We are going to need some amazing wheeling and dealing come the summer

True mate, still to be in the mix at this stage of the season after Beale is bonkers considering how bad we were. Big Phil got a tune out of the usual serial losers but you only ever get so far with them before they bottle it again.
It looks like they've shat it again yesterday, can't see us going to the piggery for a must win result.
Probably wishfull thinking but if we can win our games until we play them,we can turn them over at the piggery.
We have finished the three games the stronger team,but we need to start the game with the same intensity and not gift them a 2 goal start.

You're certainly right as far as paying transfer fees goes, but here's the thing that's most depressing about your "won't happen in one transfer window": We should now be several windows into a rebuild. Instead, our dealings in recent windows have left us with very few players who have been upgrades or even adequate replacements for members of the 55-Seville team who have left, retired or need to be moved on this summer.

Of the current squad, the only players brought in since Seville who I think have been unqualified positive additions are:
Butland (certain to be sold in my opinion)
Yilmaz (left back)
Souttar (squad CB)
Sterling (midfield, maybe RB if Tav goes)
Diomande (maybe, midfield)
Cantwell (an option at number 10, far from first choice on my teamsheet though, would sell if we can get better)
Sima (left side of front three - but not yet our player)
Danilo (maybe, wasn't fully convinced prior to his injury)
McCausland (squad player)
Cortes (looked handy, but a risk given his injury and our track record with injuries - I feel the money will be better spent elsewhere)

For me, those are the only players who have come in since Seville who deserve to be in the conversation to stay next season.

Of the 55-Seville era players, the only one I'd hang onto would be Tavernier, and with several caveats - no longer guaranteed a start, no longer captain. That may not be what he's looking for, so it may be time to part ways.

I would certainly sell Dessers if we can get a decent offer. But at a push, he could stay as a backup striker - for all the slagging he takes, he has scored goals and done a job at times. He just can't be relied on as our first choice number 9.

That still leaves us with a huge rebuild including a first-choice goalkeeper (assuming Butland leaves), most of a defence, a leader in midfield and one other first-choice midfielder, and a first-choice number 9. And then backups. And then we have to buck recent history and make sure our recruits are mostly success stories rather than injury prone duds - otherwise, we'll be back here next April with another new manager calling for another clearout and warning that this will be a slow rebuild requiring several windows.

I agree but unfortunately it's where we are right now. We all know the failings of previous boards and signings.

All the remaining players after the ones you would keep won't all be away in the summer and that's where the issues lie.

I agree but unfortunately it's where we are right now. We all know the failings of previous boards and signings.

All the remaining players after the ones you would keep won't all be away in the summer and that's where the issues lie.

I think we need to get a Scottish core to the team, even during the days of 9 in a row we had this and from somewhere we need a leader in the style of a John Brown or Barry Ferguson, I know they had different footballing qualities but they understood what it took to be a Rangers player and made sure those from different countries understood this.

Agree.

The majority of players at Rangers have no connection to the club and are happy just to pick up their wage and eventually move somewhere else. If they win the odd cup competition here and there that’s success to most of them and that’s Rangers in 2024.

Don't feel the need to reply, but given those likely circumstances, who would you keep and who would you priorotise letting go of?

One thing I'll cling to is there are probably a few of the current players who would look improved in a better Rangers squad, they're just at the peak of what they can offer within the limitations of our current squad. So we might get a bit more out of guys who are already here, IF we can bring in at least 5-6 genuine improvements on what we currently have.

This summer will be the same as any summer. We heard the same doom and gloom last year and we were out signing strikers for £4.5m and £6m.

We’re budgeted for the Europa league and we’re guaranteed 4 group games. We’ll either have Butland or sell him for 8 figures - remember the player trading model we all say doesn’t happen?

We’ll have plenty of wages freed up between the loan players returning and the multitude of contracts expiring.

Our summer business, like it has been for the last 20 odd years, will consistent of a couple of big buys, some smaller investments, bosmans and loan signings.

My personal thoughts are that we’ll get fees back for Lammers and Dessers. They’re both starting matches and scoring goals. We didn’t care about their form when we signed them, and neither will the sides buying them. That’s how we were able to claim fees for Colak and Sakala. I think there will be interest in Davies also, but probably for a small fee given his wages.

