When will Davies be upto speed?

Monty_greenock34

I though yesterdays game against a team who had no real attacking mindset or threat that Davies would have started or at least got minutes in the legs.

Sands as CB isnt doing it for me, its clear he is a bit all over the place positionally and hardly makes a pass forward.

I thought Sands especially in first half could have got the ball and passed left quicker but time and time again kept turning to his right for his usual safe pass to goldson.

We need Davies upto speed so i thought it odd he never got time yesterday which almost cements sands to start on tuesday.

We all see very different things.
Sands was the best of our 4 defenders for me today.

I think he is stronger in the air than you expect for his stature and his passing out of defence is a strength.

I agree that if Davies needs minutes though it was strange not to give him more but maybe a sign that we’ll see Sands again on Tuesday

I didn't think Sands played poorly at all yesterday, particularly in terms of winning headers continuously, which surprised me given his stature. However, I do agree 100% re Davies. He's here to be our number 1 lcb, if he lacks match sharpness his minutes should be getting built up to the point where he can start a match then come off if need be. Was bizarre he got no time at all yesterday and has only had fleeting cameos. Morelos was out 5 months due to injury, played 30 minutes, and will no doubt start next weekend if not Tuesday, so why hasn't an uninjured Davies reached the same stage as Alfie if he is our first pick? Only Gio knows the answer to that, maybe a question the fan media should be asking at the next press conference.

I think he is stronger in the air than you expect for his stature and his passing out of defence is a strength.

I agree that if Davies needs minutes though it was strange not to give him more but maybe a sign that we’ll see Sands again on Tuesday
Caught out ball watching at least 3 times in first half. First time Davis is jostling with a killie player midway in their half and sands comes way out position and helps lose it and they go over the top and nearly though, second time hes over in mcinness dugout area trying to win balls that lawrence and yilmaz have covered again way out position, another hes far too busy watching the man come for a ball hes trying to guard that he loses it.

Safe pass after safe pass, many of time he could have opened body and kept the ball going to hid left but stops it, slows it down then safe pass to goldson.

Goldson wasnt much better when slowing it down but imo yesterday would have been good for Davies to try stake a claim to start on tuesday and add competition to sands.

Sands could have played yesterday with a cup of tea in his hand.

He was very comfortable both defending and in distribution. There were several occasions were both our CH’s were pressing Killie or attacking Killie inside their final third. In short, he played well!

Davies must be a bit short but my guess is that Gio didn’t want to have 2 “new” players on the left side of the defence.

I would have thought yesterday would have been the time to bring Davies in from the start. We did it with Yilmaz and Davies made an appearancein Belgium.

I always find it interesting how others interpret the game

I personally thought Sands was the best of the defenders yesterday and there is certainly a player in there. Granted Tuesday done him no favours at all.

The problem Sands will always have is he is right footed but playing LCB, so he is always having to cut back on to his right which cuts the left off a bit.

It’s the same with Souttar so once Davies comes in they are affectively playing backup to Goldson and will fill in at LCB if needed.

I personally think Sand can do a job as the 6 to be honest. He can make a tackle and is composed enough to retain the ball and distribute it

I though yesterdays game against a team who had no real attacking mindset or threat that Davies would have started or at least got minutes in the legs.

Sands as CB isnt doing it for me, its clear he is a bit all over the place positionally and hardly makes a pass forward.

I thought Sands especially in first half could have got the ball and passed left quicker but time and time again kept turning to his right for his usual safe pass to goldson.

We need Davies upto speed so i thought it odd he never got time yesterday which almost cements sands to start on tuesday.

Sands didn’t do a thing wrong yesterday.

I thought James Sands was superb yesterday

Sands didn’t do a thing wrong yesterday.
Ive explained 3 instances where he was caught out.

Though the main point being yesterday Davies imo should have started, he was brought on away in belgium. Yesterday would have been the perfect game for him.

Imo sands is too safe, and caught out of position too much.

Hope the boy makes me eat my words and plays a blinder on tuesday. We need Davies upto speed and having competition for CB alongside goldson.

Bizarre one.

Sands was fine yesterday but isn’t a centre half

We have bought a centre half for a few million but not giving him minutes to get him up to speed given we’ve a huge game coming up.

Reminds me of Ramsay at times last season. We know he needs minutes yet doesn’t get off the bench in some games or gets 5-10 minutes here and there.

Good point on Sands being unable to get the ball out left quickly enough. It's stifling our play. Teams try to prevent the ball getting to Kent but a decent left CB should manage it.

