Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect 100% for instance I loved us getting Docherty, it didn't work out but atleast there was far more optimism for him than say Barker.

When Kamara signed I stated he'd be a dark horse of a signing. But I'm definitely not in the boat of some fans that think he must be kept. I'd have happily taken 15m this window if it got us 2 new starting 11 players.

The team has to look to the next level bringing in squad filler isn't progressing us, I'd have happily not signed Bacuna, Wright, Simpson, Ofoborh and put all that into 1 starting 11 signing instead.
I wouldn’t disagree the squad is too big. That will be addressed. We are still evolving and moving on, hopefully, players who were maybe decent squad backups a couple of years ago but aren’t any longer. That’s natural. Unfortunately for many of them it will be on expiration of contracts rather than for a fee.

I’d have to say though, that at the time we signed them, Barker was very much a bigger ‘prospect’ than Docherty. His Youth career is well documented on here. Both huge disappointments of course. Middleton is another gamble that got us excited for a while but ultimately wasn’t up to it.

We’d both agree there are areas to be improved. Lundstram was meant to improve us. He didn’t. Itten came on the back of an excellent season in Switzerland. Doesn’t look like it will work for him. So buying ‘tried and proven’ has no guarantees attached to it either.

We wouldn't have got a starting 11 player for that outlay, unless you mean just their wages, which means it would have needed to be one large bowman deal, involving large signing on fee, so we probably still couldn't have used that money to get a guaranteed starter.
We should have spent some money and I know it's risky due to Covid killing the income and you're asking a lot from the board. But it's a very important season and the team off the back of 55 just felt like it needed some injection of quality and competition.

We will be trying to get extensions sorted, they just won't be public knowledge.

Morelos apparently had a verbal agreement on an extension a while back, not sure whats going on with it though. Probably his agent being a dick again rather than him as he is settled and happy in Scotland.
For once he seems to be and we would all be happy to keep a hold of him I would think.

Pretty sure we will know if they are willing to extend or not if not they go in the summer and we use the money for replacements.

Edmiston House is costing the club more than the initial budgets and projections, it needs more investment. Hence the reason for the last share issue.
This is way off topic but I was greatly surprised by it especially the financial situation at the Club when it was announced.

You would think that was a project 5-10 years down the line when we are hopefully financially secure.

Haven't heard anything about more costing but a project that size won't be cheap.

We should have spent some money and I know it's risky due to Covid killing the income and you're asking a lot from the board. But it's a very important season and the team off the back of 55 just felt like it needed some injection of quality and competition.

We clearly didn't have money to spend.

Sakala and Lundstram won't have been cheap either. They will have cost a fair chunk of change in signing on fees.

Sakala - isn’t a baller just a raw talent that will either have a mediocre spell or will be a superstar who goes to the EPL for a large amount of cash but that’s purely down to him and his development

Sands - appears to be a baller and given how highly regarded he is, I don’t think it’s to ( out there ) to say he is a baller

Bacuna - well he hasn’t done anything of note in his career and arrived with Huddersfield happy to see the back of him and to be honest their assessment has been spot on so far
Can someone explain what a baller is? How do I measure when a player is a baller or not? It is obviously not scored goals as Sakala has scored 6 already and isn't a baller. Sands is just out of nappies, and he is a baller, so it is not aged related. How many ballers do we have? Patterson was sold for 16mil was he a baller or raw talent? How do I know who is a baller and who not.

I’d have to say though, that at the time we signed them, Barker was very much a bigger ‘prospect’ than Docherty. His Youth career is well documented on here. Both huge disappointments of course. Middleton is another gamble that got us excited for a while but ultimately wasn’t up to it.

We’d both agree there are areas to be improved. Lundstram was meant to improve us. He didn’t. Itten came on the back of an excellent season in Switzerland. Doesn’t look like it will work for him. So buying ‘tried and proven’ has no guarantees attached to it either.
Barker was picked over Kent through various England Unders teams but you just knew from seeing him at Hibs he would never make it here, he couldn't even make it there. Its like Bacuna... There is a player in there but, the risk outweighs the reward.

Docherty was touted to become better than McArthur and Mccarthy so personally I thought he was more of a prospect.

I don't mind Lundstrum, there are far more pressing issues to sort out than the DM position.

I have a feeling we will be caught asleep at the wheel regarding new recruits
Our sleeping behind the wheel was in the summer when the best players are available. We couldn't strengthen because of not qualifying for the CL. Unless something exceptional comes up we have enough to win the league, we shouldn't be panic buying as the squad is already filled with mediocrity.

Can someone explain what a baller is? How do I measure when a player is a baller or not? It is obviously not scored goals as Sakala has scored 6 already and isn't a baller. Sands is just out of nappies, and he is a baller, so it is not aged related. How many ballers do we have? Patterson was sold for 16mil was he a baller or raw talent? How do I know who is a baller and who not.
I have no idea but I just taken it is a a proper player who can play quality football

It's mental the amount of times you have to repeat this in this thread and the last one.
Because its not a very good point, likely.

How much money? We have money in every single window. Its the amount that matters, which we are not going to disclose.

How much money? We have money in every single window. Its the amount that matters, which we are not going to disclose.

How is it not a very good point? The manager literally allowed the words "I have money to spend" leave his mouth to the press. Yet people are convinced there's nothing for him to spend. The post I quoted replied to someone theorising that the money we got for Patterson and Gerrard had all went into running costs. So the point is very valid.

This is like watching that film Don't Look Up.

He said he has money to spend, how are we meant to know how much?

The Forest manager has been quoted as saying that in McKenna and Worrall, he's got 2 of the best central defenders in the Championship.