Danilo will come back and ‘be like a new signing’. Roofe’s wages will go nicely into the budget alongside Jack, Barisic, Balogun and hopefully Lundstram’s.

Goldson has another year and I expect him to be in the defence. It wouldn’t be my choice but we can’t change every player. If we get the recruitment right, there’s no reason we can’t sign 2 new defenders to pressure him and Souttar.

It’ll be fine. The budget isn’t the problem. There’s very little difference between a 4m and 6m player in this league. It’s all about how they are set up, managed and their mentality.

Think we’re gonna have to have a fire sale this summer. Butland, Cantwell, Ridvan, and anyone else who will command a fee to let us at least have something to play around with in the window will need to moved on. We would probably be wise to spend what we have on quality for the first eleven, promote youth and go with a smaller squad.

All of the out of contract players should be moved on, including Lundstram, which could hopefully see us have a good crack at the Bosman market too.

Not looking forward to the summer in all honesty.

Feels like it's the same every f#ckin summer. We will be saying the same thing again after the end of next season.
Yep. It’s always a ‘rebuild’ that’s required, but we’ve put out the same starting line up for the past 4 or 5 years near enough. If there is one silver lining to finishing second again, then it may be that it’s the catalyst for moving certain somebodies on due to needing the funds. I don’t see what our board thinks they will achieve by overseeing the same mistakes happening every summer window. It’s fucking painstakingly obvious. Insanity.

Quality over quantity … hear it every pre season but we never actually manage it.

Would expect about 6-8 out and similar in. We won’t change everyone because we can’t. I’d expect Tav and Goldson will both still be here next season, hopefully Goldson will be benched but I can’t see Tav being consigned to the bin until the goals dry up.

As for Goldson no one wanted him on a free transfer so cannot imagine there will suddenly be a queue now he’d command a fee of sorts too.

Yep. It’s always a ‘rebuild’ that’s required, but we’ve put out the same starting line up for the past 4 or 5 years near enough. If there is one silver lining to finishing second again, then it may be that it’s the catalyst for moving certain somebodies on due to needing the funds. I don’t see what our board thinks they will achieve by overseeing the same mistakes happening every summer window. It’s fucking painstakingly obvious. Insanity.
Definitely. Rebuild after rebuild because on the whole the recruitment has been brutal. We've had the same core that's been failing for a while too. Obviously we've added to it but we have guys like Ben Davies on huge wages that are contributing absolutely nothing. You just hope that with Clement and the new director of football that the recruitment will start going in a better direction, and that they will actually be backed to enable that.

Don't feel the need to reply, but given those likely circumstances, who would you keep and who would you priorotise letting go of?

One thing I'll cling to is there are probably a few of the current players who would look improved in a better Rangers squad, they're just at the peak of what they can offer within the limitations of our current squad. So we might get a bit more out of guys who are already here, IF we can bring in at least 5-6 genuine improvements on what we currently have.
I agree there are players there who would probably do a job in a better team with better players around them but given the choice they would all be away.

In relation to who I think we could keep out of the current players I would really be struggling to say anyone which I know isn’t realistic.

It's not necessarily about the talent or ability of our players. I think there's a mental block in our squad and even the players that were there for 55 seem to have lapsed into a "can't win 'em all" mentality.

The last 2 games have seen us 2 goals down and if I'm being truthful, I think the only way chance we had to get back into either game was a penalty. I couldn't see us play our way back in, it was just a case of huffing and puffing until we got a break and it needs to be better but I just don't see enough players that could be relied on to offer that skill or desire required.

I suspect that may be wishful thinking.

Both Tav and Goldson have been well off it for weeks yet they remain undroppable. I’ll wager both will be in the starting line-up on Wednesday too.

That doesn’t suggest to me a manager looking to get rid of both in the summer.
Probably is wishful thinking mate tbh and I’m sure both will start
Though I wouldn’t expect the manager would be telling them the now they might be moved on in the summer as we are in a tight title battle

Koppen and his team will have their work cut out

So many players we need to move on and quite a few out of contract who after recent displays I wouldn’t be keeping any of them. Lundstram has played his way out of a contract imo

Goldson and Tav need sold. If Saudi interest is real and it’s good money we need to look to take it and reinvest

Big Phil must see some players just aren’t good enough and if hh needs better and more robust players

Hope Koppen enjoys a challenge

We say this every year. Yet still manage to spend a hefty amount every summer.

