Walter Smith has passed away

My eyes are stinging. Tomorrow night is going to be tough. I was at Tannadice after Davie Cooper passed away and was in tears, it'll be the same tomorrow.

I’m a Married guy of 50 years old with 3 kids, I’ve never met Walter Smith, never spoke to him, yet over the course of the day looking at the tributes I find myself filling up / getting emotional. The Guy gave me so many happy memories growing up in my life , just want to say thank you sir Walter, thank you very very much xxx
Walter smiths blue /white army... RIP.

I have been lucky enough to have been in the great mans company a few times.
What a lovely, lovely man.
At 63 I have spent just as many tears today as when I lost my mum and dad.
I will say it again, what a lovely, lovely man.

I thought the first game back at Ibrox at the start of the season was going to be the most emotional of the year. Tomorrow will be hard going.

Some excellent words from Pep Guardiola this evening as well.

I didn't realise the gaffer was so heavily involved with the LMA in England.

I'm the exact same.

I went through 2 recent fairly close bereavements, both people I'd known for years and was sad. However, this news today has honestly cut me in half. I've been in bits all day.

I’ll be honest I think the support have taken this really bad. I’d rather we postponed tomorrow night to give us a bit of time to get our heads together.

Same mate im very emotional at work dont get home till late tomz will miss game my sons will be there and take a scarf to the gates for me in a way im.glad i cant make game ill be in floods of tears would rather be in house tbh this one has hit me ,Walter is the same age as my old man aswell gutted just gutted.rip sir walter.

I'm the same and I'm sure there many like us. Seen this tribute on a Facebook page that puts it well...

Been trying all day to try and put into words a tribute to Mr Smith but I can't find the words worthy enough. Everytime I see or hear another tribute online I buckle and shed tears. Losing Walter feels like losing a member of your family. Growing up with Walter being the first manager of the Team I loved so much as a boy. He was a constant and a figure head of what Rangers was. He was Rangers for all of us. He was beloved in every sense of the word, every single sense. No one had a bad word to say against him because he had dignity and class. Our hearts are broken, we are broken. A huge light has gone out in our lives today. He gave us as fans so much and we cannot be thankful enough. God bless you Walter, you are out of pain and now safe in the arms of Jesus. May the Lord show his strength and comfort to Ethel and your boys and their families. Thank you Gaffer

we've all shed tears today

the tributes from the men who knew him most, and player tributes :(

never knew i would be so affected

Lost Willie and Jock who I knew well went to both funerals did know Wattie but not as closely and devastated hearing Ally SG and Gough breaking up brought the tears to the fore.

Walter Smith was the embodiment of everything it means to be a Ranger. Dignified, respectful, a winner.

True class.

RIP Walter, and thanks for the memories.

I think this will take a wee while to get over. Right now I still can’t comprehend the idea of a world without Walter Smith, nor do I want to accept the idea of a world without Walter.

I’m with you, held it together in the office and then got home and put on SSN…
Same. For anyone that's grieving for someone, then a thing like this happens - it's like a scab being ripped off. The wounds eventually heal but it that scab comes off time and time again.

I’m a Married guy of 50 years old with 3 kids, I’ve never met Walter Smith, never spoke to him, yet over the course of the day looking at the tributes I find myself filling up / getting emotional. The Guy gave me so many happy memories growing up in my life , just want to say thank you sir Walter, thank you very very much xxx
Walter smiths blue /white army... RIP.

I'm the same mate. this is my first reply today after reading all the posts.

This news has hit me so hard.

We lost our Gaffer and tbh I'm struggling to get my head together.

Absolutely devastated. Stopped work as soon as I heard and just sat and thought about all the great memories he gave me growing up. Eyes filled up with water and shed a fair few tears, a reminder we are all part of the same family. A sad day, he was my greatest ever Ranger; Walter, rest in peace and thank you for everything.

It's been a struggle all day. Like others have said it's like losing a family member. I hate to say, this feels worse. Difficult to explain but to people here, I know don't have to as you'll know what I mean. That's why I love the Rangers family, our bond.

My wife mentioned my eyes have been puffy looking all day. I just told her I'm tired. I'm not one to show or, even talk about emotions but, I'm finding it hard to keep the sadness in.
Thank you for everything Walter. I'll miss you.

Amid the pain, grief, tributes, memories - here's a wee note of who is
sending RangersFC condolences on twitter:

Twitter condolences from the following FC's:

Aberdeen, England*, Liverpool, West Ham, WBA, Newcastle, Motherwell, Derby Co, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Wigan, Livingston, Clyde, Queens Park, St Mirren, Stenhousemuir, Ross Co, Albion Rovers,

*National Team rather than FA, I think.

Nothing from other side of the city - remember this rangers & bears.

No DM from SFA to RangersFC, just condolences in their own twitter account.
Youre wrong. So wrong. (Happens to us all...)

RIP Walter. I'm absolutely gutted. It occurred to me today of all the people to die that I've never actually met before this has hit me the hardest.

Such as the memories he had given me in my life, true legend.

Nice tribute from Kevin Campbell there as well

Didn't know that Walter made him the first black captain of Everton

I just don't know what to write, how can I ever pay tribute to such a Man, a Man who achieved greatness at the head of our Club, I had the pleasure of meeting him, and although I didn't know what to say, he was so nice, put me at ease, we then had a great chat, today, Rangers has lost so much, we will never see his like again, Thank You Lord Walter of Ibrox, you gave us so much to be proud of, Rest in Peace

Condolences to his Wife, his Family and his Friends

This came as a huge shock earlier on. Always sad when you hear of the passing of our own but this hit like hearing of the death of a friend or relative. Still stunned.
Sleep well.

Received a text from my Mum this morning saying that Walter had passed away. I knew he wasn't keeping well, but thought he was recovering. As Manager he gave me most of my best moments following Rangers. Sad news.

Today has hit me hard.

I've stayed off here most of the day after I heard the news, tried my best to be on my own and just stop sit and remember, whilst I fought the tears. Walter was a remarkable human being and to me he was simply Mr Rangers.

Good night Mr Smith and Thank you.

I feel like I've lost my favourite uncle. Must admit I've shed a few tears since hearing the tragic news this morning. What a fantastic human being we've lost. Honesty, integrity , passion , not to mention his undying love for our football team. You will never be forgotten Walter a true true Rangers & Scottish legend. Every time I look at my Golden Retreiver from now on ( he was named after you , Walter) I will remember you and what you did for our great football club. RIP Sir Walter of Carmyle. Thanks for all the great memories.

Back