To those saying no progress

You mention progress on your Thread title.

That debacle in Luxembourg was enough for me.

Progress my ar**

I agree with you - we are better than last year but are not good enough yet. Frankly, we should have had the game won at half time but, for whatever reason, the team lost heart and purpose after Well scored the first goal.
ffs you must have watched a different game from me. Apart from John's header and Windass's tame shot straight at their goalie I cannot think of another decent effort on goal from us during first half. You seem to suggest that 'Well created nothing during first 45 - I can clearly recall a miraculous goal line block from Jack stopping a certain Well goal as well as an excellent fingertip save from Alnwick.
As a team we lack passion and heart, have no desire to dig deep when required. We are little more than 3rd or 4th best team in the country which is jyst another way of saying we are making up the numbers.
For Rangers this is simply unforgiveable.

Where to start with this.

After 9 league games:

Last year: 14 points
This year: 17 points
Last year: 11 scored
This year: 20 scored
Last year: 11 condeded
This year: 11 conceded
Last year: 4th in the table
This year: 3rd in the table
Last year: 3 behind Hearts, 7 behind Aberdeen, 8 behind Celtic (with their 1 in hand so really 11 behind)
This year: 6 behind Aberdeen, 6 behind Celtic

This year net spend: £6m.

The next 5 games should be all winnable and see us get at least 3 points closer to Aberdeen. Let's talk in 3 weeks.

This for me. There IS improvement in the overall league form and performances but granted it's not as much as we would all like. I'll add a few more things that I see as positives / progress (concentrating on league here):

- Patrick draw aside, we've disposed of the "diddy" teams fairly comfortably in the league so far. Dundee, Ross County, Hamilton, St J all beaten with goals to spare. Yes - we should be doing this regularly bit it was something that we struggled to do last season (no wins against Ross County ffs!) and one of the first things that needed to be addressed this season.

- Away form under Pedro has generally been excellent, his overall away record is not far off title challenging material (13 out of 15 this season) and his best result last season was away too (Aberdeen). Lack of Ibrox form is worrying but should improve over next few home games and hopefully breed confidence to kick on from there.

- Goals - 20 in 9 games is a decent tally and fairly evenly spread around midfield / strikers too. 4 times already we've scored 3 or more and if I recall correctly , we didn't even manage that once last season until Feb / March.

- Almost all of Pedros major signings have shown enough quality in patches for me to believe that they can go on to be successful for us if they can find consistency and confidence (even Pena). But I get that is up for debate and a players quality or otherwise is often in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not oblivious to the negatives btw and agree that Pedros big game record is a major concern. Yesterday was a tough watch and a poor performance overall, so deflating after the high of the St j result. But I do think the refs lack of proper action on their thuggery was an important factor and that we could and should have won if not for poor finishing when it mattered most.

So for now, I'm still in the stick with Pedro camp and think he should be given at least the next 7 games (up to and including sheep double header) to see if he can finally get some momentum going. Minority opinion at the moment but that's the way I see it, time and patience still required. But I also think that defeat on Wednesday and / or Saturday will see him gone as the pressure and negativity will be too much for the board not to act.

I hope to %^*& he turns this round for us, I really do.

Come on here and it’s like people just listen to media same shite then come on here ranting first he couldn’t beat a top six now it’s he can’t win three in a row ffs start to look and think for yourselves as they say here it often enough you start to believe

I think it’s fair to say we were on top in the first half and should have had some daylight between us and them. But we didn’t and that’s really all that matters. They got their tails up and we lost too many individual battles. I truly could not see where a goal was coming from, we were flaccid in front of goals.

Where to start with this.

After 9 league games:

Last year: 14 points
This year: 17 points
Last year: 11 scored
This year: 20 scored
Last year: 11 condeded
This year: 11 conceded
Last year: 4th in the table
This year: 3rd in the table
Last year: 3 behind Hearts, 7 behind Aberdeen, 8 behind Celtic (with their 1 in hand so really 11 behind)
This year: 6 behind Aberdeen, 6 behind Celtic

This year net spend: £6m.

The next 5 games should be all winnable and see us get at least 3 points closer to Aberdeen. Let's talk in 3 weeks.
Well said,facts

To be honest, we are have too many players who aren't of the quality required. Replace Windass with a Sinclair, we're 2 up at half-time. Quality...

I suppose there is progress. We used to be really shi* and now we are just shi*.

Not really good enough though is it.

Reckon if you were to dig up some threads around this stage last season they would read similar to this one.

We won 9 games from October to January last year anyone confident we will match that?

