Gerrard's interview with Carragher

The timing was just right imo.
We are still 4 points the better in the league and now in the next round of europe .
Big compensation money, and fresh ideas.
Done us a favour.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.
I value progress in Europe and winning the league over the domestic cups. I think I've given a good example of when we won both cups but failed to win the two we all really care about. I think the way Celtic fans behaved in response to their quadruple treble team being overtaken highlights that disconnect.
Ironically, I think a lot of Rangers fans underestimated how much Gerrard wants to manage Liverpool.

Rangers have given Gerrard a lot - the expectations that come with managing a big club, European football, intense media scrutiny - but one thing that it won't have given him is, on a weekly basis, going up against some of the best managers and footballers in the world. At the same time he was up against Pep and his Man City team, we were up against the managerial genius that is Jack Ross. It's hardly comparable.

Managing Villa before Liverpool puts him in a much better position than if he'd went straight there from Rangers, which, I'm sure we all agree, was never, ever going to happen.
I disagree entirely. Lampard got the Chelsea job based on who he was (over his time at Derby) and likewise Arteta at Arsenal and Solskjaer at Man United.

I disagree entirely. Lampard got the Chelsea job based on who he was (over his time at Derby) and likewise Arteta at Arsenal and Solskjaer at Man United.

None of whom get/got pass marks. A few years at Villa will put him in a better position to succeed than these three, appointed to high managerial jobs with limited experience (and in Arteta's case, none at all).

Obviously not happy about the way he left but he gave us some good times, GVB is the man now and he's started well, hopefully that continues and we go onto even better times

I value progress in Europe and winning the league over the domestic cups.
So was it a failure not winning a double after the league was well won, we were OUT of Europe and had just knocked out the tims? Its really not a hard question.

I know the answer but its quite telling how much you're willing to dodge the question purely because it highlights how much of a failure in the cups we were and we can't be admitting that now can we.

None of whom get/got pass marks. A few years at Villa will put him in a better position to succeed than these three, appointing to high managerial jobs with limited (and in MK's case, no) experience.
You're right they've all failed but I think 3/4 of the biggest teams in England giving players jobs because of who they were in their playing career within the past 5 years or so goes against the idea of Gerrard being unable to go from Rangers to Liverpool.

So was it a failure not winning a double after the league was well won, we were OUT of Europe and had just knocked out the tims? Its really not a hard question.

I know the answer but its quite telling how much you're willing to dodge the question purely because it highlights how much of a failure in the cups we were and we can't be admitting that now can we.
It must be miserable going through life with that attitude. Good luck to you.

He basically said he wanted to get back to the premier League. Fair enough.

If we're honest with ourselves, things were going stale. Our season looks to have turned a corner and we might be stronger because of it.

He won 55. He'll be a rangers hero (one step below legend) for that reason.

He basically said he wanted to get back to the premier League. Fair enough.

If we're honest with ourselves, things were going stale. Our season looks to have turned a corner and we might be stronger because of it.

He won 55. He'll be a rangers hero (one step below legend) for that reason.
If he was desperate to go to epl why make a lady's front bottom of emna dodds when she quizzed him

You're right they've all failed but I think 3/4 of the biggest teams in England giving players jobs because of who they were in their playing career within the past 5 years or so goes against the idea of Gerrard being unable to go from Rangers to Liverpool.

True, but I think a lot of those appointments says a lot about the nature of these clubs - eg - completely rudderless, incompetent and lacking in any long-term plans. They also all had much more extensive experience of coaching in English football. OGS had done it before, Arteta worked with Pep and Lampard had a solid season with Derby. Gerrard will be noting all of this and be keen to avoid it happening to him.

If he was desperate to go to epl why make a lady's front bottom of emna dodds when she quizzed him

Yes, he should have said that whilst he wasn’t going to Newcastle, he was open to going anywhere else in the EPL.

And you would definitely have been emotionally and intellectually mature enough to handle that response.

You and your wee cheerleader albop not coming across well at all
Cheerleader Hahaha because im not getting in line with gerrard is a legend

You think treating emma dodds like that was great

You roll on
Get a season ticket for villa to see your hero
I want the best for rangers nit a scouse mercenary

People move on, they always will. If we want our financial model to work, we have to get used to big names leaving for the premiership and banking compensation. He was good for us, and we were good for him. It had kind of run its course in the end. No hard feelings from me.

People were off their heads in thinking he'd walk from managing Rangers straight into managing Liverpool without doing something else in between. He was never going to go abroad to work either, which left him with only a few options really.

Ultimately, I'm glad he's gone and wish him well in the future. We were going stale. The schtick was becoming all too familiar and the levels had dropped this season. A fresh impetus was needed for both parties I reckon. Also he felt he'd achieved what he set out to achieve. Which is fair enough.

