West Ham fan fighting off AZ ultras

If any normal person saw their family being attacked, surely it's not hard to grasp that protecting them would be their first, last and only priority. Being a footballer doesn't change that.

Where have I said otherwise? All I've said is that UEFA will see it as footballers fighting with fans and punish them. You can see Paqueta throwing punches at one of the stewards.

Fair enough, clearly a culture you have very limited knowledge of - like I said plenty are naive on it.

Just seen this pop up on Facebook, thought it was pretty positive but entitled to your view.

So because some ultra groups do charitable deeds now and again it changes everything? Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose.

zzzzz

So you tell us over and over again on every thread remotely connected to ultras or hooligans, what do you want? Someone to declare you correct or something? No one cares.

It's funny watching him howling at the moon on every thread like this

"Ultras are shite, please notice me!" x10

The stick me on ignore, simple.

You and your wee pals.

Where have I said otherwise? All I've said is that UEFA will see it as footballers fighting with fans and punish them. You can see Paqueta throwing punches at one of the stewards.

So because some ultra groups do charitable deeds now and again it changes everything? Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose.
Haven’t the time to be honest as plenty have been here with you before. It’s one thing being naive but another being ignorant.

The OP sent in a video of an ultras group attacking a set of fans.

I say ultras groups are scum.

You think they're brilliant because they host charity events.

We'll agree to disagree.
Never said anything of the sort and it’s all there in my replies on here. Like I’ve said there is being naive on the topic, which many are but I can see why. Then there is being ignorant on it, like yourself. You add someone who is clearly very childish to it, again like yourself and jobs knackered.

10 minutes actually reading and digesting replies on the topic will help you here but you clearly aren’t capable of that so that is fine by me.

Fully expect a reply saying I think these morons last night are great lads or something now!

West Ham keeper and his wife hail 'Angel of Alkmaar' - known as 'Knollsy' - who fought off Dutch ultras as the hero dad-of-four reveals he's recovering from a hip replacement (and can't get tickets to the final!)

West Ham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola and his wife have hailed the fearless fan who defended the families of the Premier League team's players from a mob of Dutch hooligans last night.

Chris Knoll, dubbed the 'Angel of Alkmaar', is a 58-year-old father-of-four recovering from hip replacement surgery, MailOnline can reveal.

He has been widely praised for putting himself in harm's way as hooded thugs tried to storm the seating area where the players' partners and children were He refused to allow the 'ultras' to reach the terrified group – as concerned West Ham players, including striker Michail Antonio, rushed from the pitch after their victory over AK Alkmaar.

On Friday afternoon, West Ham and France goalkeeper Areola called Knoll a 'legend' while his wife Marrion Areola Valette added he was the 'biggest hero' on a historic night for the Hammers.

Sporting a swollen left eye and red scrapes on his face, Chris told MailOnline: 'I'm not a hero. I just did what I had to do. There was another guy who was fending them off. I don't like bullies and just had to try and stop them.

The hero West Ham fan who defended the families of West Ham players from a mob of Dutch hooligans last night is 58-year-old father-of-four Chris Knoll, who is recovering from hip replacement surgery, MailOnline can reveal

The Briton, known as 'Knollsy', can be seen holding off the Dutch hooligans at the top of a set of stairs as they attempt to flood into the seating of the family 'I just thought the best form of defence was to attack. You could see they were intent of causing trouble and I did not want them to get to those behind us.'

Chris, known to his friends as 'Knollsy', stood atop a stairwell to prevent the Dutch hooligans from reaching other fans.

Footage of Chris fighting off at least half a dozen AK Alkmaar ultras has gone worldwide. He was pictured afterwards with his shirt torn, but still smiling.

He has been widely praised on social media for his heroic stand, being likened to heroic figures in history and characters from 'Games of Thrones'.

Chris, who has supported the East London club since he was a teenager, said he had travelled to the semi-final match with his son-in-law and a close friend.
The match had passed off without trouble until West Ham sealed victory to secure a place in the Europa Conference Final in the closing minutes – leading to the AK Alkmaar thugs dressed all in black to burst through stewards and attempt to climb up into the stands where the families of players were seated.

