William Waddell statue

Should we have a statue

• Yes

Votes: 256 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 213 45.4%

• Total voters
Statues and the naming of stands after players or managers is laughable.
Why is the naming of stands after players laughable. Naming the stands after the like of Jardine and Struth denotes their legendary satus within the club

After watching numerous clips and the Amazon documentary should we as fans be pushing / demanding a befitting statue to the great man.
Bill Struth, Walter Smith and Scott Symon deserve statues. In that order. Best things Waddell did was sign Alex McDonald and Tam McLean, give DJ is debut and bring in Jock Wallace. No bad though

Bill Struth, Walter Smith and Scott Symon deserve statues. In that order. Best things Waddell did was sign Alex McDonald and Tam McLean, give DJ is debut and bring in Jock Wallace. No bad though
Best thing Waddell done was lead the club in the aftermath of the disaster. He was largely responsible for the building of the new stadium.

On the field it was a decidedly mixed bag. Our first trophy in 5 years, our only ( to date ) European trophy, but a truly abysmal record in the League Chsmponship and against Celtic.

Oh and he was one of our greatest players.

I like the club doing things in an understated way; the naming of stands and statues is not something I like for Rangers personally. That's why I voted no.

YES

But after Mr Bill Struths

(I'm defo not a liverpool fan, but in near modern similarities, it would be like giving Bob Paisley a statue ahead of Bill Shankly).

There's a great argument for Waddell to be the greatest ever Ranger but looking at the man objectively he was a a very belligerent man who was very dogmatic with his at attitude to others.One thing about Waddell which sticks in my mind is Waddell,during a documentary about Rangers/Celtic is Waddell stating that after a defeat that a lot of Rangers fans would go home and smack their wives. This was early 1970s, tbh it did not endear me to him as a man but he was a great Rangers man despite that

I’m not sure about statues but I think there should be a part of the new museum when it gets built that should have a part that’s dedicated to played and managers that have done great things for the club, something that tells the story about them and what they done for our club.

Why is the naming of stands after players laughable. Naming the stands after the like of Jardine and Struth denotes their legendary satus within the club

Its laughable because there are too many deserving of recognition and not enough stands. Gillick, Morton, Young, Woodburn, Waddell, Brand, Shearer, Greig, McCoist, Gough, Goram etc etc.

We've even had some suggesting everyone that played in our 55 title winning team is a "legend". Really?

YES

But after Mr Bill Struths

(I'm defo not a liverpool fan, but in near modern similarities, it would be like giving Bob Paisley a statue ahead of Bill Shankly).

Liverpool have statues of both Shankly and Paisley. Im not a fan of statues outside grounds.

The club will never put up another statue in my opinion. Where would it end? As much as I have a shortlist of a players or managers, I just don't think it's a road we should go down. There would be constant bickering going on about why someone does and someone doesn't.

We're 150 years old. I'm 40. People that are 70, 80+ or younger even, will argue for someone and I would argue for another.

But.....

If I was to be pushed for an answer it would be Mr Bill Struth.

Waddell was the best administrator the club ever had. He was visionary after Jan 71 and laid the grounds for the progression of Rangers. As a player he was sublime but as a manager he had basic failings although he won the ECWC.

The way he bullied Davie White out the job and then took it does not sit well even after over 50 years. His record against the rattlers was poor.

Statues are an emotive subject and if there is to be one erected I would suggest Walter Smith.

Last edited:
Imo if any statue is being commissioned outside our stadium, it's Mr Bill Struth, on a grand scale.
No disrespect to Mr wa
The John Greig statue who was my player of that Era yes, however as Thee all time player NO! When you think what Willie Waddell done both as a Player and Manager should be the main person in front of Ibrox.
Mr Struth set the standards that what we are,so yes

We've had so few managers in our history, I would love to see all our managers as statues in an "avenue" beside the stadium.
I kind of agree to an extent but no sure a statue of Pedro or PLG would go down too well (that's before even considering if murty doing the head stand would be there too!)

Waddle was the best administrator the club ever had. He was visionary after Jan 71 and laid the grounds for the progression of Rangers. As a player he was sublime but as a manager he had basic failings although he won the ECWC.

The way he bullied Davie White out the job and then took it does not sit well even after over 50 years. His record against the rattlers was poor.

Statues are an emotive subject and if there is to be one erected I would suggest Walter Smith.
I'm having a hard time grasping why anyone would think him the greatest ever Ranger. Credit where it's due, he seems to have been some player, and he was the driving force behind the new Ibrox. But he was not a good manager, and the bit I've put in bold - I couldn't agree more.

The key point was:

"in near modern similarities, it would be like".

Sorry if you thought I was criticising you. I wasnt. I was just pointing out that LFC have two statues. They also have a bust of their founder John Holdsworth or Holding. Cant remember even though I saw it virtually every day for 2 years.

I'm having a hard time grasping why anyone would think him the greatest ever Ranger. Credit where it's due, he seems to have been some player, and he was the driving force behind the new Ibrox. But he was not a good manager, and the bit I've put in bold - I couldn't agree more.
Davy Whyte said that the day he left Ibrox when he was sacked as he walked out the front door,he seen waddle sitting in his car on edminston drive.
I would say that winning the ecwc almost certainly puts a massive gloss on which for much of his time as manager was pretty dire stuff and in 1972 we finished 4th in the league.we played Celtic four times and lost every single one of them.

