Worst football injury at a match you were at

Antonio Valencia in the 0-0 game at Old Trafford. We were obviously at the other end of the ground but you could tell by our players reaction that it was a bad one.

I used to go to a lot of Highland League games when I was younger as couldn’t always afford the trip to Ibrox.

Fraserburgh were playing Clyde I think in the Scottish cup - two players running full speed for a ball on the touch line at the stand side - the Clyde boy’s momentum took him straight into the brick wall at the front of the stand with a bone crunching smash.

Can’t remember which injuries were sustained; but the game was held up for about 20 minutes waiting for an ambulance to arrive. Ouch.

Thinking of Aribo the other night it got me wondering.

What was the worst injury you have seen in person at a football match to happen to a player?
I was at the old firm game in 1967 when that wee fecker Auld deliberately stood on the ball as big Davy Provan was about to kick it and it snapped his leg in two, I am not being over the top but you could hear the snap, it ruined big Davy's career

My youngest when playing for team I was coaching at the time leaned his head forward to header the ball at a corner and caught a high foot on top of his head, the other boy was wearing blades so he had a few deep cuts and dents. Ref was lucky I was more concerned about my boy after I heard him say to other coach you do your job I will do mine when asked about no free kick or having a word with the offending player. 6 hours in A&E and lots of stitches for my boy is the worst I seen in the flesh.

Albert Morrison of Kilmarnock suffering a leg break in a friendly against us in the early 80’s after a challenge by Gregor Stevens. Horrendous.

I was sitting at the back of the Killie main stand that day. As it was a friendly on a freezing day that had been arranged at very short notice, there was not much of a crowd in attendance. The snap of Albert Morrison's leg breaking was heard from where I was sat.

I've seen and had quite a few bad injuries during my time, but the worst I can remember was a mutiple leg break suffered by a young trialist playing for Motherwell u/17's against Us at Auchenhowie.

It happened right in front of me and I'll never forget the crack or the screams.

I think the young lad never fully recovered.

WATP

Pro youth level
Scottish cup semi final
teammate went in for a 50/50 nothing big or aggressive about either player
Boys thigh bone snapped and was sticking out from under his knee
Ambulance turned up
Paramedic thought his knee was dislocated and attempted to put it back in and soon discovered it was his thigh bone sticking out

horrific

Wasnt at pittodrie , but was present when big butcher broke his leg v aberdeen that was horrible and combinated in us loosing the title to celtic that season

Was horrible but a bit of a myth that it cost us the league, we were already a long way behind at that point.

I was in the Centenary stand when a Big John Greig tackle broke Bobby Lennox leg
1.1 draw that game.

I had a coming together with a opposition player in a game at Toryglen 10 years ago. Both going for the ball his foot got stuck as we both fell. I got up to see his leg pointing one direction and his foot at 90 degrees and hanging by a thread. Awful injury.

Match abandoned with 10 mins left.

What made it worse was that it was the week before Christmas. He spent Christmas in the Victoria. I went to see him a few days later and none of his team mates or coaches had been in yet.

Huttona leg break at Killie and Fernando getting knocked out cold when he clashed with Henning Berg. Have always wondered if there was a correlation between that and the Illness that came over him about 10 years later in life
Always remember the head clash with Berg. Against man utd was it not? I can't believe that there's not some sort of link however small, with serious head injuries and neurological conditions but that's another topic.

Not at a match, but playing 5's inside the gym hall at Iain Nicolson centre in Chryston.

A young guy about 18 years old, really speedy, is running with the ball. Opposition guy tries to tackle him and mistimes the challenge, trips the boy up when he is full flight.The boy flew right into the emergency exit doors, head first.

There was an enormous bang, and he just lay there motionless. After a few seconds, he started going into a fit and the rest of us went into panic mode. Luckily there was a member of staff who had some medical training and knew what to do. He was taken to hospital in an ambulance and spent three days under observation, he seemed to be OK after that.

The emergency doors were the kind with a bar you have to push down to open, the force of him hitting the doors actually opened them. He could so easily have hit the concrete wall or the edge of the wall which would have been much worse.

probably i think scott nisbet breaking martin hayes leg at a reserve game, might not have been nissie?

Albert Morrison of Kilmarnock suffering a leg break in a friendly against us in the early 80’s after a challenge by Gregor Stevens. Horrendous.

