Thursday is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't speaking after the event but I don't give a feck about Thursday. If offered winning on Thursday or seeing the League cup (which we have won more than any other club) back at Ibrox I'd take the latter all day long. This is Rangers football club and our cup record for a decade has been atrocious. Savco are dangerously close to overtaking our trophy count. We aren't winning the Europa and a domestic cup win could have pushed us on in the league. I'm honestly not bothered about Thursday not after watching that abject surrender today to a pish Hibs side.

I'd rather a great day out, winning a trophy, than proceeding in a second rate European competition, that we're not going to win.
I know exactly what you mean mate.
The cup final is better for us, but we need as much income as we can get just now and getting through the Europa league makes much more.
We shouldn't really be having the debate tbf, we should be winning the Cup and progressing in Europe.

We are Rangers, remember those days where we played to win everything?

Not any more. Some of our supports standard and expectations are that of an Aston Villa/Newcastle fan, who they laugh at and label a diddy club.

Remember their own words; big clubs win trophies when labelling the likes of Newcastle and Aston Villa small time.

Yet again we are out a cup competition and the excuses are being rolled out.

I would normally say Europe is more important than the League Cup, but our dreadful record in domestic cups since we came back up, and him fecking up, meant that a win in one of them would have been more important.

In the grand scheme of things it probably is in terms of finances. But it's now going to be at least 11 years without Rangers winning one of the two major cup competitions and that's unacceptable.

For the first 4/5 years after 2012 there was a valid excuse, and it would have been remarkable to have won any in that time, but we this is the 6th season since we came back to the top flight and we've appeared in just ONE cup final in that time and are continually found wanting in domestic knockout competitions.

I've laughed off suggestions of lack of bottle and the rest over the previous seasons but it now looks like those who throw those accusations may have a point. We had a Treble for the taking last season and blew it, but the league was the main thing so I overlooked it. But Sunday was a disgrace on all fronts and there is something clearly wrong with the team when they can't raise their game for a cup tie. You can get one or two bad days and lose unluckily. But it's now the norm that Rangers fail to turn up in these games and it needs addressing. Hopefully Gio is the man to do it.

Sorry but what absolute nonsense!

No matter what happens on Thursday we are likely to still have European football after Xmas. Winning on Sunday was far far more important. Our domestic cup record the last 10 years is utterly pathetic and needs sorting out.

In the grand scheme of things it probably is in terms of finances. But it's now going to be at least 11 years without Rangers winning one of the two major cup competitions and that's unacceptable.

For the first 4/5 years after 2012 there was a valid excuse, and it would have been remarkable to have won any in that time, but we this is the 6th season since we came back to the top flight and we've appeared in just ONE cup final in that time and are continually found wanting in domestic knockout competitions.

I've laughed off suggestions of lack of bottle and the rest over the previous seasons but it now looks like those who throw those accusations may have a point. We had a Treble for the taking last season and blew it, but the league was the main thing so I overlooked it. But Sunday was a disgrace on all fronts and there is something clearly wrong with the team when they can't raise their game for a cup tie. You can get one or two bad days and lose unluckily. But it's now the norm that Rangers fail to turn up in these games and it needs addressing. Hopefully Gio is the man to do it.
The league cup is not a major competition - times have changed. In fact I would like to see Rangers not even enter this outdated guff. The league has to be won at all costs.

We needed to play more games to qualify for the group stage of the Europa league than is required to win the league cup.

Shellick will have played Hearts (home) , Raith (home) , St J and Hivs. It hardly an epic journey or achievement.

Wonder if some of our players will think Thursday's game is important enough for them to actually show some fight. Every game should be treated with the same importance. Certain players should be embarrassed by performance and statements made after Sunday. If they don't want work and put effort in even when we are getting beaten they shouldn't be hear.
Get the finger out and remember who pays your wages and why you wear our jersey. Thursday's game is just as important as Sunday's game. We want and need results. If players don't go somewhere else.

I’m not one to start a thread normally but several hours after that defeat I’m probably on stage 5 (acceptance) of the Kubler Ross change curve.

Thursday’s game is more important in my mind.

Bring them on.
Wins matter, trophies matter, success is everything 2nd place means nothing

This one game is more important than other is nonsense and not what our players or club our fans mindsets should be

This next game is massive in so many ways, Gio's first game, determines our trajectory in europe, It's at Ibrox, may set the tone for the next few weeks. Last one was huge too and we really made an arse of it but have to forget that and move onto this next phase of the season, starting on thursday

I thought at the time the coaching team had chucked it on Sunday with the substitutions made prioritising Thursdays game over hauling back a 2 goal deficit. That game was not only the players surrendering but also our coaching team. That's not the ethos of our club and Sunday was not what we as a support ever want to see again.

The league cup is not a major competition - times have changed. In fact I would like to see Rangers not even enter this outdated guff. The league has to be won at all costs.

I'm sorry, but we have not won a cup since 2011 so I think it matters. Not as much as the league, the Scottish Cup or Europe of course and in the fulness of time it won't hurt so much if we go on to win the league, but it still stings to lose it, and especially in such a cack-handed way as on Sunday. We are only a few trophy wins ahead of the scum and if they continue clawing that back and overtake us you will never hear the end of their claims to the most successful club in the world, so it's also important on that score. There's also the boost it gives a team to win the cup early in the season and it has often driven a team on to further success. Only one team can now win The Treble so think of that too.

