Your Best and Worst Moments Supporting Rangers

MikeRennick

Best - easy. May 2 1999. The huddle performed at the piggery. Sent the mhanky mob incandescent with irritation. Their team exposed as an indisciplined rabble on the pitch, with class and quality all through the Rangers team. It was a statement game, where you just know the opposition had been put in their place, patted on the head and told "Right ye are. Just sitting down again" and they knew it.

I don't remember anything of that night or the bank holiday the next day. I woke up in Airdrie.:D

Worst - again, easy. April 27 2008. Thankfully wasn't even in the country for it. But I was on a train in London with a work colleague who supports Smeltic. I got a text message from the missus telling me we were 2-1 up and she would text me back if there was any change to that. So my arse was knitting buttons for the next hour. My mentally challenged colleague was all doom and gloom, dragging his feet through the London streets as we went into a pub for a quick pint. I said "I'll buy, since I'm celebrating". Barman says "Celebrating what?" I made a complete fool of myself, declaring that the mighty Rangers had finally smote the begghars. The big lad looked at me pure stoney-faced and said "I'm sorry mate. Celtic won 3-2". I have never felt more crushed in all my life. The wee poet I was with still expected me to pay for the drinks! Apparently the wife's phone had crashed straight after sending me the 2-1 text........:(

Best - easy. May 2 1999. The huddle performed at the piggery. Sent the mhanky mob incandescent with irritation. Their team exposed as an indisciplined rabble on the pitch, with class and quality all through the Rangers team. It was a statement game, where you just know the opposition had been put in their place, patted on the head and told "Right ye are. Just sitting down again" and they knew it.

I don't remember anything of that night or the bank holiday the next day. I woke up in Airdrie.:D

Worst - again, easy. April 27 2008. Thankfully wasn't even in the country for it. But I was on a train in London with a work colleague who supports Smeltic. I got a text message from the missus telling me we were 2-1 up and she would text me back if there was any change to that. So my arse was knitting buttons for the next hour. My mentally challenged colleague was all doom and gloom, dragging his feet through the London streets as we went into a pub for a quick pint. I said "I'll buy, since I'm celebrating". Barman says "Celebrating what?" I made a complete fool of myself, declaring that the mighty Rangers had finally smote the begghars. The big lad looked at me pure stoney-faced and said "I'm sorry mate. Celtic won 3-2". I have never felt more crushed in all my life. The wee poet I was with still expected me to pay for the drinks! Apparently the wife's phone had crashed straight after sending me the 2-1 text........:(
The bank holiday after that title win at the piggery I went to Annie millers the next day for a curer,a few regulars in the pub suggested everybody in the pub chipped in for a cargo & a fitbaw & head to the Glasgow green!
Some guy called ‘sauce’ appeared with a rangers ball so off to the green we went for a kick about and some cans in the sunshine. Happy days

The bank holiday after that title win at the piggery I went to Annie millers the next day for a curer,a few regulars in the pub suggested everybody in the pub chipped in for a cargo & a fitbaw & head to the Glasgow green!
Some guy called ‘sauce’ appeared with a rangers ball so off to the green we went for a kick about and some cans in the sunshine. Happy days

Cans on the green!!! Yaaaaasss!!!!!

Best
Beating the filth 3-0 to win the league at Parkhead.
Lovenkrands final.
Helicopter Sunday
Rangers 2 Juventus 0

Worst
Feb 14th 2012

Worst: 29th April 2012. I just knew we were about to fall off a Cliff and it just seemed like such a long journey in front of us, back to where we belonged. We're not there yet but we will be.

Best: Helicopter Sunday. That was beautiful.

I 'll never forget helicopter Sunday.Building a extension someone said the mhanks were up 1-0.In my mind that was it the bastards won the title.Went home the wife turned on the telly setanta just as McDonald scored for Motherwell.Ive never shat myself as much in my life.He scored again and I started shaking like f uck with nerves in case hibs scored,but it was soon over and I was delirious.

For me, the best was probably the same as a few others - the Fiorentina game. Actually that night, and the two weeks that followed were the best days of my life. I have never been so happy. We were in the final and I fully expected to win. Also, I got a new job and got engaged so my life was perfect. Its hard to believe after all that has happened since then that it was less than 10 years ago.

