East Lothian journalist 'in tears' after racial abuse at Rangers game

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if? What if?

If he says he has been racially abused the only response should be empathy and a hard line taken by the club. Denial just makes us look worse.
Like we should have when wee “Lenny” got abused. All bears behind Neil cos nobody should suffer abuse?
Im Not condoning racism in any form.
I am Not saying I don’t believe this guy. I do.
I’m just trying to understand how the first comment is racist. It’s a statement about someone’s grasp of the English language.
It’s cheeky/ not nice, but I don’t agree it’s racist.
As someone mentioned above, possibly potential racist undertones, and it could maybe be taken that way, but FFS I’ve worked with Aberdonians and guys from Peterhead who I’d thought the same about when listening to them. You’d question if it was English yourself!
Edinburghers can also be the same Ken like eh!

Last edited:
Lat time I heard a racist remark at Ibrox was against Celtic when Averladze scored in a 2-1 Wednesday night around 2004 I think. When a female behind me referred to Marvin Andrews as a silly(guess the rest). But it would be silly to suggest it has been eradicated.

Racism is still rife in society we have a long way to go.

On Wednesday night heard on the TV some tried to revive the Billy Boys and ‘whose the 19th Century Terrorist in the black? The club tries so hard but some continue to let the club down. Unfortunately some people just don’t give a feck. I do.

But it won't be eradicated "amongst ourselves"; just look here for a cross section of the Rangers support, this guy is being made out to be the bad guy for going to the press, over the racist. Other just don't believe him because he's not your stereotypical fan.

I don’t believe anyone has made him out to be the bad guy.

I’d just question whether going to the press as a first move of someone who genuinely wants to address racism.

You saw, as we all did, the scenario at Yorkshire cricket.

I found that instructive. My sympathies are with anyone who is the victim of racist abuse. But I found the above case instructive in how some instances can be more about personal motive and less about solving the problems

Question for those that believe the story.

How many times over the years have you heard anyone racially abuse a fellow supporter in the stadium or in the pub?
Not a fellow supporter but there has been the odd time I’ve heard racist remarks towards other players. Very rare though thankfully.

Is the onus not on him to prove 'this guff'?
He’s under no obligation to produce any evidence. He’s simply highlighting an incidence of racism. It may well be guff. Of course it might. However, the measure of us as a club and a fan base is how we respond to these things and denial that these incidents could even happen is not a great response. We should respond appropriately and should it come to light that the story has been fabricated, then the lad should rightly be criticised, but until then it has to be taken seriously.

The Rangers fan base is a cross-section of society as a whole, so of course we are going to have those amongst us who are capable of such idiocy. The fact we have the biggest fan base in the country doesn’t help that fact.

Lat time I heard a racist remark at Ibrox was against Celtic when Averladze scored in a 2-1 Wednesday night around 2004 I think. When a female behind me referred to Marvin Andrews as a silly(guess the rest). But it would be silly to suggest it has been eradicated.

Racism is still rife in society we have a long way to go.

On Wednesday night heard on the TV some tried to revive the Billy Boys and ‘whose the 19th Century Terrorist in the black? The club tries so hard but some continue to let the club down. Unfortunately some people just don’t give a feck. I do.

You’ll never eradicate racism.

You cannot control the thoughts of every individual.

Nor can you apply the actions of an individual to society as a whole.

Rangers fans as a whole are not racist. Society as a whole is not racist

There are individual racist Rangers fans and there are individual members of society who are racist.

That we psychoanalyse it all is our need to show everyone else, look at me. Look how progressive I am.

It depends entirely on why you said it. If you said it because it is true, race plays no part. If you said it because he was of a different race, that is obviously racist.

It is a minefield now and that is why if the first guy was not being racist deliberately, he was at least being a bit silly.
Thanks for a sensible response.
I agree with your point of view as well. Guy at Ibrox was undoubtedly a fanny, but if I hadn’t said something racist, I wouldn’t want to be labelled a racist.
I have been labelled a racist in the past for disagreeing with women being stoned because they had been raped.
Started from a female I knew, and then friends of hers piled in.
Not a nice experience at all.

This chap is clearly disturbed by what happened, and rightly so. Did he report it to stewards, did he make a complaint to PS? If not, why not? I’m damn sure, if it happened to me, I would be pursuing every avenue to bring those responsible to justice.

The excuses for leaving the ground early are getting more flamboyant by the day....
Could he not just admit he was choking for a pint :p

(I'm joking btw, before the perma offended get on my case).

Schemes types,older guys. I come from schemes and I'm an older guy, so don't act the c**t calling out people that you obviously think are beneath you.

Lol, I think no one is beneath me pal. I'm also from a scheme. Don't pretend like a group of dicks singing that at a black guy during the game across the road from the stadium aren't likely to be either bams or folk from a generation where behaviour like that wouldn't have been batted an eyelid at. Sorry for getting yer knickers in a twist granda.

Since he’s probably spent most of his life being subjected to abuse like this, it perhaps grows tiresome and he’d rather walk out. Highlighting it to the media does more as a deterrent than getting one arsehole chucked out of Ibrox.

