Traditions vs Standards: Ibrox Dressing Room

they have changed - I remember the big communal bath. Tradition is fine, Rangers were about being the best all round - it is best to set the standard and let others follow.
Health reasons are a lot different from redecorating.

If we used the changing room everyday then yes I would reluctantly agree it’s out of date,it’s used for nothing more than changing in on a match day and is very fit for purpose.
I wonder what the EKYM changing room will look like in 100 years time compared to Ibrox, I’m sure The Home dressing room will still be going strong

There is tradition then there is utterly outdated and needing a major facelift which ours does in my opinion. Times move on

I mean this as respectfully as possible, do we keep the picture forever, even when there is a new monarch?

The point behind that question is to highlight that it's going to have to change eventually, why not now?
Why not a picture of a new monarch!?

Only thing that needs changed in the dressing room is that big ugly telly in the corner that looks like it came out of rumbelows , at least get a 60 “ flat screen

I like our changing rooms, it's traditional and Spartan in its approach. For me, knowing you're sitting on the exact same bench that our legends going back all the way sat on has a transcendental quality.

The players don't spend a lot of time in them, they're there before, during and after home games. The changing rooms at Auchenhowie are more up to date for the first team and where they spend more time.

I think the modern changing rooms with players having posters up of themselves are incredibly gimpy and don't get me started on amateur and junior teams with their mdf and LED lights changing rooms for social media. All fur coat and no kickers there.

No way should this happen, im all for subtle contemporary adjustments to enhance the fabric of our history but absolutley nothing that would detract from its uniqueness. Take the main entrance foyer for an example, subtle touches and as a result it looks fabulous!

I mean this as respectfully as possible, do we keep the picture forever, even when there is a new monarch?

The point behind that question is to highlight that it's going to have to change eventually, why not now?
Because she is still our Monarch. Duh.

Change it when she abdicates or is no longer with us. (Not for many years, I hope) GSTQ

It's a listed building for a reason. It's iconic, one of the finest stadiums in the world and whilst I'm all for modernisation in certain areas the interior of the Main/Struth Stand should remain as it is. And the portrait of The Queen stays there till the sad day she passes, to be replaced by Charles or William, whoever succeeds. I can't believe anyone even thinks this needs doing. It's not only Rangers supporters whose breaths are taken from them when they enter that stadium. I've read many a foreign player, coach or supporter rave about Ibrox.

It's a listed building for a reason. It's iconic, one of the finest stadiums in the world and whilst I'm all for modernisation in certain areas the interior of the Main/Struth Stand should remain as it is. And the portrait of The Queen stays there till the sad day she passes, to be replaced by Charles or William, whoever succeeds. I can't believe anyone even thinks this needs doing. It's not only Rangers supporters whose breaths are taken from them when they enter that stadium. I've read many a foreign player, coach or supporter rave about Ibrox.
The reception, marble staircase, managers office, blue room and the trophy room are all indeed breathtaking, the decor is timeless and should never be changed.

The changing room is showing it's age now though, especially when you compare it to what other clubs have

It is possible to renovate while keeping it in line with the traditional aesthetic, I don't see why we shouldn't

The reception, marble staircase, managers office, blue room and the trophy room are all indeed breathtaking, the decor is timeless and should never be changed.

The changing room is showing it's age now though, especially when you compare it to what other clubs have

It is possible to renovate while keeping it in line with the traditional aesthetic, I don't see why we shouldn't

I don't mind renovating whilst keeping the basic look. The Etihad, Emirates and so many others all look like glorified gyms inside their dressing rooms. We have first class facilities to match most at Auchenhowie. Ibrox for me is like a stately home and you wouldn't gut one of them and put in the latest kitchen (or you shouldn't at least!) so why would you do it to our magnificent stadium?

I am speechless that some would happily remove our current dressing room. It’s what makes our club special. Yes we can modernise but no way should we be ripping the panels off the walls to replace with tacky pictures of Brandon Barker and the like!

It can and should be done to prevent it becoming a museum, but its also a fine line that needs done properly.

Manchester-Citys-new-dressing-room.jpg

What's so great about this btw? It looks like a dystopian court room from the future.

I guess you can’t consider the changing room outside the context of the whole stadium. 50000 fans bouncing in that stadium and the old dressing rooms just before a match would be something totally unique for player and would be special. So long as there is adequate space elsewhere like an ante-room for prematch warm up and any other relaxation requirements I don’t think there is an issue. Also opposing players crammed into similar without additional facilities may not be so helpful for their relaxation.

If a player won't sign for us because he has to sit on a wooden bench then I don't think he's the right player for Rangers anyway. Why do so many of our support want to phuck with our traditions. A slight tweak is maybe OK, but things like the picture of our current monarch must stay. These are the things that separate us from your average football club.

When you watch the video of Gerrard on the the day he was unveiled as manager you can see his reaction when he walks into the changing room, he gets it.

I think this is a superb idea, I play for amateur team EKYM and our new changing rooms piss all over Ibrox. Time to modernise I feel, and with the opportunity to recreate it in the museum it’s a fantastic idea
You’ve also ripped up two perfectly good grass parks to lay down a plastic park, should Rangers do that too ;)

I don't wish to be disrespectful to the OP but I don't know that it is factually correct that a player would determine whether or not to join us due to the changing rooms at the stadium being traditional. Salary, terms of contract, the standard of the Team, the club are more likely to be material factors. Plus the training centre is pretty much state of the art if that's deemed important - which is where players spend most of their time.

