We must be patient with Gerrard.

Totally agree.

FF is a small minority in terms of the Rangers fan base where the mentalists want him sacked, the vast majority are most definitely behind him despite the way we are playing at the moment.

Totally agree.

FF is a small minority in terms of the Rangers fan base where the mentalists want him sacked, the vast majority are most definitely behind him despite the way we are playing at the moment.
In fact most at game today were quite aware he seems bang average and struggling big time.

He needs help but I do want him to be a success. He clearly doesn't have the experience just now. It's hard to be patient though - we are a club hungry for success. We could have had some this season too if it hadn't been for some seriously silly mistakes.

As above, an experienced assistant manager might help. Or, even someone that can just work with Gerrard behind the scenes.

That's just yet another excuse. To do what, take over the reigns.

He's got one of the best, copyright FF, in Beale. McAllister too.

Anything to take the limelight off Gerrard as some just don't want to admit he might just not have it.
Take it as an excuse if you wish. However, when Souness, a rookie manager, came he had a very experienced assistant manager. I don’t think anyone has ever doubted the job Walter did as his assistant.

He'll do much better next season now that he has seen that the challenge is about much more than purely football.

I've seen more than enough to be confident Steven Gerrard will win us 55.

We're lucky to have him.

As much as I would stand by him for now I don’t get this “we’re lucky to have him” attitude. Can I ask why based on what you’re witnessing makes you feel lucky?

I think that sort of fawning over the manager is part of the problem, and makes us look small time. It certainly wouldn’t have been afforded to any of the last three incumbents, whose record he is hardly blowing away.

If anything as a rookie manager I think you could argue he was lucky to get such a gig with no experience.

Anyway I hope he turns it round I really do, as I was one of the ones who admittedly really bought into the appointment. I said earlier though I would not be shocked if he were gone by Christmas. He just doesn’t appear to be learning, and is causing his own problems.

Unless we get fortunate in the Europa draw he is going to do well to match that feat, and I think unfairly he’ll be up against it from the start. He’s then relying on being in the hunt for the league at Christmas, and if not I don’t think he would last.

It makes the decision to give a rookie a four year contract even more baffling. It seems the manager is not the only one at the club who doesn’t seem to learn.

He needs an experienced, successful assistant manager.
Why don't we just make the experienced,successful assistant manager ,the manager?.Or as I have said all along ,the appointment of Gerrard was simply a PR stunt We weren't thinking straight,We needed a"big name".Well we got our big name all right.Albeit a rookie who had never managed in his puff and that decision could come back to haunt us for years to come.After the Warburton/Pedro/Murty debacle We had to get it right .We have made a complete and utter balls of it.

Mistakes are to be expected of a rookie manager - but to be worth sticking with he needs to prove he is learning from those mistakes .
The manager has until August to build a title winning side . This summer he must prove he knows what it takes to do this

Anyone who says they weren’t buzzing when Gerrard came in is a lying bastard.

We as a support are fucking rotten.

The atmosphere recently has been horrendous , we as a support can’t depend on the UB all the time! How about everyone else step up and get a fucking atmosphere generated and stick together , and back the players and the management , we claim Ibrox is this and that yet it’s pish unless it’s celtic or European nights , then all the half wits come on Clyde one giving it the big yin!

We as loved Stevie G when he got us into Europe ,
We loved him when we went top of the league
We loved him when we beat celtic and he applauded the stadium,
We loved him when he walked out the tunnel with that Rangers Suit and tie on , meeting the support for the first time.

Let’s bloody back the guy!
The guys learning. Learning the job and also learning on approaches in management style that may be needed at times. The realism of the task in hand to give us as a support everything we crave is a hard hard ask.

But %^*& me the defeatist attitude and negativity in our support is shocking.

Why do fans have to tiptoe around saying they'd get rid of him?

I wouldn't but there are so may stopping shot of saying that as if they fear condemnation.