The league does have to be won this season and we are still in a good place there, though the way we've been playing this season is a worry going into this run of fixtures over the next 6 weeks or so. Here's hoping Gio can give them the kick up the backside required.

Financially Thursday is more important I agree. The money won for winning the league cup is buttons compared to a sustained European run.

However we are a club that was built on success and that success is winning trophies. We are in our 6th season back in the top flight and our cup record is quite frankly bordering on embarrassing.

I’m not one to start a thread normally but several hours after that defeat I’m probably on stage 5 (acceptance) of the Kubler Ross change curve.

Bring them on.
Financially yes, Reputationally yes, As a fan possibly not...Personally i would taken the European win (given the group table) over the cup semi-final win but I suspect that may be a divisive opinion...I do fear a hiding Thursday night hope to be prove wrong...

Money wise Thursday is more important than Sunday as if we qualify for the next round it will bring us more money than the league Cup.but it would have been nice to win the league Cup.

Europe is massive for us, however this acceptance that’s creeping in that a mediocre European run is more important than trophies needs to stop.

We are a club built on trophies, it’s our biggest claim.
So much so that we plaster our achievements in 50 foot lettering on the front of our stadium!
We can not allow ourselves to stop caring about being the champions of a competition.

In the same breath……..Thursday is a must win and European football after Christmas is essential for our club.

Rangers eh?!
While I agree with you mate.the league Cup dosn,t make us the same amount of money are the europa league.so purely from a financial point of view the europa league is more important for the club.

Every game is important, I’m unsure what people are expecting after 2 days training. If we are to get a new manager bounce it can only be achieved with desire and determination so let’s hope we see that improve tonight

Every game is important, I’m unsure what people are expecting after 2 days training. If we are to get a new manager bounce it can only be achieved with desire and determination so let’s hope we see that improve tonight
Expecting nowt but praying for the needed miracle.

Hope springs eternal.

Rangers 4 life.

While I agree with you mate.the league Cup dosn,t make us the same amount of money are the europa league.so purely from a financial point of view the europa league is more important for the club.
You are totally right.
I’ve calmed down slightly from Sunday now.
It’s just so frustrating that a Celtic team largely full of players who haven’t won anything in Scotland, are going to likely win a trophy that’s evaded us for a decade.

You are totally right.
It’s just so frustrating that a Celtic team largely full of players who haven’t won anything in Scotland, are going to likely win a trophy that’s evaded us for a decade.
I agree mate.but at the end of the day celtic have a chance of winning the league Cup. Mainly due to our teams woeful performance on Sunday.
But there is still the league to be won ,the Scottish Cup and the next stage of the europa league.
That's is if the players gets their thumbs out of their bums.hopefully our new manager will take no prisoners and we will get a reaction from the players.

You are totally right.
I agree mate.but at the end of the day celtic have a chance of winning the league Cup. Mainly due to our teams woeful performance on Sunday.
But there is still the league to be won ,the Scottish Cup and the next stage of the europa league.
That's is if the players gets their thumbs out of their bums.hopefully our new manager will take no prisoners and we will get a reaction from the players.

I await the Sunday is more important thread if we don't win on Thursday.
Both are important mate. But financially the europa league is more important to the club. That in no way is meant to excuse the miserable performance from the team on Sunday.

It's only more important cos its the next chance to put right our latest domestic cup %^*& up. If I'd been offered before Sunday which one I would rather have won I'd have picked Sunday.

There's a suggestion these days that earning money from a run in Europe as opposed to winning a major(?) domestic cup competition is enough for some people whilst they guffaw at fans of what they think are diddy clubs for thinking the same thing.

Bring them on.
Sunday is even more so.

They have been gifted the league cup because our players attitude was shite. That is hard to take. Especially the amount they are paid. All they have to do is play football.

How difficult can it be to turn up with the right attitude?

I don’t know how to say this but I agree with both of these. Winning breeds winning and another slump on Thursday could be catastrophic for us. So we have to win for
me but ultimately it’s a nothing game. We aren’t going deep in the europa - I’d be Shocked if we got past the play off round so it is somewhat meaningless if it wasn’t for the need to quickly start winning games.
We need something to give our season a shot in the arm, if that comes from a win tomorrow and effective qualification into the knockout rounds then great.

More than ever it is about winning the next game in front of us.

Europe is a money maker and not much more for us these days so progressing is important. 2008 was once in a lifetime if we’re honest so Europe for us is about making as much money as we can.
However, to say it’s more important than actually winning a trophy is nonsense.

They have been gifted the league cup because our players attitude was shite. That is hard to take. Especially the amount they are paid. All they have to do is play football.

How difficult can it be to turn up with the right attitude?
Not disagreeing with you mate.

Totally agree but only for the financial benefit to the club
Right at this moment in time Thursdays game and the dosh that goes with it is 100% more important for our long term future. Sunday was embarrassing on many levels and I get the frustration. However, I said at the start of the season that League and Europearn football deep into new year we’re the big ticket items. We are still in fragile financial state. This needs to be sorted first. I will worry about cups when we are 100% stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back