What does Gio need to do between now and the end of the season, to prove he's the man to take us forward?

What does Gio need to do between now and the end of the season, to prove he's the man?

• Scottish Cup win

Votes: 201 45.5%
  • Europa League win

Votes: 55 12.4%
  • Scottish Cup + Europa

Votes: 72 16.3%
  • League, somehow

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • Nothing can win back my confidence

Votes: 97 21.9%

• Total voters
Win every domestic game from now until the end of the season.

Anything achieved in Europe minus Morelos would be a bonus.

People are really underestimating Braga, Leipzig and Atalanta.
With Morelos we had a fighting chance of making the semis and maybe even scraping into the final. Without him the next two legs will be distinctly nip and tuck and that’s assuming that the heads don’t go down after yesterday and that the harum scarum defending doesn’t continue.

I agree. People were getting carried away with premature talk of Seville.

Atalanta got pumped at the weekend and in a cup tie with Leipzig who knows what could happen.
I'd fancy us against West Ham in a final as well
Do you watch these teams play they are full of pace well organised & have guys that can finish all over the park , we are slow , slow , slow , pass back leak goals & out with Alfie we don't have a regular goal scorer us & Braga are the weakest teams left in the competition as all the rest come from the top 5 league's.

I doubt we'll sack him. Probably can't afford to financially.

How longs his deal?

If retained hes going to have to be properly backed in transfer market or its pointless keeping him.

The vast majority of us would agree we'd rather win the EL than the league.

If he wins the Europa, yesterday's result and this league campaign will be forgiven IMO.

Highly unlikely to happen but it would be one of our best ever seasons in recent times if he won a European trophy and that's despite finishing 2nd.

It's gone now for gvb i think, I can see the wheels coming off in the next month or so
I'm not convinced by him or his tactics at time however the players tried yesterday well most of them and were gutted at the end. They just weren't very good in the final third in the 2nd half particularly.

We had so much possession but created way too little but they never chucked it which suggests they are at least playing for him.

Is it good enough? No.

Let's see what through the week brings

Nothing, he's had no money, one transfer window (January at that, the worst one). He's the replacement for Lundstram with the haters and like with Lundstram nothing he does from this point forward will be enough. We think another manager will come in, spend nothing and take us to the next level. That's the reality.

If he wins the Europa, yesterday's result and this league campaign will be forgiven IMO.

Highly unlikely to happen but it would be one of our best ever seasons in recent times if he won a European trophy and that's despite finishing 2nd.
It’s not going to happen.

If it did, it wouldn’t be “ one of the best” it would by a mile be our biggest achievement in 150 years.

Some people are really easily pleased if a Scottish cup win will make up for his disastrous league record

I’d bin him today if we could. We’ll be in a similar position in March 2023 if he’s still in charge. Need to cut losses

We won the Cup Winners Cup in a year we were third and beaten in the domestic cups earlier than this season.

Don't hear finishing behind Aberdeen mentioned much

Yesterday's performance and result have been sobering for the support.

Taking the lead so early on and still failing to win such a crucial game really is amateur.

The fact we only made 2 subs while we chased the game shows our lack of strength in depth, in part to our failed recruitment of the last few windows.

What exactly do you think Gio needs to do in the remaining 9 - 14 games of the season to give you confidence for the summer rebuild?
I love this place it does make me laugh, this team will win fcuk all this season, bridesmaids once again, win the cup, win europa league, beat Timmy at the Dome, what the fcuk are you people on.

Winning the league is beyond even the greatest of managers.

EL would be amazing but not happening

Scottish cup would mean he’s beat celtic and done something Gerrard couldn’t and won a cup, so that would do for me and I’m probably one of the furthest people from a van bronckhorst fan that you’ll find of a Rangers persuasion

Last edited:
Seen enough to know he isn’t going to win anything as our manager.

These players will shit the bed in the Scottish Cup, like they’ve done every season they’ve been here. Hard to see anyone argue against this because that’s the script we’ve all been watching domestically.

Gio isn’t a fool either, he’ll know he’s done if he doesn’t beat Celtic in the cup.

As for the EL, pie in the sky. It’s not even a realistic chance.

I don't get this " It's still Gerrard's team" nonsense.
They still should be capable of winning games,against lesser sides, where we have scored first then either lost or drawn.

I don't believe he will be moved on no matter how the season ends
But, for me to have the slightest justification for keeping his job after our domestic results it needs to be semi final of the Europa & winning the Scottish Cup.

Let's see what happens Thursday as this is a massive opportunity to get to a European semi final, not something that comes along often.
Like, Manchester, did anyone think we would be in the final at the outset of the tournament. Overall we have been excellent in Europe this season after dropping from the CL qualifiers.

Take control of the team and actually drop players
He has to play the hand he's been dealt with and I think everyone would've picked the same team,he doesn't have enough game changers in the team,which is why he's had to rely on Alfie all this time and it was obvious after yesterday why is. It goes back to the Board for not strengthening,they were always going to come back stronger and the fact we've dillies and dallied over new players has come back to bite us.