Chris said: 'We were in our seats and we just scored and I saw all the flares go off. It was getting a little bit rowdy.

'I saw them all congregated on the side of the pitch and then they broke down the barriers and headed to the first group of West Ham fans. I know what they were intent on doing and was not going to let it happen.

'It was fairly obvious what was going to happen because they were intent on coming to us. They were the ultras, you could see that from what they were wearing. I just decided I wasn't going to let them come up.

'I just thought the best form of defence would be to get to the top of the stairs where they were coming up and just stood there and tried to stop them. I know they were swinging punches and I just did my best to stand there and take West Ham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola called Knoll a 'legend' on Instagram

Areola's wife added he was the 'biggest hero' on a historic night for the Hammers

Areola and wife Marrion Areola Valette took to social media to share their thanks with Knoll

Footage captured Chris and another fan trading blows as they were swarmed by the Ultras.

Chris said he was able to fend off at least four of the thugs but two could behind him and landed several blows on his face.

His left eye is badly bruised and red scrape marks are clearly visible on the side of his face.

He said: 'If you've seen the pictures, there's about five or six guys in front of me and I'm sort of trying to fend them off.

'Somehow, I don't know how, two got behind me, right. And as I'm dealing with the other guys, there's one guy who's just constantly bagging me in the side of the head. That's what caused the bruised eye. Its not too bad, but I might go to hospital to get it checked out.'

Chris's actions have been praised by other fans on social media for his heroism despite being outnumbered.

Others have said the club – or players who were so concerned they tried to reach their family – should give him tickets for the final in the Czech capital Prague as a way of thanks for his heroism.

Speaking at his home in West London he said some of the comments on social media suggesting he is an 'old school' hooligan who was part of the notorious ICF (Inter City Firm) gang are wide of the mark.

'I'm not involved in any trouble, just an ordinary season ticket holder who goes to every home game,' he Pulling down his green West Ham club short to reveal a 10-inch-long scar on his right hip from his recent operation he joked: 'Not really a hooligan am I. I'm in my late 50s and just had a hip replacement surgery.'

Chris, an electrician, stayed overnight in an Amsterdam hotel before flying back to his home to his wife Karen in West London.

He said she was not surprised that he had stood up to protect women and children.

'She knows what I am like, and I don't like bullies. My kids are the same, they will always stand up and be counted,' he said.

'I've been a season ticket holder for about five years and always go to the home games. I can't go to the away games as it takes over your life, and I'm not sure the wife would be too happy as I've got work as well.

'Apart from what happened at the end it was a fantastic night, and so pleased we are in the final.'

Am sure some of the local cops are happy to see foreigners get a bit of a doing in many of these countries. They seem to turn a blind eye to some of these mobs. Then come in late and whack the foreigners. That one last night and some of the stuff in Brondby we saw appears that way.

Speaking at his home in West London he said some of the comments on social media suggesting he is an 'old school' hooligan who was part of the notorious ICF (Inter City Firm) gang are wide of the mark.

'I'm not involved in any trouble, just an ordinary season ticket holder who goes to every home game,' he said.
Funnily enough Tony Gale said the exact same thing about them looking like an army of ants making their way towards that area of the stadium.

West Ham keeper and his wife hail 'Angel of Alkmaar' - known as 'Knollsy' - who fought off Dutch ultras as the hero dad-of-four reveals he's recovering from a hip replacement (and can't get tickets to the final!)

West Ham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola and his wife have hailed the fearless fan who defended the families of the Premier League team's players from a mob of Dutch hooligans last night.

Chris Knoll, dubbed the 'Angel of Alkmaar', is a 58-year-old father-of-four recovering from hip replacement surgery, MailOnline can reveal.

He has been widely praised for putting himself in harm's way as hooded thugs tried to storm the seating area where the players' partners and children were He refused to allow the 'ultras' to reach the terrified group – as concerned West Ham players, including striker Michail Antonio, rushed from the pitch after their victory over AK Alkmaar.

On Friday afternoon, West Ham and France goalkeeper Areola called Knoll a 'legend' while his wife Marrion Areola Valette added he was the 'biggest hero' on a historic night for the Hammers.