We appear to be making steps to fix the mess made by the previous manager and director of football. We've appointed a new recruitment director, we've appointed a new chief scout and we've changed our scouting process.

The majority of our best signings in recent years have been on guys we paid very little for anyway. So I believe, we can absolutely build a team in Clement’s image this summer. I'm just hoping we get rid of the swathes of players who haven't contributed at all this season. We pay more than enough out in wages and we can do far better with that budget than we have been in recent years.

The overall consensus from bears in work! Is that we are done with the current squad and just want to see what Phill has to do and can do in the summer.

The faith has gone and the hope is no longer there.

If you ask any bear the simple question is there anyone you want to keep, surprisingly or not the answer was none!

Obviously a full team isn’t leaving but the point being there is not one player in that squad who could leave tomorrow and the fans would be gutted and Butland is included

Agree.

The majority of players at Rangers have no connection to the club and are happy just to pick up their wage and eventually move somewhere else. If they win the odd cup competition here and there that’s success to most of them and that’s Rangers in 2024.
The majority of players at the majority of clubs have no connection to the club.

Misty eyed pish.

Agree.

Bang on. Couldn’t agree more.

The majority of players at the majority of clubs have no connection to the club.

Misty eyed pish.
Disagree

The captain in an ideal would be a born bear, we would also have 2/3 minimum who are rangers daft and going tonto when shit hits the fan

Here’s what really bemused me yesterday, after Tav scored the penalty he was looking around as if to say ( awe ok common then let’s try lads )

Another player/captain would have been going mental getting everyone fired up for 7 minutes that we could have won in years gone bye

This summer will be the same as any summer. We heard the same doom and gloom last year and we were out signing strikers for £4.5m and £6m.

We’re budgeted for the Europa league and we’re guaranteed 4 group games. We’ll either have Butland or sell him for 8 figures - remember the player trading model we all say doesn’t happen?

We’ll have plenty of wages freed up between the loan players returning and the multitude of contracts expiring.

Our summer business, like it has been for the last 20 odd years, will consistent of a couple of big buys, some smaller investments, bosmans and loan signings.

My personal thoughts are that we’ll get fees back for Lammers and Dessers. They’re both starting matches and scoring goals. We didn’t care about their form when we signed them, and neither will the sides buying them. That’s how we were able to claim fees for Colak and Sakala. I think there will be interest in Davies also, but probably for a small fee given his wages.

Danilo will come back and ‘be like a new signing’. Roofe’s wages will go nicely into the budget alongside Jack, Barisic, Balogun and hopefully Lundstram’s.

Goldson has another year and I expect him to be in the defence. It wouldn’t be my choice but we can’t change every player. If we get the recruitment right, there’s no reason we can’t sign 2 new defenders to pressure him and Souttar.

It’ll be fine. The budget isn’t the problem. There’s very little difference between a 4m and 6m player in this league. It’s all about how they are set up, managed and their mentality.
Last summer we sold Kamara, Sakala and Colak for around £11m. We spent around £14m.

The summer before we sold Aribo and Bassey for around £25m. We didn't spend anywhere near that.

What we spend will directly be linked to what we raise.

Disagree

The captain in an ideal would be a born bear, we would also have 2/3 minimum who are rangers daft and going tonto when shit hits the fan

Here’s what really bemused me yesterday, after Tav scored the penalty he was looking around as if to say ( awe ok common then let’s try lads )

Another player/captain would have been going mental getting everyone fired up for 7 minutes that we could have won in years gone bye

Never fails.

Bad result? Get people in who know what it's all about and might shout a bit

Pray tell, where do we get this mythical team of wonderful Scottish players whilst also not being held to ransom by the 'dross' and making sure they're born into a Rangers supporting family?

We laugh at that lot for their Lisbon lions pish, and for having every signing proclaim how they listened on the radio in Guangzhou province to the swashbuckling Celtic sides. Turns out there are just as many on our side who want this fake mills and boon pish.

