William Waddell statue

Should we have a statue

• Yes

Votes: 256 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 213 45.4%

• Total voters
Bill Struth, Walter Smith and Scott Symon deserve statues. In that order. Best things Waddell did was sign Alex McDonald and Tam McLean, give DJ is debut and bring in Jock Wallace. No bad though
From memory I believe it was Davie Whyte who signed Alex McDonald, but I take your point. Re Scot Symon, I'm amazed he's never been inducted into our Hall of Fame, bearing in mind he won 10 consecutive League titles with Rangers (unofficial wartime competition included obviously). He followed his father's profession and qualified as an architect, serving his country during WW2 as a draughtsman at the Linthouse shipyard who utilised his drawing skills. Given the disgraceful way he was ultimately treated by Rangers, a tribute in the form of a bust similar to the one of Mr Struth which sits at the top of the marble staircase is the least he should receive. This would be in keeping with the modest and understated nature of a man who gave great service to the club, but was treated badly by those on whom he should have been able to rely.

I'd like to see more about some of our legends, although too many statues might end up like the tims. Maybe good quality banners/murals around some of the boundaries showing some key moments in our history, such as 1972 and 9 in a row? I'd love for Ibrox to feel more "Rangersy" on non-match days

Respectfully disagree. Smith, Struth and Wallace achieved more, without belittling how phenomenal 1972 was
Smith, Struth, Wallace and Symon won more honours as Manager, and all rightly command the greatest respect. It should be remembered however that Willie Waddell served the club as player, Manager, General Manager and Managing Director. His contribution to Rangers cannot be understated - he provided much needed leadership in the club's darkest hour when our board of Directors seemed to disappear from view, as well as driving forward construction of the new stadium (and ensuring the club's finances were run prudently to pay for all of this). The team certainly lacked consistency during his period as Manager, however he introduced a number of players who served the club well for many years, including the Jock Wallace treble winning seasons. Circumstances dictated he take charge of the club, and I suspect Jock Wallace owed Mr Waddell a debt of gratitude for the success he enjoyed. Any Manager who could guide a team like Kilmarnock to the league title as Mr Waddell did in 1965 must have known what they were doing.

Might not be popular but I think we should have statues round all Ibrox We should be taking over the grounds of Ibrox as when the museum opens there will be more tourists fan visits group visits and round aibrox compared to other big clubs in the world is a bit bland.
We already own the ground around Ibrox from the main stand to everything behind the other 3 stands.

Only the statue is not there to represent Greig
If you were around at the end of Scot Symon/Davie White, plus the Ibrox disaster, Waddell, who definitely was no shrinking violet, pulled the Club up from being also rans. The JG statue, came around with few people knowing there was a poll, other wise, who’s statue would have been voted for IF the whole of the Support would have known? As for statues it’s a Generation thing, there’s those born decades and decades ago, no longer with us, that would have said other players.

If you were around at the end of Scot Symon/Davie White, plus the Ibrox disaster, Waddell, who definitely was no shrinking violet, pulled the Club up from being also rans. The JG statue, came around with few people knowing there was a poll, other wise, who’s statue would have been voted for IF the whole of the Support would have known? As for statues it’s a Generation thing, there’s those born decades and decades ago, no longer with us, that would have said other players.
Domestically waddle did not pull the club (on the field) from being also rans.we beat Celtic once under Waddell.71/72 season we lost four times to Celtic and finished 4th in the league.he had a worse record than Davy Whyte when it came to taking on Celtic under stein.he should be quite rightly lauded as a player and for taking charge of the club in the hours and days after the disaster.the stadium and Barcelona 72 is his legacy.

Back