Todays football

Lol, so he takes him off when the only excitement left is will he get a hat trick. Haha.

"Still life in the game"

Manchester City are 2-0 up and passing it about without a care in the world, Tyler. This game is about as dead a game can possibly be.

Hattrick on his Champions League debut
Hattrick on his Bundesliga debut
Pep robs him of the chance to get a hattrick in his PL debut.

A bog-standard 2-0 Manchester City win.

Score goal. Defend by passing the ball around amongst the midfield, back to defence, back to midfield, to attack, back to midfield, back to defence, back to midfield, overhit pass out of play.

West ham get ball, waste possession, Manchester City defend by passing the ball around etc. repeat for 90 minutes.

Dull, ultra-defensive, 2010-esque Spanish football that gets the job done domestically.

A bog-standard 2-0 Manchester City win.

Score goal. Defend by passing the ball around amongst the midfield, back to defence, back to midfield, to attack, back to midfield, back to defence, back to midfield, overhit pass out of play.

West ham get ball, waste possession, Manchester City defend by passing the ball around etc. repeat for 90 minutes.

Dull, ultra-defensive, 2010-esque Spanish football that gets the job done domestically.
You genuinely believe Man City play “ultra defensive” football?

You genuinely believe Man City play “ultra defensive” football?
Yes, similar to Spain between 2008-18. Very attritional, possession based defensive football.

A lot of their defensive work is having possession of the ball without intent just so the other team don't have the ball and if they do lose it, they kick someone far up the pitch on a breakaway so they can all reset 50 yards towards their goal and defend.

They don't push forward to get goals, they cycle the ball over and over again and go forwards to score goals a couple of times in a game.

It's dull, it's defensive-first and it wins titles.

Had to laugh at some folk questioning Haaland after his (admittedly bad) miss last week in the Community Shield.

Of course he'll miss some chances now and again - all strikers do - but the thing with Haaland is that he doesn't dwell on them. Even at the time, it was nothing more than a rye smirk from him.

The big man is absolutely superb. Literally has it all. He'll easily rival Ronaldo for numbers by the end of his career.

Haha he livened that up anyway. Well done Erling, be sold now for having a personality

Yes, similar to Spain between 2008-18. Very attritional, possession based defensive football.

A lot of their defensive work is having possession of the ball without intent just so the other team don't have the ball and if they do lose it, they kick someone far up the pitch on a breakaway so they can all reset 50 yards towards their goal and defend.

They don't push forward to get goals, they cycle the ball over and over again and go forwards to score goals a couple of times in a game.

It's dull, it's defensive-first and it wins titles.
They have scored 565 league goals in 6 full seasons under Guardiola. An average of 94 a league season. Scoring over 100 twice and scoring 99 once. I would love that style of “ultra defensive football”. Maniacal description.

After my Derek Rae ordeal earlier I've now put on the Coppa Italia game on freesports (Salernitana v Parma) only for my ears to be assaulted with what sounds like Gino D'acampo commentating. F*ck this. End of my weekend's football viewing.

After my Derek Rae ordeal earlier I've now put on the Coppa Italia game on freesports (Salernitana v Parma) only for my ears to be assaulted with what sounds like Gino D'acampo commentating. F*ck this. End of my weekend's football viewing.
How’s Lasanna playing?

I’ve not stuck it on yet :))

Nobody cares when city wins it, hollow titles.
Liverpool fans don’t care. Oh no sir. They keep going on endlessly about how they don’t care about City pipping them for the title three times on the last day of the season. They’re not bothered in the slightest….. not at all…… as they keep telling us.

Just back in the hotel after Hellas Verona 1-4 Bari. Here as part of my honeymoon - Juliet's balcony in the morning, football in the evening!

The team just promoted up from Serie C to Seria B gave Serie A's Verona a real pumping.

No Josh Doig in the Hellas squad today, but, Verona were shocking after going 1up. Kevin Lasagna looked a complete dumpling upfront. His goal even looked a complete sclaff.

Martin Hongla was a name I remembered from the Antwerp game a couple of years back. But were dodgy all over the park and were lucky not to fall further behind after a stupid red card made it 11 v 10 and Bari looked like they could have scored at will.

Walid Cheddira, just released by Parma this summer looks a cracking signing for Bari in the Serie B.

Back