Why didnt we appeal their goal?

There's a lot wrong with that goal. McGregor must come and claim that. He catches it were going back to Ibrox with a draw. Kent is nowhere near close enough to Angelino. Arfield ducks out the way of the shot. And the boys offside obstructing McGregor's view.

What's that got to do with the goal? Honestly, any reason to criticise McGregor even though has pulled off 3 great saves to keep us in the game
3 great saves? They were all right at him. Rangers fans seem to have this warped perception that if a Mcgregor makes a save its a great save, none of they shots should be getting past a Rangers keeper other than the goal because its a wonder strike.

The balls literally on the 6 yard line when Sakala headers it clear, nobody will ever convince me that a good goal keeper that reads crosses etc doesn’t come for that, its 6 yards from the goal line. Not like its at the penalty spot, its been a recurring theme all season conceding from corners and set pieces because the defence are nervous that their keeper is rooted to his line like a statue.

Mcgregors been a great servant to the club and arguably our greatest ever keeper (best in my life time by a distance) that doesn’t mean he can’t be criticised, he’s this seasons Scott Brown, one season too many.

The OPs point is…why didn’t we chase the ref down to complain. If McGregor and other players had made a big deal of it and surrounded the ref then the decision MAY have went in our favour.

That’s the point the Op is making and it’s a fair point as the guy was offside but we accepted it without really challenging it.

McGregors reaction made it easy for VAR and that’s the OPs point.

The OPs point is…why didn’t we chase the ref down to complain. If McGregor and other players had made a big deal of it and surrounded the ref then the decision MAY have went in our favour.

That’s the point the Op is making and it’s a fair point as the guy was offside but we accepted it without really challenging it.

McGregors reaction made it easy for VAR and that’s the OPs point.
Exactly the ref may have had a different opinion on it than the 3 var boys he may not but if we made more of a fuss it would at least have asked him the question.

Everything that goes against us always has to be a error in some peoples eyes.

It was a great strike, just sometimes you’ve got to accept it.

Even though there was a player offside, right in front of our keeper.

We should never accept a wrong decision and it was wrong.

Comments in today's press conference talking about the leipzig guy blocking McGregors view
But he couldn’t have been - not according to a lot of people on this thread.

The fact that Gio has come out and said this makes it even more strange why the Players, including McGregor didn’t try and make more of it at the time. The guy was offside.

According to the Rangers Review daily update Gio was asked about it, he agreed it was offside and he said he was told it was actually reviewed by VAR, how they didn't disallow it is anyone's guess, it was a straightforward decision.

I’m more perturbed by the fact that as the weeks and months go by more and more of our support seem determined to adopt the dhims’ “always cheated never defeated” mantra.

Something we’ve taken great pride in mocking them for for years.
“always cheated never defeated” mantra."

Do you honestly think they give a hoot about that phrase if they are getting the result regardless?

The op asked a valid question not knowing whether all goals were checked or not how the hell can you associate it with that phrase especially when their player was in an offside position but obviously deemed not to be interfering with play by var?

What's that got to do with the goal? Honestly, any reason to criticise McGregor even though has pulled off 3 great saves to keep us in the game
Some keeper do come to catch those kind of crosses and some don’t. Certainly don’t expect McGregor to although he could’ve but it didn’t directly lead to the goal. As well as it being a good strike there was a few things that could’ve stopped it. Definitely wouldn’t blame McGregor for it though and he wasn’t at fault for last night.

I don’t get the hyperbole everytime he makes a save though to make up for the criticism he’s gets. He didn’t make 3 great saves, he made 3 saves that any Rangers keeper should be saving as they were right at him.

“always cheated never defeated” mantra."

Do you honestly think they give a hoot about that phrase if they are getting the result regardless?

The op asked a valid question not knowing whether all goals were checked or not how the hell can you associate it with that phrase especially when their player was in an offside position but obviously deemed not to be interfering with play by var?
I never pinned it to the OP. I'm talking in general.

There's a lot wrong with that goal. McGregor must come and claim that. He catches it were going back to Ibrox with a draw. Kent is nowhere near close enough to Angelino. Arfield ducks out the way of the shot. And the boys offside obstructing McGregor's view.

Other that that it was a stoater! :)

I never pinned it to the OP. I'm talking in general.
Tbf Bn you don't know if other fans in general will have valid points to question various issues or queries nor do I for that matter? Thing is that celtic fans phrase is justified because they twist and turn truths into what ever they need to suit their satisfaction most of the time en mass I can't see us doing their level?

We're talking about Allan McGregor here. If his view had been blocked by the offside player he wouldn't have been shy in letting the ref know. His lack of reaction tells you it was a legitimate goal.
Tbf TN8 it really doesn't matter about his reaction the player was in an offside position I think its down to whoever is doing var to decide if the player is interfering with play or not and giving the goal suggests no interference though not sure of the rules given seem to change em here and there?

Not offside or obstructing for me.

Makes it even more gutting.

Some hit and Kent should have done more to put him off but that might be being a bit harsh!

Tbf Bn you don't know if other fans in general will have valid points to question various issues or queries nor do I for that matter? Thing is that celtic fans phrase is justified because they twist and turn truths into what ever they need to suit their satisfaction most of the time en mass I can't see us doing their level?
I see it after almost every game on here. I'm basing my view on what I read posted on here.

According to the Rangers Review daily update Gio was asked about it, he agreed it was offside and he said he was told it was actually reviewed by VAR, how they didn't disallow it is anyone's guess, it was a straightforward decision.
Can't have a wee TV country team in final over a German one.