Plus nobody called anyone a racist for denying the incident happened. It just doesn’t paint us in a good light if our immediate reaction is denial. If you want to investigate whether the incident happened then do so quietly and report your findings if you indeed find him to have made it up. Until then, respond appropriately or not at all.
Surely that is the point though, waiting several days then going to the press doesn't give the club much chance to prove any of the allegations, however they will now be crucified in the media regardless.

He’s under no obligation to produce any evidence. He’s simply highlighting an incidence of racism. It may well be guff. Of course it might. However, the measure of us as a club and a fan base is how we respond to these things and denial that these incidents could even happen is not a great response. We should respond appropriately and should it come to light that the story has been fabricated, then the lad should rightly be criticised, but until then it has to be taken seriously.

The Rangers fan base is a cross-section of society as a whole, so of course we are going to have those amongst us who are capable of such idiocy. The fact we have the biggest fan base in the country doesn’t help that fact.
We are at cross purposes here.

Do I want racism at Ibrox? No!

Do I think there is racism, casual as it seems in ordinary, every day life? Yes.

You have just summed up the poverty of your argument in your first sentence.

No obligation to produce evidence?

Away and annoy someone better than me.

I've heard loads of racist comments at Rangers games down the years sadly, most of them at away games and especially European nights. The person saying it is almost always steaming.

It's always a worry for midweek games that you'll be stuck beside some drunken arsehole who spouts shite all game.

You’ll never eradicate racism.

You cannot control the thoughts of every individual.

Nor can you apply the actions of an individual to society as a whole.

Rangers fans as a whole are not racist. Society as a whole is not racist

There are individual racist Rangers fans and there are individual members of society who are racist.

That we psychoanalyse it all is our need to show everyone else, look at me. Look how progressive I am.
Thank %^*& for a sensible post

Thank %^*& for a sensible post

Hate the world as it is mate.

Hate all this bullshit.

Every time the words “Rangers” and “racism” are mentioned in the same sentence, we want to castigate and self-flagellate ourselves.

What a load of old bullshit.

No decent human being approves of racism, let along any Rangers supporter.

I’m reading here people saying “10% of us are racist”.

Wtf? What are these metrics?

Probably less about mentally challenged interlopers and more people trying to prove how progressive they are.

being Asian and having followed Rangers for over 45 years the only abuse I’ve received has been from Aberdeen supporters and those of Celtic. Never had a problem with fellow bears. They are always pleased to see to see someone of Asian origin following the bears. I was at Manchester and also the friendlies at at the Emirates and never had any problems.
Thankyou sir. I know a lad who used to go to all the Rangers games, think he was mixed race with an asian father. Never had any problems following the club from our fans.

Now I'm not for one minute saying we're all Angels,we certainly never have been, but some on here see neo nazis lurking in the shadows everywhere and it"s so far from real life.

Doubt this happened, I mean I know we have some knuckle daggers in our support, but why abuse a guy then cheer the likes of Sakala scoring. Makes no sense

This is a highly improbable scenario incident imo.
Firstly, racist incidents should be reported to the appropriate authority(steward or police) as soon as it is safe to do so. Why was this not done?
I see the guy is highlighting his BBC credentials and probably activiely soliciting employment there.
If these interchanges took place, either he or one of his friends could easily have taken audio or video clips as evidence, even a photo to identify those responsible.
I would be surprised if there was not a record of every occupied seat during a game for ID purposes. Willie Vass has a good go at it most matches.
Why has there been no complaint made to the police? I can assure you that PS would treat this as a serious offence.
The notion that either no one overheard these conversations, or heard them and said nothing is absurd. If he provides the location, the club could ID those who were seated in that area.
The sad thing is he can make these unsubstantiated claims without any concern for consequences.
This guy and his friends should be questioned to get the full picture here.
I suspect attention seeking and/or malice, unless the incidents can be confirmed.
Perhaps the weirdest thing is that about 90% of the posters here accept these allegations as fact without question.

Who ever they are can they get to fu*k. Don’t need cu*ts like this. Honestly these wankers are
Haha. Classic.

The old FF “it’s a different crowd on euro nights”

And please elaborate. Why are 10% of Rangers fans “racist” on a Euro night ?

I presume you find songs about the Pope “racist”?
No I’ve no problem singing about the pope , I’m as loud as anybody . It’s the wee neds full of coke and wine , who are so out their box , just a pain

I heard a guy once shout “ya black bastard!” At Ibrox but it was at John Beaton. I’m sure the guy meant it as if the ref was dressed in traditional ref black clothing, Beaton is obviously also not a man of colour.

Name and Shame those involved. Show us the evidence. Let sue gray do her thing and see where we are, meanwhile Barry Ferguson is in the feotal position getting over his recent encounter will ra gfitw.

Hate the world as it is mate.

Hate all this bullshit.

Every time the words “Rangers” and “racism” are mentioned in the same sentence, we want to castigate and self-flagellate ourselves.