I think people need to get used to the idea that we'll lose managers to bigger and richer leagues moving forward. Unless you appoint a Scots/British coach that is a diehard Rangers fan, you'll always have that desire to move to pastures new lingering in the background. Even our current coach has stated previously that he wants to manage all the teams he's played for. We aren't a final destination club for a lot of managers, much in the same way we aren't seen as the final destination for a lot of players either. Nature of the game now.

Thought he spoke well here tbh, still holds us in high regards and accepts the timing was what hurt the most.

Still a dick for leaving the way he did.

But as I have always said - he's a good manager and I'm not shocked to see him do well in the EPL. Thank you for 55.

Now we have Gio who is more experienced and doing well. We move on, he moves on. Memories made, history written but it's time to focus on the future.

From today incase anyone missed it

1. Interview was staged, those questions were asked several times until Gerrard was happy with them. Both for Rangers and Villa.

2. The 10 in a row shit, he can %^*& off, am I the only one who really believes in the 55 mantra. Only saw celtic fans talking about the 10, literally, it was all about 55. And I’m disappointed he never said that.

3. I seen him on the verge of crying, if not holding back tears when discussing his exit just a few days ago. (I believe this is a family decision, not a football one)

4. Him and Carragher played Rodgers like a fiddle ahead of today's game.

5. If he was really worried about “the timing” and never getting the chance again, then he wasn’t confident in succeeding. (We don’t sack managers, so he fell short there)

6. He told ¾ of a truth in saying it was a selfish decision, he said it was all about him, so fair play, but it was his family me thinks..

7. I’d love to know how facilities and squad compare, we’ll likely never know, but it’s a question I’d like asked in 10 years time.

8. He knows he’s took a backwards step on somewhere around 20 of 25 levels.
Family, league, spending money, Wage and future options being the benefits.
And he knows the Villa fans are well behind us in terms of passion.

9. A press conference last week saw him almost crying at leaving, this is calculated, he’s left love for a work goal.

10. I’ve went from looking at his first 5 games and thinking and hoping he’d lose all 5, to wishing them the winner and to hold on today. My heart isn’t in to disliking him, as much as I’d like to.

11. If Gio can hate the dark side, and learn quickly how much they hate us (he seen it in his playing career) then I’ve no fear we will improve!

12. There was a 12, but my memory isn’t what it was. Or was it ever? I can’t remember.

We’ve done ok out of the last couple of months. It’s worked out fine.

Would we have taken SG over GVB three and a half years ago? Almost certainly no. But GBV wasn’t available then.

Life is good/ok/fine if you fall in a bucket of crap and come out covered in honey.

In my view, that’s what we’ve done.

We are now in a better place than a couple of months ago.

The future looks a lot better now. In fact, it’s looking pretty good.

:)

1. Interview was staged, those questions were asked several times until Gerrard was happy with them. Both for Rangers and Villa.

2. The 10 in a row shit, he can %^*& off, am I the only one who really believes in the 55 mantra. Only saw celtic fans talking about the 10, literally, it was all about 55. And I’m disappointed he never said that.

3. I seen him on the verge of crying, if not holding back tears when discussing his exit just a few days ago. (I believe this is a family decision, not a football one)

5. If he was really worried about “the timing” and never getting the chance again, then he wasn’t confident in succeeding. (We don’t sack managers, so he fell short there)

6. He told ¾ of a truth in saying it was a selfish decision, he said it was all about him, so fair play, but it was his family me thinks..

7. I’d love to know how facilities and squad compare, we’ll likely never know, but it’s a question I’d like asked in 10 years time.

8. He knows he’s took a backwards stp on somewhere around 20 of 25 levels, family, league, spending money, Wage and future top window. And he knows the Villa fans are well behind us.

9. A press conference last week saw him almost crying at leaving, this is calculated, he’s left love for a work goal.

10. I’ve went from looking at his first 5 games and thinking and hoping he’d lose all 5, to wishing them the winner and to hold on today. My heart isn’t in to disliking him, as much as I’d like to.

11. If Gio can hate the dark side, and learn quickly how much they hate us (he seen it in his playing career) then I’ve no fear we will improve!

12. There was a 12, but my memory isn’t what it was. Or was it ever? I can’t remember.
Gd summary if im honest

Disagree

The majority of our fans had that view IMO. Winning 55 before they won 9.75 would rank highly on the fans views on importance.

Whoever lost the 9.75 in a row season was 99% getting sacked. I don't think you can understate the importance when that's the case.

