Walter Smith has passed away

Amid the pain, grief, tributes, memories - here's a wee note of who is
sending RangersFC condolences on twitter:

Twitter condolences from the following FC's:

Aberdeen, England*, Liverpool, West Ham, WBA, Newcastle, Motherwell, Derby Co, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Wigan, Livingston, Clyde, Queens Park, St Mirren, Stenhousemuir, Ross Co, Albion Rovers,

*National Team rather than FA, I think.

Nothing from other side of the city - remember this rangers & bears.

No DM from SFA to RangersFC, just condolences in their own twitter account.

Not is this post incorrect, but it really isn’t appropriate.

It's very difficult to find the correct words today. Walter Smith is the benchmark of what a Rangers man should always aim to be. The tributes that have flooded in throughout the day are a testament to the man and the manager he was. A man who thrived not only during prosperous times but in adversity and did so stoically.

I'm glad I got to watch a true master of his craft at work for as many years as I did, my only regret was that I didn't have the privilege of seeing it for longer.

We lost a true great today. Rest easy Mr Smith.

RIP Walter, a true Rangers Legend. Thank you so much for all the magical memories.
You live on in all of us.

Have to say I’m totally gutted. Feels like losing an extended family member. He gave me some of the best times of my life, RIP Walter.

I cried when I heard this morning. Now again watching Ally and then Nacho. I've not felt like this since Davie Cooper.

A true Ranger, Mr Rangers.

The word Legend is far too readily used IMO.
But never was it more applicable than in the case of Walter Smith.
RIP Rangers Legend.

I’m a Married guy of 50 years old with 3 kids, I’ve never met Walter Smith, never spoke to him, yet over the course of the day looking at the tributes I find myself filling up / getting emotional. The Guy gave me so many happy memories growing up in my life , just want to say thank you sir Walter, thank you very very much xxx
Walter smiths blue /white army... RIP.

It feels like he is one of very few men left who will properly fit the "classic" definition of a true football mangerial icon. Something modern managers, even the top level ones don't really carry in the same way.

He's from a dying era of "proper football" and character that has been replaced by a different kind of product and celebrity. A gentlemen's era.

Struth, Alex Ferguson, etc... that type of personality with an understanding and love of the game and tactics but also its fundamental roots in the community.

There have been few like him before and few will come after IMHO.

Me too mate.
Just listened to Derek McInnes on Sportsound and I’m broken.
Lovely words as they have all been today.

I’m a Married guy of 50 years old with 3 kids, I’ve never met Walter Smith, never spoke to him, yet over the course of the day looking at the tributes I find myself filling up / getting emotional. The Guy gave me so many happy memories growing up in my life , just want to say thank you sir Walter, thank you very very much xxx
yeah its definately been a tough day mate,ive found myself welling up in intervals myself

Listened to Super Ally live in a customers house today and I was in bits, watched all the videos and read the tributes when I got home and feel the same.

Such a sad day

It has been one Hell of a tough day. Still trying to get to grips with it all. So many memories of watching our Team with Walter either as assistant to the magnificent bastard or when he really took us where we should be. Thoughts and prayers with all his extended family and friends at this most difficult of times. Simply The Best Sir Walter, thank you for all that you did for The Famous.

Last edited:
Had a quick peek at KDS. Every post very respectful towards Sir Walter.

Can’t say the same for those fuckers in the North East.

Sums up how we are all feeling on this heartbreaking day.

Amid the pain, grief, tributes, memories - here's a wee note of who is
sending RangersFC condolences on twitter:

Twitter condolences from the following FC's:

Aberdeen, England*, Liverpool, West Ham, WBA, Newcastle, Motherwell, Derby Co, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Wigan, Livingston, Clyde, Queens Park, St Mirren, Stenhousemuir, Ross Co, Albion Rovers,

*National Team rather than FA, I think.

Nothing from other side of the city - remember this rangers & bears.

No DM from SFA to RangersFC, just condolences in their own twitter account.

I wish people would leave point scoring to the side for just one day.

Absolutely devastating news.
What an impact that man has had on all our lives.
RIP Walter Smith and thank you for giving us such happiness and success.
You will be badly missed

Gutted at the news the gaffer has passed away. A true Rangers legend and a giant in the Scottish game. Condolences to Walters family and friends.

In my 50s too and couldn't work to any effect today. In the end I just gave up and burned a load if flex time. Didn't feel right not to pay respects although all the tributes kept the tears flowing

Back