Borna, Roofe, Jack, Silva just off top of my head will be away. That surely frees up a good chunk of wages. Nominal fees for Hagi, Dessers, Lammers Wright and Raskin. The board will need to dig deep though.

I’m so fed up I’d do the following If we dont win league.
Release all OOC & loan players.
Sell Butland, Tav, Goldson, Davies, Lawrence, Hagi, Dowell, Cifuentes, Raskin, Matondo, Wright, Dessers and Lammers for as much as you can get for each player. Perhaps even release some who are near end of contract and on low wages (I’m looking at Scott Wright there).

Now hopefully we’d get near £10 mil for Butland and I’d hope we could still get our money back on Dessers and Lammers. Maybe between £7-15 million for rest. I’ve no idea of what their values are, but some were free transfers, so I’d like to hope we’d get a million or 2 for the likes of Lawrence, Raskin, and Matondo and maybe one or two others

Keep McRorie, Sterling, Souttar, Yilmaz, Diamonde, Cantwell, Danilo, McAusland, Promote McKinnon, Devine, King, Bailey Rice, Lowry (if he’s not been binned entirely), Yfeko, Fraser, Lyall, Lovelace( if still around). And any other promising youth who can step up into first team proper. A lot of them become our squad players rather than overpriced English lower league players. They should all know what it’s about to play for us, and apply themselves accordingly and one or 2 might surprise us and make themselves first 11 players.

Look to get in any promising Scottish youngster SPL in such as Watson from Killie, I’d take back Mayo as well tbh. Lennon Miller from Motherwell and any others.

We have to spend £4 million I think for Diamonde, If we have a usual £10 mill for a transfer budget, then that leaves £6 million plus whatever we can make from players sold. I’d spend some of that on Shankland, and to be honest I’d try and get Miovski in as well. 2 strikers who know the league and have scored against Celtic and one who is a Rangers supporter. Use the rest for Clement to get in a left sided CH, and creative CM and perhaps Cortez who looked good in his few appearances. I sadly still think Sima will be out of our reach financially.

None of this will of course happen, but it’s what I would do. Keep the players we can still work with and have shown something, promote the youths, and buy some decent Scottish players and the two best strikers in league outside of old firm and hopefully the management can work some magic and find us some gems.

Borna, Roofe, Jack, Silva just off top of my head will be away. That surely frees up a good chunk of wages. Nominal fees for Hagi, Dessers, Lammers Wright and Raskin. The board will need to dig deep though.

We might get something more than nominal for Hagi, Dessers and Raskin.

Davies, Dowell and Lawrence we can surely move on for some return.

I’m so fed up I’d do the following If we dont win league.
Release all OOC & loan players.
Sell Butland, Tav, Goldson, Davies, Lawrence, Hagi, Dowell, Cifuentes, Raskin, Matondo, Wright, Dessers and Lammers for as much as you can get for each player. Perhaps even release some who are near end of contract and on low wages (I’m looking at Scott Wright there).

Now hopefully we’d get near £10 mil for Butland and I’d hope we could still get our money back on Dessers and Lammers. Maybe between £7-15 million for rest. I’ve no idea of what their values are, but some were free transfers, so I’d like to hope we’d get a million or 2 for the likes of Lawrence, Raskin, and Matondo and maybe one or two others

Keep McRorie, Sterling, Souttar, Yilmaz, Diamonde, Cantwell, Danilo, McAusland, Promote McKinnon, Devine, King, Bailey Rice, Lowry (if he’s not been binned entirely), Yfeko, Fraser, Lyall, Lovelace( if still around). And any other promising youth who can step up into first team proper. A lot of them become our squad players rather than overpriced English lower league players. They should all know what it’s about to play for us, and apply themselves accordingly and one or 2 might surprise us and make themselves first 11 players.

Look to get in any promising Scottish youngster SPL in such as Watson from Killie, I’d take back Mayo as well tbh. Lennon Miller from Motherwell and any others.