That was right in front of me awful for the lad.
Saw John McClelland break his ankle against ( I think) Porto that wasn’t pleasant either.

Gordon Cowans at Villa park, the snap reverberate around the stadium, and the bone was through his sock, I almost threw up. :eek:

I know of a player who during an Ayrshire Juniors match many years ago Cumnock v Auchinleck [possibly] had one leg broken and his cruciate ruptured in his other leg. A work colleague of the time was the referee.

Slightly off-topic but an honorable mention for...

Adrian Beltre, then of the Seattle Mariners. Smacked by a ball on the ball - not wearing the necessary protective equipment.

Result - crushed and ruptured testicle. Internal bleeding had it swollen up the size of a grapefruit.

Because there's no crying in baseball he finished the game. Extra lucky that the game went to 5 extra innings before he had to win it himself so he could get to the hospital to get the tear repaired.

Probably during an amateur match and the incident involved me. This a.rsehole on the opposing side was trying to nail folk all game and he went in for a 50-50 with me and I somehow managed to wedge my foot on front of the ball in an anchoring position which meant the ball wouldn’t move easily, in comes bawbag trying to make another rash challenge and somehow snaps his leg in two, with the bone sticking through his sock. I just had a look at him and walked away shaking my head, karma is a complete bitch!

Hutton's leg break was nasty. Heard the crack in the Govan Front.

Honourable mention to Lambert headbutting Albertz's knee. A beautiful moment on a number of levels.

Was also in the Govan front and heard the crack.

As a kid I was at the 1986 FA Cup semi-final at White Hart Lane.

Southampton's Mark Wright broke his leg as Liverpool won 2-0.

I've not seen it in years but I remember it being pretty horrific and it cost Wright his place in the England WC squad.

Incidentally West Tip won the Grand National the same day.

Seen many leg breaks, cuts etc given nature of game so not too fussed.
However this injury was different and left a mark on me. 5 a side league in Paisley Pitz years ago. Boy in opposite team was tackled and he hit the deck hard. He got up and just didn't look right. Wandering about in a total daze as if he didnae have a clue where he was.
Turns out he was taking a seizure. His pals were in shock , in tears at state of him. Ambulance called and he was taken to hospital. That was first time he had ever had a seizure.

We asked a couple of weeks later how he was and were told he he had taken another seizure during the night a few days later and died.

Hit us all hard.

Seen many leg breaks, cuts etc given nature of game so not too fussed.
However this injury was different and left a mark on me. 5 a side league in Paisley Pitz years ago. Boy in opposite team was tackled and he hit the deck hard. He got up and just didn't look right. Wandering about in a total daze as if he didnae have a clue where he was.
Turns out he was taking a seizure. His pals were in shock , in tears at state of him. Ambulance called and he was taken to hospital. That was first time he had ever had a seizure.

We asked a couple of weeks later how he was and were told he he had taken another seizure during the night a few days later and died.

Hit us all hard.

Wow. That sucks

Mines is similar to the above, the first time I ever saw someone take an epileptic fit was during a game of 11’s in a works league. Was horrific not knowing what was going on for the first few minutes. The guy was alright But what a fright it was seeing the guy just drop.

In all honesty probably Lamberts was the most.horrible to look at. Not at the time but seeing replays after made me feel really sick.

Hutton’s leg break was the worst I’ve seen at a professional game.

Worst I’ve seen in a game I was playing was a boy got his foot caught in the AstroTurf and went over his ankle, his foot was dangling off the bone. After the initial shock (and during the 20 minute wait) he started phoning everyone he could telling them what had happened while still lying on the pitch disrupting our game :))

Always remember the head clash with Berg. Against man utd was it not? I can't believe that there's not some sort of link however small, with serious head injuries and neurological conditions but that's another topic.

Stuttgart mate, 2-1 when nerlinger and lovenkrands scored. Remember watching it on TV, was only 11, crying thinking Berg had killed him. Haven't ever seen it back but from what I recall it was absolutely horrific.

On topic, I don't think I've been around to witness too many bad injuries. Tbh I think it would probably be Dorrans against Kilmarnock or Kipre's assault on Jack. Been going home and away for years now, been lucky not to see too many injuries

I did a slide tackle on astro turf and a big guy landed on my arm breaking the main bone.Had to get it pinned .Still remembering playing on with stars in my eyes thinking I'll get that guy back lol Never felt so much pain when the game ended and every bump to th hospital lol

Back