Your favourite Walter Smith moment.

For me it was actually his final game at Rugby Park in 2011.

To go out on a high like that, to end his career and 25 year association with the club with one of the hardest fought titles in our history really felt like poetic justice and I was absolutely thrilled for him above all else, especially when remembering the double disappointment he endured when departing the club first time around.

And speaking of poetic justice, it was fitting that despite his illness he lived to see us reclaim our position at the top of the Scottish game when clinching 55, and it will be even more so when 56 is dedicated to his memory come next May.

God rest your soul, Walter.

Devastated by this news, as you can tell by my name and avatar he was my hero growing up watching all the old tapes from the 90s and listening to my dads stories.. then seeing it in the flesh during his second spell.

My fav moment was the 9 men league cup final v st Mirren. I was there that day and like others said even down to 9 I still believed and that was purely down to Walter.

During the banter years, his 2011 title felt like he exhausted every last ounce of strength to keep us at the top before the great collapse. The question was, would it be enough? Did he do enough to preserve the 9 he fought so hard for? It was on my mind for so long. Turned out it was enough, and I'm so glad he lived to see it.

League cup final 9 man against St Mirren was at the game and will live with me forever.

Might even give it another full watch on tv in the next few days.

Don’t think I’ve heard noise or felt so much emotional at a game like it when the goal went in and seeing Walter celebrating it in the highlights literally was the feeling in the stands as well, what a buzz.

So many to choose from. I will go for the game where Edu scored in the last minute to win the game. It was huge game. It didn’t mathematically win us the league but everyone knew if we won we would be nearly there. Smith brought out the big guns and filled the directors box with Alex Ferguson, Souness and big Eck. They were front and centre. To me that was clever and sent a message to everyone that we were confident. I am reliably told, Ferguson included, they all celebrated just as wildly as everyone of us when the winner went in.

Rest in peace Walter, I cannot thank you enough for the memories you gave us

Florence and Manchester stand out for me.

But generally, I moved to Glasgow for 4 years in 2008 which dovetailed pretty nicely with our success during his second spell. Had some brilliant times following his team during those years.

I like them all but I like Mixu trying to hide from him behind the police. So funny and you just know The Gaffer did it to get a reaction on the pitch.

Far too many memories too mention but one I was reminded of today was the coin toss with Joe Jordan to decide the venue for the LC semi in September 1993,this was done on live radio and Walter done big Joe up like a kipper,Jordan won the toss but Walter quick as a flash said “no that was just to see who got the call” Joe Jordan & the radio guy fell for it,Walter won the 2nd toss so the semi was played at Ibrox and the rest as they say is history(another win over the tims with 10 men)

Signing Gascoigne and Laudrup, loads more great players I know but those two were really special for anyone around my age.

Back