Reactions: SDR
Sorry if you thought I was criticising you. I wasnt. I was just pointing out that LFC have two statues. They also have a bust of their founder John Holdsworth or Holding. Cant remember even though I saw it virtually every day for 2 years.

No worries mate.

Liverpool have a bust of; and were founded by John Houlding - the Mayor of Liverpool, a businessman and an Orange Man.

No worries mate.

Liverpool have a bust of; and were founded by John Houlding - the Mayor of Liverpool, a businessman and an Orange Man.

I was tempted to 'colour in' the chain around his neck when I lived in Anfield. I did get a couple of pictures taken in front of the Shankly statue while I was holding up my

RANGERS FC
55 TIMES KINGS OF SCOTLAND

banner.

I did display it outside the Titanic Hotel just as the Rangers' team buses were leaving to play Tranmere Rovers.

I was tempted to 'colour in' the chain around his neck when I lived in Anfield. I did get a couple of pictures taken in front of the Shankly statue while I was holding up my

RANGERS FC
55 TIMES KINGS OF SCOTLAND

banner.

I did display it outside the Titanic Hotel just as the Rangers' team buses were leaving to play Tranmere Rovers.

I have taken a few Rangers pics over the years - not too many at Ibrox though.

From the pitch at Easter rd helicopter sunday. At Isandlwana & Rorkes Drift. At the Hong Kong Cenotaph 70 years after my dad RMC display. NASA Houston.

Could well be a reasonable topic.

Neither was John Greig but it doesn't stop some people calling him the Greatest Ever Ranger. And Waddell was vastly more successful than John Greig as a manager.

Some of the reasons for not having a statue in the surrounds of Ibrox on this thread I totally disagree with. Especially the “ leave statues to them” mindset.

The piggery stadium itself is still a rusting breezeblock mess, however the surrounds of the tip and the club shop have been vastly upgraded (with of course help from the council) and anyone who remembers it from the 70s 80s and 90s compared to now will remember.

The truth is the outside of Ibrox is a depressing mess of tarmac with potholes , portakabin ticket office with barbed wire and putting a few flags up on lamp posts won’t cut it in terms of freshening it up for the modern day.

A statue of Greig with the cup winners cup as you walk up towards the Copland/govan from the subway would look sensational. One commissioned and done properly of course to avoid some of the poor efforts you sometimes see. 1972 just isn’t honoured enough or venerated enough in my opinion. Seville this year just reinforces it.

One of Bill Struth or the founding 4 lads at the other end would also be fantastic.

The whole mindset some have “ but but Celtic done this so we can’t do it” is mind boggling. Celtic sing songs should we stop singing songs? They don’t have an original idea in their heads and copy/steal everything from YNWA to the Poznań to their rebel “music” , but we aren’t allowed a statue to salute our club legends because of something in the bible or because they have it outside their ground? Nah, I’m not buying that.

Edminston house when finally finished will be a marvellous addition of course but it needs supplemented by some sort of facelift for the surrounds of our stadium. It just isn’t befitting a club of our size and history in the modern day. Iconic club iconic stadium deserves more than bedraggled tarmac, barbed wire and cheap lamp post flags.

I met him once. it's a no from me.
I can understand - he was often cantankerous - I used to always get the rotten jobs as a young dogsbody at Ibrox relaying messages to him from club officials while he was in his office. He always laughed at me but he did remember me and years after he used to wince at me holding up a no-smoking sign after the Bradford fire in the Main Stand next to the directors box. I annoyed him so much he sent me down to bring him an ash-tray! However, he also handed me a Christmas pudding (along with the turkey we all used to get) that year and wished me a Merry Christmas. I think he was made of steel stuff, but he got things done.

The John Greig statue who was my player of that Era yes, however as Thee all time player NO! When you think what Willie Waddell done both as a Player and Manager should be the main person in front of Ibrox.

Only the statue is not there to represent Greig

Best thing Waddell done was lead the club in the aftermath of the disaster. He was largely responsible for the building of the new stadium.

On the field it was a decidedly mixed bag. Our first trophy in 5 years, our only ( to date ) European trophy, but a truly abysmal record in the League Chsmponship and against Celtic.

Oh and he was one of our greatest players.
My late father's favourite player.
It can also be said he was partly the reason for Alex Ferguson not taking up the offer of becoming Rangers manager.
Fergie once said that he had more influence at the club than any other figure there. If he picked up the phone and offered him the job he'd have taken it.

There's a great argument for Waddell to be the greatest ever Ranger but looking at the man objectively he was a a very belligerent man who was very dogmatic with his at attitude to others.One thing about Waddell which sticks in my mind is Waddell,during a documentary about Rangers/Celtic is Waddell stating that after a defeat that a lot of Rangers fans would go home and smack their wives. This was early 1970s, tbh it did not endear me to him as a man but he was a great Rangers man despite that
Remember the documentary, Rangers were livid about the way the club was portrayed which was attributed to the programme makers. I'm thinking the documentary was broadcast around 1973, and only recall Mr Waddell giving one further broadcast interview (to Scotsport) around 1979 when the discussion largely focused on the new stadium which was still under construction. Communication with the support after this was via Rangers News, or the occasional pitchside micophone address following incidents of crowd trouble away from home. The way he brought the Daily Express in to line by banning John Mackenzie, one of their Chief Sportswriters and a former press colleague showed the metal of the man.

Back