The worst was just after Craig Whyte came in. I was out for dinner with a few folk from my work and he was sitting at a nearby table. He was sitting with a few people but they all disappeared at one point, so me and one of the girls went over to speak to him. He was kind of flirting with us and he was still one of the good guys at the time (or so I thought), so I asked him to sign my tits. He politely declined so I got him to sign a napkin instead. I kept the napkin for a while but threw it out when it became clear that whyte was a dick. I'll be embarrassed about this for the rest of my life. :(

For me, the best was probably the same as a few others - the Fiorentina game. Actually that night, and the two weeks that followed were the best days of my life. I have never been so happy. We were in the final and I fully expected to win. Also, I got a new job and got engaged so my life was perfect. Its hard to believe after all that has happened since then that it was less than 10 years ago.

The worst was just after Craig Whyte came in. I was out for dinner with a few folk from my work and he was sitting at a nearby table. He was sitting with a few people but they all disappeared at one point, so me and one of the girls went over to speak to him. He was kind of flirting with us and he was still one of the good guys at the time (or so I thought), so I asked him to sign my tits. He politely declined so I got him to sign a napkin instead. I kept the napkin for a while but threw it out when it became clear that whyte was a dick. I'll be embarrassed about this for the rest of my life. :(
Asked Craig Whyte to sign your tits:p:D

Best - The penalty shoot out away in Florence. Never felt emotion like it before or since, was like an out of body experience.

Worst 2012, went from one nightmare to the next...kept thinking it cant get any worse...then it did

My best point has to be 2002, Lovenkrands header in the last minute. It was a moment that will live me forever. Watched it in the pub and as soon as McCann put the cross in and it touched Lovenkrands head I instantly started celebrating before anyone else, I don’t know how but I knew that that was going to go into the back of the net and it did. Magical moment.

Don’t get me wrong there are other great moments such as May1999, NIAR, Florence and even during Warburtons time here when we beat them on penalties when we were at one of our lowest points, that was bliss. It was a GIRFUY moment to them.

Sadly our lowest has to be Feb 2012.

Best anytime we beat them, or a good European victory, Worst obviously the last 5 years but on the park, Manchester and the anti climax, but even worse was the Saturday after Manchester and drawing at Motherwell after leading and Cousin missing an open goal to make it 2, I will never forget myself and my young boy walking back to the car after that game.

Fiorentina is there but Helicopter Sunday was truly astonishing. Big Marv trusting god with his knee, losing the league at Ibrox but then the miracle of those two goals. Fairy tale stuff.

6-2 was hard to take, a few months earlier I thought we had them buried and would go for 10 again.

Worst ..the Ibrox Disaster..i was at that game.

Our collapse thanks to LLoyds and Murray giving googly eyes our title deeds and soul.

Football wise..Berwick Rangers,Gornik Zabre,Juventus thrashing us

Our best...Ritchie,Shearer,Caldow.....that team

that left flank... Caldow,Baxter,Wilson....Millar and brand upfront.

Greig and Mc Millan.

The enlightenment begun by DM which unfortunately turned so very sour ..but they were sinply the best times while it lasted.

Helicopter Sunday....

Last edited:
Worst: sitting in a hotel room in Tirana as the 'in administration' texts started coming.
Best: helicopter Sunday, of course.

Best Florence, Helicopter Sunday’s 9IAR even though I was only young can remember my dad coming home from game scarf around his head and dancing in the street.

Worst - Feb 14th can still remember where I was getting my hair cut and phone going constantly to ask me if Incas head the news. UEFA cup final was also a low point game only the whole day and being there was amazing

For every Rangers fan, the events of 2012 should be the worst but on the pitch for me it was when we failed to get to the Champions League Final in 1993. The cheating French fuckers cost us the chance of a lifetime.
The best for me was against Fiorentina, closely followed by Helicopter Sunday

Best: Manchester
Worst: Manchester

I'd go with that....would also throw in the feeling when nacho buried that penalty. Incredible for the generation of bears who had never seen us in a European final nor really believed we would ever get to one

to be fair, rangers signed a lot of tits around that time, and they still are

Fiorentina is there but Helicopter Sunday was truly astonishing. Big Marv trusting god with his knee, losing the league at Ibrox but then the miracle of those two goals. Fairy tale stuff.

6-2 was hard to take, a few months earlier I thought we had them buried and would go for 10 again.

6-2 hit me hard too.
Mainly because it was never a 6-2 game. We actually played well in the game.

Piss poor refereeing killed us that day. (surprise, surprise)

Worst moment was the 1957 League cup final.Scum won 7-1.i can still reel off the team that let us down
that day,and I still have nightmares.:p
Best moment ? To many to choose(all victories against the Scum)
In recent years the one that really got me going was Edu's last minute winner a couple of years back.