What a load of old bullshit.

No decent human being approves of racism, let along any Rangers supporter.

I’m reading here people saying “10% of us are racist”.

Wtf? What are these metrics?

Probably less about mentally challenged interlopers and more people trying to prove how progressive they are.
Cant argue with that mate this woke world and sanctimonious hypocrits everywhere!

I heard a guy once shout “ya black bastard!” At Ibrox but it was at John Beaton. I’m sure the guy meant it as if the ref was dressed in traditional ref black clothing, Beaton is obviously also not a man of colour.

Name and Shame those involved. Show us the evidence. Let sue gray do her thing and see where we are, meanwhile Barry Ferguson is in the feotal position getting over his recent encounter will ra gfitw.
There are huge problems in policing language, and extreme dangers.
The cultural nuances that abound within language are far too many, too contextual, too regional and too generational-shifting for there to be definitive interpretations and all too often this will lead to injustice.
I hope if the lad was indeed abused something can be done and witnesses who saw it come forward.
People need to be respectful to those around them.
It used to be called good manners.

We are at cross purposes here.

Do I want racism at Ibrox? No!

Do I think there is racism, casual as it seems in ordinary, every day life? Yes.

You have just summed up the poverty of your argument in your first sentence.

No obligation to produce evidence?

Away and annoy someone better than me.
It’s not a criminal court, he’s highlighting a problem that needs weeded out at clubs up and down the UK. Like I say, it could be made up bullshit, but until proved otherwise then Rangers and the support should react in a manner that’s befitting of our club.

Maybe just middle age talking, but I genuinely feel there has been a massive dip in the general behaviour of people in the last 10-15 years. Too many people just dont seem to give a fuk about their fellow man

...and yes, I did see some morally questionable sights and behaviour in the 80s when I started following Rangers home and away

That's really sad. The guy seems a good bloke, really awful he had to go through this.

Not a massive surprise though, given some of the views you sadly read on here.
I don't ever recall reading any racist posts on here, I've read posts calling out racism.

Question for those that believe the story.

How many times over the years have you heard anyone racially abuse a fellow supporter in the stadium or in the pub?
The bams in the pub clearly thought they were being funny and would have been pissed.

See a black guy and sing the Sakala song, I could believe that tbh. Obviously this guy wasn’t happy and rightly so by the sounds of it.

I’ve witnessed a number of incidents of similar nature whilst on lads holidays and sadly at a couple of our away games albeit not in the last few years. On the other hand, I’ve seen bears in pubs sing “there’s only 2 (insert white players name) at a random in the pub that may bear some resemblance to a player.

What I would say is that it’s not like it’s half our support, you’re talking a very very small number of drunken arseholes.

Followed Bobby recently on Twitter as I liked his coverage of the non league scene up here, seems a nice genuine lad and I’m sorry he had that experience following our (and his) team.

There is a sizeable portion of our support - and some of our fans pretend there isnt - who are totally ignorant knuckledraggers and it’s fucking embarrassing every time they make an arse of themselves and in turn the club. I’m getting absolutely sick of it.

We all know that it was said with racist attitude. And as for what happened in the wee rangers, staff there would have/should have sorted it for the guy. Absolutely shocking this shit still happens and especially in small section of our fans, it happened to my mate also who is black while standing in the stands and he has a red hand tattooed on his chest. Took my mate nearly half a season to go back to Ibrox.
But no one will be along to call you a liar despite you're an anonymous poster but this guy puts his real name out and folk doubt him. Truth hurts, we've got racists like every club in the country and I'm sure there are black and Asian racist fans. The test is how we respond.

Ignorance, stupidity and yes racist also.
This can be educated out of people, shame on the educated and decent folk who were at either situation and sat on their hands.

Like we should have when wee “Lenny” got abused. All bears behind Neil cos nobody should suffer abuse?
Im Not condoning racism in any form.
I am Not saying I don’t believe this guy. I do.
I’m just trying to understand how the first comment is racist. It’s a statement about someone’s grasp of the English language.
It’s cheeky/ not nice, but I don’t agree it’s racist.
As someone mentioned above, possibly potential racist undertones, and it could maybe be taken that way, but FFS I’ve worked with Aberdonians and guys from Peterhead who I’d thought the same about when listening to them. You’d question if it was English yourself!
Edinburghers can also be the same Ken like eh!

The guys got a distinctive Edinburgh accent mate. He's on fB and Twitter. Now if the knucklehead asks everyone from Edinburgh the same question then maybe he's not a racist.

the guy works in sports journalism so, why didnt he get his phone out and video this person he said abused him at the game? he could then have walked over to a copper and reported them and there would be something to back up his claims he has been racially abused.
Maybe he was shocked and surprised. He admitted he was crying about it.

I don’t like this “well it happens in every ground” undertone.

It may well do, but if that is happening in ours then it needs dealt with properly.

Nobody in our support should ever feel uncomfortable following or supporting our club because of their race.

Some people will read that article and think “where’s the racism?”

Educate yourself. You are part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back