When will Davies be upto speed?

I thought Sands was decent, but he appeared to have an aversion to passing it out to Yilmaz.

This is where a natural left footed player is going to be better.

I also thought it a little odd that after coming on in midweek Davies didn’t start yesterday.
Any professional player should be able to pass to someone on his left. But I fail to see how a Left footed player would be better at this, it is easier for a right footed player to play the ball to the left.

Yep. The only players who've shown any sort of form so far are Davis Lawrence and Tillman. So all 3 should be starting tomorrow.

Yes for me. I love watching Steven Davis play. His anticipation and reading of the game. His composure, his passing most of the time is exceptional, he looks to get forward and looks for a forward pass. He is just a fantastic player, I just wish we could roll back the clock and have him as a 25 year old again.

Reactions: TN8
Yes we need a strong spine through the middle which has been weakest of recent. From McGlauchlin > Goldson > Davis > Tillman > Colak / Alfie

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

DAVIS
Lundstram

Lawrence
Tillman
Kent (if fit)

Colak

If Kent doesn't make it, then Lawrence on the left and Wright on the right.

Alfredo and Arfield to make big contributions from the bench, if needed.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

DAVIS
Lundstram

Lawrence
Tillman
Kent (if fit)

Colak

If Kent doesn't make it, then Lawrence on the left and Wright on the right.

Alfredo and Arfield to make big contributions from the bench, if needed.
Think you'll be spot on with that. Possible exception of Barisic, as he seems to have started the season in Shitebag mode after a really good preseason. However Yilmaz doesn't quite look ready yet so it's a difficult one.

Think you'll be spot on with that. Possible exception of Barisic, as he seems to have started the season in Shitebag mode after a really good preseason. However Yilmaz doesn't quite look ready yet so it's a difficult one.

I agree mate, regards Yilmaz.

It would probably be unfair to throw him into a game of this magnitude, when it was clear from Saturday that he's a bit behind fitness wise.

That's the only reason I'm not starting him.

Reactions: TN8
Yes.
Not the biggest Davis fan on here but he gave the most assured cm performance of the season on Saturday and deserves to keep his place

He would always start for me ahead of Ryan Jack.

It will be outrageous if he’s dropped after Saturday.

Looked equally as off the pace as the entire team did in Belgium.

Trying to integrate too many new players when the team is playing so poorly isn’t working, or doing any of the players any favours.

Looked equally as off the pace as the entire team did in Belgium.

Trying to integrate too many new players when the team is playing so poorly isn’t working, or doing any of the players any favours.

9 (8 started) players that featured in Belgium played last season; McLaughlin, Tavernier, Barišić, Goldson, Sands, Jack, Lundstram, Kamara and Wright.

I think there's a concern this season that our signings Tillman apart are massive physical downgrades on what we had playing in the positions before especially at the back i can see us conceding more from set plays this season however Davies and Yilmaz should make us much better in building up play down the left than we have in recent seasons

He should but I can see Gio starting Lundstram, Jack and Kamara again sadly.

Jack should be nowhere near the side and Kamara nowhere near the "number 10" role.

After his performance on Saturday he should 100% play and he now has the momentum.

I think Gio has quite a few selection dilemmas for tomorrow night, huge game for us but as we seen last season we have blown away teams at Ibrox in the EL.

Davis must start, Colak up front with Alfie ready to come on later. Hopefully Kent is fit to start but can’t see it, think he’ll be on the bench also.

Always remember Stuart Munro being called, “Dog Shite” because of him covering every blade of grass. On Saturday as well as others SD has performed the same, very low profile, just gets effectively on with the job, matures with age!

9 (8 started) players that featured in Belgium played last season; McLaughlin, Tavernier, Barišić, Goldson, Sands, Jack, Lundstram, Kamara and Wright.

Sands started 7 games for us last season, once I think at CH, his three appearances so far as CH have seen him have King, Barisic and Yilmaz all his side at left back.

We have not actually played the same keeper and back four once in our our last 8 competitive matches.

So last week we had a back four who had never played together as a unit and a front three with one competitive start between them, with a midfield three who had started something like 6 out of our 65 matches last season sandwiched in between.

If we stick with Sands at the back we'll regret it. No harm to him but he's never a Rangers centre half imo. Need another quality centre back or our defence has massively downgraded from last season. The keeper area hasn't improved, especially with re-signing McGregor, can't have the back line not only not improving but downgrading as well.

Slightly concerned we might lack the physicality and height at the back against some teams. Technically no concerns.
Tims got by just fine last season with perceived smaller guys at centre half.

They just treated the other jobbers in the league like they were just that.

I thought Sands had a great game yesterday. Goldson on the other hand was a little off. His usual passing was woeful.
And I said to my neighbour early first half Goldson was nailed on for MOTM, as everything went to him so he could do his stuff, whether he was successful or not. Also thought he didnae have his best game, nearly cost us a goal losing it on right wing near halfway line, & yet was given MOTM as I forecast. D'ye think the sponsors tell the who's their MOTM before kickoff?

AuldCynic Loyal :cool:

Bizarre one.

Sands was fine yesterday but isn’t a centre half

We have bought a centre half for a few million but not giving him minutes to get him up to speed given we’ve a huge game coming up.

Reminds me of Ramsay at times last season. We know he needs minutes yet doesn’t get off the bench in some games or gets 5-10 minutes here and there.
Spend around £4m on a left sided CB which is decent money for Rangers, you would imagine he would go straight into the team unless there is some sort of injury issue, agree with another post it snacks of the Ramsey situation from last season

It’s up to him to get the position from Sands who has given no reason for being replaced.
Sands gives me the fear at this level and my worry is that the left side of our defence is just not going to be good enough tomorrow night to prevent as conceding a goal.
The sale of Bassey so early in the window looks like it may have backfired.
We could easily have kept him for the UCL qualifiers and still got top dollar for him.

People comparing sands to bassey is a bit of a stretch
Bassey is built like a machine

£4 million???? Whit?
Mental mate, that’s his purchase fee by all accounts. Probably more for Tillman, we need a lot more from ALL our players but as we all know a big price tag at Rangers means we expect the absolute best

I think our success this season will hinge on Davies being the real deal and striking up a partnership with Goldson.

We need to hope he's like a fit and reliable Helander.

Hopefully get him in the team for St Johnstone.
Maybe Davies will strike up a partnership with Sands or Helander insteadand we can get rid of Goldson and his brain freezes.

Sorry guys but I have never been convinced avout Goldson but maybe that is beacause I am away from Scotland and don't get the chance to see him every week.However, the lad has at least one mistake in him every game I see. He isn't a George Young or a Ron McKinnon either.

I though yesterdays game against a team who had no real attacking mindset or threat that Davies would have started or at least got minutes in the legs.

Sands as CB isnt doing it for me, its clear he is a bit all over the place positionally and hardly makes a pass forward.

I thought Sands especially in first half could have got the ball and passed left quicker but time and time again kept turning to his right for his usual safe pass to goldson.

We need Davies upto speed so i thought it odd he never got time yesterday which almost cements sands to start on tuesday.
It’s obvious he thinks the euro tie is coming too quickly for him so wants game time for Sands

Maybe Davies will strike up a partnership with Sands or Helander insteadand we can get rid of Goldson and his brain freezes.

Sorry guys but I have never been convinced avout Goldson but maybe that is beacause I am away from Scotland and don't get the chance to see him every week.However, the lad has at least one mistake in him every game I see. He isn't a George Young or a Ron McKinnon either.
Goldson/ Souter are right footed and Davies/sands/helander are left footed

Back