Sporting a swollen left eye and red scrapes on his face, Chris told MailOnline: 'I'm not a hero. I just did what I had to do. There was another guy who was fending them off. I don't like bullies and just had to try and stop them.

The hero West Ham fan who defended the families of West Ham players from a mob of Dutch hooligans last night is 58-year-old father-of-four Chris Knoll, who is recovering from hip replacement surgery, MailOnline can reveal

The Briton, known as 'Knollsy', can be seen holding off the Dutch hooligans at the top of a set of stairs as they attempt to flood into the seating of the family 'I just thought the best form of defence was to attack. You could see they were intent of causing trouble and I did not want them to get to those behind us.'

Chris, known to his friends as 'Knollsy', stood atop a stairwell to prevent the Dutch hooligans from reaching other fans.

Footage of Chris fighting off at least half a dozen AK Alkmaar ultras has gone worldwide. He was pictured afterwards with his shirt torn, but still smiling.

He has been widely praised on social media for his heroic stand, being likened to heroic figures in history and characters from 'Games of Thrones'.

Chris, who has supported the East London club since he was a teenager, said he had travelled to the semi-final match with his son-in-law and a close friend.
The match had passed off without trouble until West Ham sealed victory to secure a place in the Europa Conference Final in the closing minutes – leading to the AK Alkmaar thugs dressed all in black to burst through stewards and attempt to climb up into the stands where the families of players were seated.

Chris said: 'We were in our seats and we just scored and I saw all the flares go off. It was getting a little bit rowdy.

'I saw them all congregated on the side of the pitch and then they broke down the barriers and headed to the first group of West Ham fans. I know what they were intent on doing and was not going to let it happen.

'It was fairly obvious what was going to happen because they were intent on coming to us. They were the ultras, you could see that from what they were wearing. I just decided I wasn't going to let them come up.

'I just thought the best form of defence would be to get to the top of the stairs where they were coming up and just stood there and tried to stop them. I know they were swinging punches and I just did my best to stand there and take West Ham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola called Knoll a 'legend' on Instagram

Areola's wife added he was the 'biggest hero' on a historic night for the Hammers

Areola and wife Marrion Areola Valette took to social media to share their thanks with Knoll

Footage captured Chris and another fan trading blows as they were swarmed by the Ultras.

Chris said he was able to fend off at least four of the thugs but two could behind him and landed several blows on his face.

His left eye is badly bruised and red scrape marks are clearly visible on the side of his face.

He said: 'If you've seen the pictures, there's about five or six guys in front of me and I'm sort of trying to fend them off.

'Somehow, I don't know how, two got behind me, right. And as I'm dealing with the other guys, there's one guy who's just constantly bagging me in the side of the head. That's what caused the bruised eye. Its not too bad, but I might go to hospital to get it checked out.'

Chris's actions have been praised by other fans on social media for his heroism despite being outnumbered.

Others have said the club – or players who were so concerned they tried to reach their family – should give him tickets for the final in the Czech capital Prague as a way of thanks for his heroism.

'I'm not involved in any trouble, just an ordinary season ticket holder who goes to every home game,' he Pulling down his green West Ham club short to reveal a 10-inch-long scar on his right hip from his recent operation he joked: 'Not really a hooligan am I. I'm in my late 50s and just had a hip replacement surgery.'

Chris, an electrician, stayed overnight in an Amsterdam hotel before flying back to his home to his wife Karen in West London.

He said she was not surprised that he had stood up to protect women and children.

'She knows what I am like, and I don't like bullies. My kids are the same, they will always stand up and be counted,' he said.

'I've been a season ticket holder for about five years and always go to the home games. I can't go to the away games as it takes over your life, and I'm not sure the wife would be too happy as I've got work as well.