Kent was marking the spare man for the short corner.

Seen a lot of criticism of Kent for this (probably on the back of Craigan's nonsensical comment). Watch it back. Kent was out there marking the spare man at the corner (Forsberg I think it was, the guy with the long blond hair who came on as a sub) and nobody else picked up the run of Angelino. Kent tried to get there but had too much ground to make up.

I see it after almost every game on here. I'm basing my view on what I read posted on here.
Well you are entitled to your opinion like rest of us my own opinion is when I see where I believe there is an imbalance or bizarre decisions with action taken or a lack of I would question match officials doesn't mean I would be right though that could be open for debate mind changed from someone else's perspective Bn?

Doesn't negate our many missed chances we make, sloppy goals we concede nor match officials performances! Emotions can run high tbf and probably best to take a step back and look at controversial issues in the cold light of day before commenting?

Anyhow good day to you Bn fingers crossed for Sunday and the 2nd leg Thursday.

Seen a lot of criticism of Kent for this (probably on the back of Craigan's nonsensical comment). Watch it back. Kent was out there marking the spare man at the corner (Forsberg I think it was, the guy with the long blond hair who came on as a sub) and nobody else picked up the run of Angelino. Kent tried to get there but had too much ground to make up.

Yes he was, Kent was blameless said that last night to my son and pointed out we had a cluster of players where the ball was going from the cross none of their players near! Seemed to dislike Sakala too mind you there appears to be a few on here too?

The annoying thing is mcgregor normally moans about everything but he never said a thing, I reckon had we made a big deal of it they would be far more inclined to rule it out

Tbf TN8 it really doesn't matter about his reaction the player was in an offside position I think its down to whoever is doing var to decide if the player is interfering with play or not and giving the goal suggests no interference though not sure of the rules given seem to change em here and there?
Yeah, the VAR would've alerted the referee if there was anything worth looking at. I think it's fairly clear from one of the angles that the boy isn't in McGregor's line of sight.

I suppose what people are saying is if he had made a big deal of it there might have been more of a discussion between the ref and VAR but I still don't see it being ruled out.

Exactly my thoughts on it

If Kent pushes across to the spare man he needs to make sure someone else picks up his man on the edge of the box. Wether you see it as his fault or not, it's absolutely criminal the boy has so much space 20 yards from goal at a corner. If not Kent, then someone should be marking him.

If Kent pushes across to the spare man he needs to make sure someone else picks up his man on the edge of the box. Wether you see it as his fault or not, it's absolutely criminal the boy has so much space 20 yards from goal at a corner. If not Kent, then someone should be marking him.
Yep agree, suppose we were flooding the box in the last 5 mins

On the Rangers Review they are saying that an offside Leipzig player gets out of the way of the ball as the shot comes in so he must have been in McGregor's line of sight. GVB is also unhappy with the goal standing. Looks like we were diddled here.

Here’s the rule bud, he was definitely obstructing his line of vision

Water under the bridge now, but frustrating none the less.

Clueless to blame Kent, which is why Craigan said it.

Screenshot-20220428-215510-Chrome.jpg

Ball leaving the goalscorers foot... Offside no doubt
Totally agree that goal should have been ruled out by VAR.

3 great saves? They were all right at him. Rangers fans seem to have this warped perception that if a Mcgregor makes a save its a great save, none of they shots should be getting past a Rangers keeper other than the goal because its a wonder strike.

The balls literally on the 6 yard line when Sakala headers it clear, nobody will ever convince me that a good goal keeper that reads crosses etc doesn’t come for that, its 6 yards from the goal line. Not like its at the penalty spot, its been a recurring theme all season conceding from corners and set pieces because the defence are nervous that their keeper is rooted to his line like a statue.

Mcgregors been a great servant to the club and arguably our greatest ever keeper (best in my life time by a distance) that doesn’t mean he can’t be criticised, he’s this seasons Scott Brown, one season too many.

Mibbees not a great save but a save is a save is a save.

He disnae save it, the baws in the net.

On the Rangers Review they are saying that an offside Leipzig player gets out of the way of the ball as the shot comes in so he must have been in McGregor's line of sight. GVB is also unhappy with the goal standing. Looks like we were diddled here.

Try telling the what for ? contingent.

Naw, don't bother as its too late now.

That's not offside, he wasn't interfering.

If that was the other way around we would have rioted if that was chalked off.
He was interfering Mcgregors LOS was marginally/partially blocked. It doesn't need to be completely blocked. If

McGregor can't fully see the player strike the shot DUE to the player in an offside position its offside.

If he can't see the player hit the shot DUE to an opposition player who is onside then that's tough tittie.....BUT if the player is in an offside position and interfers with the keepers LOS then its offside.

I think the players and Mcgregor didn't claim through the low of it hitting the back of the net and it not being a glaringly obvious one. My thoughts on the matter.

I said at the time he was interfering and I think it was a 50/50 call. I am sure VAR would have checked it. However, on the balance of the evening I think the result was about right and we have a great chance to win this tie. I thought they were pretty poor.

Here’s the rule bud, he was definitely obstructing his line of vision

Water under the bridge now, but frustrating none the less.
All came down to whoever was controlling var Tags it wouldn't surprise me if eventually decisions like this were retrospectively overturned on appeal in the future? Personally imo caught inside 6 yard box offside should be given as offside whether in line of vision or not! Hopefully we make our own justice at Ibrox?

Back