Who is good enough and who isn’t...?

Worthy_Candidate

If we are serious about winning the league?

Good enough, I’d sayMcGregor, Tavernier, Barisic, Goldson, Arfield, Morelos.

Not good enough, I’d say Halliday, Worzel, Jack, Coulibaly, Ejaria, Rossiter, Lafferty, Candeias, Grezda, McAuley, Middleton.

We have more players who are below the standard required than we have who could do this job. We are more than 5 first picks away from being a serious outfit.

To win the league?

Greegs
Tav
Borna
Goldson
Katic
Jack
Morelos
Kent
McCauley
Candleias
Arfield

The rest? Nope. Sorry. We need better.

Really disappointed with Grezda and Laffery.

I do wonder though if the rotation isn't helping.

I'm certainly not writing off Barisic but I'd be interested to hear why he makes the good enough list given he's been poor for us in his limited appearances so far.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He was on fire when he first arrived to such an extent he got a call up to the national team. I wouldn't get rid of him just yet.

Good enough:

Morelos
Greegs
Goldson
Katic
Barisic
Tavernier
Arfield
Kent

Not good enough:

Worral
Flanagan
Jack
Coulibaly
Ejaria
Lafferty

Don’t knows/not seen enough:

Candeias
Rossiter
McCrorie
McCauley
Grezda
Middleton

The keeper. And thats it. None of the others are simply good enough. Better than all of them have been either slated on here over the years or moved on.
SG must see it surely.

McGregor.

Based on performances rather than reputation. How many of our current squad would get into the Beasts match day squad? Morelos if he can screw the nut but that's yet to be seen

Not good enough, I’d say Halliday, Worzel, Jack, Coulibaly, Ejaria, Rossiter, Lafferty, Candeias, Grezda, McAuley, Middleton.

We have more players who are below the standard required than we have who could do this job. We are more than 5 first picks away from being a serious outfit.

I’d agree with that other than Grezda, who I think we need to give more time, and Middleton who is still young enough to improve, plus he has shown he can finish given the chance.

Katic is another not listed I wouldn’t write off yet.

I find the criticism of Haliday harsh. He’s came on leaps and bounds from where he was last season. I would never in a million years of thought he had a future.

If half that team show some of his passion some of our results might be better.

Fair point but he's never good enough to be a first choice for a league winning team.

Morelos
McGregor
Arfield
Kent
Goldson (not on todays showing)

Maybe Tav but his poor games are catching up with good ones. Maybe Katic young and started well but faded. Maybe Barasic, looked good against us. Maybe Grezda but not been brilliant so far. Maybe Coulibaly as he started well but faded. Murphy deserves a chance. Maybe Middleton young with potential. Halliday as versatile back up. Maybe Candieas can be good but can be poor. Can't really fault McAuley but age against him.

Rest not overly fussed and the msybes some can probably go.

McGregor.

Based on performances rather than reputation. How many of our current squad would get into the Beasts match day squad? Morelos if he can screw the nut but that's yet to be seen
McGregor, Tavernier and Morelos would certainly get in their side. Their midfield is what truly sets them apart from us. Jack is good at his role when that role is needed and Arfield has been solid but their midfield is just better

Kirk Broadfoot
Ricky Foster
Steven Whittaker
Maurice Edu
Andrius Velicka
Jerome Rothen
John Fleck
Steven Smith
Christian Dailly
Kyle Lafferty

Were part of our last 3 title winning squads.

Let's not pretend you need to be particularly brilliant to get a Scottish League winners medal.

Those saying Kent

Look at how many goals and assists the wide players Celtic play have.
Kent, Middleton, Candieas and Grezda don’t make enough assists and don’t score enough.
We are too reliant on 1 player to score and poor wide players , due to not having 1 midfielder worthy of the name.

It’s difficult. The unit needs to be greater than the sum of it’s parts. A good manager gets players playing above their station. SG will need to do that, as we don’t have the cash to buy quality.

Guys like Mo Ross and Bob Malcolm won a Treble, and Ricky Foster has a league medal. It’s a squad game.

