Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as frustrated as anyone with the lack of signings but at the same time I'd rather we held off if the right player wasn't available for Gio (someone who he really wants or feels he will outright enhance that starting XI) - which would tie into his comments about there being money there but alas lack of signings.

Doing it any other way will usually result in more players like Barker or Simpson (or possibly even Wright but maybe I'm being unfair there) and having players in before windows shut for the sake of it.

I'm honesty done with squad fillers. I'd rather sign no-one than more folk to bulk things out.
I agree, the right player has to be available. But if the scouting and analysis team does their job there should really always be a 'right' player available. It is why we have scouting and analysis teams, if for some reason that #1 target isn't available then we will have a list of backup options that still fit the criteria.

It just all comes down to how high a priority it is in the manager's eyes. For him, signing the 4th or 5th choice target for RW might not be worth it compared to the current options, whereas for me I think it absolutely would be as long as they still met our signing criteria.

It been gibberish for months.

It’s just the same punters talking pish - I’d like to see X Y Z and I know this player X Y & Z from some league no one really watches unless they live there.

Full of bullshitting fuds.
The problem is there is little making its way out of Ibrox. Certainly early in any transfer.

People are impatient and want deals done yesterday. Some claim to know every player currently playing, including the likes of the 5th tier of Croation football.

Some post details of players that may suit our style which is good for those who watch little football other than Rangers.

This thread has been like this since the board was set up and will, in all likelihood, be the same each and every window going forward.

Had a look on a couple of Blackburn forums to see if there was any talk about Rothwell to us. Nothing there. Incidentally, Blackburn have pretty much completed the pre-contract signing of Ryan Hedges and they will be trying to get him this month. So maybe Rothwell is for the off.

I’d be pretty happy with Rothwell tbh. Would take around £1m to sign him in January though.

What kind of player is he and who's position does he take in the current starting XI?

He missed tonight's game with a back injury.

I agree, the right player has to be available. But if the scouting and analysis team does their job there should really always be a 'right' player available. It is why we have scouting and analysis teams, if for some reason that #1 target isn't available then we will have a list of backup options that still fit the criteria.

It just all comes down to how high a priority it is in the manager's eyes. For him, signing the 4th or 5th choice target for RW might not be worth it compared to the current options, whereas for me I think it absolutely would be as long as they still met our signing criteria.
That's true to a pont but with GvB coming in during the season those initial players identified may not match his style or system.

What if the #1 isn’t available right now but might be in Summer?

The Manager and the Club will know what they want. I’ve no doubt at all that they are working in unison to deliver what they want. If it’s not achievable though, then that’s that. Why compromise on a second, third or fourth choice and find yourself spending the next few months/years thinking ‘if only we’d waited for…’ if it doesn’t work out? GvB might well be confident that he has enough to see us to success this season then really shape HIS team come Summer, a far easier market to work in.

Club Brugge go to great lengths to bring Andreas Skov Olsen to Belgium. The Belgian national champion not only trumps the competition with a better salary, but is also willing to pay more to his current club.

FC Copenhagen, Rangers FC and Club Brugge . Andreas Skov Olsen has a nice choice when it comes to his future employer. However, we are almost certain: it will be blue-black.
La Gazzetta dello Sport confirms that Club Brugge has increased the offer to seven million euros. An agreement with Bologna FC 1909 is almost complete. Bids of around five million euros came from Denmark and Scotland.

Higher offer and more pay
Skov Olsen also passes the Belgian cash register. We do not know the exact figures, but the Belgian national champion is also smooth about the offers from Copenhagen and Rangers in terms of salary. Only the signatures have not yet been put.

Read more: https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws...-skov-olsen-van-bologna-fc-1909#ixzz7IvhzE48w

What if the #1 isn’t available right now but might be in Summer?

The Manager and the Club will know what they want. I’ve no doubt at all that they are working in unison to deliver what they want. If it’s not achievable though, then that’s that. Why compromise on a second, third or fourth choice and find yourself spending the next few months/years thinking ‘if only we’d waited for…’ if it doesn’t work out? GvB might well be confident that he has enough to see us to success this season then really shape HIS team come Summer, a far easier market to work in.
Then in that case it will be down to them to decide how high priority the position is. GVB might not think signing a RW is important enough to concede getting our #2 target just to get him 5 months earlier whereas I do.

It would also depend on how big the difference is between each choice, if the second choice target is a much worse player or 10 years older then waiting is obviously far more worth it than if there is no quality gap or they're a similar age.

Then in that case it will be down to them to decide how high priority the position is. GVB might not think signing a RW is important enough to concede getting our #2 target just to get him 5 months earlier whereas I do.

It would also depend on how big the difference is between each choice, if the second choice target is a much worse player or 10 years older then waiting is obviously far more worth it than if there is no quality gap or they're a similar age.
I think the basic thing we are agreeing on is ‘leave it to the guys in charge’. I hope.:) I’d hate to see us buy just for the sake of it, even though I get the impression that doing so would placate much of the gang on here. Buy smarter.

