William Waddell statue

Should we have a statue

• Yes

Votes: 256 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 213 45.4%

• Total voters
The John Greig statue who was my player of that Era yes, however as Thee all time player NO! When you think what Willie Waddell done both as a Player and Manager should be the main person in front of Ibrox.

Wouldn't have a statue but with the museum happening there is scope for something.
I stay in his hometown of Forth and a group was put together to honour Willie in the town. So far the sports centre has been renamed the Willie Waddell sports and community centre or something like that. Also they have commissioned 4 plinths with details of his career

Wouldn’t happen for obvious reasons, but Orange style banners decorated with images of our legends would look pretty cool in a museum. A kind of dream scene I suppose. Would be a good compromise for those worried about appearing too Roman as well.

There are lots of tributes inside Ibrox as it stands, I’m not even sure where any more statues would safely go in the current footprint.

The current statue is different as I understand it, as it’s a tribute to absent friends rather than specifically to Mr Greig himself.

We’re not Catholics. We don’t do icons.

Besides, the stadium is Waddell’s monument
Putting up a statue is not "Catholic".

I like looking at the statues in George Square for example. Statues celebrate the accomplishments of people. They are not worshipped like crucifixes or "likenesses" of the virgin Mary.

I'd surround Ibrox with statues of those who built us into what we are.

Simply yes. Greatest Ranger.

Or name the stadium or a Stand after him.

The above are the least he deserves for delivering our only European honour and our stadium. The man was a pioneer. Also his playing career was magnificent, a fact overlooked sometimes, such were his post playing career contributions.

Absolutely, yes. Although it should be one of 3 statues that the club commissions - Mr Struth, Mr Waddell and Mr Smith.

Voted yes but on reflection I think no ,the great man has the stadium to remember
Him by , and where do you stop when erecting statues to greats from our past .

Imo if any statue is being commissioned outside our stadium, it's Mr Bill Struth, on a grand scale.
No, statues are for inferior clubs with an inferiority complex ( one of them will be tearing some of them down in the future ) the iconic Edmiston drives needs to stay as it is.

Personally I'm not big on statues at football stadiums, although our's to commemorate The Ibrox Disaster is an obvious exception.

However, for those that do like them, putting Waddell ahead of Wilton, Struth, Symon and Smith, would be up for debate with many.

Yes, Waddell was an outstanding player with us, pioneered the new stadium and won our only European trophy.
However, domestically, his record was poor.

He never once mounted a serious title challenge, the 1970 LC victory was his only domestic trophy and his record against celtic wasn't even average.

It was only when Wallace took over, that the Jock Stein juggernaut was halted, when he ended their 10 in a row attempt and then won 2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

Barcelona was an outstanding achievement and I'm certainly not taking anything away from it.
Willie Waddell will rightly always be remembered as a Rangers legend and more.

However, the other managers I've mentioned all deserve equal mention.
Where do you draw the line?

Only my opinion.

Last edited:
Waddell was the greatest ever Ranger for me, although you can’t overlook the influence of Struth, Walter and probably Wilton. And it’s impossible to ignore the Founding Fathers obviously or we would have no Club.

I think we should have a parliament square of statues with Walter and Struth and Waddell and El Buffalo!

Struth has the stand, the bust and the painting at the heart of the trophy room.
Waddell's legacy is his reaction to our darkest day, to build a stadium fit for our club, the finest in in the world at the time. Taking the club from that day to European glory is his legacy.

After watching numerous clips and the Amazon documentary should we as fans be pushing / demanding a befitting statue to the great man.
Waddell is a contender for the greatest Rangers ever, I don’t think he needs a statue, Ibrox is due to him as it stands now. An absolute giant of a man

Struth has the stand, the bust and the painting at the heart of the trophy room.
Waddell's legacy is his reaction to our darkest day, to build a stadium fit for our club, the finest in in the world at the time. Taking the club from that day to European glory is his legacy.
You put that better than my post just after mate.

Voted no. I admit to being somewhat hypocritical here as I am an Atheist. However when I was sent to Sunday school some near 60 years ago I remember that God forbids graven images. So let us leave that to those who worship inanimate objects.

The statue that we do have at Ibrox is primarily a remembrance statue of those killed in the Ibrox Disaster. It just happens to be of our captain, John Greig solemnly bowing his head in respect
In many ways similar to statues of Remembrance in every village, town and city throughout the UK and further afield of the dead of World Wars.

I think that the bronze busts of our former great managers and players on the marble staircase and the commissioned paintings of our managers is very fitting and adequate.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not big on statues at football stadiums, although our's to commemorate The Ibrox Disaster is an obvious exception.

However, for those that do like them, putting Waddell ahead of Wilton, Struth, Symon and Smith, would be up for debate with many.

Yes, Waddell was an outstanding player with us, pioneered the new stadium and won our only European trophy.
However, domestically, his record was poor.

He never once mounted a serious title challenge, the 1970 LC victory was his only domestic trophy and his record against celtic wasn't even average.

It was only when Wallace took over, that the Jock Stein juggernaut was halted, when he ended their 10 in a row attempt and then won 2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

Barcelona was an outstanding achievement and I'm certainly not taking anything away from it.
Willie Waddell will rightly always be remembered as a Rangers legend and more.

However, the other managers I've mentioned all deserve equal mention.
Where do you draw the line?

Only my opinion.
I totally agree on domestic form under Waddell we didn’t come remotely close to winning the title and for all the criticism Waddell gave Davy whyte in his newspaper column,Davy whyte had a better record v Celtic than Waddell did.
Under Waddell we beat Celtic once and that was in the 1970 league cup final.
Jock Wallace took over and took the team to another level domestically.

I think there should be a plaque on Ibrox stadium that denotes he is the man who pushed for this very stadium to exist and making sure that such a tragedy could never happen again.

Mr Waddell's legacy here is Ibrox. It should be more obvious so many years later though.

I’m not in favour of multitudes of statues appearing around the Stadium. Such is our history that we could easily have double figures you could make a case for. Willie Waddell would certainly be right up there near the top. I’d been a Rangers supporter for many years before but him taking over as Manager for me starting to attend every week. It helped that a few in my family knew him as he grew up not far from us.

To answer the question though, I wouldn’t have a statue for him simply because I’m agin too many statues.

I'm personally not into statues but I think that there would be a far better case for statues for Bill Struth, Scot Symon and Walter Smith.
Where does it end; what about Neilly Gibson for example.

Who? you ask. The "Pavlova in football boots"...

A memorial for the disasters is apt, enough, and sufficient.

All the heroes should have a place in the museum... There are too many to differentiate...

Gibson doesnt even make this top 50?

Colin Stein (bless him) is ahead of Tom Vallance?

With the absolute shockers we've seen when it comes to statues of footballers/managers, that would be tempting fate.

Back