Gerrard's interview with Carragher

When he left I instantly despised him for the way it happened but watching the Leicester v Villa game earlier I realised I held no ill will towards him anymore. Glad for what he done for us & hope he does well now

I gave him a free pass his first season but was expecting the league the 2nd season. Expected a treble last season as it went on but, well, the biggesr teams in the league knocked us out.
How generous of you to give a man who's inheriting a squad of duds, with very little in the way of a coaching and professional set up, that finished in 3rd place one season to turn it all around against a club with nearly a decades worth of squad building and financial advantage to overtake. Are you aware of how delusional it sounds for a club to overtake another with such a significant financial advantage after a decade of mismanagement either bordering on or actively being criminal in two years? Because I'm still trying to get my head around it happening in 3. As are they. Which is why this 1/9 thing is such a comfort blanket for them and as above, why it's parroted by the entitled and or dense.

Yes by idiots. Probably the same idiots doing the jilted teenage lassie routine. If a manager is pish, we call for his head and move on. Not much loyalty in that is there? So we need to accept if they're good then they might attract attention.

Another thing this is proving to me is that there is a significant element of our fanbase who simply will not be able to handle us as a selling club.
I agree mate we need to be selling club but saying people are like jilted teenagers is not right

He left between a semi final and a important European game

Yes, by idiots. Probably the same idiots doing the jilted teenage lassie routine. If a manager is pish, we call for his head and move on. Not much loyalty in that is there? So we also need to accept if they're good then they might attract attention.

Another thing this is proving to me is that there is a significant element of our fanbase who simply will not be able to handle us as a selling club.
The threads on here about how we should've sold Morelos to Lille are great for bringing in those with amazing powers of hindsight.

Although he regained the 'Oomph' factor for the club for which we should all be grateful for, I now feel indifferent to him, OK he left us in the lurch but, and in my opinion, has done us a great service by jumping ship as we now have a vastly superior manager in Gio.

B-DB-DB-DB-D

They'd have been calling him a rat and hoping he never scored again!
No they'd be saying we should've held out for £30 million.

They're saying now we're stupid to have held out at whatever it was, but if the circumstances were changed, they would be reacting with it to continue being miserable whatever it takes.

It was clearly just a job for him up here, people would be wise to move on as Gerrard obviously has, I'm quite happy with the new Manager as he seems an upgrade and I thank Gerrard for last season :)
Best statement I’ve heard. I’m upset because of the way he proclaimed he had bought into rangers etc only to see it was all BS. For me, he’s not a “once a ranger, always a ranger “ only a mercenary figure but I thank him for what he did and happy to know the truth and move on now

How generous of you to give a man who's inheriting a squad of duds, with very little in the way of a coaching and professional set up, that finished in 3rd place one season to turn it all around against a club with nearly a decades worth of squad building and financial advantage to overtake.

How generous of you to give a man who's inheriting a squad of duds, with very little in the way of a coaching and professional set up, that finished in 3rd place one season to turn it all around against a club with nearly a decades worth of squad building and financial advantage to overtake. Are you aware of how delusional it sounds for a club to overtake another with such a significant financial advantage after a decade of mismanagement either bordering on or actively being criminal in two years? Because I'm still trying to get my head around it happening in 3. As are they. Which is why this 1/9 thing is such a comfort blanket for them and as above, why it's parroted by the entitled and or dense.
Was it delusional to think we'd win the league back in December 2019 after beating them at the piggery in Gerrard's 2nd season?

Also, how many times did that almighty Celtic side put us out of the cups? Once was it? Out of 6?

You're justification for failure is staggering. We couldn't over come Celtic because of finances but its perfectly acceptable that Aberdeen twice, Hearts, St Mirren and St J put us out of the cups after spending next to nothing.

Was it delusional to think we'd win the league back in December 2019 after beating them at the piggery in Gerrard's 2nd season?

Also, how many times did that almighty Celtic side put us out of the cups? Once was it? Out of 6?

You're justification for failure is staggering. We couldn't over come Celtic because of finances but its perfectly acceptable that Aberdeen twice, Hearts, St Mirren and St J put us out of the cups after spending next to nothing.
I think from memory prior to 2012, we only won a double or treble on average once every 6 years. Even if Gerrard had stayed, he'd still have got one or two goes at it before he failed the historical average. The idea that it's required is quite simply stupid.

Still can’t believe some of the hate for Gerrard. Did you think he would be here for the next 20 years: yes it was bad timing, but we all knew he would leave at some point. That’s football. We now have Gio and I am delighted with him, we move on. To call him “ scouse rate bastards “ is a bit like the Celtic way in my view.

I was disappointed at his midnight flitting but I`m more than happy at Ranger's response. Steven is gone and Gio is here. The past is the past, the present and the future are more important. I genuinely think we have got the better deal. Best of luck to him and all the backroom guys Villa but my interest will always be Rangers and we move onwards and upwards.
Done us a favour in retrospect and Gio just breathes new life into the team and I'm convinced we'll kick on. Heavy heart my arse,lol.

I think from memory prior to 2012, we only won a double or treble on average once every 6 years.
Interesting.

Walter got 4 doubles in a row in his second spell, Eck got a double 04/05, a treble 02/03 and a double 01/02. That's 7 doubles between 2001 and 2011.

From the 90's onwards a league winning manager more often that not wins a double. Only in 6 seasons out of the last 23 has a league winning manager failed to win a double.

Interesting.

Walter got 4 doubles in a row in his second spell, Eck got a double 04/05, a treble 02/03 and a double 01/02. That's 7 doubles between 2001 and 2011.

From the 90's onwards a league winning manager more often that not wins a double. Only in 6 seasons out of the last 23 has a league winning manager failed to win a double.
So that'd be 7 in 21 years? I still think it holds true going back to the introduction of the league/cups.