I expected Davies to start yesterday. However, I thought Sands played very well yesterday. Did well defensively and wasn’t slow to come forward with the ball into the Killie half when the opportunity arose. He’s not going to play a defence splitting pass, but then not many of our defenders will from the centre of the pitch. He will start on Tuesday again, without a doubt, and he deserves it.

Davies will get his chance and it will be up to him to take it. Probably, like Yilmaz, not fully up to speed yet and trying to avoid muscle injuries.

I thought Sands was decent, but he appeared to have an aversion to passing it out to Yilmaz.

This is where a natural left footed player is going to be better.

I also thought it a little odd that after coming on in midweek Davies didn’t start yesterday.

Been pleasantly surprised by Sands. Not sure his best position which may work against him sometimes.

But £3-4 million was spent on Davies, he'll be starting as soon as he's ready I would think.

Sands may be an option in the midfield given Jack and Kamara's struggles so far.

Reactions: cav
Davies basically had an entire preseason to do when he joined, he didn’t get any at all before he came as I think he had an injury. Would imagine he will get minutes against St Johnstone.

If he wasn’t going to be 100% for Tuesday there was no point playing him yesterday, better off using the opportunity to get the back 4 for Tuesday playing together as much as possible.

Last edited:

Yeah I reckon it was an investment in Sands’ condition and experience ahead of the Euro match too as he is the first option at this time .
Understandable

Cant mind him ever making a forward pass yesterday,takes 3-4 touches too many that slows the play down as well

Thought Sands and Goldson both did fine yesterday tbh.

Lafferty and Shaw are a decent strike force and weren't given a sniff by our central defenders.

Zero shots on targets.

Sands and Goldson will do fine. But I don't think that's a stat that necessarily says they were amazing.

Kilmarnock weren't set up to attack and rarely ever came forward and troubled us.

They were timewasting 35 mins into the game.

Sands and Goldson will do fine. But I don't think that's a stat that necessarily says they were amazing.

Kilmarnock weren't set up to attack and rarely ever came forward and troubled us.

They were timewasting 35 mins into the game.
This is why Davies should have started for me. If he did we may have had him and Sands both gunning for a start on tuesday which can only be good when you have competition for places but now effectively rules Davies out from anything more than another few minutes if any at all on tuesday.

I thought Sands did well, won a lot in the air and was trying his best to keep the ball moving sharp when he had it. A good few times he tried to fire balls hard and fast into the midfielders, what we need. Personally thought he was the best defender on the park, was supprised a lot more didn't think that also. Everyone sees the game differently I suppose

Sands who was better than Goldson yesterday?

He's not really done a pre season so he will be a few weeks behind

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Davies but I think I'm right in saying he's only 6 feet tall.

Could be a problem in this league with the hammer throwers we face.

I didn't think Sands played poorly at all yesterday, particularly in terms of winning headers continuously, which surprised me given his stature. However, I do agree 100% re Davies. He's here to be our number 1 lcb, if he lacks match sharpness his minutes should be getting built up to the point where he can start a match then come off if need be. Was bizarre he got no time at all yesterday and has only had fleeting cameos. Morelos was out 5 months due to injury, played 30 minutes, and will no doubt start next weekend if not Tuesday, so why hasn't an uninjured Davies reached the same stage as Alfie if he is our first pick? Only Gio knows the answer to that, maybe a question the fan media should be asking at the next press conference.
I think the game was too tight yesterday to take of a defender who was playing well and replacing him with someone who isn't match sharp yet

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Davies but I think I'm right in saying he's only 6 feet tall.

Could be a problem in this league with the hammer throwers we face.
6 feet 1 but doesn’t look physically that big so I worry you may be correct.

I would like Davies in there as well, not a slight against sands but I feel Davies playing will improve our game a lot. Having a left footer at lcb will make it easier to break down teams. Having sands there can limit us in that regard.

Sands hardly won a header! A midfielder at the back isn't for me!

There will be pressure for Davies to play given we've shelled out £4m for him. I dont blame people for asking questions since we've not had much communication of his current state of fitness

Cant mind him ever making a forward pass yesterday,takes 3-4 touches too many that slows the play down as well
Utter pish mate. Watch the game again without your pre determined specs on.
In the first 15 mins or so alone he played the pass forward to Tillman where he spun in behind and got Taylor booked then the great ball forward that Tillman tried to control on his chest in the box.

Goldson got MOTM. :p

LOL !!!

his passing is delayed as he always has to switch it onto his right foot.

Back