Im now of the opinion I want him to do well as it then reflects well on the job he did up here aswell. The better people do up here then succeed in the most over rated league in the world. The more realistic it is that we get good money for our players.

Other than that Im a bit indifferent to him now. If he had left on better terms id be following his managerial career a bit closer. Christ there was bears going down every week to watch Clint Hill once he left. He had a chance to be idolised for ever. His loss. We have moved on in spectacular fashion.

With no Gerrard there would be no Gio, but by %^*& it doesn’t half look like this change will benefit Rangers. Which is all we really care about

This is it.

The Club is in a far better place, on-and-off the field, and Gerrard played a hugely significant role in those improvements. He was what the Club needed at the time.

Playing down his contribution is part of an odd yahoo narrative.

If Gio does well, there’s a good chance we’ll see him move on within 3 years.

Disagree

The majority of our fans had that view IMO. Winning 55 before they won 9.75 would rank highly on the fans views on importance.

Whoever lost the 9.75 in a row season was 99% getting sacked. I don't think you can understate the importance when that's the case.
Maybe I think differently.
But I always stood by the fact that you can't beat me 10 times, if I've only played you at the game 5 times.
And everyone I know, agreed with me every time I reiterated it.

I get all our games, and theirs on a yearly subscription.
I tend to watch them, even when it comes from Celtic TV, and it aint the first time I've take stick for it, but I never once watched or gave one dribble of a fuck about them, when they weren't in our league.
That's not a criticism of me or anyone else. Just the way I see it.

Im now of the opinion I want him to do well as it then reflects well on the job he did up here aswell. The better people do up here then succeed in the most over rated league in the world. The more realistic it is that we get good money for our players.

Other than that Im a bit indifferent to him now. If he had left on better terms id be following his managerial career a bit closer. Christ there was bears going down every week to watch Clint Hill once he left. He had a chance to be idolised for ever. His loss. We have moved on in spectacular fashion.
Another honest assessment I can see merit in, but personally, I couldn't give a prize pony what anyone in the EPL thinks about this league.

Maybe I think differently.
But I always stood by the fact that you can't beat me 10 times, if I've only played you at the game 5 times.
And everyone I know, agreed with me every time I reiterated it.

I get all our games, and theirs on a yearly subscription.
I tend to watch them, even when it comes from Celtic TV, and it aint the first time I've take stick for it, but I never once watched or gave one dribble of a fuck about them, when they weren't in our league.
That's not a criticism of me or anyone else. Just the way I see it.
History books wasn't going to mention we were only in the game for 4.75 of them. I understand where your coming from but as important as winning 55, winning it before they won 9.75 was just as important. Letting your biggest rivals set history like that, no matter how shady it was, would have been absolutely devastating to our fans.

Like I said, whoever lost the 9.75 in a row season was 99% sacked, no matter how long they were in the job. It's one of the reasons why during Covid season when people wanted Gerrard sacked, I said there was no point as a manager would only have 1 year before sacked to turn it around, so at that point we may aswell stick with Gerrard and hope for the best (Lucky it worked out) - The other reason was the clear improvement year on year , but yeah.

I agree we were a shambles he took us back to where we belong

I just don't see what's wrong with expecting more silverware considering he was heavily backed
I agree with this.
He was maybe close to the best person we could have got given our budget for a wage, players and the remit.
And he done well, but Rangers should have done better and won more trophies.

If Gio has the nasty side to combat the evil from the dark side, I have every confidence we will improve, by quite a bit.

Point 5 mate we have sacked managers Warburton pedro

8. He knows he’s took a backwards step on somewhere around 20 of 25 levels.
Family, league, spending money, Wage and future options being the benefits.
And he knows the Villa fans are well behind us in terms of passion.

Point 5 mate we do sack managers Pedro and Warburton come to mind .

History books wasn't going to mention we were only in the game for 4.75 of them. I understand where your coming from but as important as winning 55, winning it before they won 9.75 was just as important. Letting your biggest rivals set history like that, no matter how shady it was, would have been absolutely devastating to our fans.

Like I said, whoever lost the 9.75 in a row season was 99% sacked, no matter how long they were in the job. It's one of the reasons why during Covid season when people wanted Gerrard sacked, I said there was no point as a manager would only have 1 year before sacked to turn it around, so at that point we may aswell stick with Gerrard and hope for the best (Lucky it worked out) - The other reason was the clear improvement year on year , but yeah.
I'll need to disagree again, we won every title during the war.
The history books certainly do mention that a few bit part teams were missing, so why wouldn't they now?
I've honestly no interest in their achievements. But I certainly understand your point.
It's just not something that interests me.
We improved year on year. That was always the prize my eye was on!

