What a season tavs having

I like tav probably one of the fittest guy in the team and is a great footballer and has defo improved defensively but there is still room for improvement.
This for me, he is nowhere near being the complete FB but has improved on last season and feel he has it in him to further improve. His effort and fitness are excellent and his crossing has led to a fair few goals so far.

He scored one against Kilmarnock at the start of last season that's the only one I can think of.

Tav is good going forward and has had a few cracking assists this season.

He is still poor defensively though and will continue to cost us goals.

It's a case of how many defensive mistakes are you willing to accept before they cancel out his attacking threat.

Although some of his crosses have been pinpoint so far this season, for Pena's 2 goals? I think. Hearts just there on Saturday.

Killie away

I think I can remember it :D

Weird. Have a look in the match thread each week and it's pitchforks out and post after post asking to have him axed or punted.

His consistency is where he is let down, I just wish he would get played in one position and stay there. From the first season he was here he never looked like a right back yet always gets put there and then told to play out of position. We need to buy a proper right back and allow Tav to play a sweeper type role where he seems most comfortable.

He does only get played in one position he plays right back every week. I can't recall him playing any other position .

He is a Shit defender who every teaminscotlan

He is shit at defending eve

Every manager in Scotland knows how bad a dengender he is and set their teàms up accordingly knowing he has cost us countless goals by not covering his back post he is quite simply our biggest liability.

Early start on the drink, squire?

He does only get played in one position he plays right back every week. I can't recall him playing any other position .

He played centre midfield a couple of times last season under Warburton with Hodson right back. Hearts & Aberdeen at home I believe, although I think one of those central midfield displays was off the bench midway through the 2nd half.

He's not good enough for us, he's one of these players who will do 1 great thing followed by 10 mistakes

Absolute bull!! I honestly wonder what people are expecting from a right back. He can defend and has defended admirably this year. His forward play has been exceptional so far. It wasn't just tav that was sleeping when killie went up the park and scored.

He has been an outstanding buy for the outlay. We will easily recoup ten times what we paid for him and he's contributed without a doubt to the team.

Good player going forward & always a threat , but poor defensively. He had a couple of stinkers recently at hampden & the 1-1 Kilmarnock game.
I thought he was also suspect up at Dingwall recently & I've no idea what he was doing at Ross County's goal that day.
He actually ran in the opposite direction from the guy who scored when he was right next to him at one point. Bizarre defending.....

Tav is great going forward, not excellent defensively which we know. A lot of people think he has improved defensively....hes hasn't. Candeias makes him look better defensively.

I'm not knocking Tav at all, leave him out a game and play Hodson and you will see just how good he is, but Candeias does make him look even better.

His cross on Saturday for Miller's second was inch perfect. You couldn't ask for a better ball than that

Coupled with his 2 excellent crosses in Perth which Pena scored from both times. When he's on it Tav is a real asset.

Tav really should be in midfield, his assists prove just how effective he is going forward, but he is a liability at the back, the amount of goals we have conceded in the gap between right back and the right hand side of central defence (Cardoso takes half the blame for that as well) is unreal.

I don't remember the last time we had a guy that could drop a ball exactly where you want it. Wee McCann maybe. Tav has some range of crossing on him.

Tav is a solid player and getting better defensively as well. Only thing he needs to work on big time is when the ball comes from our left side, he is often too far off his man at the back post. Killie was a good example of this.

Weird. Have a look in the match thread each week and it's pitchforks out and post after post asking to have him axed or punted.

His consistency is where he is let down, I just wish he would get played in one position and stay there. From the first season he was here he never looked like a right back yet always gets put there and then told to play out of position. We need to buy a proper right back and allow Tav to play a sweeper type role where he seems most comfortable.

Wait...

You can't be serious?

I love Tav.

Great going forward but still liable to be ball watching and cost us a goal. Maybe the new manager can remedy this part of his game that lets him down.

He was shite against Kilmarnock but some of the abuse he took on here was laughable. You’d think this board was polluted with poets at times.

He has had a good season so far. Like to see him shooting more though.

One of our best players, by far.