We have to spend £4 million I think for Diamonde, If we have a usual £10 mill for a transfer budget, then that leaves £6 million plus whatever we can make from players sold. I’d spend some of that on Shankland, and to be honest I’d try and get Miovski in as well. 2 strikers who know the league and have scored against Celtic and one who is a Rangers supporter. Use the rest for Clement to get in a left sided CH, and creative CM and perhaps Cortez who looked good in his few appearances. I sadly still think Sima will be out of our reach financially.

None of this will of course happen, but it’s what I would do. Keep the players we can still work with and have shown something, promote the youths, and buy some decent Scottish players and the two best strikers in league outside of old firm and hopefully the management can work some magic and find us some gems.
What sort of squad size will Clement want do you reckon? Beale seemed to be talking about around 25, but he was making up as he went along.

Last edited:
Last summer we sold Kamara, Sakala and Colak for around £11m. We spent around £14m.

The summer before we sold Aribo and Bassey for around £25m. We didn't spend anywhere near that.

What we spend will directly be linked to what we raise.
Last summer we might have had a net spend of £3m, but don’t forget the other £3m+ on Raskin and Cantwell in the January. The same has happened this season with Diomande at £4.5m in January.

The year we sold Bassey and Aribo - nobody expected all of that money to be spent, nor was it necessary. Spending £4m for example on Davies should’ve meant a mainstay in the defence for years to come, not having to play midfielders and teenagers there within a matter of months of him signing because he could never declare himself fit.

The club had been running at a loss for a decade and it was used to help balance the books, as well as recover from Covid less than 12 months before.

I agree we still need to generate some of the budget from within the squad, which is why I think Dessers and Lammers will both be sold. They’re just as sellable as Colak and Sakala. Dessers is playing every game and Lammers is on fire in Holland.

I think there’s still a high probability Ridvan will leave and we’ll recoup most of the outlay on him. If we add in smaller fees for guys like Davies, Wright and possibly a sale of Raskin & Hagi, it won’t be dissimilar to last season.

If they decide to accept any offers for Butland then IMO it’ll be 8 figures and that would turbo charge any budget we have.

I maintain, that it’s not the amount spent that’s important. Some of the best players we’ve signed over the years have been for free’s or <£2m and Celtic have shown the same. Our biggest weapon in the market this summer will be the fortune of weekly wages freed up from Roofe, Jack, Barisic, McLaughlin, Balogun, all the loanees returning and possibly Lundstram.

Last edited:
I agree, which is why I think Dessers and Lammers will both be sold. They’re just as sellable as Colak and Sakala. Dessers is playing every game and Lammers is on fire in Holland.

I think there’s still a high probability Ridvan will leave and we’ll recoup most of the outlay on him. If we add in smaller fees for guys like Davies, Wright and possibly a sale of Raskin & Hagi, it won’t be dissimilar to last season.

If they decide to accept any offers for Butland then IMO it’ll be 8 figures and that would turbo charge any budget we have.

I maintain, that it’s not the amount spent that’s important. Some of the best players we’ve signed over the years have been for free’s or <£2m and Celtic have shown the same. Our biggest weapon in the market this summer will be the fortune of weekly wages freed up from Roofe, Jack, Barisic, McLaughlin, Balogun, all the loanees returning and possibly Lundstram.
I agree with pretty much everything you say bar the bit about Yilmaz.

Recouping what we spent was acceptable in January when he'd barely kicked his arse for 18 months.

He's finally showing why we paid semi decent money for him. Either we make a tidy profit or we keep. There's enough to do in the summer without adding "find a starting left back" to the list.

The CL cash aint in the tims bank account yet

The Board should be stressing to the management and players just how important six straight wins are for the long term health of the club

I agree with pretty much everything you say bar the bit about Yilmaz.

Recouping what we spent was acceptable in January when he'd barely kicked his arse for 18 months.

He's finally showing why we paid semi decent money for him. Either we make a tidy profit or we keep. There's enough to do in the summer without adding "find a starting left back" to the list.
I don’t see him as a starting left back, predominantly because he can’t string 5 games together without breaking down through injury.

If we retain him, we need another just as capable left back and won’t be able to take the Bassey/Patterson approach with younger players as back up. I like Ridvan but I think he’s one of the few players who’ll generate a decent fee and he might fancy a move too.

