East Lothian journalist 'in tears' after racial abuse at Rangers game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the bottom line here.

It's vile if it's true and it's vile if it isn't.

That's why allegations such as these need thoroughly investigated and actioned accordingly.

All this Bullsh!t from the two sides bringing their own agenda to bear based on what 'they want to believe' is utterly tragic, and is frankly part of the problem. And yes I'm talking about BOTH sides.

How about get the facts first then make judgement.
the guy works in sports journalism so, why didnt he get his phone out and video this person he said abused him at the game? he could then have walked over to a copper and reported them and there would be something to back up his claims he has been racially abused.

the guy works in sports journalism so, why didnt he get his phone out and video this person he said abused him at the game? he could then have walked over to a copper and reported them and there would be something to back up his claims he has been racially abused.

In all fairness he said the guy made a comment to him, unless the boy is a mind reader how the %^*& can he film it?

I can honestly say I’ve never heard anything racist being said at Ibrox in 30 years .
Sadly, early round cup games and European nights attracts people who behave differently from the normal season ticketed fan.
Regards the incident in the wee Rangers club . Im sure it was probably meant as banter by those involved although it’s still wrong and totally unacceptable.
Rangers as a club do not have an issue with racism and I would feel comfortable taking any non- white person to Ibrox in the comfort of knowing that they wouldn’t experience anything untoward.

So, this bloke is automatically being believed? I dont believe him.
This post is the problem with some in our support. They think Rangers getting a bit of bad press is worse than the fact one of our fellow supporters has been subjected to racist abuse whilst watching his team. Denial is not a good response to this at all, it needs called out and the minority of idiots who think it’s ok to be racist will be shown to be the minority of idiots that they are.

How would that work ? Walk around with your phone camera on all the time in case someone says something ? Or pull it out and ask him to repeat it on camera, which obviously he won't do ?

Not a chance it happened without people around not sorting it out by telling them to shut up or go into a busy pub and get abused while others never said a word.

I read something similar a couple of years ago somewhere but can’t remember what in.

I just hope my memory is right and callingBS on it, if wrong WTF were the folk round the guy doing ?
Given some of the trumpets that follow us I could easily believe the incident in the pub happened

How would that work ? Walk around with your phone camera on all the time in case someone says something ? Or pull it out and ask him to repeat it on camera, which obviously he won't do ?
get his phone out and start videoing the guy and state in the video that said person had racially abused him. if they had done it and seen him videoing them, theyd defiantly do it again.

This post is the problem with some in our support. They think Rangers getting a bit of bad press is worse than the fact one of our fellow supporters has been subjected to racist abuse whilst watching his team. Denial is not a good response to this at all, it needs called out and the minority of idiots who think it’s ok to be racist will be shown to be the minority of idiots that they are.
I want evidence before I believe him. what if CCTV is looked at and none of this happened at all and this bloke is saying all this to raise his profile?

This guy in the stadium sounds like he’s an arsehole as well as being racist. The guy wasn’t talking to him, what the hell does it matter whether or not you can understand him?

I want evidence before I believe him. what if CCTV is looked at and none of this happened at all and this bloke is saying all this to raise his profile?
What if? What if?

If he says he has been racially abused the only response should be empathy and a hard line taken by the club. Denial just makes us look worse.

A Friday night and a match easy to get tickets for seemed to increase the bam factor 10 fold.

You will get idiots everywhere but thankfully the sensible folk outnumber them.

Whats just as disappointing is nobody stepping in to back this guy up. I can’t see this happening in my section without somebody saying something.

A lot of the people who are refusing to believe the guy would no doubt have his back if he said another team's fans acted that way towards him.

This isn't a Rangers or even a football issue, it is a society issue and this thread shows we have a long way to go.

The first incident is not necessarily racist. Limmy takes the piss out of the East coast accent, as does pretty much everyone on here. It was stupid and ignorant, and may well have just been plain old fashioned racism, but equally it could simply have been some drunk dick taking the piss out of a funny accent. I really hope that is all it was.

The second one is inexcusable. I would hope that the club and the people at TWRC get their investigative hats on and weed out everyone involved.

Do you see many black people in there?

Probably not but what has that got to do with it. So all the guys in that night were small pea brained rascists and stopped what they were doing and stared at a guy walking in because the colour of his skin. Absolute bollocks

He works in journalism. Don’t know about you but I’m an engineer, and as much as it’s unwieldy at the turnstiles, I carry my toolbox absolutely everywhere.

“This gentleman would not leave me alone. He said ‘You are black, what does Fashion Sakala mean?’ My friend asked what he said and when I repeated it they were absolutely astounded. The man proceeded to keep calling me Fashion Sakalca even though I asked him to leave me alone to watch the game.

Anyone swallowing that, I don't fancy their tonsils.

Horrible bastards stuck in the dark ages. Our club has moved on and left you behind. You’re not wanted near Ibrox or any other civilised setting either.

As for the “I don’t believe it” mob, we have some utter dregs of society that follow us. Believe it

“This gentleman would not leave me alone. He said ‘You are black, what does Fashion Sakala mean?’ My friend asked what he said and when I repeated it they were absolutely astounded. The man proceeded to keep calling me Fashion Sakalca even though I asked him to leave me alone to watch the game.

I’ve been in the company of drunken racist arseholes and this is exactly the kind of shite patter they think is funny.

Does wondering why he didn't report incident to either stewards/police/bar staff, before the media make me a racist?

Surely we should be giving the guy the benefit of the doubt? Why would he make this up as a fan of the club?

Our support were all apolectic at Slavia's response to the Kudela incident last season. It seems some have learned very little from it.
Agree with what you’re saying about Kudela.
Trying to be careful not to say “but” however, I’m in agreement with some posters as whilst the first incident isn’t very nice, there’s not a racist word said.
The second one in the WRC is indeed racist and fucking shocking to be honest.

