Three year deal agreed with Scott Wright, talks to open with Aberdeen over switch now -DailyRecord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be inclined to let this run till the summer as he won't be needed or maybe even be able to get into the team anyhow so whats the rush .
However if SG wants him in now to get the work started on his game ,who are we to argue .
Whatever will be

I think the aim for us every year has to be at least CL groups and finishing third in the groups and going on a decent run in Europa
I’d be content with that, like I said I’d be aiming for second if we get a good draw (the groups I listed above).

I suppose it’s a case of we

A) get the CL money, come 3rd & go on a run in the Europa with ambition of quarters at least.

B) get second in CL, get the money but are unlikely to challenge at the top end.

I’d be content with either, but I would have a genuine ambition for EL semi’s if we continue our trajectory.

It’s exciting even having this conversation!.

People will jump down my throat here because you're not allowed to say anything deemed as negative just now but hopefully these deals are just for the future and we will be buying quality in the summer as i don't see how Wright and the lads from Bournemouth take us to the next level, we will need some quality for the CL.

What makes you think these are the only players we are going to be bringing in for next season? Pointless moaning with no substance.

I’m on record on here as saying I like both, Wright has much more potential than Hedges, Wright is better even just now.

Never mind Wright being 3 years younger, way behind in his development, Scottish & just a better player.

I do like Hedges though, again he’s a player I spoke about earlier in the season as impressing me.
Wright caught my eye earlier in the season but that was against the scum and, just like against us, it’s never a good time to judge a player.
Ditto with Hedges.
Although, this time, it was that he looked good against us but I haven’t seen him much more than this.

Hold on, were the Record not saying on Saturday that deals for the Bournemouth boys were done? Now they're "almost" done?

How much better is Wright than Jake Hastie - a player whose signing I never quite understood.
Jake Hastie made complete sense, he was the form player in the SPL as a 19 year old kid who just started getting top flight games.

We paid £350k for an in form, young Scottish player so if he works out we have a great prospect for peanuts & if he doesn’t then it’s no loss.

That’s the good thing about this pre contract punts, the reward far outweighs the risk.

Even with a Hastie, get them in on a pre contract & loan them out to raise their value if it’s evident they won’t make it us.

We can turn a profit if they perform out on loan, sadly in Jake’s case that hasn’t happened but it’ll work in the future.

In regards to Wright, Hastie can’t make the Motherwell team & Wright is one of Aberdeen’s better players.

I rate him much higher than Hastie, technically better & fits our system a lot better.

Last edited:
People will jump down my throat here because you're not allowed to say anything deemed as negative just now but hopefully these deals are just for the future and we will be buying quality in the summer as i don't see how Wright and the lads from Bournemouth take us to the next level, we will need some quality for the CL.
I'm going against the majority probably, don't fancy Scott Wright at all.
Willing to apologise if proved wrong.

We don't have the cash to be spunking on big names every transfer. We are a selling team and have to take punts on raw talent coming up and hope to mould them in to really good players. If people jump down your throat its because your comment was fucking daft.

The thing with these signings is that, for all we have seen these guys play for their respective clubs. Our coaches must have studied them to the point that they have decided that in the right environment, they can be fine tuned into players that will return a fee when we develop them.

Because In reality, we are at the minute a development club for the bigger hitters.

The biggest example of this is Kamara. We will absolutley get a fee in the millions for him when we only paid £50k.

These guys might never be legends for our club, but a run of games within a season where they do well will see us recoup any outlay possibly 10fold, so that's why I dont get out my pram when we sign guys that are not a name or not a big hitter in some crazy out there league.

In Gerrard I trust. You should too

When this was first mooted, I saw the merits of having a young, home grown player come in to put pressure on kent, and give us more scots in the squad for Europe. However, I am now left wondering, what about kai Kennedy? Both play the same position, surely he is capable of pushing kent after another 6 months of championship under his belt? Or do we think he will be loaned out again? I throw this out there given his recent contract dispute which seemed to evolve around 1st team opportunities..

Yeah mate, I'm totally underwhelmed too.
FFS look at that Finnish guy from Dundee as well .

Reactions: TQ3
Yeah mate, I'm totally underwhelmed too.
FFS look at that Finnish guy from Dundee as well .
His point is not totally invalid. Wright is not a player who improves our 11. Granted, he probably is an upgrade on Stewart and Jones, and therefore improves our squad depth, but I have no doubt Wilson, gerrard and the board will bring in starting 11 quality in the summer

One thing I wonder about is if Jordan Jones’ Rangers career would have been different had he joined in January 2019 as Kamara did. At the time I think he would have got the run of games he’s never really had, and whilst possible attitude issues may always have reared their head I think it would have been better for him.

Jake Hastie made complete sense, he was the form player in the SPL as a 19 year old kid who just started getting top flight games.

We paid £350k for an in form, young Scottish player so if he works out we have a great prospect for peanuts & if he doesn’t then it’s no loss.

That’s the good thing about this pre contract punts, the reward far outweighs the risk.

Even with a Hastie, get them in on a pre contract & loan them out to raise their value if it’s evident they won’t make it us.

We can turn a profit if they perform out on loan, sadly in Jake’s case that hasn’t happened but it’ll work in the future.

In regards to Wright, Hastie can’t make the Motherwell team & Wright is one of Aberdeen’s better players.

I rate him much higher than Hastie, technically better & fits our system a lot better.
But if Hastie can't find a place in a rather average Motherwell team, then the coaching he received at Rangers, and the 'loan spells he was farmed out on, haven't improved him at all. In fact, you could say that since signing for Rangers his development has actually regressed, and his potential transfer value likewise.

Our main immediate first team targets won’t be done until CL is guaranteed imo. We’ll always look at Scottish talent whenever they’re available because I think we want to keep a core of Scottish players.

I don’t think they’d be wanting more than that, if anything I think they’d take less so that they no longer have an unhappy player.

I’d rather he came in just now to be honest, I reckon he will.
If we’re expecting to sell players in summer, I’d say it makes a lot of sense getting some in to bed in as early as possible before any euro qualifiers. Spending a little now reduces risk of losing qualifiers and a lot of money.

Excellent, should be easy enough to come to an agreement & get him here just now.
It should. However, a reminder to those thinking we can wave £50k at the Sheep and get him on a bargain like Kamara. Aberdeen will be due a Dev Fee for Wright. That will apply whether we get him now or wait until Sumner. Since he’s been with them since before the age of 12 that will be substantial. Hastie, from Motherwell, was in a similar position and we agreed a fee of circa £350k to avoid going to a Tribunal. Any fee is likely to be in the same ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back