I agree with this.
He was maybe close to the best person we could have got given our budget for a wage, players and the remit.
And he done well, but Rangers should have done better and won more trophies.

If Gio has the nasty side to combat the evil from the dark side, I have every confidence we will improve, by quite a bit.
Think gio will have far more discipline in the squad

Reckon he defo has a nasty streak in him

Point 5 mate we have sacked managers Warburton pedro

Point 5 mate we do sack managers Pedro and Warburton come to mind .
Warburton (and Souness for that matter) made their bed.
Pedro had to go, he was given far too much time.

Rangers don't have a habit of sacking managers, and the point was clear, to take anything else from what I typed takes a different level of lack of awareness or a determination to be contrary that makes the most argumentative on this board seem placid.

That's a big difference from something that has to happen and the kind of shit that has just happened at.... Let's say Villa, who just sacked a lifelong fan who took over the club 18th in the championship and in 3 years had them in the EPL, having lost their super star and still in a reasonable position but sacked 11 games into the season.

I don't hold any ill feeling towards Gerrard. I'll never forget the year he gave me when he was Rangers manager when he won 55. I'll be lucky if I experience something as amazing again.

In hindsight it was time for a change.
Totally agree with you mate!
One of my best memories for a long, long time!

As you said we did need a change, Gerrard was getting a bit predictable,
with his team selections?

What I will say is if Gio gets good success with us he will be off to pastures new as well? .....I'm afraid we are now only a stepping stone to the English premier league,
Or a top job in Europe.

That will always remain till Scottish football get a fair share of the TV money which
would create a level playing field!

But, could we trust the clowns running Scottish football to divi the cash out fairly???
Well if pigs could fly?

Then maybe don’t watch it then? :D

Cheers for posting OP. Disappointed in Gerrard leaving but my feelings have eased over the past few weeks. Starting to think it was best for both parties that we went our separate ways… can’t deny he done a good job though, we’re light years ahead of where we were when he took over.
I think you are probably right but only time will tell.

Sums up football. From the scenes last season to how he left us.

A bit sad really but we move on.

Delighted he’s gone tbh. He had lost his passion and hunger and it showed on the park.
Totally agree.. his remit was winning the league, we should've picked up on it earlier when the performances and intensity of our early season games wasn't the same.
In his mind it was job done and in hindsight it showed..

What’s done is done, thanks for all you did Stevie. We fell into the Clyde and came out with a fish supper in my opinion.

These threads are always insane.

We were a shambles. An embarrassment. He took over, won 55 and stopped the ‘9.5’ with a relatively small budget. After everything we have been though since 2012 that’s all we craved, another title and to stop them. He achieve it. It had started to look a bit stale this season so his head was turned by a job in England which I think we all know that’s where he ultimately wants to be.

I can’t bring myself to be more than mildly annoyed about it. I’ll always remember the good times and he will be forgiven once the anger subsides. Gio has came in at the right time, he’s a good manager who has a good squad to work with. Ultimately we weren’t left in lurch or trailing in the league.

I think we will look back at what happened soon and accept it was probably best for everyone involved.

Yeah, SG was good for Rangers, but I think the timing was right for both as it did look as if he & us were getting a bit stale together. GVB could well turn out to be a better manager, time will tell, but he seems to have got a reaction from a few players that, as I said, were going stale.

There was little chance he would turn down the Villa job & I honestly cannot blame him at all for taking it - getting a good Premiership job, much more money in his pocket, much more money to spend on transfers, & closer to home.

The problem is not working for Rangers, it's working in Scotland that drives players south - anyone worth their salt would get fed up with it.

Nail on head mate. As Goldson said, the team looked to have lost hunger this season. Even though we were winning most weeks, most of the results were scrapped wins and defensively we became a shambles. Our aura from last season was lost. In Europe, Malmö was an embarrassment and the Ashakert could easily have been similar despite their lack of quality. Three lacklustre performances in the Europa League out of four.

I actually get the impression Gerrard was getting flashbacks to Hamilton in March 2020 and didn’t think he’d be able to get the team out of its rut. Therefore decided to take the Villa job before his stock dropped, genuinely thinking it was now or never.

Him saying he was happy and rubbishing reports for one job then jumping ship two weeks later has left a sore taste in the mouth, especially during such an important season though. That was really poor. But look at the improvements already under Gio in four matches. Our best European performance of the season, two wins at venues Gerrard struggled with in his first two seasons and the most comfortable home win of the season also. We just look fresher than before.

Gerrard drastically improved the standards of the football club in three and a half years and gave us 55. If Celtic had gotten the 10 it would have been hell. So for that we should be grateful. The standards were slipping this season so it’s for the best he’s gone. I’m now indifferent to how he does at Villa.

Back