What’s your thoughts on the split

Not sure how I can elaborate on that :confused:
It was a bit criptic or mimalist - or something like that - no offence meant

I just couldn't help thinking that Scottish football existed for how many ? years before they decreased the number of teams in the divisions ?
Then even after they limited that number they played for how long ? before introducing a split ?
Meanwhile how many leagues in the world operate a split ?

Seems to me these are very viable alternatives - before we try to out-think the over complicated, unnecessary current system

I'm unconvinced of any real benefits from the split - but that could be because - just like wee dick - I don't understand it - or the need for it

Last edited:
i pay to watch teams get pumped at Ibrox twice not three times in their own midden, always lose out with this split and teams like dundee could miss out on us playing them twice at home when they need cash, other teams i hope go bust.

get rid of the split and back to home and away every other Saturday and playing every team in the league before we play the first team over again, this playing sheep or hivs twice before playing motherwell or dundee once is also wrong.

It was a bit criptic or mimalist - or something like that - no offence meant

I just couldn't help thinking that Scottish football existed for how many ? years before they decreased the number of teams in the divisions ?
Then even after they limited that number they played for how long ? before introducing a split ?
Meanwhile how many leagues in the world operate a split ?

Seems to me these are very viable alternatives - before we try to out-think the over complicated, unnecessary current system

I'm unconvinced of any real benefits from the split - but that could be because - just like wee dick - I don't understand it - or the need for it
Yes years ago we got by with an old set up of playing loads of teams twice a season. However we need to deal with the reality of here and now.

That reality dictates that the TV companies will demand 4 OF games a season. People who won't acknowledge that as a fact are just sticking their heads in the sand. Years ago we got by with an old system because clubs were not dependant on TV money. We get little enough as it is.

Imagine going to the TV companies and saying we're dropping 2 OF games, 2 Edinburgh derby's, 2 matches between us v sheep and hibs and them v sheep and Hibs and replacing them with a lot of dross but trying to ask for a similar amount.

I certainly wouldn't fancy dropping all they games and replacing them with playing 4, 6 or 8 more diddie teams. We'd have long stretches of the season possibly 2 months at a time without a relatively big match.

No one seems to offer a viable alternative taking into account the reality of the TV situation.

Yes years ago we got by with an old set up of playing loads of teams twice a season. However we need to deal with the reality of here and now.

That reality dictates that the TV companies will demand 4 OF games a season. People who won't acknowledge that as a fact are just sticking their heads in the sand. Years ago we got by with an old system because clubs were not dependant on TV money. We get little enough as it is.

Imagine going to the TV companies and saying we're dropping 2 OF games, 2 Edinburgh derby's, 2 matches between us v sheep and hibs and them v sheep and Hibs and replacing them with a lot of dross but trying to ask for a similar amount.

I certainly wouldn't fancy dropping all they games and replacing them with playing 4, 6 or 8 more diddie teams. We'd have long stretches of the season possibly 2 months at a time without a relatively big match.

No one seems to offer a viable alternative taking into account the reality of the TV situation.
I fully accept that T.V. revenue is our sugar daddy
But fail to see how the split jeopardizes T.V. revenue ?

I think you'll find that when we've both been in the same league, Rangers have had far more *three away games to one home* than the filth, so I didn't miss your point, I believe the facts will suggest you're wrong.
You are still massively missing my point mate.

I am talking about number of home and away matches post split. Nothing to do with playing 3 away games against a particular team.

I fully accept that T.V. revenue is our sugar daddy
But fail to see how the split jeopardizes T.V. revenue ?
The split doesn't jeopardise it, the split retains it. As I said in my post what will jeopardise tv money is getting rid of the split in favour of take your pick between whatever folk shout about 16, 18 or 20 teams playing each other twice.

The split doesn't jeopardise it, the split retains it. As I said in my post what will jeopardise tv money is getting rid of the split in favour of take your pick between whatever folk shout about 16, 18 or 20 teams playing each other twice.

Apologies mate -
What I should have said is -
The split - or lack of it - should not affect T.V. dosh
I simply can't see what the split actually achieves- apart from confuse - & create inequality

This claim that it provides more competition between those that are fighting relegation - or qualification for Europe is beyond my comprehension -

The vast majority of leagues throughout the world achieve the same results by playing each opposing team the same number of times - home & away - whatever the size or the number of teams in the division

In Scotland we introduce a ridiculous complication that most people don't understand & doesn't actually work fairly - with an uneven number of home or away matches chosen at random at best
What is there to like ??

I take the point - we should be suggesting alternatives instead of simply slagging it off-
But if alternatives aren't blatantly obvious - then - please let me say - ditch the abomination now & revert to a league set-up without it

Surely that's something even our excuse for a governing authority could do - although I won't be holding my breath

I get its not fully popular, but I really like the split. Sets our league apart from every other league in the world, and the games get spicy.

I get its not fully popular, but I really like the split. Sets our league apart from every other league in the world, and the games get spicy.