GvB, and Wilson, - we hope - know what they are doing.

That's true to a pont but with GvB coming in during the season those initial players identified may not match his style or system.
I would still argue that is part of their job though. We might not have played with traditional wingers under Gerrard so I don't expect them to have been scouted extensively, but they should still be scouted to a smaller degree because then if Gerrard ever changed systems etc there would be a foundation there and that foundation is then applicable to new managers also.

I've said it before, prepare for disappointment in this window. Souttar on the pre-contract and the Sands loan will be the only bit of business we'll see.
Where would the disappointment be?

Only bit of business? Did you forget we sold a player for Big money and look likely to keep our big players

Where is the disappointment in this window?

I think the basic thing we are agreeing on is ‘leave it to the guys in charge’. I hope.:) I’d hate to see us buy just for the sake of it, even though I get the impression that doing so would placate much of the gang on here. Buy smarter.

GvB, and Wilson, - we hope - know what they are doing.
I trust them definitely. They will know the squad better than I do, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be really disappointed if we couldn't identify one single suitable RW to get this window because it is a glaring weakness in our team, but maybe Gio doesn't see it that way.

Wilson would come under the spotlight from a section of the support for sure, the recent additions haven’t been starters or even pushing for starts.
My focus or frustration would be firmly directly toward Robertson and the board.

I have zero doubt Wilson and Gio have a list of targets however that list is only as good as the board’s willingness to act on it and get the players from that list.

We can’t stand still here and are rolling a dice based on them being injury prone right now and players finding form after long periods of injury.

Right now we have Ryan Kent, Alfie and Aribo as the creative players as well as Hagi to be fair but Kent has his own injury record and Alfie can drop form in the space of 10 minutes.

If we signed a right winger it would simply take away the concern as we would have cover for either dipping in form or picking up an injury.

It’s gamble to go with what we have and if we were told at the start of the season that we would be 4 points in front with 3 games against them to come ( 2 of them at the chamber of secrets ) and that in addition creating and converting chances has been an issue then we would all agree an attacking addition is a must:

Add into the mix that we would sell a bench player for 9 million then I am pretty sure we would be demanding a right winger and correctly so

Oh that’s without changing manger for a decent sum and a seamless transition from a new manager!

Yes it’s all ifs and buts however if we do not sign a right winger/attacker who improves the team and we lose the league then I would expect Robertson to leave

It could be a possibility that the club see this as our first proper chance to turn over a profit with the Patterson and Gerrard money on top of our other revenues.

Therefore are reluctant to spend it.

I've said it before, prepare for disappointment in this window. Souttar on the pre-contract and the Sands loan will be the only bit of business we'll see.
Christ I hope not. Failing to build from a position of strength is a fools game and only allows competitors to catch up.

I do think we'll still land a few signings in the next 6 or 7 days though and hopefully cast off the deadwood. If we don't then we're still easily the best team in the league but we can't afford to stay static.

We all know that Wilson likes it quiet. It is more than likely that if we were in for Skov Olsen we will have a short list we will go on to the next name.

My focus or frustration would be firmly directly toward Robertson and the board.

I have zero doubt Wilson and Gio have a list of targets however that list is only as good as the board’s willingness to act on it and get the players from that list.

We can’t stand still here and are rolling a dice based on them being injury prone right now and players finding form after long periods of injury.

Right now we have Ryan Kent, Alfie and Aribo as the creative players as well as Hagi to be fair but Kent has his own injury record and Alfie can drop form in the space of 10 minutes.

If we signed a right winger it would simply take away the concern as we would have cover for either dipping in form or picking up an injury.

It’s gamble to go with what we have and if we were told at the start of the season that we would be 4 points in front with 3 games against them to come ( 2 of them at the chamber of secrets ) and that in addition creating and converting chances has been an issue then we would all agree an attacking addition is a must:

Add into the mix that we would sell a bench player for 9 million then I am pretty sure we would be demanding a right winger and correctly so

Oh that’s without changing manger for a decent sum and a seamless transition from a new manager!

Yes it’s all ifs and buts however if we do not sign a right winger/attacker who improves the team and we lose the league then I would expect Robertson to leave
Absolutely spot on, its criminal if we don’t strengthen the squad this week.

We lost control of that game in midfield. We were missing Davis, Arfield, Jack and Aribo. Other than Kamara that, when everyone is fit, would be 2nd or even 3rd choice players playing at one of our most difficult away venues. Added to that the tactics were all wrong that day with massive distances between midfield and attack and the centre circle basically abandoned for Aberdeen to fully control. We gave Aberdeen the initiative and let them build momentum. We ended up lucky not to lose the game. It's not simply we need more quality in there, it's that we need our quality players fit and available or at most one missing at a time or we risk dropping points in the more difficult games.
You don’t think we need anyone this windows then to improve the first team? surely an upgrade on Arfield or a future replacement for Davis as he’s clearly struggling with the workload and it’s fair enough at his age. Arfield Davis and Jack aren’t going to available every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back