When he in unavailable it really does show, we miss him massively. Thankfully that isn't too often.

Massively underrated by our support and is a bit of a whipping boy at times due to the back post problem.

WTF?

No doubt that going forward he has been great this season, after all he has the most assists in the league. However think about how many goals we lose at the back post on the right hand side, and Tav is always standing looking like a lost child when it goes in.... if he could improve that side of his game, he’d be one of the best defenders in the league.

Doing ok so far this season.
I like Tav but he is better going forward than defending which is what he needs to improve on.

Tav gets way too much stick. He's actually reasonably solid defensively and his only real weakness is when he's tracking back or marking with the ball on the other side of the pitch. He's good 1v1, his tackling is good, he blocks a lot of crosses. Put all that together with the fact he's outstanding going forward and he's a pretty good all-round RB.
(/QUOTE]

So by your own admission he is crap at two of the most important things you need to be a right back, and he is also suspect in the air, but somehow this translates to him being a decent right back...ok! Tav might be the nicest guy at Ibrox, he may have been bitten by the love Rangers bug, he is wonderful going forward, and he shows signs of improving each season, but come on, he is a terrible defender who as others have pointed out looks better because he is surrounded by players who cover up for him... Jack, Candeias especially, and Cardoso...much better than previous seasons. It's hard not to like Tav as a Rangers player, but he won't be in the Rangers team that wins 55, I am certain of that.

You obviously weren't at the Kilmarnock game op. Probably the worst game I've seen him play for us.

I do like him though as he never hides and one thing you could give Pedro credit for was the Candeias signing which has made us a lot more solid on the right hand side.

So by your own admission he is crap at two of the most important things you need to be a right back, and he is also suspect in the air, but somehow this translates to him being a decent right back...ok! Tav might be the nicest guy at Ibrox, he may have been bitten by the love Rangers bug, he is wonderful going forward, and he shows signs of improving each season, but come on, he is a terrible defender who as others have pointed out looks better because he is surrounded by players who cover up for him... Jack, Candeias especially, and Cardoso...much better than previous seasons. It's hard not to like Tav as a Rangers player, but he won't be in the Rangers team that wins 55, I am certain of that.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough - when the ball is on our left flank, his marking and tracking back could improve, but it's worth noting that if the cross had been blocked from the left anyway, there would be no issue and that has been the far greater problem we've had. When the ball is on the right flank, Tav makes a lot of tackles, marks well, is good 1v1 and blocks a lot of crosses from coming in. He's comfortably the best right back in Scotland.

I think he’s outstanding going forward and the balls he crosses in are perfect but he’s no defender. As for the stats, they can be misleading . Whether he plays for them or not tierney is a far better player than him, first and foremost he’s a better defender which is his job.

Tav is quality. Go and watch a YouTube compilation of him then Teirney and you’ll be in no doubt who the far, far, far better player is.
If you think tavernier is a better player than tierney then your off your rocker.tavs pish & should be replaced.

If you think tavernier is a better player than tierney then your off your rocker.tavs pish & should be replaced.

Absolutely. 100% better. There's no doubt in my mind - and my rocker is, largely, perfectly fine.

Why the need to resort to such vulgar language when referring to Rangers players? Horrible to see.

He's a great attacking option.
However, he can't mark his man, he can't defend his area and has leaked goals for us.
I hope we can find a slot for him because is a very good attacking option.
Alex Cleland was 10x better 'defender' than Tav.

What is the point in stats on assists ?
Another player has to SCORE for the other player to get an assist. A big punt up the pitch can be statistically an assist yet we want to see cultured football.
Whereas anti-stats should be awarded for not defending and letting guys ghost in behind you when you should be defending that area of the pitch since you are by definition a defender.
I am a Tav critic and want to see the stats on failed delivery into the box compared to actual successful delivered crosses/passes.

On his day he can be great going forward and some of his crosses like the ones for Pena and Miller were excellent.

However defensively he is still not too good and we will consistently lose goals due to his poor positioning etc.