Worst - 1998 and not getting 10 in a row.

Best - That's still to come #55.

Nothing will top that feeling when it comes. I fully plan on destroying myself through booze when it does.

Until then, for me, the best was winning the league at parkhead in 99 and McCann rounding Kerr to make it 3-0.

Worst was the events of 2012.

Last edited:
Nothing will top that feeling when it comes. I fully plan on destroying myself through booze when it does.

Until then, for me, the best was winning the league at the piggery in 99 and McCann rounding Kerr to make it 3-0.

Worst was the events of 2012.

Very valid my friend.

Helicopter Sunday - I remember nearly crashing the car when McDonald scored - jumped out on the kingsway in Dundee and started dancing on the grass verge beside the walkway ..... got back into the car he scored
Again so I got out and ran up the walkway and started fist pumping at the top. People must have thought I was nuts! Went out on the pish that night!

Also when we won the league by beating Dunfermline! I lost my virginity to my gf at the time just as arteta slotted in the penalty. Best 3 mins of my life - for some reason she had Steven Thompson on the back of her Gers top haha weird choice

Worst was administration, league demotion , thinking we were finished

Love rangers - wouldn't change them for anything

Best - the original helicopter Sunday/ wee Nacho's penalty in Florence/ 7 minutes in Killie. All of which I followed on the radio bizarrely - maybe that's a sign?

Worst- coming out a work course to a text saying we were in administration. The following 5 years by and large haven't exactly been great either

The best moment was waking up this morning and realising that I am still supporting the greatest club in the world.
I hope I am fortunate to continue for some years yet.

Worst Berwick and the aftermath.
It probably cost us a league and a European trophy and eventually a manager, and dramatically changed the course of Scottish football history.

Many bests. A lot of them being in the last few years - all fan related. Fiorentina of course. Many many others

The worst, probably the cup final against raith. The performance. Daly (no dig at him) playing given he couldn’t run. The ‘party’ after. M

Disgraceful.

Best: My first old firm cup final was the Lovenkrands final, amazing feeling.

Worst: The day we went into administration.

Worst losing in extra time to Bayern in 1967. Best 1973 Centenary Cup Final. Big Tam,s goal. Cup presented to Greigy by Princess Alexandra

Best is a toss up between the following:
Helicopter Sunday
League win v Dunfermline
Beating them at Parkhead in 1999
The Leeds games

Worst:
2012 by a country mile

I’ll stick to events on the field.

Best: my first game, Kilmarnock 1963

Worst: losing 4-2 at the Piggery in 1979.

Must just be me but I internally crush the bad moments and literally do not remember a lot of them. A fantastic coping mechanism. :D The obvious one is the uncertainty after Feb 2012. That was awful. It was actually such a huge boost and high point to see us again against Peterhead and then Brechin in 2012. I feared the worst and felt such elation when we played again. That was what it was all about.

Highs? So fucking many. More than any other fan from any other team will be lucky to see the half of.

Best was winning the title at Easter Rd in 1975. It’s hard to describe the emotions of winning the title for a decade. The atmosphere that day was the best I’ve ever experienced

Worst was at the piggery at the game we lost 4-2 and the title to a ten man Tim side despite hav8ng the lead and knowing a draw would have done us. A promising debut season for John Gregg as manager crumbled before our eyes in that game and would never recover from it. I’ve never felt more hurt losing a football game than on that occasion

(I’ve limited this to on field results since that’s how I read the question)

Last edited:
Best for me was the 2011 league win. I was so nervous we were going to blow it that season.

Worst probably the 5-1 game at Ibrox last season. That was worse than most. Strangely I can't really remember how I felt in February 2012.

Best for me was the 2011 league win. I was so nervous we were going to blow it that season.

Worst probably the 5-1 game at Ibrox last season. That was worse than most. Strangely I can't really remember how I felt in February 2012.

Yes that was possibly the most horrendous. Griffiths nearly blows the roof out the net, Boyata scores from 3 yards out and Lustig just wanders through our defence and picks his spot, creating an iconic image for dhims with his jersey over-the-head routine. "McGregor can't find the space...yes he can" fucking hell.....

Purely on field... and games I have been at...

The 3-0 up in 7 mins away at killie.
Edu's last min winner.
Tom Rogic

Leaving Ibrox at 0-4
Hibs SC final
Luxembourg

Back