We even managed 4 on the trot in December.

To be honest, we are have too many players who aren't of the quality required. Replace Windass with a Sinclair, we're 2 up at half-time. Quality...

But we don't have the money for a Sinclair. Thus we need a manager to get the very best of our squad and to spend the available money wisely.

Windass repeatedly lets us down. It's not a surprise when he fails to perform. Yet he's continually picked. That's down to the manager.

We have one goal less than top of the league.

I took until 3rd december last season to score the number of league goals we already have this season.

But our results still falter and we have a win rate of just over 50% and only 1 win from 4 at home in the league.

As I said, it’s a different product but the very similar outcome in terms of no momentum or going on a run of results*

*when I say a “run”.... 3 positive results would be a nice start.

if we bossed it why didnt we win the game we were bullied by them and ran out of ideas with the constant high ball to Morelos

Worst ever European Result
25 year record v the sheep
Worst ever home defeat v the bheasts
First semi final defeat in over 80 years to the bheasts
Cannot win 3 games in a row
Beaten by a very average Motherwell team in a cup semi final.

If that's progress I'd hate to see his failures.

Did we expect instant success on our budget .Pedro needs at least two further windows before we can realistically begin to evaluate and a couple of years thereafter for him to build his own team

when he first arrived i expected him to sort out warburtons team so we wouldnt get hammered by the poets.. he fails.

We get him in early to avoid going out of europe early, he failed.

He's now had 4 months with the majority of his own team and we're no better off than last season, he failing so far.

How much longer and how much cash do we give him? he has shown nothing as a manager. Zilch.

when he first arrived i expected him to sort out warburtons team so we wouldnt get hammered by the poets.. he fails.

We get him in early to avoid going out of europe early, he failed.

He's now had 4 months with the majority of his own team and we're no better off than last season, he failing so far.

How much longer and how much cash do we give him? he has shown nothing as a manager. Zilch.
Well like you say he's had four months .

You mention progress on your Thread title.

That debacle in Luxembourg was enough for me.

Progress my ar**

30bg4r7.gif[

Comparing the stats from last season to this season after the same number of games is seriously flawed.

Last season, at this stage, we had played both Celtic and Aberdeen away from home.

Season to date, we've had 3 of the bigger boys (Celtic, Hearts, Hibs) at home and come out with a solitary point.

There has been ZERO progress under Pedro despite significant investment in the summer.

He should not have survived the Progres debacle...however he absolutely had to hit the ground running in the league and he has failed to do so.

The semi defeat to Motherwell is the latest in a long line of disasters.

If we were doing any better in the league, we'd either be 3 behind Celtic or level with them. That would exceed expectations if we are honest.
The fact is that we are doing better than under Warburton. We are going to go through this every time we lose a game. Unfortunately, unless we are title contenders (which we are not) mathematically that means we are going to lose games.
So if we go through this every time we drop points (which we know will happen because we are not going to win the league) it's going to be a pointless merry go round.

If we were doing any better in the league, we'd either be 3 behind Celtic or level with them. That would exceed expectations if we are honest.
The fact is that we are doing better than under Warburton. We are going to go through this every time we lose a game. Unfortunately, unless we are title contenders (which we are not) mathematically that means we are going to lose games.
So if we go through this every time we drop points (which we know will happen because we are not going to win the league) it's going to be a pointless merry go round.

We are also 6 points behind Aberdeen. We will lose more ground to both Celtic and Aberdeen over the next few weeks simply because we are far more likely to drop points than they are.

We lost to the 4the best side from Luxembourg over 180 minutes.

We just lost a semi final against Motherwell.

Add that to the home defeats from Celtic and Hibs, the dropped points at home to Hearts and away at Thistle....

Sorry, if there has been any progress then it's not particularly clear to me.

I'll give you Hearts and Celtic, but do you honestly believe we would have lost the Hibs and Motherwell games if they had been fairly officiated?

We're bleating about referees and what ifs. We're becoming like the fan of a provincial Scottish football club that we would regularly mock when they always reckoned they were unlucky against us - if only they had taken that chance, if only the ref never sent him off, etc.

Depends what you consider a 'big game'. If we'd failed to beat St Johnstone then plenty would have called that a big game he failed to win. As it was, we won and it's ignored. Same with the QF against Thistle - it was a big game until we won it (albeit in ET).
Mate I know you're trying to be positive and look on the bright side here but come on this is embarrassing.

Reckon if you were to dig up some threads around this stage last season they would read similar to this one.