Bit harsh to to compare him with the best British born full back in the last ......well ever, now i`m no expert but if sutton says so, well , who could argue with the Lincoln city legendary coach, who is indeed a giant among imps!

We still lose too many goals at his back post....as per Killie equaliser!

The alternative way of looking at it is we let too many crosses in from the left side. One of the reasons we don't have the same problem so frequently on the other side is that Tav blocks almost 60% of crosses coming in (best in the league).

Occasionally isnt wasteful of possession and can hit a good cross in every 1 in 10. He really really likes to get forward. That’s his good points. However he’s too willing to risk the ball going for glory for himself and at the expense of the team. For the position he plays he leaves the RB position exposed far too often expecting Candieas to cover for him. Candieas does what Tav does further up the park, and does it better. Tav gets in C’s way as they seem to be playing the same position. Can hardly count the amount of times the space at RB has been exploited in the counter attack. Tav is very poor at cutting out crosses and seems to be unable to anticipate danger. When he actually gets back to a position where he is able to defend, he always cuts in to stand too near the centre backs and leaves the winger totally free on the touch line - who then becomes a passing option for the opposition. If he’d step 5 yards wider he’d have cut off the option and not have to then stop the cross from the winger in the first place.
My assessment is that for the amount of times he goes forward, the return is very poor, and that this is at the expense of leaving us exposed at the back. He also causes an imbalance in the side, positionally. That combined with the fact he can’t defend - which is the first thing a RB should be able to do, leads me to the conclusion he should be sold.

I think he is a good player and that's were we are at the moment. We can at times be a good team but not a great team like the past, but we are only 6 behind in the league and that amazes me given the luck we have had and the praise for some other teams. For what its worth, I like Tav

Absolutely. 100% better. There's no doubt in my mind - and my rocker is, largely, perfectly fine.

Why the need to resort to such vulgar language when referring to Rangers players? Horrible to see.
Teirney will be the next filth player to be sold if they fail to make the CL or need to pay off a soft loan quickly. He will go for many millions and it will be to a lower tier EPL club.

Tavernier, when he is eventually sold, will go to a lower Championship or League 1 club for pennies.

No matter how you dress it up with stats and how unpalatable to us it is Tierney is a far, far better player than Tavernier will ever be.

The first thing any new manager worth their salt will do, assuming they are not gimped by the board with no funds, will be to replace both full backs who are both defensive liabilities.

The first rule of being a full back is that you need to be able to defend. If you can go marauding forward and create chances and score the odd free kick then bingo, you have won a watch BUT if you cannot defend then the ability to make all the forward runs in the world are irrelevant.

Teirney will be the next filth player to be sold if they fail to make the CL or need to pay off a soft loan quickly. He will go for many millions and it will be to a lower tier EPL club.

Tavernier, when he is eventually sold, will go to a lower Championship or League 1 club for pennies.

No matter how you dress it up with stats and how unpalatable to us it is Tierney is a far, far better player than Tavernier will ever be.

The first thing any new manager worth their salt will do, assuming they are not gimped by the board with no funds, will be to replace both full backs who are both defensive liabilities.

The first rule of being a full back is that you need to be able to defend. If you can go marauding forward and create chances and score the odd free kick then bingo, you have won a watch BUT if you cannot defend then the ability to make all the forward runs in the world are irrelevant.
I think you need to go and have a look at Tav’s defensive statistics.

There’s too much boom and bust attitude towards Tav.

He’s either the best RB in Scotland or the root of all evil.

One things for sure, we will not get a better fullback for the money we paid. It would cost a lot more to bring in someone who contributes so much.

My own eyes tell me a lot more than any statistics.

The guy is simply a poor defender.

This isn’t Football Manager you know.
I’ve never played football manager in my life so your comparison joke fails on me unfortunately.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Modern full backs are expected to get forward and going forward is the best part of Tav's game. With Candieas tracking back like a mad man some of Tav's defensive duties are being taken care of.

To his detractors I would ask how much do they think it would take to buy a better player for that position.

Still not convinced he has reached the levels he showed in his first season. Defensively he is suspect. However he is our player and I need to back him.

Back