Tillman and the rumoured 5m price

Would you pay the £5m to make it a permanent deal?

• Total voters
Running about a lot doesn't mean you're a good player. He might not be all action for 90 mins but he picks his times and can produce real quality. How many times does he steal the ball or intercept a pass compared someone who is a bit more busy looking ?

There was a point during the game on Monday where he got in the face of 3 of them and none of players backed him up, they just looked over and walked away. He definitely does have a little bit of fight In him.

The boys going to have a good career and we should be a good starting platform and also making a profit from it.

I think we would all love to keep all 3 but I agree with ecossebear that it's not such a simple decision as that.

We spent around £12m on transfers last summer which is the most we have spent in recent years. Most years we've been very consistent in spending around £10m.

The question for me isn't "do we want to keep Tillman" but "do we want to spend half our transfer budget on the no. 10 position?"

There are so many areas of the park which urgently need investment. Once Lawrence and Hagi are back playing, the no. 10 position will be one of our strongest areas on the park and really not a priority position for where we invest our limited resources imo.

I don't believe we can rebuild this whole squad spending only £5-7m on players outwith Tillman. If Morelos and Kent both go, we'll struggle to replace just those two with real quality for under £5m. Before you even think about the GK, CM, RW and other positions.
Michael Beale himself said he sees Tillman more as an attacking 8. Lawrence can also play that position. In fact, so can Hagi. So you have 3 players that can play in different positions. No issue there on that front.

As for the financial matter, no offense but you should leave that to the club to deal with. Michael Beale WANTS to keep Malik Tillman, he's said as much. We've just given Hagi a new extended deal. I don't see us getting rid of Lawrence any time soon either. The club must know what their plan is in terms of finances and how much they know/think they need to spend on transfers.

Don't get suckered into thinking we're in dire straits just because there's an element on this board (and other boards...) that forcefully try and tell us we are.

I think we would all love to keep all 3 but I agree with ecossebear that it's not such a simple decision as that.

We spent around £12m on transfers last summer which is the most we have spent in recent years. Most years we've been very consistent in spending around £10m.

The question for me isn't "do we want to keep Tillman" but "do we want to spend half our transfer budget on the no. 10 position?"

There are so many areas of the park which urgently need investment. Once Lawrence and Hagi are back playing, the no. 10 position will be one of our strongest areas on the park and really not a priority position for where we invest our limited resources imo.

I don't believe we can rebuild this whole squad spending only £5-7m on players outwith Tillman. If Morelos and Kent both go, we'll struggle to replace just those two with real quality for under £5m. Before you even think about the GK, CM, RW and other positions.
I agree with what you are saying given the previous financial allocations. However ultimately the question for me is are we spending enough ?
Is this not the main issue rather than whether we should buy Tillman.I think that we should.
£12 million for an aging squad that needs rebuilt is not enough.Surely the club will need to dig deeper and find the extra cash for a restructure ?
The other issue for me is whether Hagi and Lawarence are going to be the same players and whether they will actually stay fit.
Tillman all going well is heading towards being one of the most talented players in Scotland.He will more than likely make the club money.
We can't imo have long term European aspirations and we will also struggle to win the league if we don't rebuild and spend more. A look at our subs compared to their bench on Monday clearly showed that.
I won't go into an opinion on how we have spent our money recently however getting ahold ofTillman was a very good move .

We can't imo have long term European aspirations and we will also struggle to win the league if we don't rebuild and spend more. A look at our subs compared to their bench on Monday clearly showed that.
I won't go into an opinion on how we have spent our money recently however getting ahold ofTillman was a very good move .
Our bench compared to theirs is why we drew, I'm fairly certain of it.

Would pay that for Tillman. Only have to look at the fans negative views on Aribo when he arrived and how much we have missed him this season. Tillman is the type of player who enhances our team. £5 million for a player of his abilities is worth taking the punt. He will only get better once we have a settled team.

Yes... he's still only 20 years old... and pretty much growing to be one of our best players...

I get people are frustrated with his work rate at times... but in the role he plays he will drift in and out of games.

He's very close to a copy of Aribo and I reckon ability wise he could exceed him by some distance especially when it comes to end product.

Would pay that for Tillman. Only have to look at the fans negative views on Aribo when he arrived and how much we have missed him this season. Tillman is the type of player who enhances our team. £5 million for a player of his abilities is worth taking the punt. He will only get better once we have a settled team.

Very much agreed.

People asking for the consistency now..he’s only 20, this season is about seeing what we are working with. And he has great potential. Definitely sign him but NOT sands.

The only player in our team with proper quality and we are having a poll
People want midfielders to be getting the boot in and running about like a headless chicken. When you look around Europe and see the eye-watering fees you get for average players then £5m is probably fair for Tillman.

I think there are folk on here who are the same as our Board that see every signing as money lost and not as an investment.

The £5m doesn’t disappear out the door. It should be spending £5m for him to contribute then be moved on for way more than that.

Can’t have a “player trading model”
If every player is a free transfer.

Show me a better player than Tillman on the market for £5 or less with better sell on potential who we could realistically sign, I think its worth the outlay...
That being said I would be disappointed it that was our marquee signing of the summer so I understand the price tag hesitation. I'm hoping that the outlay is partly covered already would feel like a cop out by the board if the majority of next years budget is on last years player although I admit I know very little about how finance works at this level.

I think there are folk on here who are the same as our Board that see every signing as money lost and not as an investment.

The £5m doesn’t disappear out the door. It should be spending £5m for him to contribute then be moved on for way more than that.

