Would you have swapped this season for the title

Swap?

• Yes

Votes: 342 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 935 73.2%

• Total voters
That’s looking at it in a sensible way, but the memories and buzz of some of the nights and lead up to Seville where priceless!

In a purely football success only = trophies and finances rule sense then definitely the title is more important, however I think for our standing in the game, as a club and as a support this has been a great season, and one we’ll look back fondly of.

True.

But post match Wednesday was the biggest kick in the balls I've ever experienced watching us. It hurt beyond belief.

Losing that final was utterly heartbreaking in a way Manchester just wasn't.

No. Still raw for everyone, but the level of performance in the knock out stages and then THAT atmosphere v Leipzig will live with me forever.

So very close.

No. Not this season. Nor would I have swapped 55 for a Europa final loss. Next season I think I would possibly prefer the league to a europa final loss as well but that is maybe just because I am physically, emotionally and financially drained from Seville!

Yes, I would. Sure there are some great memories to remember on the way to the final, but you don't win a trophy for finishing runners-up.

I voted no, despite all season talking about how vital 56 was to us / the club financially.

I’m pretty sure I know what the directors would vote, a very strong yes.

However, as others have said, this seasons memories will be with me forever. Forever.

Dortmund ties, and we were already punching above our weight. Red Star 50/50 tie won albeit less comfortably than it looked from outside. Braga, a fantastic fight back & a result that didn’t show our dominance at Ibrox. We roasted them.

And then there was the night at Ibrox v Leipzig. For me, the greatest night ever in our stadium, beating Bayern 2.0 in 1972 & also Kiev in 1987.
Just an incredible night & atmosphere that nothing else in life, never mind football, could match. To share that with my son & brother, before, during & after the game, was pretty damn magical.

I didn’t get to Seville, but soaked up the experiences on here, with the bears being absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately our players didn’t peak as they had in the previous ties, but it was an amazing couple of weeks of my life, and will stay with me forever.
The European run was something else this year, not only the progression through the rounds but a Rangers side that looked like it utterly belonged there as well. No lucky wins along the way, we went up against some tough teams and deserved to go through.

The growth of some of the players over the season was a treat to see as well.

I speak to so many fans of English teams and their obsession with “coming fourth” and getting into the Champions League qualifiers… above the idea of winning a domestic cup, of progressing to the latter stages of the Europa League always leaves me wondering why they bother with it all.

The Champions League is great but as a football fan, I’d always want to see my team succeeding and winning things, giving us days & nights to remember.
Finishing 3rd or 4th in the league and then ending up pumped silly in the CL but with no ability or ambition to compete… that just leaves me a bit cold.

I get the league is our bread and butter and we can and will win it often. The experience and run in of the europa league has been quite simply amazing to experience, you can't buy those nights at Ibrox, it was also a great way to end the season with a trophy one that has eluded us for so long. For me I wouldn't swap all that for what would have been our 56th league title as I think we'll win that accolade next season.

The automatic groups would be the only thing making a case for the league.

For the fans and the club getting so Seville will be something we talk about for a long time, the nights in the rounds from Dortmund on are some of the best I’ve been part of at Ibrox.

if we qualify for the groups in the CL then i think you can call the last 2 years a total success, if we don’t get to the groups then it puts a different spin on it.

I’ll echo the minority.

We didn’t win it.

I wouldn’t have swapped title 50 for losing to Porto in Seville 19 years ago so I can’t pretend I value a runners up medal more than a title now

Back in 2003 when they were in Seville my older brother told me that he'd have swapped the title to have been in their position. We won the treble that season and I disagreed with him. I'm being consistent when I say that I'd have swapped getting to Seville for the title.

No.

We enter most seasons with a 50/50 chance of winning the league. We will almost certainly win it within the next couple of years.

It could be decades before we are back in another match of the level of the EL final. Some of our best ever European results were also achieved along the way

For me I would have taken the league.

The negative impact on them and the financial foundation for us would have been massive.

We are now looking at another preseason short on cash and they have a total plan on how much they can spend etc.

I’m not dissing the memories but to not win the EL then for me pure logic states losing the league has set us back-how much time will tell

A daft hypothetical question, but I'm interested to see what people think.

For me it's a straight no, it's maybe raw at the moment due to how gutting last week was, but the European run will live with is all forever.

The games at Ibrox were incredible and I really doubt if Leipzig will be bettered for any of us.

The build up to the final was so surreal, questions in Parliament, the PM giving us a personal good luck message, the numbers travelling, the party atmosphere.

The team and fans have enhanced our reputation across Europe more than any title win could

That's not to say I would want that every season, the league is the priority of course, but I now expect us to be better in Europe, I don't think the latter stages should be beyond us and hopefully this European campaign isn't a one off.

The Scottish Cup was a nice way to round it off, but we all know a Scottish cup isn't a successful domestic season for Rangers
Not a chance

The teams we have beaten the Ibrox atmospheres Seville

Not a chance

The European run was something else this year, not only the progression through the rounds but a Rangers side that looked like it utterly belonged there as well. No lucky wins along the way, we went up against some tough teams and deserved to go through.