You could go back to a thread a week ago and look at how I was accosted for simply saying that he hasn’t progressed us a great deal, or not as much as some claim. It ended with some helmet telling me I’ve got no business supporting Rangers. I think that’s why people are a bit tentative.

I do agree but to come up with that starting 11 today that he did really does have me scratching my head in disbelief just what is he thinking.

If he needs his hand held then he shouldn’t be here.
He's a young manager who has taken on one of the biggest jobs in British football with no real experience, very little funds to rebuild. Of course he needs an older, experienced older head to advise and guide him in the early part of his tenure. He'll learn as he goes about the rebuild of the club but it will take time.

We’re solid enough to challenge imo

He’ll get my backing to get us creative enough to challenge next year.

Now is the time to be patient and help him.

He has made some mistakes like making Tav captain and splitting Katic and Goldson upand isn’t above criticism but he has also gave us some great nights in Europe nights I didn’t think we’d see for another few years and also got the monkey off our back re beating them.

He knows what this team needs and he will be backed imo and I also believe we will be a different animal under him next season.

By all means I understand the frustration but he has done some fine work and will be better for it next season imo.

I still think majority back him and like we have all season he needs us so let’s support him like never before.

Far too sensible a post for on here.

You could go back to a thread a week ago and look at how I was accosted for simply saying that he hasn’t progressed us a great deal, or not as much as some claim. It ended with some helmet telling me I’ve got no business supporting Rangers. I think that’s why people are a bit tentative.
You could out a bag of cement on a Rangers blazer and people would call you a disgrace for calling it a bag of cement.

I am more than happy to give Gerrard another season but I do wish people would just be up front about their opinions.

First thing's first.

What about getting behind the team for 90 minutes instead of howls of derision the first time a player makes a mistake.

Does my phuckin head in, the amount of so called supporters who can't wait to get on the team's back at the games.
It sure as phuck ain't going to help.

Stevie G and the team need our support more than ever over the next few weeks and I for one will be 100% behind him and the players knowing fine well they've let us down time after time this season but I'm more than willing to give Stevie G and his backroom team at least one more season to get it right.

NS.

I'll sit and wait while he plays the same failure of a system every week. Its all good no hurry
The system is killing us but yet again today he’s still persisted with it.
He also keeps banging on about getting a reaction, today was played out like a meaningless last game of the season. Next season we’re back to square one because the majority of that squad are either not good enough or haven’t the mentality to challenge that mob for the league.

Your whole point, however, was that some of us are 'stars-truck teenagers' who can't see beyond Gerrard the player and his status within the game. Which is patronising nonsense, just because we have a different opinion.

You also agree with a poster who suggests that Gerrard was not a winner as a player.

Again, it's the social media rush to declare someone a success or a failure with no reasonable time given. FF is renowned for it and would have spent our transfer budget on Coulibaly and latterly Ryan Kent. That's now been dismissed in the same way the "must-buy" of last season Sean Goss.

Of course Gerrard was going to make mistakes and there would be mishaps. Anyone thinking otherwise was always going to be disappointed.

Totally agree.

Going by the crowd today I think rather more than the FF minority have given up the ghost.

We are in Gerrard's first season, so I'm not looking for miracles. He's also new to a culture up here and privately he'll be shocked at the anti-Rangers hatred that runs throughout our game, from the SFA and refs downwards, even to players in opposing teams. He might have thought he saw " football rivalry" down south, but this is different, very different.

Why don't we just make the experienced,successful assistant manager ,the manager?.Or as I have said all along ,the appointment of Gerrard was simply a PR stunt We weren't thinking straight,We needed a"big name".Well we got our big name all right.Albeit a rookie who had never managed in his puff and that decision could come back to haunt us for years to come.After the Warburton/Pedro/Murty debacle We had to get it right .We have made a complete and utter balls of it.
A successful assistant manager isn’t necessarily ready to step up e.g. Archie Knox. We’ve done this once before with a big name rookie manager. While there are other differences - financial gap between England and Scotland not so big and no euro football for English clubs - the lack of an experienced assistant is imo, huge.