'Apart from what happened at the end it was a fantastic night, and so pleased we are in the final.'
Hero

I didn't expect that away fixture to be so venomous, but it was. I got some verbals after the game, probably wanted me to react.
We did as walked to train station but plenty of our fans sticking together
Remember at half time few bronby fans trying to get reaction by goarding us at fence between two sets of fans

I would have been with the lads, if i were a Hammers fan and not unsteady on ma feet

Its been a long time since i visited Holland but always thought they were the coolest of cool people, laid back and friendly...With this and what appears to be the sheer hatred between Ajax and Feyenoord fans WTF has happened?

There now appears to be a scene that has developed in the last 5 to 10 years that is bigger and more organised and looks like we will see more of it on our travels.
Having followed Rangers since the 70’s I’ve seen the days of big bevvied up squads of fans having a go all over the place, then into the 80’s and 90’s were there were Firms that fought mainly each other.
Recently at away games abroad you tend to see gangs of young guys, same clobber, flares and fireworks sometime thrown to cause confusion and willing to punch and kick anyone nearby once they get the signal to start. Liberty takers like AZ Alkmaar last night.

Take the Osijek game at Ibrox for example. We were in the car, crawling up the traffic on Paisley Road so basically saw them and drove alongside them as they went towards Ibrox.
Opposite the old Harry Ramsdens we saw them appear, walking up in file, t shirts on, quite a few with rucksacks on. Looking peaceful chatting away. They go into the Quayside where they are welcome and hang about there. We drove on
Later, the video shows the same squad get up near Ibrox Library, the black kit has come out the rucksacks, clobber on, with the flares brought out.
At junction of Edmiston Drive the message goes out from the main man and they just start kicking and punching anyone nearby.
Well done the Rangers boys that eventually run up from Ibrox direction to stop them. They then get gathered together by the Police, protected on their way into the game. Herded off to the airport usually. They know that in the mob they very rarely get arrested ( although there may have been a couple that night, or just taken to hospital ). For what they did they should have been in the nick for a couple of days and charged etc. Any local Scots would have been nicked for doing that.
Abroad, the local cops seem to give them the blind eye to attack foreigners unlike the police here.
That’s just my take of one example of how many of these groups operate now. Organised, all in at the same time, two faced beforehand when they mixing with others in the city, don’t expect to get lifted, and willing to skelp anyone that moves. And given preferential treatment by the law.
If some of them got locked up for a week here it might put them off a bit next time.
We are going to see more of this. Thankfully the Bears abroad stick together well but the night before a game in small numbers in a city can be riskier now than it used to be years back.

Both West ham and Fiorentina have only been allocated 4,890 tickets each for the final at the Eden Arena in Prague.

The stadium has a capacity of 20,000 seats.

• Wow
Reactions: WBD
Some perspective on this

Their was Issues at the home leg with AZ families getting a ruff time (NOT to this extent)

Their was a Dutch Football correspondent on Talksport around midday before the game saying that AZ had expected a reprisal and security was in place

As awful as it was it wasn’t a random attack it was an organised attack after what happened at the home leg

That is disgusting by the AZ security team as if a Journo knew they’d be likely trouble surley to god the dutch oldbill and Security officers would

The biggest failure is on AZ for not surrounding the family area to protect them and not keeping an aye on these Ultra Holigans within the confines of their own stadium

Good on all the West Ham lads, players and anyone else who was involved in defending themselves

But the biggest failure is not acting on the intelligence that was their that this would happen

Some perspective on this

Their was Issues at the home leg with AZ families getting a ruff time (NOT to this extent)

Their was a Dutch Football correspondent on Talksport around midday before the game saying that AZ had expected a reprisal and security was in place

As awful as it was it wasn’t a random attack it was an organised attack after what happened at the home leg

That is disgusting by the AZ security team as if a Journo knew they’d be likely trouble surley to god the dutch oldbill and Security officers would

The biggest failure is on AZ for not surrounding the family area to protect them and not keeping an aye on these Ultra Holigans within the confines of their own stadium

Good on all the West Ham lads, players and anyone else who was involved in defending themselves

But the biggest failure is not acting on the intelligence that was their that this would happen
Haven’t really followed it but I read this last week:

I'm as far from a fighter/casual as you'll get but following us home and away from the late 70's tho old boys were a totally different breed. I always chuckle at all this 'Ultras' crap as they just come across as wee boys playing big boys games. The Battle of Oswalds sums it all up for me, don't think any of these pubescent street dancers have ever stood toe to toe with anyone