The growth of some of the players over the season was a treat to see as well.

I speak to so many fans of English teams and their obsession with “coming fourth” and getting into the Champions League qualifiers… above the idea of winning a domestic cup, of progressing to the latter stages of the Europa League always leaves me wondering why they bother with it all.

The Champions League is great but as a football fan, I’d always want to see my team succeeding and winning things, giving us days & nights to remember.
Finishing 3rd or 4th in the league and then ending up pumped silly in the CL but with no ability or ambition to compete… that just leaves me a bit cold.

We did utterly belong Rab.

We beat every team without penalties, or away goals of course. Apart from Frankfurt of course.

The negative impact on them and the financial foundation for us would have been massive.

We are now looking at another preseason short on cash and they have a total plan on how much they can spend etc.

I’m not dissing the memories but to not win the EL then for me pure logic states losing the league has set us back-how much time will tell
We made a fortune in the EL run this season

This for me. Football has never made me feel like it has this season at times, Dortmund and Braga were brilliant but the night vs Leipzig was surreal, it was absolutely out of this world. Domestically only Helicopter Sunday matches the buzz.

I’m not going to argue that getting to the Europa League final and not winning every season would be better than winning the league, of course not, but in isolation this was an amazing season.
I’m not sure helicopter Sunday beats liezpig for me it doesn’t

It’s the best feeling ive ever had watching rangers. I’m 49

No. Europe is the ultimate test and where we need to be for finance and raising the club’s profile.

The league is one way of unlocking the door to the CL.

This from a fan that lived and breathed 9IAR.

Honestly Aribo scoring in that final is the best moment I've experienced at a game no matter what came after it. I wouldn't swap that for anything.

No, after the RBL home game the excitement among fellow fans was amazing, the feeling and buzz was bigger than what the league title would have brought to us.

It’s a no from me,We won 55 last season we can win 56 next season and add to that in the coming seasons,The chances of getting to another European tournament cup final any time soon is less likely,
It wasn’t just the final the games to reach the final were some of the most exciting games we’ve experienced for years.

Now we've won 55, if you offered me a choice between the league and a Europa League final we have a genuine 50/50 chance of winning, I'd take the final every time.

This season has really driven home how our ambitions have to lie beyond just domestic success.

I understand this viewpoint and the OP is a really difficult question for me at the moment.

When you think about their spending plans however, they're going have to spend a fairly large chunk of their guaranteed income - upwards of £15m probably - just to stand still, by signing Jota and Carter-Vickers (or replacing them).

I'm not convinced we're going to be scraping around for signings given what we'll have earned from our European run - also bearing in mind we're guaranteed a minimum of the EL group stage again next season.

I also think there's a ceiling in Scotland in terms of the quality of signing you can attract, regardless of how much cash you've got. The likes of Kent, Morelos, Aribo, Jota, Carter-Vickers etc. are possibly already it, or pretty close.

It all depends who we keep/sell, but I'm not sure the financial difference of their CL football is going to be as telling as some people think.

Last edited:
No.

Europe is the priority for me. Followed by the league. Always has been. We'll always have another crack at the league title, but the chance of European glory is much rarer.

Manchester and Seville are not only our only finals, they're the only times we've reached the quarters since 1993.
This . And any competitor who says different is lying with envy.

Domestic League Titles for us are 50/50 each year. Great to win and rack them up but if we don’t AND we progress in Europe with experience and more wonga + exciting nights that’s totally fine by me.

Don’t care about the tramps either who keep trotting out ol 67 . It’s losing or has lost its ability to Lord it over anyone any more.
Not the same cup
Not the same league
Not the same qualifying
Not the same anything

I think the game of comparables when they went to a final 2003 , we then went 2009 ,2022 final and all the other good runs while they pissed about in the Scottish league shooting fish in a barrel for the years we weren’t there.They are miles behind.

That’s the standard now. And we are beating them to another final based on the law of probability.We are not cannon fodder anymore.Celtic are. We are the cannonball.

I understand this viewpoint and it's a really difficult question for me at the moment.

When you think about their spending plans however, they're going have to spend a fairly large chunk of their guaranteed income - upwards of £15m probably - just to stand still, by signing Jota and Carter-Vickers (or replacing them).

I'm not convinced we're going to be scraping around for signings given what we'll have earned from our European run - also bearing in mind we're guaranteed a minimum of the EL group stage again next season.

I also think there's a ceiling in Scotland in terms of the quality of signing you can attract, regardless of how much cash you've got. The likes of Kent, Morelos, Aribo, Jota, Carter-Vickers etc. are possibly already it, or pretty close.