Each to their own & I'm genuinely glad you enjoy the split - I wish I could get enthusiastic about it

I agree that the split sets our league apart from others in the rest of the world - but my take on it is that it makes us weirdos -- sets us apart - but in stupidity - makes us into a toy football league in a parallel universe in the twilight zone
It's not done elsewhere because why would you ? What's the point ? & what have you actually achieved ?

Have you achieved spicier matches than you get in the EPL end of season for example ? Are the last day relegation battles - or Euro qualification levellers - seen at every season's climax in the EPL - really going to be improved if they split the EPL ?
If this was even suggested in England - you'd be sectioned

What's different / lacking / broken with our league that needs a split to make it spicier ?

Each to their own & I'm genuinely glad you enjoy the split - I wish I could get enthusiastic about it

I agree that the split sets our league apart from others in the rest of the world - but my take on it is that it makes us weirdos -- sets us apart - but in stupidity - makes us into a toy football league in a parallel universe in the twilight zone
It's not done elsewhere because why would you ? What's the point ? & what have you actually achieved ?

Have you achieved spicier matches than you get in the EPL end of season for example ? Are the last day relegation battles - or Euro qualification levellers - seen at every season's climax in the EPL - really going to be improved if they split the EPL ?
If this was even suggested in England - you'd be sectioned

What's different / lacking / broken with our league that needs a split to make it spicier ?

Again I get your point, but for me, we need to get an edge. The standard and cash available in our league means we need to do something different.

For example, getting to the last weeks of the EPL season always has some top vs bottom clash, where you rarely see an upset. The weird end of season 6 pointers here are well entertaining.

We would all love a 20 team affluent top league, but that's never going to happen. We're stuck playing some teams 4 times a year, for little cash.

Why would an 18 team league create more 3pm Saturday games?
Not the point I was making mate, I'm sorry but still old fashioned and think football should be Saturday games3pm ,will never happen,my point was at the split not one game was at 3pm ,I'd prefer us that is this country to have a competitive league of18/20teams and get rid of the useless format as it is,sorry for the misunderstanding

Not the point I was making mate, I'm sorry but still old fashioned and think football should be Saturday games3pm ,will never happen,my point was at the split not one game was at 3pm ,I'd prefer us that is this country to have a competitive league of18/20teams and get rid of the useless format as it is,sorry for the misunderstanding
See mate I just can't get my head around why dropping 2 games against mentally challengeds, sheep, hearts and hibs and replacing them with matches against dross makes for more excitement.

Apologies mate -
What I should have said is -
The split - or lack of it - should not affect T.V. dosh
I simply can't see what the split actually achieves- apart from confuse - & create inequality

This claim that it provides more competition between those that are fighting relegation - or qualification for Europe is beyond my comprehension -

The vast majority of leagues throughout the world achieve the same results by playing each opposing team the same number of times - home & away - whatever the size or the number of teams in the division

In Scotland we introduce a ridiculous complication that most people don't understand & doesn't actually work fairly - with an uneven number of home or away matches chosen at random at best
What is there to like ??

I take the point - we should be suggesting alternatives instead of simply slagging it off-
But if alternatives aren't blatantly obvious - then - please let me say - ditch the abomination now & revert to a league set-up without it

Surely that's something even our excuse for a governing authority could do - although I won't be holding my breath
I don't take the point that people don't understand it mate I can't see what they wouldn't understand.

Personally I'm not a passionate supporter by any means of it but just can't get my head around how dropping games which we look forward to and replacing them with matches against the likes of Ross County, Ayr Utd and Queen of the South is appealing to anyone at all.
It's been suggested in this thread and I've said it before but to factor in all of the criteria we have to consider then a 14 team league with a 6/8 split seems the most viable.

The sooner we hit the split the better. If we were to go i to it level on points with the filth i would be confident we could go on and win the league.

I don't take the point that people don't understand it mate I can't see what they wouldn't understand.

Personally I'm not a passionate supporter by any means of it but just can't get my head around how dropping games which we look forward to and replacing them with matches against the likes of Ross County, Ayr Utd and Queen of the South is appealing to anyone at all.
It's been suggested in this thread and I've said it before but to factor in all of the criteria we have to consider then a 14 team league with a 6/8 split seems the most viable.
That's your view and your welcome to it,but playing teams four times a season to me is a joke!my view

Why?How many games do we need to separate the rags from the woolies? Only 2 teams keep scotshit football alive.Maybe less games,less income from us and them might make other teams think about the future.
Less income for us also

That's your view and your welcome to it,but playing teams four times a season to me is a joke!my view
You'd rather ditch 8 matches a season against teams that we consider to be exciting for matches against dross currently in the championship and you're entitled to that :p

What was proposed a few years back would fo me.
Two leagues of 12, play each other twice, split to 3 leagues of 8, play each other twice.
Top league decides champion, middle reset points to 7.6 5.4 3 2.1.0 at split depending on league position, top 3 plus highest finisher from bottom league (and division 2 champion) promoted to top 12 and bottom 4 start in bottom12, lowest league decides relegation to championship

A load of shite in all honesty, but if we come out in the 2nd half of the season with all guns blazing, it will have been worth it.

