Three year deal agreed with Scott Wright, talks to open with Aberdeen over switch now -DailyRecord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely if the they owe us £350,000 for McCrorie then take £200,000 (being generous) off the price to get wright in just now . No need to add jones to any deal or am I wrong ?

By all accounts even waiting till the summer we would still owe Aberdeen a development fee (rumoured to be around £300k) so unless we up the fee there is no need for Aberdeen to sell the player now.

Our signings from aberdeen usually turn out good. Dave Smith,Davie Robertson,Ryan Jack spring to mind as really good signings. We can ignore the Snelders one I think.He was just emergency back up .Neal Cooper the same.

Being realistic only Roofe, Hagi (cause of his dad) and Helander would be known to most fans, even clued up ones.
Aside from Goldson who was picking up MOTM awards in the EPL after career threatening surgery (big news) or Kamara who was a stand out in our own league.

I’d say Kent was quite well known too to be honest, Balogun played every minute of the 2018 WC for his country also.

I’d certainly expect most football fans to at least be aware of 4/5 of that list, Hagi came to world attention in his own right with his performance against England.

Obviously having his dad helped lol.

Genuinely not paid any attention to this lad, never really stuck out when I have seen Aberdeen, the stand out player in my opinion is the boy Ryan Hedges at the minute. That boy looks a threat going forward, most folk will say he's sh1te cos he plays for Aberdeen, but I think he could be a great signing. 100% would need a hair cut mind you!

Being realistic only Roofe, Hagi (cause of his dad) and Helander would be known to most fans, even clued up ones.
Kamara played in our league and played very well against us.

Kent was one of Liverpools top youths and played for them in friendlys, as well as in the Bundesliga & Championship.

Joe Aribo was being touted all over the shop.

Was a bit of a silly comment. We move on. :)

It's been posted numerous times but is worth repeating - Aberdeen could be due somewhere around 200k to 300k in development compensation for Wright if he signs in the summer.

We won't be getting him for 50k.

Genuinely not paid any attention to this lad, never really stuck out when I have seen Aberdeen, the stand out player in my opinion is the boy Ryan Hedges at the minute. That boy looks a threat going forward, most folk will say he's sh1te cos he plays for Aberdeen, but I think he could be a great signing. 100% would need a hair cut mind you!
I’m on record on here as saying I like both, Wright has much more potential than Hedges, Wright is better even just now.

Never mind Wright being 3 years younger, way behind in his development, Scottish & just a better player.

I do like Hedges though, again he’s a player I spoke about earlier in the season as impressing me.

Aside from Goldson who was picking up MOTM awards in the EPL after career threatening surgery (big news) or Kamara who was a stand out in our own league.

I’d say Kent was quite well known too to be honest, Balogun played every minute of the 2018 WC for his country also.

I’d certainly expect most football fans to at least be aware of 4/5 of that list, Hagi came to world attention in his own right with his performance against England.

Obviously having his dad helped lol.
Goldson has only played 3 games in EPL.

Judge in a Rangers jersey.

The recruitment process has earned that.

Gerrard won’t stand still, it’s not in his dna. The best we can possibly be, striving to get better and constantly improving.

Wright will takes some time to adapt to playing football on the deck instead of having the ball fly over his head all day. Give him time, I hope he works out for us.

I know literally nothing about him, hopefully he’ll be another Kamara not a Jones. This is the kind of signing I expected in this window, nothing Earth-shattering but maybe looking to pick up a bargain who we can develop. My problem is with us trying to get him in the door immediately - I don’t see any real value in doing that at a time when we need to be looking after every penny. I’d be happier keeping our money in our pockets and seeing him join up in the summer.

I know literally nothing about him, hopefully he’ll be another Kamara not a Jones. This is the kind of signing I expected in this window, nothing Earth-shattering but maybe looking to pick up a bargain who we can develop. My problem is with us trying to get him in the door immediately - I don’t see any real value in doing that at a time when we need to be looking after every penny. I’d be happier keeping our money in our pockets and seeing him join up in the summer.
We’d still need to pay them £250-£350k.

As usual, I trust the judgement of the scouting team and the management team.

A warm welcome to him, if he signs.

Surely if the they owe us £350,000 for McCrorie then take £200,000 (being generous) off the price to get wright in just now . No need to add jones to any deal or am I wrong ?
Yep. He comes on “loan” and we keep the arrangement where McCrorie can’t play against us. Sensible.