Can’t have a “player trading model”
If every player is a free transfer.

Agree, but free transfers can still be a part of the model of course.

This is the area where we are behind them. We’ve progressed but surely Tillman is, as you say, an investment.

Arguably one of our best players this season while the rest of the team have looked short of confidence and up until recently had no clear direction. Think he will flourish under Beale and has something no one else in our team has. Top of the list for me come the summer.

100% pay that. You can see he will be an outstanding talent. He is still young. But the potential on ability and the money we will make on him makes the £5m worth it. Also worth noting it will already have been agreed that we pay it up. Won't be £5m in one go. Only down side if it's believed is Bayern would have a buy back clause and that would be set at if I recall just over £10m. Not sure if that's accurate but would a quick £5m profit if Bayern come back quickly or if any other team makes an offer first

£5M to buy an absolute asset of a 20 year old who with the right coaching will be worth a forture - all day long.

Mad how many people cant see a footballer right in front of their eyes and want to focus on 'heart'
As I said above thought. If the buy back option exists with Bayern it wouldn't matter if he does a Bassey and is valued at say £20m Bayern get him.back for probably half of that.

£5 million plus wages around 25 grand a week over say a 3 year contract is around 10 million. If we want to make profit then we would have to negotiate with Bayern regarding his possible buy back fee. Its ok saying 5 million to buy but there are other costs to consider. Personally I would take the opportunity to sign him rather than spunk money on some 30 something out of contract player who has no value.

A very difficult one.

It’s almost like £5m to stand still, but he’s got so much potential.

I see Brighton getting Mitoma for £4.5m and Leeds getting Gnonto for £3.8m and I do wonder if we could get a more effective player for the money - or even two!

Bassey was outstanding in Europe and domestically, Tillman is nowhere near those level of performances, to suggest he’s worth 25 mill is crazy, there isn’t a club in the world who would pay that for him.
Bassey had a v poor first 6 months n comparison to second half of last season so is not completely out of context

A very difficult one.

It’s almost like £5m to stand still, but he’s got so much potential.

I see Brighton getting Mitoma for £4.5m and Leeds getting Gnonto for £3.8m and I do wonder if we could get a more effective player for the money - or even two!
How is it £5m to stand still? He’s 20 years old so you’d have to be confident we’ve only scratched the surface of his ability and a proven coach like Beale can take his game to another level.

Unsure if I’m honest. I rate him but I feel for 5m we could do better, and get someone more consistent. Proper scouting could see us landing a player exactly like Tillman at a fraction of the price.

Unsure if I’m honest. I rate him but I feel for 5m we could do better, and get someone more consistent. Proper scouting could see us landing a player exactly like Tillman at a fraction of the price.

At the same sort of age with the same sort of potential?

Not so sure.

i would keep him yes he is inconsistent half his problem is (not really his problem) he is 2 moves faster than his team mates with the exception of Lowry

both have a very fast football brain and it sometimes makes him look look like he is making mistakes

when often its his team mates just cant read the game the way he does

Decision should be made come the end of the season

Jury very much still out for me.

Capable of magic but also capable of long spells in games of being anonymous

How is it £5m to stand still? He’s 20 years old so you’d have to be confident we’ve only scratched the surface of his ability and a proven coach like Beale can take his game to another level.
£5m to keep a member of the squad that’s already here, when we might be able to get two new players for that price.

I like Tillman though, he might be worth it, but we’d need further bodies on top of it having already spent £5m on him.

Either way, we shouldn’t decide until the very end of the season.

£5m to keep a member of the squad that’s already here, when we might be able to get two new players for that price.

I like Tillman though, he might be worth it, but we’d need further bodies on top of it having already spent £5m on him.

Like 2 Matondo's?

£5M to buy an absolute asset of a 20 year old who with the right coaching will be worth a forture - all day long.

Mad how many people cant see a footballer right in front of their eyes and want to focus on 'heart'
A fortune? People are comparing him to aribo and we let him go for £6m days after he scored on a European final

It's £5m for an already settled player who we know what he can offer us and knows what to do and we can see the potential he has first hand. I'm not saying he's worth 5m but things like this is invaluable when you look at the money we've spent on duds.

Those two new players might come in and not be able to handle it or simply don't suit the style of football here, if they're even good enough to get a starting 11 spot

I get your view point but sometimes paying a bit extra for players you know can do a job is worth it, see Kent

Like 2 Matondo's?
Or a Wilfried Gnonto with £1.2m left for another player, or a Kaoru Mitoma with £500,000 left for a decent free with wages?

Don’t always have to look down the negative route mate, we could get two first team players for that IF the work is put in.

It's £5m for an already settled player who we know what he can offer us and knows what to do and we can see the potential he has first hand. I'm not saying he's worth 5m but things like this is invaluable when you look at the money we've spent on duds.

Those two new players might come in and not be able to handle it or simply don't suit the style of football here, if they're even good enough to get a starting 11 spot

I get your view point but sometimes paying a bit extra for players you know can do a job is worth it, see Kent
Yep, agree with all.

However, we’re six months in with Tillman and we don’t really know if he’s 100% suited for this style of football yet.

So as I said, let’s wait until the end of the season and assess everything.

Or a Wilfried Gnonto with £1.2m left for another player, or a Kaoru Mitoma with £500,000 left for a decent free with wages?

Don’t always have to look down the negative route mate, we could get two first team players for that IF the work is put in.

Problem is we have Ross Wilson at the helm. So there's more chance of a Matondo than a good find.

Back