It all depends who we keep/sell, but I'm not sure the financial difference of their CL football is going to be as telling as some people think.
I think we’ve now clearly got the bigger rebuild and whether they retain those two is up for debate but I don’t agree on the financial gap the fact the fat Aussie could come in and spend big won them the title.
Building on that will be difficult or tricky for them but they’ve got a core of new signings who have had time to settle -we face a lot of unknowns over our players a few of whom contracts are in a run down situation.
Absolutely agree so many unknowns that debate might be futile but fundamentally disagree that their financial advantage at this stage isn’t a worry-it is

Reactions: TN8
Tough question. Can’t really give a yes or no answer.

Dortmund home and away, Braga and Leipzig at home were a thing of dreams - but it never brought home a trophy. We only have the memories.

The trip to Seville will go down as my greatest away trip. Again, that only resulted in memories and friendships made.

We’ve made a noise in Europe and time will tell if that makes an impact. Let’s see how the qualifiers pan out!?

Champions League football was the target at the start of the season - we failed (not labelling the team failures) on two counts to grab that opportunity.

The emotions and aftermath from that night at Ibrox when we knocked out RB Leipzig will never be experienced again IMO. This time last week we were on our way…

I want that again. The week leading up to Seville I partied and celebrated more than our 55th league title. Seville on match day last a Wednesday was incredible.

Had we won last Wednesday the answer was No.

Right now, it’s yes
I’d go with this.

Right now it feels like a season of what if and so close.

Emotions are high and in time the pragmatic part of me will look back on the EL run and appreciate what an achievement it is, but right at this moment I’d have been smiling a lot more if we’d won the league and had guaranteed that CL spot.

Shows how fine the margins are. If we win on Wednesday it would’ve topped any title win by miles.

Absolutely not. The journey to Seville and being there was a magical experience (the match aside).

I never thought I'd see us at another European final.

If you had asked me at the start of the season, I would say league everytime.

Given what we had experienced the season before with Covid and not getting to domestic games, never mind Europe, I would have to change my mind.

From a personal perspective, the year before was filled with some personal tragedy and loss. It was a difficult time for friends and family, so getting to experience Braga, Leipzig and Seville with the same people was brilliant.

We went so close to winning the whole thing, literally a few kicks away, and for that I’ll always be immensely proud. I lost my Uncle suddenly and I could feel him edging us on in Europe, god knows why but I know he would have been buzzing with every goal and moment.

I wouldn’t swap those experiences and nights for the world, let alone another title that we will pick up again soon.

I have had some of the best nights in my life this season but it's all about delivering trophies for me.

Tough one but ultimately it would have made us the same money if not more so yes I'd swap being a runner up for a title any time.

No.

We enter most seasons with a 50/50 chance of winning the league. We will almost certainly win it within the next couple of years.

It could be decades before we are back in another match of the level of the EL final. Some of our best ever European results were also achieved along the way
Sums it up perfectly for me.

Not at all. Gutted to throw away the league but in 20 years time I will remember Seville whereas I wouldn’t have remembered winning the league.

It's a hard question to answer.

A fair few in this thread have argued "league titles come and go." That's true but I've found losing this title very hard to take because of its significance to both clubs going forward.

Last year we had an enormous gulf between our squad and the scum's squad. I fully expected us to beat Malmo, qualify for the CL and use the CL income to strengthen the squad with top quality players. We would have left the scum in our wake as we took this club back to where it should be financially.

Unfortunately that didn't happen and so this league title became even more important.

On the basis of an average season in isolation, I think getting to the europa final beats winning the league. However when you consider the possible long term impact of gifting them this particular title, it's a very hard call to make.

I would have loved the security of automatic CL qualification knowing the resulting money could have established us as the clear top club in the country for the next few years. We've got a real battle in front of us now and this summer is unbelievably important both in terms of recruitment and in terms of the CL qualifiers.

Every single year we can mount a credible title challenge. Once in possibly a generation we might get a sniff of a good Euro run. I would not have missed this season for anything, even Tims can't celebrate their win as they are totally wrapped up in what we achieved.

Yes

Direct entry to Champions League and put massive pressure on their new appointments

If you don't win the trophies the journey doesn't matter
This^
For as much as this seasons Euro run will be remembered, a league win and automatic CL qualification trumps it.
Our Euro run possibly gifted them the league though when you look at some our Sunday results on the back of Thursday night games.

A difficult one to answer at the moment in all honest. In the main I would say "no". Was too much of an achievement to get to the Europa final vs. winning the league.

What I would have rather was we just had both. :))

A European final ,with Europe wide attention and plaudits galore
My clubs European CV being updated

No chance I'd change it

I think it's an absolute positive the majority feel like this. I do hope this isn't another one of those temporary opinions that if things get sticky early on next season this achievement is forgotten.

The paint wasn't dry on the 55 I painted on my Tim neighbours garden wall before SG was getting heavy pelters on here. Just saying.

Voted No.

I'm disappointed about the League, but our Europa League run and reaching the Final makes me proud. Gutted we never won it, so close.

Winning the Scottish Cup cheered me up.

Looking forward to next season and what it brings.

Back