Keep: mcgregor, barasic, katic, Middleton, morelos.
The rest can go back to their clubs or be sold on as far as I'm concerned. We ain't winning anything with this squad in my opinion.

not sure about players highlighted but its all about opinions

Kirk Broadfoot
Ricky Foster
Steven Whittaker
Maurice Edu
Andrius Velicka
Jerome Rothen
John Fleck
Steven Smith
Christian Dailly
Kyle Lafferty

Let's not pretend you need to be particularly brilliant to get a Scottish League winners medal.

Decent point mate.
If we’d had the same question just seven days ago the answers would have been totally different.
Been a really poor week but loads of time left in the season.
Been really disappointed with big Laff but again that’s partly the lack of service from Midfield.
Don’t write off the whole squad just yet.

Fair point but he's never good enough to be a first choice for a league winning team.
The tims probably thought that about mcgregor and Christie aswell and look at them.

I’m not for a minute saying he should be a starter but you need good squad players and I believe Halliday is that

Staggered that people mention Goldson in a positive light , admittedly having a new partner every 90 mins can’t help . That is for the manager to sort .

Last edited:
I'm certainly not writing off Barisic but I'd be interested to hear why he makes the good enough list given he's been poor for us in his limited appearances so far.
I with you mate at the moment he’s living off his two games against us with fans.
He’s done absolutely nothing to suggest he’s going to be a player for us or someone we can rely on.
Today when he came on he reminded me of Charlie Adam soon as he got the ball it was just hit it long into the box from where ever he was. He doesnt go by players like tav can.
I’m not just going on just today I’m going on since he signed I’ve not been impressed tbh and I thought he was different class against us aswell.

It’s difficult. The unit needs to be greater than the sum of it’s parts. A good manager gets players playing above their station. SG will need to do that, as we don’t have the cash to buy quality.

Guys like Mo Ross and Bob Malcolm won a Treble, and Ricky Foster has a league medal. It’s a squad game.
This for me is the secret, we are not spending our way out of this .

Yes, we need to recruit but it won't be household names we bring in .

The rest is up to Gerrard , he needs to mould a unit that is , as you point out, greater than the sum of it's parts.

Given that he himself is a novice in the management dept. it's no easy task

I have a simple rule. If he was here and playing in those absolute horseings by Timmy last year...I don't want them here now. These are the guys who should be our experience for these fixtures but will be the 1st to dissapear up their own arse when it matters.

I find the criticism of Haliday harsh. He’s came on leaps and bounds from where he was last season. I would never in a million years of thought he had a future.

If half that team show some of his passion some of our results might be better.
Halliday imo has been the most consistent over the past 5-6 games he’s been involved in some still going on pre Gerrard performances

Keep: mcgregor, barasic, katic, Middleton, morelos.
The rest can go back to their clubs or be sold on as far as I'm concerned. We ain't winning anything with this squad in my opinion.
Haha brilliant. So we need to buy 20 players in the summer :D

Haha brilliant. So we need to buy 20 players in the summer :D
I do wonder sometimes what planet our support lives on. After the Hearts game we were world beaters, now only McGregor is good enough. He’s only a bad game away from being useless too......

Good enough:
Morelos
Shagger
Goldson
Katic
Barisic
Tavernier
Arfield
Kent
Lafferty
Jack

Not good enough:
Coulibaly
Ejaria

Still undecided/not seen enough:
Candeias
Rossiter
McCrorie
McCauley
Flanagan
Grezda
Middleton

McGregor, Tav and Morelos are the only players who get into Celtic's matchday squad.

The rest lack the guts and/or technical ability required.

Big questions now to be answered.

Shaggers the only one who would reastically make he Scumtic first eleven.Thats where we are at the moment

McGregor and Morelos are the only two that get into Celtic's matchday squad.

The rest lack the guts and/or technical ability required.

Big questions now to be answered.
Don’t even try and kid on that lustig is better than tav and that tierney is better than our left back who is a Croatian internationalist

I have a simple rule. If he was here and playing in those absolute horseings by Timmy last year...I don't want them here now. These are the guys who should be our experience for these fixtures but will be the 1st to dissapear up their own arse when it matters.

Aw fück, that's Morelos, our best player, in the bin then

Kirk Broadfoot
Ricky Foster
Steven Whittaker
Maurice Edu
Andrius Velicka
Jerome Rothen
John Fleck
Steven Smith
Christian Dailly
Kyle Lafferty

You don't need to be brilliant but you do need to be better than your rivals and we are way short at the moment .No point in trying to kid ourselves

Back