Lose the SC semi all but guarantees Celtic another treble . If he goes on to lose the league game against them and goes out to braga , there’s no way back imo

Many fans at Ibrox are already decided about him

Another aspect to the "taking us forward" routine is that I know I'd love to read that we've tied up certain ooc players to come in during the summer and improve the first team.

That at least would be looking to the future, no matter what happens this season.

Still, it would be good to see us win a Cup.
There must be a fair few Rangers fans that have never experienced that.

A Scottish Cup should be something that decorates a season rather than keeps a manager his job.

If the interview process involved keeping him on based on a SC win only that’s howling TBH.

He has to play the hand he's been dealt with and I think everyone would've picked the same team,he doesn't have enough game changers in the team,which is why he's had to rely on Alfie all this time and it was obvious after yesterday why is. It goes back to the Board for not strengthening,they were always going to come back stronger and the fact we've dillies and dallied over new players has come back to bite us.
He hasn’t dropped McGregor or Aribo despite their awful form. The persistence with McGregor has genuinely cost us a league title because of his individual errors.

At least a Scottish Cup win and make the finals of the Europa League, we don't need to win it - just get there.

Otherwise, I don't see the defensive style of management that Gio brings working going forward.

The Scottish cup is the absolute minimum. He would also need to win the remaining league games. Europe has been a success as it is so anything else is a bonus.

Scottish cup, 3 points behind in final league standings minimum and a respectable performance vs Braga then I'm fine with him.

How about winning games .
How about playing a front 3 who actually get involved.
Here’s an idea , get fuckin nasty .
It’s an absolute embarrassment that we get out fought and out ran by that mob.

Win the SC. Semis of Europa, beat them in last league OF, finish no more than 3 behind (hate saying that…)

I would want to see a different approach to how we play. I, and I suppose a great number of fans have no confidence in the team/ tactics going by the atmosphere round the stadium after the 10 minute mark. Players are slow and indecisive on the ball leading to sloppy passes which gifts possession back to the opposition, and dampens creativity in the final third. This all stems from the managements instructions.

We have good players but we aren't using them right.

The league is done. But winning the Scottish Cup and a strong finish to the league wouod be enough from the position we are in now.

Obviously if he were win the Europa Cup then that would catapult him to legendary status, but if we’re all honest, that’s far too high a target to hold him to, “to prove he is the man to take us forward”

It’s very easy to blame Gio, but this team has been leaking soft goals all season. It’s still Gerrard’s team.
Leaving on Aribo, not giving Roofe a striking partner when he is evidently not a lone 9, and leaving out Kamara when this is a game he always excels in…..

That’s not Gerard’s doing.

Some people are so desperate for him to succeed they cannot and refuse not to see what’s staring them in the face.

Firstly beat them in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup! (If not he needs to resign as the bastards will do a treble)

Semi at least in Europa (In a dream world win the fxcking hing)

But I must admit my confidence in his ability to be a successful manager for us has evaporated.

And I was one who really wanted him tbh want him to go in summer as he just doesn't have it and i I'm scared to think about the crap he'd bring into us.

Scottish Cup is a big one but realistically we need to see something that will show us what Gio's Rangers wants to be. I don't think his side has developed any real personality or character yet. It's often hard to see what we're trying to do and I think he sometimes ends up caught between trying to establish a clear independent style and trying to formulate a gameplan for the opponent we're facing.

I think that might be partly why we tend to do well in Europe under him as the team are walked through the multiple gameplans depending on what the opposition is likely to do. It falls down a little in Scotland as there's not much you can do when teams are steaming into challenges and you're fouled off the ball and the ref is waving play on.

Nothing, he deserves the chance to shape his own team and build for the future.

I hate how impatient the support have become. The guy is about four months into a job and he'd inherited a lily livered squad of underachievers. Give him some peace and let's see what he can do when he beds in his own signings.

Please spare me the January window response, the bulk of those transfers would have been in flight before he arrived. I mean a Summer reshaping the defence and goalkeeper then take it from there. If by Christmas he's made us no better then it is time to question him but we have to let the grass grow under the guys feet.

The players are not good enough and not mentally strong enough they have proven that, a complete overhaul is the only way Gio can be judged

Little he can do with this team as I see it.

If he manages to win the Scottish Cup I’ll be over the moon.

The majority of the first team are now stale unfortunately and need moved on…whether we’ll get decent money for them is another question…but I’m expecting another boot in the plums TBH.

He needs to win the Scottish Cup and avoid further embarrassment at the piggery.

I don't see him being successful in either case.

I'm unconvinced by him (and wanted him appointed initially), realistically he needs to win the cup, reach the semis of the EL, and probably put up a decent fight in the league. We need to beat them in both cup and league games, and take the title to the last day.

Back