When will Davies be upto speed?

Slightly concerned we might lack the physicality and height at the back against some teams. Technically no concerns.

Buy a defender at 4m but play a midfielder there instead

weird one
Not really.

Sands can play both positions and we don’t know what type of pre-season Davies had with Liverpool

Also maybe Gio felt uncomfortable trying to bed in Yilmaz and Davies in the same game as that’s our complete left side of defence.

We will see Davies when he is ready.

Buy a defender at 4m but play a midfielder there instead

weird one
Surely it must be fitness related as it seems unlikely that we would pay £3-4m for a much needed left sided CB & not see him as the first choice.

And...at risk of inviting an onslaught from the "he's better the longer he doesn't play" audience, Souttar or Sands at CB haven't yet convinced me they'll be better in the position this season than Balogun...

Surely it must be fitness related as it seems unlikely that we would pay £3-4m for a much needed left sided CB & not see him as the first choice.

And...at risk of inviting an onslaught from the "he's better the longer he doesn't play" audience, Souttar or Sands at CB haven't yet convinced me they'll be better in the position this season than Balogun...
This is whats puzzling for me. He came on away in belgium. Id have thought a game at Ibrox vs a team who dont want to come out their own half would have been perfect to get him a start and at least 60mins.

Only way im thinking is Gio thinks even with 60mins underbelt against killie still wouldnt be enough to start this tuesday.

Brahim Hemdani.
Hemdani was a good passer of the ball but was hardly used as a regular at CH.

Sands to me plays it too safe and isn't a player that imposes himself in a game. Certainly doesn't have the natural positional sense that a top CH would.

Hemdani was a good passer of the ball but was hardly used as a regular at CH.

Sands to me plays it too safe and isn't a player that imposes himself in a game. Certainly doesn't have the natural positional sense that a top CH would.
I remember reading the same nonsense with Bassey and he turned out ok
I will trust Gio on this

Hopefully Davies can get up to speed soon, we need him.

I just don't get the love-in with Sands TBH. In fact, I'd go as far to say that he's bang average and offers nothing better to the team than what we already had in the squad.

Was he injured pre season? Seems strange someone fit and done a pre season with Liverpool would be so off the pace

Brahim Hemdani.
Hemdani was rotten at centre half. He played about 7 games there under Le Guen, including a league cup defeat at home to St Johnstone who were division 1.

The minute Walter came back, he signed weir and Ehiogu and Hemdani never played there again

Must have watched different game thought most Sands passing was quick and accurate. Certainly need his pace at the back.

I always find it interesting how others interpret the game

I personally thought Sands was the best of the defenders yesterday and there is certainly a player in there. Granted Tuesday done him no favours at all.

The problem Sands will always have is he is right footed but playing LCB, so he is always having to cut back on to his right which cuts the left off a bit.

It’s the same with Souttar so once Davies comes in they are affectively playing backup to Goldson and will fill in at LCB if needed.

I personally think Sand can do a job as the 6 to be honest. He can make a tackle and is composed enough to retain the ball and distribute it
Agree with this. Sands is a very good player with a better range of passing than Goldson. Do think he will settle in as a defensive midfielder.

Amazes me how people watch a game and use it to reinforce what they thought before the game rather than what happens before their eyes.

Also the tempo is set by the movement in midfield. We are way short of where we were last season with effort and application in midfield.

Defenders can only pass forward if there is a pass on. Kilmarnock were well drilled and had their plan. Far too many times there was no pass on in midfield. That is the fault of the midfield not the defence.

We all see very different things.
Sands was the best of our 4 defenders for me today.

I think he is stronger in the air than you expect for his stature and his passing out of defence is a strength.

I agree that if Davies needs minutes though it was strange not to give him more but maybe a sign that we’ll see Sands again on Tuesday
Also felt Sands was fine Saturday. He had a nightmare as did most against USG last week.

If we are persisting with umpteen DM’s in the side then we move on Jack and get Sands in there. He’s the better of the two longer term

The OP wish to see Davies play means he also saw Sands have a poor game it fits what he wants. Sands played well passed the ball well and generally wasn’t in any trouble.
Davies will come in when he is ready , may well be Tuesday or next Saturday but bringing him in before he is ready is a recipe for posters like the OP to say” he isn’t good enough “, “ why did we waste money on him”.

Yes. If we revert to type which I fear we will with Kamara advanced and a plodding Jack unable to match up fitness wise and leaving Lundstram to cover him again and again, then it’s a long night.

Davis must start

Jack and Kamara have been poor and Davis was excellent at the weekend. Easy decision

Yes. If we revert to type which I fear we will with Kamara advanced and a plodding Jack unable to match up fitness wise and leaving Lundstram to cover him again and again, then it’s a long night.

Davis must start
Agreed, Davis and Lundstrum with Lawrence more advanced.

Davis must start
Would you be against Davis and Lundstram, with Kamara ahead of those two further up?

Sands and Goldson will do fine. But I don't think that's a stat that necessarily says they were amazing.

Kilmarnock weren't set up to attack and rarely ever came forward and troubled us.

They were timewasting 35 mins into the game.

What are you supposed to base it on then?

He was playing as a defender and Kilmarnock didn't get a sniff. Didn't make any daft mistakes and was pretty good at playing the ball out. I certainly didn't see him "all over the place" as the OP states.

I think the team needs to settle down and get into a rythm a bit more.
We are trying to integrate a fair number of new players into the team and it's understandibly taking time.
If Sands can offer a bit of continuity while Yilmaz settles then Davies can can wait his turn, which will come, until that happens.
It will be into September before this squad settles and starts to properly fire which isn't ideal but is a reality considering the number of new players.

If Kent and Matondo are both fit to start, I would play Davis, Lundstram and Tillman, with the latter the advanced midfielder, playing between the lines.

Teddy Teuma — a Maltese bloke who has spent most of his career playing non-league football in France — ran over our midfield at points. It was genuinely painful to watch at times.

Something has to change from last week. If that's Davis coming in then so be it.

It's disappointing to see Kamara play so poorly given he looked properly on it during pre-season.

Back