I hope the majority still back him but the banshees are out in force and making Ibrox an unpleasant place to spend an evening or afternoon.
The banshees as you call them are mostly people who never go to Ibrox they are always the first to mouth off for some reason and most real fans understand that Gerard needs time as you say we have beaten the scum that lifted us and Gérard knows he will never pick a team that suits every one, today we were terrible in the first half but he made changes and nobody can say we didn't dominate the second half apart from our marauding full who can give the ball away sometimes but he has improved us no doubt in my mind and patience with him by all real fans will pay off.

I will tell you what there is some optimistic posters on here or blind
I've always said its about next season but im getting worried this is awful
Dave King and the board are to blame here giving the manager of Rangers to a novice
we are going nowhere until this board appoint a proper manager
Is that right member eh.

Time and tide wait for no man, but time is what the manager needs and we as a support are not known for given time to anyone, when Walter was winning everything, there was those who lost the plot at Ibrox every time they went to the game, I go back to that time and think these guys went to the football to escape a shrew of a wife who they cant control and take it out on the Rangers, or perhaps not?

Like McCoist he has no credentials.

Alex Ferguson got the Aberdeen job because he won the first division and made a decent fist of keeping St Mirren ùp.

He got the Utd job by winning the ECWC and the Scottish leagu.

Our last three managers have had zero credentials for managing Rangers.

Being good looking, charismatic and a right good footballer is not a credential for being a Rangers manager.

Your whole point, however, was that some of us are 'stars-truck teenagers' who can't see beyond Gerrard the player and his status within the game. Which is patronising nonsense, just because we have a different opinion.

You also agree with a poster who suggests that Gerrard was not a winner as a player.

Again, it's the social media rush to declare someone a success or a failure with no reasonable time given. FF is renowned for it and would have spent our transfer budget on Coulibaly and latterly Ryan Kent. That's now been dismissed in the same way the "must-buy" of last season Sean Goss.

Of course Gerrard was going to make mistakes and there would be mishaps. Anyone thinking otherwise was always going to be disappointed.

Which I still think is absolutely true, and it’s clear from evidence, particular in the difference in reaction between this pathetic second half of the season, and the reaction when similar happened under previous management. If that’s not enough we’vd got people looking to pin blame on the assistant manager, the director of football, and the latest one which is my favourite yet, Morelos, the one person at the club who’s keeping things respectable for us right now.

Bottom line is, the way the 3 of them kicked and screamed over my opinion was pathetic. Can’t rememenr if you were one of them, but either way I stand by it.

Same mistakes every week with no sign of changing. No wonder people are alarmed, but when you see some of the reactions to the criticism is also not surprising some are scared to just be honest and say they’re starting to feel like he’s not going to be a good enough manager.

Which I still think is absolutely true, and it’s clear from evidence, particular in the difference in reaction between this pathetic second half of the season, and the reaction when similar happened under previous management.

There you go again unable to distinguish between the managers.

The reason the reaction is different is because of what happened in the first half of the season. Pedro didn’t build any credit or give an indication he knew what he was doing. Naturally his errors were magnified - it happens when you are being routinely humiliated.

Archie Knox on RTV talked of the size of the job and the time necessary. Is he also blinded by stardom?

There you go again unable to distinguish between the managers.

The reason the reaction is different is because of what happened in the first half of the season. Pedro didn’t build any credit or give an indication he knew what he was doing. Naturally his errors were magnified - it happens when you are being routinely humiliated.

Archie Knox on RTV talked of the size of the job and the time necessary. Is he also blinded by stardom?

Yeah so you were saying the last time, we had a decent run in Europe and beat Celtic so that allows for the feeble excuses for our piss poor league form. I also said last time that he’s obviously done a better job than the previous two OVERALL, but it doesn’t entitle him to escape criticism for the state of the league results.

You are absolutely kidding yourself on if you think the managers profile isn’t playing a significant part in the leeway he’s been given.