We’d still need to pay them £250-£350k.
Yes, I get that but I don’t see any point in paying anything extra on top of that just to get him in the door this window, whether that is actual cash or a reduction in the McCrorie fee. I just don’t think it would be worth it.

Yes, I get that but I don’t see any point in paying anything extra on top of that just to get him in the door this window, whether that is actual cash or a reduction in the McCrorie fee. I just don’t think it would be worth it.
I don’t think they’d be wanting more than that, if anything I think they’d take less so that they no longer have an unhappy player.

I’d rather he came in just now to be honest, I reckon he will.

Do you just not watch football then mate?

Theres quite a few in there you should have known/noticed,

What?. How? :))
Honestly lads, I do watch football, mostly Rangers and MOTD, never Sportscene and I don't know what's going on on the Continent.

In context, I'm an older Bear - there was a time in the 80's/90's when I could go to a game and pretty much know every player playing against us and most of the reserves, but I've never had Sky, don't buy Shoot magazine anymore and the modern game has passed over my head outwith Rangers.

So...I might be wrong or out of touch but I only posted the fact that all of the players I mentioned were not players I could make a judgement on.

Delighted with this from the small amounts I’ve seen him

but always caught the eye

and our coaching will take him up a level
As long as he shows the correct desire and commitment

Honestly lads, I do watch football, mostly Rangers and MOTD, never Sportscene and I don't know what's going on on the Continent.

In context, I'm an older Bear - there was a time in the 80's/90's when I could go to a game and pretty much know every player playing against us and most of the reserves, but I've never had Sky, don't buy Shoot magazine anymore and the modern game has passed over my head outwith Rangers.

So...I might be wrong or out of touch but I only posted the fact that all of the players I mentioned were not players I could make a judgement on.
Haha no worries mate, your post was meant as a good one anyway, I was just surprised at some of the players you mentioned! :))

You are spot on though, the people who are employed to scout players know better than us.

Jones is worth nothing. If it's a loan at least he gets in the shop window.

we need players with good technique, and he has that and seems quite skilful and pacey, I can see our coaching team transforming Scott Wright, Kamara style, he has the basic requisite Gerrard likes, he sees something in him as a player he can improve upon, if he listens, works hard and stays injury free, I can see him being a crowd pleaser

I’m on record on here as saying I like both, Wright has much more potential than Hedges, Wright is better even just now.

Never mind Wright being 3 years younger, way behind in his development, Scottish & just a better player.

I do like Hedges though, again he’s a player I spoke about earlier in the season as impressing me.
Sounds like you know your stuff mate, I'll gladly take that opinion of him. As I say, I can't comment on Wright as never really noticed him. But hope we are keeping eyes on Hedges. I'd swap him with Jones any day of the week.

People will jump down my throat here because you're not allowed to say anything deemed as negative just now but hopefully these deals are just for the future and we will be buying quality in the summer as i don't see how Wright and the lads from Bournemouth take us to the next level, we will need some quality for the CL.
Tbf our recruitment policy is working well overall in this way. Decent money spent on players that have massive potential or make an immediate impact like Kent, Goldson, Hagi, Roofe, Itten and Barasic. Loans with a buy clause for unknown quantities that we need to see how they cope with the change in league, like Zungu. Low cost freebies for those that look good and are worth a gamble like Hastie, Jones, Kamara, Aribo and Stewart. From the last lot, some will grasp it and realise their potential and some won’t.

We need to keep taking advantage of the cross border, low cost frees from England. Some amount of talent there that we can nurture and sell on

All in all it’s a great way to be doing things.

Any signing that improves the squad is a good signing.
Admit I haven't seen the three players mentioned play but if they are better than three of the players in the squad just now it improves us.
Great bringing in players that can start straight away but now always possible.

People will jump down my throat here because you're not allowed to say anything deemed as negative just now but hopefully these deals are just for the future and we will be buying quality in the summer as i don't see how Wright and the lads from Bournemouth take us to the next level, we will need some quality for the CL.
Not jumping down you're throat but If we take £50k Kamara singed from 2nd division Dundee as an example. Think of some of the good quality European midfielders he's left chasing his shadow the last couple of seasons with the benefit of proper coaching.

Please don't tell me he can't make the step up to champions League standard. Glenn is only an example. We have numerous players who are excelling under a thoroughly professional coaching ethos. We might not win the champions League but theres absolutely no doubt we can compete at a higher level.

