Todays subs (Roofe on for Morelos)

TerrySilverLoyal

Credit where it’s due.

Many weren’t happy. And with chasing a goal there’s naturally a tendency to want your top scorer to stay on the pitch. By Morelos standards he had a really quiet game.

Obviously won us the game. Those scrappy goals are roofes bread and butter and he’s the one that you generally want those to fall to as always seems to get the breaks from him in the 6 yard box.

A crucial player who’s won us the 3 points at Hibs and today.

Credit where it’s due.

Many weren’t happy. And with chasing a goal there’s naturally a tendency to want your top scorer to stay on the pitch. By Morelos standards he had a really quiet game.

Obviously won us the game. Those scrappy goals are roofes bread and butter and he’s the one that you generally want those to fall to as always seems to get the breaks from him in the 6 yard box.

Roofe should've been used earlier, and should've been brought on in both the Dundee United and Motherwell games which were absolutely crying out for him, so Gio's getting little credit from me for actually using him today.

Absolutely the correct decision. I know it's sacrilege to say it, but Morelos was contributing very little today and deserved to be hooked.

If it hadn’t worked people would have a case to criticise the manager. It did work so the boo boys should shut up

Surprised this is the first thread on the subs.

There were at least 10 dedicated to the lack of subs immediately after Wednesday nights game.

People obviously a lot quicker to criticise than they are to praise.

Well done Gio. One in the eye for the tossers booing too.
Dishing out criticism without praise when it’s due is just agenda driven.

We weren’t at it today at all but a change swung the game and he deserves credit for it.

It was the rightalthough strange sub

However it doesn't change the fact the team looks completely void of a proper plan and tactics under Gio. And Gio himself looks completely lost at times too. He should walk when we win the league imo.

Bringing Roofe on was the right thing to do so big ups. Taking Morelos off probably wasn't - there were others that deserved that first but it worked.

The sub worked but as I've said on numerous threads already. Gio gives me the fear.

Dishing out criticism without praise when it’s due is just agenda driven.

We weren’t at it today at all but a change swung the game and he deserves credit for it.

Okay he eventually gets it right, but don't you agree that Roofe could've easily been brought on sooner today and should've definitely been used more against Dundee United and Motherwell in recent weeks?

I made a thread the other day saying Roofe was being under utilised & many posters agreed, so Gio isn't suddenly a tactical genius for eventually bringing the guy on. It was overdue.

There’s absolutely no danger he walks if we win the league haha.
I don't think he will but I think he should. Even if he gets CL money a large part of the team is still going to be the current team, and for whatever reason he can't get a tune out of them. We will be having the same moans next season.

I don't think that there's a correlation between taking Morelos off and us scoring, not really. However putting Roofe on was the correct decision.

I don't think he will but I think he should. Even if he gets CL money a large part of the team is still going to be the current team, and for whatever reason he can't get a tune out of them. We will be having the same moans next season.
Think it could be change in summer.

I can’t see us retaining all our big hitters especially with all going in to the last year. Don’t want another goldson situation.

If he wants to play a certain way it’s fair he gets the players he wants to do it I guess.

Okay he eventually gets it right, but don't you agree that Roofe could've easily been brought on sooner today and should've definitely been used more against Dundee United and Motherwell in recent weeks?

I made a thread the other day saying Roofe was being under utilised & many posters agreed, so Gio isn't suddenly a tactical genius for eventually bringing the guy on. It was overdue.
He said in his post match interview Roofe has been struggling with an injury which is why he hasn't used him so much. So, I'm afraid you and all the many others who agree with you were wide of the mark.

He definitely could have been used more. I love roofe. Always went to bat for him on here. I actually think injury free he could play in the EPL.

Just need to take it for what it is. He brought him on he scored and he won us the game.

The st Johnstone game really got to everybody with the subs I think.

Not saying he’s a tactical genius but not many we’re agreeing when he made those changes at half time against dortmund either

He said in his post match interview Roofe has been struggling with an injury which is why he hasn't used him so much. So, I'm afraid you and all the many others who agree with you were wide of the mark.

He was on the bench in those games though so if he's fit enough for the bench you'd expect him to be able to play a part if needed, otherwise its pointless.

He definitely could have been used more. I love roofe. Always went to bat for him on here. I actually think injury free he could play in the EPL.

Just need to take it for what it is. He brought him on he scored and he won us the game.

The st Johnstone game really got to everybody with the subs I think.

Not saying he’s a tactical genius but not many we’re agreeing when he made those changes at half time against dortmund either

I actually agree he got the Dortmund game bang on, but domestically at least he still needs to prove he gets it. There's been far too many dropped points and mishaps. I still think he's making a huge error by sticking with McGregor, and if he costs us again Gio will have nowhere to hide with that one.

Was it wrong at the time ?
Yes
Did Gio get lucky ?
Yes

The better option was to put Roofe up to assist Morelos as he was isolated but it worked out well.

He was on the bench in those games though so if he's fit enough for the bench you'd expect him to be able to play a part if needed, otherwise its pointless.

I actually agree he got the Dortmund game bang on, but domestically at least he still needs to prove he gets it. There's been far too many dropped points and mishaps. I still think he's making a huge error by sticking with McGregor, and if he costs us again Gio will have nowhere to hide with that one.
I agree with mcgregor without question.

If he had kept Morelos on, there's a good chance he'd have been playing just behind Morelos so might have not been in that position to score.
It’s all hypothetical though in that sense, maybe Morelos would’ve been there in that area:D

All I was saying is that I didn’t agree with Morelos coming off when we were chasing a goal. Roofe was excellent and the sub worked out in the end. Roofe is clinical and should be getting more gametime.

Credit where it’s due.

"thats on Gio!"

I get the people who are unsettled by bringing Morelos off when we're chasing a goal. The fans shouldn't have booed it, it but I get it.

The trouble is that for me, Roofe is only really effective through the middle. He needs to be there. So unless you change formation Morelos is the only option to bring off.

I would honestly like to see us playing with two through the middle. I liked the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 previously, but I think it's run it's course. Three reasons. One story of our season has been the struggle to find the right balance in midfield, I think formation might be part of that. Another theme is lack of shots on target and as a result lack of goals, struggling to pick teams off, too many games becoming wars of attrition. We'll see if the inevitable exhaustion that brings comes back to haunt us in the home stretch of the season. Third, I just don't see how it's doing us any favours when it imposes the kind of limitation on our team selection I described above where the likes of Roofe, Sakala and even Itten (though much further out of the picture) can't get a run of games to get up to speed because they're competing for a place with one of our best strikers ever.

So if we win the league nothing gets said., but if we don't he gets stick for sticking with Greegs? :oops:

Credit where it’s due.

Yes, I’m not a fan based upon this seasons form but respect to Kemar Roofe.

He has saved 56 today.

So if we win the league nothing gets said., but if we don't he gets stick for sticking with Greegs? :oops:

If we win the league from our current position then obviously Gio gets praised, but fail to see how anyone can defend him if McGregor costs us again when the support almost unanimously wants McLaughlin in goals.

Back