Tommies' WW2 tin hat on here. Don't get me wrong I was very disappointed and angry in the way and timing of Gerrard leaving us. However, 30 years ago a lot of us oldies were thinking and saying the same about Souness back in 1991, when he quit for what he thought was the greater job, and that was well before social media was available. Thank goodness a very capable Rangers man called Walter Smith, RIP took the reins.

However, Souness left in the way he did and is absoultely revered on here! Time is somewhat a healer. Maybe attitudes may ease a little. My emotions are still mixed but I thank Gerrard for assisting us in 55, getting great results against Timbo and restoring some European pride following the banter years.

We have to accept the old adage that 'we are a big fish in a small pond!. However, we laughed and ridiculed when Rodgers left Timbo, so let's not be too hypocritical or hard on Gerrard. I expect GvB to go on to greater things hopefully better than Gerrard. However in 3 years time he will probably move to e.g Arsenal.and I will.be angry again but not surprised.

I honestly don't envisage another dedicated 'thru and thru' Rangers man like Walter Smith managing us in my.lifetime anyway. Depressing as it seems, we are a stepping stone club for players and managers who think they can go on better things.

Last edited:
I'm not watching it, for me Gerrard was a good manager, helped us restore our name in Europe and to our 55th title.

If I watch these videos and clips, I have no doubt I will start to think he's a bellend and I would rather just avoid that.

Was the right man at the right time to put us back on top. The wheels were about to come off so I'm glad we got Gio in. Gerrard has made a good start at Villa, hopefully he does well.

Ffs of course it was better then helicopter sunday

Is it wrong to want more in 3 years
If we were offered one title when he took over we would have grabbed it with both hands. We were a shambles of a club when he took over with no plan of how to recover. He was a massive gamble that helped to rebuild the club and won the only trophy that mattered. It’s now time to kick on

Out of interest, do you think we didn't have a free hit at the treble last season?
No but then I'm sensible enough to realize there's no such thing as a free hit at winning three competitions in professional football. There's a reason Celtic didn't win a treble every year since our demotion.

Then maybe don’t watch it then? :D

Cheers for posting OP. Disappointed in Gerrard leaving but my feelings have eased over the past few weeks. Starting to think it was best for both parties that we went our separate ways… can’t deny he done a good job though, we’re light years ahead of where we were when he took over.
With no Gerrard there would be no Gio, but by %^*& it doesn’t half look like this change will benefit Rangers. Which is all we really care about

If we were offered one title when he took over we would have grabbed it with both hands. We were a shambles of a club when he took over with no plan of how to recover. He was a massive gamble that helped to rebuild the club and won the only trophy that mattered. It’s now time to kick on
I agree we were a shambles he took us back to where we belong

I just don't see what's wrong with expecting more silverware considering he was heavily backed

Then maybe don’t watch it then? :D

Cheers for posting OP. Disappointed in Gerrard leaving but my feelings have eased over the past few weeks. Starting to think it was best for both parties that we went our separate ways… can’t deny he done a good job though, we’re light years ahead of where we were when he took over.
We won a watch when we signed Gerrard. Exactly what we needed at the time.

But we won a Rolex when he decided to leave. £5m in the bank and a (what looks like) better manager.

If you look back now we had no chance of the league his first two seasons. It took last summers Hagi and Roofe game changers to get us to a league winning level. It sounds in this interview that he ignored his remit at times and had his tunnel vision on the league. Given how we have picked up since he left my anger and hurt have dropped. That he’s went to Villa and won 3 outta 4 only looks good for what he learned at us. Souness left us at a far more crucial time, in time the hatred for Gerrard will pass as well. He’s no Walter, Eck or Advocat but he won us a league and for that as a Ranger keeps my respect

No but then I'm sensible enough to realize there's no such thing as a free hit at winning three competitions in professional football. There's a reason Celtic didn't win a treble every year since our demotion.
I'll rephrase that then out of respect for St Mirren and St Johnstone.

Is it a failure not winning at least a double last season considering we were eliminated from the Scottish cup by St Johnstone at Ibrox, well after we had won the league, out of Europe and we had just knocked the tims out? Was it too much to ask to beat St Johnstone after all of that at home?

Is it a failure not winning at least a double last season considering we were eliminated from the Scottish cup by St Johnstone at Ibrox, well after we had won the league, out of Europe and we had just knocked the tims out? Was it too much to ask to beat St Johnstone after all of that at home?
Not Gerard’s fault. The players in the pitch take the blame for both st mirren and at Johnston games. He can’t legislate for the shite defending in last minute of both games

Not Gerard’s fault. The players in the pitch take the blame for both st mirren and at Johnston games. He can’t legislate for the shite defending in last minute of both games
Shite defending at the last minute had been a theme under Gerrard since his very first league game.

Did winning a couple double in 2008 while losing in Manchester and in the league feel like a success to you?

shrug-alan-partridge.gif

Are we going to have a thread every time Gerrard farts? Let it go, people.
It's tedious, we have a new manager now but some folk are still obsessed with our past manager its a joke.

Ironically, I think a lot of Rangers fans underestimated how much Gerrard wants to manage Liverpool.

Rangers have given Gerrard a lot - the expectations that come with managing a big club, European football, intense media scrutiny - but one thing that it won't have given him is, on a weekly basis, going up against some of the best managers and footballers in the world. At the same time he was up against Pep and his Man City team, we were up against the managerial genius that is Jack Ross. It's hardly comparable.

Managing Villa before Liverpool puts him in a much better position than if he'd went straight there from Rangers, which, I'm sure we all agree, was never, ever going to happen.

Back