And your Archie Knox argument is weak as piss, none of the RTV guests ever criticise the manager, they never did it when Warburton or Pedro were in charge either.

Yeah so you were saying the last time, we had a decent run in Europe and beat Celtic so that allows for the feeble excuses for our piss poor league form. I also said last time that he’s obviously done a better job than the previous two OVERALL, but it doesn’t entitle him to escape criticism for the state of the league results.

You are absolutely kidding yourself on if you think the managers profile isn’t playing a significant part in the leeway he’s been given.

And your Archie Knox argument is weak as piss, none of the RTV guests ever criticise the manager, they never did it when Warburton or Pedro were in charge either.

Archie Knox is just an example of someone with experience - something you and I do not have. You're happy to dismiss it due to the platform an opinion is given on. That says more about you.

No one's saying SG should escape criticism - again, another odd example of your argument by suggesting things that aren't happening. We're all aware of the disappointments and frustrations. There are some, however, that do so improvement in the team and the potential. In doing so, we naturally refer to the better moments of the season as that's the basis of our opinion - they are not "feeble excuses".

You're obviously the one with difficulty of the "manager's profile" as you keep referring to it (as well as his playing career). I'm only talking about this season.

Archie Knox is just an example of someone with experience - something you and I do not have. You're happy to dismiss it due to the platform an opinion is given on. That says more about you.

No one's saying SG should escape criticism - again, another odd example of your argument by suggesting things that aren't happening. We're all aware of the disappointments and frustrations. There are some, however, that do so improvement in the team and the potential. In doing so, we naturally refer to the better moments of the season as that's the basis of our opinion - they are not "feeble excuses".

You're obviously the one with difficulty of the "manager's profile" as you keep referring to it (as well as his playing career). I'm only talking about this season.

Is that all you’re going to do? Waffle pseudo-intellectual nonsense?

1) The guests don’t criticise the manager and didn’t criticise the two previous managers in spite of their serious ineptitude, therefore your attempt at making some sort of point is not valid because even if Knox felt he wasn’t up to it he would never say so, and you know this anyway, you just don’t want to say “okay, I got it wrong”.
2) you brought his profile up when you quoted me, so I’m discussing it now, and I mentioned it previously because it’s obviously clouding judgment for many people. Imagine the shock, discussing such a thing on a discussion forum.

The middle part is jibberish and doesn’t make sense. Harking back to 3 or 4 months ago is feeble to be perfectly honest, particularly when the second half of the season has been as disappointing as it has. I have my opinon, I’ve backed it up reasonably well. If you don’t like it, feel free to stick me on ignore.

Anyway no disrespect, but you’re boring me, and the “you say black I say white” nonsense has already run it’s course on this particular thread. Have a good one.

Is that all you’re going to do? Waffle pseudo-intellectual nonsense?

1) The guests don’t criticise the manager and didn’t criticise the two previous managers in spite of their serious ineptitude, therefore your attempt at making some sort of point is not valid because even if Knox felt he wasn’t up to it he would never say so, and you know this anyway, you just don’t want to say “okay, I got it wrong”.
2) you brought his profile up when you quoted me, so I’m discussing it now, and I mentioned it previously because it’s obviously clouding judgment for many people. Imagine the shock, discussing such a thing on a discussion forum.

The middle part is jibberish and doesn’t make sense. Harking back to 3 or 4 months ago is feeble to be perfectly honest, particularly when the second half of the season has been as disappointing as it has. I have my opinon, I’ve backed it up reasonably well. If you don’t like it, feel free to stick me on ignore.

Anyway no disrespect, but you’re boring me, and the “you say black I say white” nonsense has already run it’s course on this particular thread. Have a good one.

I think this confirms exactly who you are. Thanks.

Time and again, this season and last, I find myself echoing your thoughts.

We have to start with stability. Gerrard has to be backed to lead us going forward.

The reality is, we wasted a lot of time and money with Pedro. Gerrard has had to ship out the remains of that mess, whilst a few hung on sucking wages out the club on loan.

