What makes Rangers a big club?

The person answering the question is probably the brutally honest answer.

A lot of people around the world won't care much about us.

It's for too much a hang up with some the whole "big club" thing.

I couldnt care less about what the world sees us as. Rangers are my club and what happens with them has a major influence in my life ( its probably ridiculous how much they affect my mood etc but i cant turn that off) so in that sense they are the biggest club in the world to me.
Society today is such that everyone is looking for validation(facebook, twitter etc) from folk they dont know and it does my head in and its started creeping into football clubs too.

People forget that we were one of the founder members of what is now The Champions League.

Bottom line is 'We are the People'

Our fanbase is absolutely giant.

Hit a certain age in Scotland with work and immigrate passing it on. I've family in America and Canada that have never been to Ibrox but have an interest in us and so do their kids, who'll no doubt pass that onto their kids. They're forever buying something and tuning in to RTV, probably don't even watch football at the best of times.

Funny, I’ve had that same experience on at least 4 occasions. Was actually partly why I asked the question to start with.

Nice feeling when you’re abroad (Netherlands for me) and you mention Glasgow and the person says “Glasgow Rangers”.
I’ve had this experience many a time in Europe.
Frankly, and I know things are so much different from years ago in respect of what I’m going to say next, we’re more popular than the scum and in the most “unlikely” of places.
Take Rome.
Working with a number of locals over there a few years back and the preference for us was easily 75/25.
Two brothers even said that di Canio was their hero but they still wanted Rangers to win.
I asked why and even gave them the history.
They just thought, and they knew the history, Rangers had so much more appeal.
By the way, they hated the septic strip!
In London and it was a couple of Juventus fans I came across.
“We like Ran-gers much more than Celtic.
Remember del Pierro? I said.
Yes, but we had a great team then.
Then I was asked the question that typifies the septic support.
“Are they still moaning about a penalty to us when it was a dive?
“Yes” says I, “and they will be for a hundred years hence, they’re never defeated, always cheated” I continued.

The fact we have a supporters club in every civilised city in the world. Real supporters clubs, not a bunch of people buying favour of the month football shirts, which many a EPL club claim.

For me there are only four big clubs on these isles, and we are one of them.

Back