William Waddell statue

Should we have a statue

• Yes

Votes: 256 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 213 45.4%

• Total voters
I think he’s the Greatest Ever Ranger but I wouldn’t have a statue.

You couldn’t have a statue of him but not have one of Bill Struth for example.

I disagree with this.... We are too slow to properly honour our legends who genuinely change our club.. Walter a big example of that. We should decorate them more so we and the next generation never forget people who genuinely make our club what it is today.
The museum will be the best place to educate future generations on those who served our club.

I'm personally not into statues but I think that there would be a far better case for statues for Bill Struth, Scot Symon and Walter Smith.
All legends of course but Waddell was a legendary player, a legendary manager who delivered our only European trophy and he was the driving force of the stadium redesign which gave us the best arena in Britain for a period. The combination is unique.

Like you, I’m not sure about statues at all but if you’re putting them up there’s a really strong case for Waddell.

Last edited:
The modern day Ibrox Stadium we all know and love is Waddell’s legacy.
This, and the fact he dragged us out of a dark period.

He won us the League Cup in 1970 (my first time seeing Rangers winning something) then followed it up a year and a half later with a European trophy.

Also, I learned from the, lets say, more mature Bears on the slopes of Ibrox Park he was some player for Rangers back in the day.

Statue? Of course.

Reactions: CF4
When did he stop being Willie Waddell? Have I missed something? The greatest Ranger of his generation. Up there with Greig, Struth, Symon, Smith, Gray, Meiklejohn, and Jardine for me, but a statue? Not for me.

Might not be popular but I think we should have statues round all Ibrox We should be taking over the grounds of Ibrox as when the museum opens there will be more tourists fan visits group visits and round aibrox compared to other big clubs in the world is a bit bland.

Might not be popular but I think we should have statues round all Ibrox We should be taking over the grounds of Ibrox as when the museum opens there will be more tourists fan visits group visits and round aibrox compared to other big clubs in the world is a bit bland.
Other than the current memorial, we as a support do not indulge in such ostentatious expressions as you are advocating.

We leave well alone.

I’d absolutely agree that Mr Waddell is one of many incredible figures from our clubs illustrious past who needs greater recognition.

A statue is one, but not the only, means of doing this.

We so badly need the planned Rangers Museum. It is decades overdue and will be brilliant if done properly.

Wait and see what the museum has re managers. Statues tell you f*ck all really about who someone was

Watched the amazon documentary loved it weve had some extraordinary people involved with our club and we should be proud. As a friend of mine who isn't a Gers fan said to me Rangers are similar to a Masonic /orange Lodge and I couldn't argue when you know you know. Gb

I’d absolutely agree that Mr Waddell is one of many incredible figures from our clubs illustrious past who needs greater recognition.

A statue is one, but not the only, means of doing this.

We so badly need the planned Rangers Museum. It is decades overdue and will be brilliant if done properly.
Have to admit that iv been very ignorant to his Contribution to our club apart from winning the cup winners Cup

Statues are a wee bit close to 'idolatry' for my liking but I think all our heroes are well remembered and respected as it is.

Have to admit that iv been very ignorant to his Contribution to our club apart from winning the cup winners Cup

And you are very far from alone in that. FF has been a brilliant vehicle for educating me on our history, but I’m the first to admit there are still big gaps in my knowledge.

The museum is long overdue. As well as providing an education for our own support, it can become a major tourist attraction and money spinner if done right

Once Edmiston house is complete
Is there not meant to be a Copland way getting done ?,I'm sure I was something on here a year or so back about that.

Anyway that would be an ideal place to put a statue /bust / gallery wall or whatever of some of our most iconic and pioneering managers .
I don't think anyone is looking for a Lourdes or carfin but a couple of statues in remembrance of some of our true greats would be a great addition to our stadium footprint imo.

More statues create a law of diminishing returns, each new one feels less special. A nice wee bust like Struth’s for him & Walter.

I wouldn’t say no to Fulham’s Michael Jackson one though

After watching numerous clips and the Amazon documentary should we as fans be pushing / demanding a befitting statue to the great man.
IMO statues are for that lot. They fit in with their whole existence and the ritual and very being of them! No!

For me, our statue is Ibrox. It represents the supporters, the tragedies through the years and the future.

I'm personally not into statues but I think that there would be a far better case for statues for Bill Struth, Scot Symon and Walter Smith.
I’d agree here but, maybe not for the same reasons.
We have way too many deserving cases.
From our Founding Fathers and the others who got us on our way, through Wilton, Struth, Waddell and Smith,.
How many players?
There is quite a list here.

Back