It's absurd to have a League season whereby teams have different schedules. As posted previously... 14 teams playing each other twice - top 6 then play each other twice, likewise the remaining 8.

Yes, 8 teams lose out on playing us again but the additional games may compensate.

Bored on a Friday nightshift.

Thought I would ask before we get close to it and fixtures come out.

I prefer it as you’re playing against teams that can beat each other top 6 and bottom 6.

Since it came in we’ve had Europe-league and relegation places decided on the last day a few times.

I know some teams get a extra home game.

What’s your thoughts on it?
Bit of a farce ... always wondered and kinda hoped one day would happen if the team sitting 7th going into the split managed to win there post split games and had enough points to qualify for Europe , but can’t take over the teams ahead so finished 7th and missed out on the European spot lol imagine the uproar ! Would show the SFA for the joke they are.

You'd rather ditch 8 matches a season against teams that we consider to be exciting for matches against dross currently in the championship and you're entitled to that :p
I'd rather ditch any games to get a bigger league and back to playing each team twice a season, you seem like sky bt etc who want old firm games 4times a season?so bring back the Glasgow cup or Glasgow charity cup(shield,)
and let rangers play that lot, it would still be sell out!law of averages we would meet them in league cup or Scottish cup,twice in the league,there's your 4games happy,?half the dross in the championship have been in the premier league,as have hearts hibs and us if you have forgotten,usual head in the sand,split my arse if you pardon the pun!hee hee

Bit of a farce ... always wondered and kinda hoped one day would happen if the team sitting 7th going into the split managed to win there post split games and had enough points to qualify for Europe , but can’t take over the teams ahead so finished 7th and missed out on the European spot lol imagine the uproar ! Would show the SFA for the joke they are.

They'd have been playing their remaining post split games against diddy teams whilst the team in 6th would have been playing sides competing for Europe and the title.

There would be no uproar outside folk pretending not to understand why they ended up with more points than the team in 6th or 5th etc.

If the split did actually create 'extra' competition / extend excitement at the end of the season / increase entertainment / make a significant difference to the outcome - while all the time keeping things fair & of course maintaining sporting integrity - then why don't other leagues do it ??

What other countries have it ?

What model did we copy ? Or did we just invent it ?

Bored on a Friday nightshift.

Thought I would ask before we get close to it and fixtures come out.

I prefer it as you’re playing against teams that can beat each other top 6 and bottom 6.

Since it came in we’ve had Europe-league and relegation places decided on the last day a few times.

I know some teams get a extra home game.

What’s your thoughts on it?
After today's cup draw away to Kilmarnock as in the cup earlier in the season it's a dead cert we will be there after the split

After today's cup draw away to Kilmarnock as in the cup earlier in the season it's a dead cert we will be there after the split

Our post split fixtures could be reasonably "fair" and turn out ok for us.

We could have

Home : Bheasts, Sheep, Killie

Away : Hertz, Saints.

Which would give us 2 home and 2 away against the rest of the top 6.

Scum's games are more problematic.

Def have to come to us and go to the sheep again

but already been to Hertz, Killie, Saints 3 times..

I'd happily swap to an 18 team league with 34 games per season.
That's one thing I can never understand. If we're going to do away with matches against the mentally challengeds, sheep, hearts and hibs in favour of more against complete dross why stop at adding 6 more? As well as dropping income from TV teams should lose 2 home matches as well? What's the thinking here? If we're going to add 6 more smaller teams to the league why not just 8?
(This isn't necessary just towards yourself TPB90 but I see posters all the time saying either 16 or 18)

It has made for some exciting title races but the fact that teams can play 18 or 20 games at home and play the same team at home or away 3 times is frankly ridiculous.

We could have

Not it won't as it 3 Ibrox/1 Kilmarnock

We will heading tio Kilmarnock post split and I don't have problem with that since that is way it meant to be

The split was introduced as we couldn't play 44 game season when they up the SPL to 12 team again back in 2000

Split after 22 games since that only another 10 games but there would be financial side to having 3 less games for clubs

Having an 18 team might mean a quite meaniless games

We could have

You are mistakenly thinking we have already played Kilmarnock in the league at Rugby Park.
Wednesday's game is our first trip there in the league this season.

We are due to play them AWAY post split.

You are mistakenly thinking we have already played Kilmarnock in the league at Rugby Park.
Wednesday's game is our first trip there in the league this season.

We are due to play them AWAY post split.

Ah yes it was the cup in August.

So we could be going there 4 times this season and 3 times in 3 months :(

However we should end up playing the top half teams the right number of times at the right venues.

Last edited:
Ah yes it was the cup in August.

So we could be going there 4 times this season and 3 times in 3 months :(

However we should end up playing the top half teams the right number of times at the right venues.
If it splits as it currently stands we would probably end up with a third home game against St Johnstone.

Back