This is the way forward for Rangers from now on regardless of who occupies the manager's office and for very good reason. We've tried the other method in a bid to progress in Europe. It's short sighted , it's unsustainable and only idiots don't learn from their mistakes.

As a matter of interest, when we talk of getting quality players for the CL. What or who is quality and what price bracket are we talking that is realistically within our remit?

As a matter of interest, when we talk of getting quality players for the CL. What or who is quality and what price bracket are we talking that is realistically within our remit?
Tbh I think our squad is 3rd place CL group level, comfortably.

I’d be aiming to qualify from the group if we got a decent draw (Group C,D or F for example).

Obviously we would need to increase the overall quality of the squad & with CL money + assets being sold we could do that.

“CL quality” is an ambiguous statement to be honest, but I think our current squad is good enough to compete.

Ergo, keep doing what we are doing by getting young guys in & developing but maybe a bit further up the food chain.

Jones would be a very good signing for them. No-brainer for us to move him on in return for a young, promising winger though.
Jones on a loan surely? No way is he being given a transfer to Aberdeen for a guy who is free in the Summer.

I don't think that works either with Ross on loan atm. Imo it would be mad to strengthen the sheep with Jones on a perm. Has the talent to hurt us in games.

Negative?
What is there to be negative about?
We’d all like an improvement in quality but, I’d be quite happy if we went into the CL next season with our current squad.
Extended deals for those ending summer 22 of course.

I think it’s ok to be “whelmed” at these signings - would be being a bit of a happy clapper to be over the moon at them. They do however all make a degree of sense, and while the recruitment team have not got everything right they’ve certainly got enough of a track record to give them the benefit of the doubt. Simpson in particular I’d be optimistic about given how long he’s been a target, I presume Scoulding is a big fan.

Rangers are expected to confirm the pre-contract signing of Aberdeen’s Scott Wright.

The league leaders, who are also close to signing similar deals with Bournemouth pair Jack Simpson and Nnamdi Ofoborh, have thrashed out a three-year deal that will see the attacking midfielder move to Ibrox in the summer.

Steven Gerrard’s side are then expected to re-open talks with the Dons to get an immediate deal done before Monday’s transfer deadline.

There has been talk of a player swap, including Rangers winger Jordan Jones, while Aberdeen are also due to pay a £350,000 fee for Ross McCrorie in the summer, so either or both of these could come into the equation.

Rangers are set to clinch deals for defender Simpson and midfielder Ofoborh, although they look to get players out first.
George Edmundson and Jones could both go out on-loan, although the big defender’s prospect could depend on how his rehabilitation, after minor groin surgery, goes over the next week or so.
The Light Blues are also watching KV Oostende frontman Fashion Sakala, who is also a free agent in the summer.
Who, coincidentally, scored against Royal Antwerp yesterday in a 2-1 win for Oostende.

Not yet.

With the player/agent saying it's 90% done and Gerrard acknowledging it, I reckon it may happen in the summer when Defoe is gone

You think Defoe is leaving? I got the impression the plan was for him to transition into the backroom staff here full time when he finally hangs up his boots.

If you go back to pre-season threads there was a cry of 'No way a team signing frees like Bassey, Balogun and Mclaughlin is winning this league'.

I am sure the club know what is required and IN BUDGET to get us where we want to be. They are doing a fantastic job. Trust them.

Look at it this way Wright replaces Jones/Stewart.
The midfielder from Bournemouth will probably replace Zungu in the summer and the defender from Bournemouth replaces Edmunson.
We will add quality to tbe squad in the summer but it will probably involve selling 1 or 2 key assets.
I might be in the minority here but, I don’t think Zungu is going anywhere.
I’m not that certain he’s not one of those that the loan is a must buy.

Tbh I think our squad is 3rd place CL group level, comfortably.

I’d be aiming to qualify from the group if we got a decent draw (Group C,D or F for example).

Obviously we would need to increase the overall quality of the squad & with CL money + assets being sold we could do that.

“CL quality” is an ambiguous statement to be honest, but I think our current squad is good enough to compete.

Ergo, keep doing what we are doing by getting young guys in & developing but maybe a bit further up the food chain.
I think the aim for us every year has to be at least CL groups and finishing third in the groups and going on a decent run in Europa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back