Going back to the first point. If you say something not so nice to a person of a different race, is it racist?

Question for those that believe the story.

How many times over the years have you heard anyone racially abuse a fellow supporter in the stadium or in the pub?

I will also say, I’m disappointed that nobody around either of these situations spoke up.
If something nasty was going on around me, and someone next to me was copping abuse, racist or not, I’d be telling the aggressor to fucking wind his neck in.
I’ve also seen it plenty of times at Ibrox in the past. Generally someone decent will stand up and intervene.

Question for those that believe the story.

How many times over the years have you heard anyone racially abuse a fellow supporter in the stadium or in the pub?

How many times have you witnessed a professional call another a “fucking monkey” before Kudela said it to Glen?

Agree with what you’re saying about Kudela.
Trying to be careful not to say “but” however, I’m in agreement with some posters as whilst the first incident isn’t very nice, there’s not a racist word said.
The second one in the WRC is indeed racist and fucking shocking to be honest.

Going back to the first point. If you say something not so nice to a person of a different race, is it racist?
It depends entirely on why you said it. If you said it because it is true, race plays no part. If you said it because he was of a different race, that is obviously racist.

It is a minefield now and that is why if the first guy was not being racist deliberately, he was at least being a bit silly.

Does wondering why he didn't report incident to either stewards/police/bar staff, before the media make me a racist?
Since he’s probably spent most of his life being subjected to abuse like this, it perhaps grows tiresome and he’d rather walk out. Highlighting it to the media does more as a deterrent than getting one arsehole chucked out of Ibrox.

Plus nobody called anyone a racist for denying the incident happened. It just doesn’t paint us in a good light if our immediate reaction is denial. If you want to investigate whether the incident happened then do so quietly and report your findings if you indeed find him to have made it up. Until then, respond appropriately or not at all.

I’ve been in the company of drunken racist arseholes and this is exactly the kind of shite patter they think is funny.
You're asking me to believe a guy, drunk or not was calling a coloured fella, Sakala? He just focussed on Sakala?

Why not Aribo or Tav or Kamara or Bassey? Just Sakala?

Who you are in the company of has nothing to do with this guff.

Really ? I'll take the flak,but are you falling for this I'm having a hard time believing this.

Some folk think patter like that is hilarious. For example at Ibrox, guy in hospitality has ponytail like Ibrahimovic. Guy in crowd spots this keeps shouting "hawl Zlatan, hawl Zlatan" for next wee while anything happening in the game is "whit dyae think Zlatan". Cringe patter not a million miles away from what this guy is claiming.

Scotland's real problem is alcohol, the other stuff that goes along with it is fueled by our desire to drink too much and laugh about the events afterwards, our prisons are stacked full of people who's defence was "I was pished yer honour".

You're asking me to believe a guy, drunk or not was calling a coloured fella, Sakala? He just focussed on Sakala?

Why not Aribo or Tav or Kamara or Bassey? Just Sakala?

Who you are in the company of has nothing to do with this guff.
Why is it that hard to believe? Should we just reject every single bit of bad press we get and bury our heads in the sand?

Like I said to the other poster, go and get the evidence to prove him a liar before you post this guff.

“Around 25 minutes into the game, I’m doing my usual and talking football with fans around me, having a good time. But then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says ‘I can’t understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?’

Is that racist?
Yes

Have not read all posts but as he is a so called journalist or whatever making up something is what he might be capable of.
Deciding to come to the cup tie as he is a fan,does he decide to come to other games?>
As for the Wee Rangers pub is he referring to a pub or The Wee Rangers Club where I believe you have to be signed by a member,if so the "member" should be able to ratify his "Tale" as to what took place.

How many times have you witnessed a professional call another a “fucking monkey” before Kudela said it to Glen?

The players heard it at the time, surely the fans around the guy must have heard him SHOUTING racial abuse. Nobody said anything to the alleged racist or reported him to the police or a steward.

I was in a well known Rangers bar on Thursday night and watched 2 guys leave after one drink because of the way a drunken idiot was talking to, and acting aggressively towards them. Others in the bar just shook their heads and apologised to them as they made their way out the door.
Unfortunately this sort of behaviour is all too common and has nothing to do with race.
I finished my drink and left soon afterwards too because of said drunk.

Why is it that hard to believe? Should we just reject every single bit of bad press we get and bury our heads in the sand?

Like I said to the other poster, go and get the evidence to prove him a liar before you post this guff.

Is the onus not on him to prove 'this guff'?

Far too many on here want to rubbish our fans and I'm not having it. I've been going to Rangers for around 50 years. Is sectarianism prevalent, yes it certainly is and that's part of the world we live in and that's just the way it is.

Has racism been a problem at Ibrox? Certainly not and I stand by that having followed them all over.

Oh and I'm a scheme type and older guy, who going by some on here, shouldn't be anywhere near Ibrox.

Rangers was never an expensive hobby to me, it"s in the blood,not like many who go these days when sky and the rest made football trendy.

I'm really, really sad to hear this happened to this fan of Rangers.

Rangers should be a club that is open to all to support, and I hope he can return to watch the team play.

This thread is unreal. We're not that far out from Kamara getting racial abuse on the pitch and this entire forum uniting in their condemnation of the Czechs and their "there's no evidence" routine. We absolutely eviscerated Michael Stewart on here for saying Kamara shouldn't be believed and yet the same shite is popping up.

Do folk honestly think black people make up racial abuse for, what, a laugh? Some attention? To get it up Rangers? If anyone really believes that then they have absolutely no idea the kind of trouble, negative pressure, being called a liar and far, far worse that even opening up about this stuff brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back