The league is gone unless they make an arse of things. Might as well drop all the out of contract & let them go & make their new deals. Play the likes of Rice & others as there is no pressure, see what we can promote for next season that's how RMC has come through out of necessity.
As much as I agree that it's probably finished it's not quite throw the youth in time yet mate

Agree.

Plenty of Celtic players aren't connected to them mate but they win things.

We might get something more than nominal for Hagi, Dessers and Raskin.

Davies, Dowell and Lawrence we can surely move on for some return.
100% we’ll get something more than nominal.

We’ll reclaim most of Dessers fee - there’s always a club looking for a striker and he’s got an agent. That’s how we ended up with him. He’s played in Europe, Serie A and Holland and will finish this season on 20 goals.

Raskin is out of favour but he was out of favour when we bought him. He’s still a talented player.

Hagi will sell because of his name, although the fee depends on his wages.

The latter 3 of Davies, Dowell and Lawrence could be a problem. I don’t think people realise just how much these guys are (reportedly) on and English Champ sides just won’t match it and pay a fee, something will have to give.

Sheff Utd said we ‘blew them out of the the water’ with our offer for Lawrence, and they went up that season.

It's will take 2/3 years several windows and probably £30 million plus investment and of course getting the recruitment near enough perfect.

Koppen has inherited a mess and until we offload the high earners and the injury prone duds we are fucked for the foreseeable future.

Plans should be well underway now to start the overhaul but with funds tight, a bloated high wage bill and £4 million plus already committed to Diomande I'm not entire confident we will have much of a budget for next season.

This is why Koppen has been hired to find gems and low priced assets who we can bring in, develop and sell for big money that needs to be the start of our player trading model.
We must bring the wage bill down significantly. However players who are already good and playing well demand and command large wages. Its a difficult one but the wage bill has to drop more youth have to be given a chance another difficult balancing act

It's will take 2/3 years several windows and probably £30 million plus investment and of course getting the recruitment near enough perfect.

Koppen has inherited a mess and until we offload the high earners and the injury prone duds we are fucked for the foreseeable future.

Plans should be well underway now to start the overhaul but with funds tight, a bloated high wage bill and £4 million plus already committed to Diomande I'm not entire confident we will have much of a budget for next season.

This is why Koppen has been hired to find gems and low priced assets who we can bring in, develop and sell for big money that needs to be the start of our player trading model.
Feels like we've been saying this for the last 2/3 years. Win our game in hand and we're literally a point off the top. Aye, it's not ideal and the last couple of performances haven't been good enough, but there's some amount of hysteria ATM.

You word that as if they were unmovable duds. Sakala had 12 goals in each of his seasons with us despite playing out wide, Colak had scored 17 times between August and the end of October. They were literally two of our most productive/effective players, the fact they weren't fancied by the fraud that is Michael Beale is irrelevant - we were always going to get money for them.

You word that as if they were unmovable duds. Sakala had 12 goals in each of his seasons with us despite playing out wide, Colak had scored 17 times between August and the end of October. They were literally two of our most productive/effective players, the fact they weren't fancied by the fraud that is Michael Beale is irrelevant - we were always going to get money for them.
It’s other people wording it that Dessers and Lammers are unmovable duds that led me to cite those examples.

I knew they held value in the market. It was a comparison between 2 players who could be moving on and the fees we may receive, vs 2 players who did move on.

There are lots of our support that think just because a player isn’t the answer for us, then we just need to do a Martin Bain and pay them off as no other club could possibly want them, which is rarely the case.

It’s other people wording it that Dessers and Lammers are unmovable duds that led me to cite those examples.

I knew they held value in the market. It was a comparison between 2 players who could be moving on and the fees we may receive, vs 2 players who did move on.

There are lots of our support that think just because a player isn’t the answer for us, then we just need to do a Martin Bain and pay them off as no other club could possibly want them, which is rarely the case.
Fully agreed there. Even if it means taking a hit on some players, there's always interested parties at the right price.

At a guess I'd say we're definitely taking a hit on the first 3. Dessers might have done enough to getting close to our money back. Hagi an Raskin I'd imagine a million each. The other 3 you mentioned yeah some sort of nominal fee wouldn't be expecting much.

Does feel like it's the same every season, CB & ST badly need addressed though, especially CB been neglected for far too long.

Back