Here's an idea, how about adding booths like a lot of modern dressing rooms so each player has their own space. They could be done in similar style to the wooden paneling we currently have and fitted in around the benches paneling and coat hooks that are all ready there.

This way the look of the dressing room and original fixtures stay in tact yet we bring it a bit more in line with the modern changing rooms that are present these days.

Something like like this but obviously done in the traditional style we have currently.

arsenal-changing-room.jpg

They are Unique. Leave Ibrox Main Stand interiors etc the way they are. Upgrade, maintain etc, but keep it the same.
Why have it the same as all the rest ?
Players are paid well enough,not their decision on changing rooms.

This is one of the things that make us so special. Our dressing rooms are historic artifacts and join us to those who have gone before. Who would not want to sit where Alan Morton or Willie Henderson sat and if they don't,then they don't deserve to be at Ibrox. I am all for modernization but not at the expense of our traditions and our history. What next, remove the picture of Her Majesty from the wall to appease the shrilly vocal minorities?
Totally agree mate, the gaffer ain't too comfortable wearing a suit on match day but does it as he respects the traditions of the club, the traditions we have are what makes our club unique. The OP will be wanting the marble staircase pulled down and the loving cup ceremony stopped next!

Do we change the coat hooks with hook for the bowler hats in the home dressing room, away is a smaller coat hook only. We dont use bowlers anymore but they are rangers.

Don’t see what benefit you have from having a modern changing room. Maybe I’m not thinking right but surely all the players need is a bench , a peg, a drinks fridge and access to a warm shower. The rest is just unnecessary

I haven't read past the first page of this thread so I might be repeating others but...

I see where the OP is coming from, however, I don't think it's as big a deal as it might have been. The players probably don't feel as "home" in the Ibrox changing rooms as Gazza, Greig etc. as they spend every day at Auchenhowie. THAT is where they need the modern comforts - the Ibrox changing rooms ae only used maybe 3 or 4 times a month at most, whereas Auchenhowie is used daily.

I think the fact that the timber and pegs were installed in 1929 is great and I'm sure players knowing that will appreciate it. As much as we should be striving to have the best facilities possible, it's just a changing room, you get your gear on and go. I don't think having cushioned seats or compartments for your boots is really going to make a huge difference, that's more of a concern for the training ground were the players spend most of their time.

I can't say I know exactly what they look like
I can't imagine them to be 'spit & sawdust' though - & I'm sure anyone using them will still have all the comforts & facilities of more modern versions

So are we left with traditional, vintage style with an aged, classic look - versus a stark, soulless modern equivalent?

Because if we are - I know what I'd prefer

Have to say this is a bit of an exaggeration. You've got a cushion, a few fancy lights and a badge on the floor.

At the end of the day, a changing room is a changing room. For every player who will be amazed at a cushion, there will be a player who breathes in the history and likes it being traditional.

Look at Gerrard in the video when he signed at the end.
Which is a cushion, fancy light, badge, and own locker more than the Rangers players have. As you said for one player who likes the old fashioned style, their will be another who likes a more modern style. As I said above I think we can modernise the changing room but keep the traditional feel to it

You’ve also ripped up two perfectly good grass parks to lay down a plastic park, should Rangers do that too ;)
I wish the pitch that was going down was plastic, it’s just a better grass that’s going down. Every team should always try to better themselves on and off the park

The history will still be there it’s the same place, so will the tradition. You can’t keep it the same forever, absolutely nothing wrong with modernising but keeping the ‘traditional’ feel to it - I am sure that is more than achievable
Did the etihad tour in February and there is absolutely no feeling of tradition or history at all.
New stadium,yes ,but the dressing rooms sum up the modern pampered player.

History ,tradition sets Ibrox and its dressing rooms well apart from others

I don't get the abuse at the OP.

It does need modernized. Badly. There is a way to do that while being respectful to the history.

By removing a brick from a wall it’s the start of the wall eventually coming down.

We are Rangers, by removing the dressing room standards, it chips away at the other standards at the club.
No Monarch on the wall, no Loving Cup Ceremony etc etc etc.

Don't be ridiculous.

Maintain the core traditional aspects of the changing room but give it a modern updgrade.

This . I’ve been fortunate enough to do a couple of tours with the founders trail and another couple of just stadium tours . There can be no doubt the dressing rooms when I was last there ( 18 months ago ) badly needed some investment and tweaks to modernise it . They still had a huge backed 21 inch tv from the 1980s in the corner which I couldn’t quite get my head around .

Surely we can implement some modernity without losing the traditional feel of the place ? Is that so difficult ?

Which is a cushion, fancy light, badge, and own locker more than the Rangers players have. As you said for one player who likes the old fashioned style, their will be another who likes a more modern style. As I said above I think we can modernise the changing room but keep the traditional feel to it

Aye but it does not "piss all over Ibrox" because it has lights, a cushion and a badge on the floor. Ibrox is also far more spacious, built to the highest of standards and has better wash facilities. Ibrox also doesn't require lockers. So it's a bit much to claim that although I get you are proud of your team's facilities mate. Certainly great for that level but nowhere near Ibrox in terms of dressing room mate.

Back