We might have a similar points tally to last year, but this current team would murder Pedro’s team. That’s progress, and I’m backing the manager.
We need to stop being too reliant on Alfredo to score the goals and other players need to step up more. No doubt he will find the players starting with Alfie's replacement. We need AMs and wingers who can beat a man and cross a ball like McLean/ McCann.

Some mistakes is being kind.

His domestic record is utterly deplorable and sackable.
Remember a good few months ago the media thing with Rossiter sitting, that we will replace and get hard if they are not doing it.
Still to see it myself, halliday for barasic then barasic for halliday, coulibally ( who should be leaving soon) instead of mccrorie.
An unfit davis ( who should be leaving soon).
Didnt want to go into the dressing room after the aberdeen game then watching that shit v killie.
He aint got a clue, give him next season to see.
But the writing is on the wall.

Why do fans have to tiptoe around saying they'd get rid of him?

I wouldn't but there are so may stopping shot of saying that as if they fear condemnation.

Some people don't think it's worth the abuse.

You highlight weaknesses, areas of concern, constructive criticism and it's met with, panty wetter, hater, zoomer, poet... by people who don't understand who to read, take it in and debate. They don't like a difference in opinion so just resort to name calling.

The, Gerrard will come good and lead us to 55', every thing else doesn't matter, is just nonsense. There are no points to back that up, just hope. Being better than a Warburton, Caixinha or Murty side isn't exactly some thing go shout about. The opposition have Gerrard and his game plan sussed and he offers no come back.

There are glaring weaknesses in his locker; failure to learn his lesson, inability to get the best out of players, question marks over his signings, choice of personnel, the use of Defoe, the use of 4-3-3, no plan b, inability to change a game, mentally weak, tactically naive and inept. He sits in his pressers, mentions how the opposition will line up, play yet does nothing to combat it. He bins a player who's clearly not impressing him, then hooks him 45 minutes in to a game. I remember when Caixinha made half time substitutions and was hounded for it.

Some people may call the above garbage, well the proof is in the performances and results - domestically it's been atrocious and it's not down to a lack of inconsistency. It goes deeper than that. All very well smashing 10 man Kilmarnock in a cup replay, Dundee and Hamilton yet struggling against the likes of St. Johnstone, Aberdeen x 2, Kilmarnock, Hibs... shows how poor we are.

I'll call it how it is, I'm not one for sitting about pretending all is okay and will come good because it's sounds positive. Seen it all too often under McCoist, Warburton, Caixinha and Murty in recent years.

It's March, we are out every competition, the players have thrown in the towel, results are poor and the manager is unwilling to change things or make a difference. People are kidding themselves if they think 3 or 4 new signings will do. We are miles away, both on and off the park.

Said at the time that the Gerrard appointment was crazy on two points.

1) Crazy decision after Caixinha, Warburton and Murty. Appointing an under 18's coach with no managerial experience after every thing we had been through was nonsense. After McInnes we fell back to some one like Gerrard.

2) Interesting appointment, excitement to see how he fairs given he was a footballing icon, a world class ex player...

Sadly it's looking like 1 because the excitement has gone, the results and performances aren't good enough - they are turgid, one paced, predictable. Like previous seasons, we've no answers to unlocking dogged, organised teams with an unwillingness to change. The same weaknesses crop up time and time again and results continue to be poor. We've won 17 league games from 30 and flopped in every domestic cup competition.

It's not just keyboard wizards who are moaning - stupid term given by people who can't accept criticism. The Ibrox crowd are becoming restless and we saw that in the last two home matches - the boos yesterday were on par with what we saw under McCoist and Warburton.

Errrrr, why would I?

Souness was a success and he certainly didn’t need his hand held and wasn’t averse to making changes.
He had Smith in right at the start. While no one can ever know what would have happened if Souness didn’t have Smith, or another experienced assistant manager, with him, I’ve never heard one person doubt the benefits of Smith being there. And apart from you, I don’t think anyone’s talking about hand holding.

Back