We won 9 games from October to January last year anyone confident we will match that?

We even managed 4 on the trot in December.

9 out of 14 matches? I think we'll do that.

Watch the highlights of the first half. We completed bossed it and should have had two or three. Watch the St Johnstone game - completely bossed it.

The second half was sickening yesterday but we should have been out of sight. By all means have a go for results and failure to win 3 games in a row. But don't just make stuff up to make it all seem worse.

I watched Warburton's team and saw no signs of life, so I gave up on him even before last season started. I saw similar in McCoist and PLG - no chink of light at all. But this is different. Yes it may be two steps forward, one back, but there are steps forward. Let's do ourselves a favour and be honest about that.
I agree to a large extent. Results and performances always get confused. We were far from brilliant but we were far better than them and would have been miles ahead of them if the game had been reffed properly. Only the very stupid or the died in the wool Pedro haters would say the shape hasn't improved significantly since the start of the season. We have been the better team in every game we have played except against them.

That said Pedro needs to start winning as there is plenty of our own (or at least claiming to be our own) who would rather make common cause with the likes of Sutton and the discredited one to have a go at Pedro rather than call out the weekly cheating we have to suffer.

Apart from refereeing the big problem is that we need too many chances to score. We are playing a guy in the front three, Windass, who never scores and never assists. He missed four great chances on Sunday. The boy just refuses to score and offers nothing else by way of compensation. Relatively speaking, I am a Pedro fan but I cant fathom why Windass continues to play. The decision not to bring back Naismith looks a very poor one at the minute. That decision combined with Pena's failure to deliver in the way a guy of his goalscoring ability should in this piss-ant league might be what does for Pedro. I really hope not.

To those saying no progress

Third in the league and still behind the sheep.
No European football - or European revenue.
Beaten by the mentally challengeds again.
Out of the league cup to a team that wanted it more.
Underperforming players still making schoolboy errors.
A manager badly struggling to do his job.
Team still in disarray with no cohesion.
No consistency and can't string together a winning run of more than two games.

Is this Warburton's team of 2016 or Caixinha's team of 2017 ??

If this is 'progress' I'd hate to see what failure looks like.

Until the impartiality and bias and dare I say corruption is fought against I don't believe any manager will get a fair crack whatsoever.
Players in blue are not protected that doesn't mean molly coddled their safety on the pitch isnt too much to ask for .
Any rangers player on the ball can expect to be over aggressively closed down and fouled without a foul actually being given.
To attempt the same style of play against your aggressor leads to an automatic booking or sending off .

We didn't "boss" the first half, although we were marginally the better team.

The only way we would've been two or three up is if we had different players who had the ability to take chances when it matters. That's not progress.

I’m not sure you understand the meaning of progress! We are better all in every department! DJ and Windass were guilty of missing sitters and Morelos was crippled going clean through on goal and we didn’t even get the free-kick when the lad should have been off! On another day it could have been 3-0 with 30 minutes gone! It wasn’t our day sadly.

What I agree with is that players like Windass for example don’t have the bottle for it and need to go but we have players that do too. Dorrans, Jack, Candeias, Bruno and Morelos IMO. We are far closer to what we need than we were last year!

Ok,but these figures are progress are they not?as the poster said we couldn’t once put Ross county to the sword last year,the hysteria in here is unreal,people need to have some patience

It's always interesting that Warburton's failure to beat Ross County is thrown at him but Caixinha's failure to beat Progres isn't to be thrown at him. Oh, and you also get the claim we should be patient even though there was agitation against Warburton from early on into his second season even though his first year had saw promotion, the Scottish Cup Final and beating Celtic (i.e. above every realistic target that could have been set). Caixinha, though, has never hit any target he's ever been set.

I still back Pedro and for now that will not waver but what cannot be denied is his record in any sort of big match is seriously alarming.

You can boss a game till you are blue ( pardon the pun ) in the face but if the ball doesn't get put in the net the score is still zilch .

You are absolutely correct, and that's one thing we have to improve on. Maybe we'll see that after the next transfer window. This is gonna take time, it was never gonna be easy closing the gap.
The shitty thing about our league is if we aren't winning it those b@stards in the East end are.
That there is absolute pressure in itself. Look at their conveyor belt of mangers through the late 80's mid 90's
but they closed the gap eventually with Burns and Stopped us reaching 10 with Jansen.

This is gonna take time.

On Sunday we went a goal down and Pedro replaced his most expensive signing with a kid who'd barely played 10 mins previously for us. Can anyone explain what that was all about?

Back