I'm as far from a fighter/casual as you'll get but following us home and away from the late 70's tho old boys were a totally different breed. I always chuckle at all this 'Ultras' crap as they just come across as wee boys playing big boys games. The Battle of Oswalds sums it all up for me, don't think any of these pubescent street dancers have ever stood toe to toe with anyone
Depends where you look, it’s the same with the term casual or hooligan really - you see all kinds of lads at football who couldn’t fight sleep decked out in all the gear. Difference is the term ultra doesn’t always mean someone after a fight. It’ll always confuse folk in Britain and have the piss taken out of it really.

Anyone who really does think all “Ultras” are after a rumble is absolutely miles off the reality, all kinds of lads and in some cases lasses make up Ultra groups. I can see why people think it though, it’s mainly down to poor reporting by the media, the same media who led many in Britain to think every ticket in the Bundesliga is 15 euros.

Depends where you look, it’s the same with the term casual or hooligan really - you see all kinds of lads at football who couldn’t fight sleep decked out in all the gear. Difference is the term ultra doesn’t always mean someone after a fight. It’ll always confuse folk in Britain and have the piss taken out of it really.

Anyone who really does think all “Ultras” are after a rumble is absolutely miles off the reality. I can see why people think it though, it’s mainly down to poor reporting by the media, the same media who led many in Britain to think every ticket in the Bundesliga is 15 euros.
I get that, it's a scene but they put themselves forward as some sort of crew and they're far from it. It terracing bravado but they run as soon as any bother starts.

I get that, it's a scene but they put themselves forward as some sort of crew and they're far from it. It terracing bravado but they run as soon as any bother starts.
Can understand some do yeah, not all though. That’s the same with young casuals and hooligans in Britain isn’t it. Wearing balaclavas and all this will never help the cause! Personally I can’t believe how daft some are with the number of cameras about, especially in stadiums and pubs etc. I’m scared to stick two fingers up these days in case I get a pull a few week later!

Personally I see the proper fighting wing of these Ultra Groups to be the ones who meet in these forests etc, they reckon they have league tables for that carry on. You do have some petty crazy stuff going on in some places mind, that in Copenhagen on a metro platform other week looked crazy. I’m always surprised it doesn’t come out of loads of jail sentences being passed out in certain nations like Denmark, Sweden and Germany - I’d expect it over here for what you see over there.

I admire certain Ultras for the choreos, atmospheres they generate, way they go against kick off times and ticket prices. I prefer the term Fanscene really. Ultras just means fighters or gangsters to many people in Britain.

Last edited:
2 Brits leathering a full squad of Dutch "Ultras".

That sort of attitude and determination won us 2 world wars and conquered the world.

The Dutch ultras are very reminiscent of the Green Brigade/Boys. 1-2 actually trying to fight with the rest of them screeching and dancing about and taking liberties.
It was the same at the 88 European championship in Dusseldorf, 1000s of Dutch hooligans were supposed to be travelling over the border to batter the English...they were chased .

Well done big fella....no time for these pavement dancing fannies dressed in black who claim they only ever attack other firms.....

Ridiculous. Az fans are a shower of posturing wee guys clearly. Could do without drawing them anytime soon cos if west ham come up and leather them wouldnt reflect well on us.

We did as walked to train station but plenty of our fans sticking together
Remember at half time few bronby fans trying to get reaction by goarding us at fence between two sets of fans
As far as the throwing abuse between fences separating fans,pretty standard at most away games in Scotland and abroad

You said 'regardless of their reasons' footballers can't do what they did. I'm saying that for footballers, like anyone else, seeing their family under threat is every reason they need to do exactly what they did. We'll see what happens with UEFA, but given what happened doesn't reflect well on them at all, I'll be surprised if the West Ham players are punished. Fully expect Alkmaar to carry the can.

Ultra's nowadays mean dress in black, hide your face and act hard.
That old boy was old school, didn't need to be called an Ultra because he knew he could fight, whereas Ultra's just intimidate.

Back