Now I think both of them are decent enough and nowhere near as bad as some on here make them out to be, but Goldson is immeasurably better than either of them.

I see Greg Doc doing well at Hull, Ojo doing the same at Millwall and Christie being touted as far too good for the English Championship to know both Rangers and Goldson are totally different gravy from players and teams like that.
Absolutely 100%. We need to be firm in our transfer dealings with English clubs (although I know this no longer applies in the Goldson situation).

We clearly didn't have money to spend.

Sakala and Lundstram won't have been cheap either. They will have cost a fair chunk of change in signing on fees.
Sakala turned down the French champions for us, because he was a Bosman people are looking at is as though we haven’t strengthened.

Had he gone to Lille the same folk would be moaning that we had missed out on a player of his quality on a Bosman.

I remember the panic on these threads last year with lines such as “we won’t win the league if we don’t buy a midfielder” or “what happens if 15 players get injured” type of posts.

I’m pretty relaxed, we make signings - great.

We don’t, we still have the best squad in the league.

The one, tiny criticism I have is that there should have been one key player leaving in the summer to start a new cycle.

Even then, not the end of the world but it was a missed opportunity IMO.

Last edited:
Sakala turned down the French champions for us, because he was a Bosman people are looking at is as though we haven’t strengthened.

Had he gone to Lille the same folk would be moaning that we had missed out on a player of his quality on a Bosman.

I remember the panic on these threads last year with lines such as “we won’t win the league if we don’t buy a midfielder” or “what happens if 1526 players get” type of posts.

I’m pretty relaxed, we make signings - great.

We don’t, we still have the best squad in the league.

The one, tiny criticism I have is that there should have been one key player leaving in the summer to start a new cycle.

Even then, not the end of the world but it was a missed opportunity IMO.
Just to say I love Sakala, should be a starter and giving competition on the RW and to Kent. And is a great buy and that will show in time.

Just to say I love Sakala, should be a starter and giving competition on the RW and to Kent. And is a great buy and that will show in time.
When he first arrived I was like “erm, okay” but he’s improved a fair whack already under some proper coaching. Will be great once it’s all pieced together.

None of that takes away from the fact we still need a good quality 8, a RW and a back up RB and have done since the first week of the window when Patterson went.
We don’t need anything. We absolutely breezed the league last year and are 4 points clear this year. The squad is massively bloated and I for one do not blame the board for saying enough is enough.

Our wage bill will already be sky high and yet your plan gets a couple of grand off it in Patterson to be replaced with what will be presumably 10s of thousands a week for the quality you want.

If someone leaves that causes a hole in the starting 11 then I have no doubts we will reinvest. That’s not happened though.

When he first arrived I was like “erm, okay” but he’s improved a fair whack already under some proper coaching. Will be great once it’s all pieced together.
I see people say he suits counter attacking only and I disagree, he come on against Dundee Utd at 0-0 and him running at players caused them issues. He's rapid, direct and has a good touch. That will always cause problems regardless of formation and tactics.

Thats the way our transfers need to be. People who get better over time for us.

None of the players we have spent money on in the last few years, other than maybe Helander and Roofe, have been the finished article, and even then we only have them here due to their physical limitations.

Its very very unlikely we spend on anybody who instantly improves the team other than RW.

Also, we didn't actually need a right winger in the summer as we didn't play with traditional wide players.

Thats obviously changed since GVB came in and our tactics have change somewhat. If we don't get somebody in the 1st window he has then so be it

Thats the way our transfers need to be. People who get better over time for us.

None of the players we have spent money on in the last few years, other than maybe Helander and Roofe, have been the finished artist, and even then we only have them here due to their physical limitations.

Its very very unlikely we spend on anybody who instantly improves the team other than RW.

Also, we didn't actually need a right winger in the summer as we didn't play with traditional wide players.

Thats obviously changed since GVB came in and our tactics have change somewhat. If we don't get somebody in the 1st window he has then so be it
Totally agree.

How is it not a very good point? The manager literally allowed the words "I have money to spend" leave his mouth to the press. Yet people are convinced there's nothing for him to spend. The post I quoted replied to someone theorising that the money we got for Patterson and Gerrard had all went into running costs. So the point is very valid.

This is like watching that film Don't Look Up.
And Gio insinuating we had a budget does not mean that the OP's theory is wrong.

We could have £100k, we could have £1m, we could have £5m.

It's an absolute moot point to say "we have money".

He said he has money to spend, how are we meant to know how much?
So why keep bringing it up like its some groundbreaking news that means we're cash rich? We all know there is some sort of money, there always is in every single window. It could be pennies to spend, it could be a lot more. Nobody knows.

We all can appreciate the constraints the Club face at the minute regarding finances,but surely they must back Gio financially. It's been a successful window in terms of the nucleus of the title winning team is still there without any major outgoings and no one knows what's going on behind the scenes, I think I'd rather stick with what we have than twist on another mediocre player. Maybe that experience is making us think twice given the mediocrity there at the minute. I hope we have our sights set on a target that's under the radar.

We all can appreciate the constraints the Club face at the minute regarding finances,but surely they must back Gio financially. It's been a successful window in terms of the nucleus of the title winning team is still there without any major outgoings and no one knows what's going on behind the scenes, I think I'd rather stick with what we have than twist on another mediocre player. Maybe that experience is making us think twice given the mediocrity there at the minute. I hope we have our sights set on a target that's under the radar.

Gio said last week there is money available.

Things is mate, we wants to score, sounds daft but I don't get that with Kent. We're lacking in firing power sometimes.
I'd expect Kent to pick his form up again and maybe a few players a wee bit rusty in the Aberdeen game after the break.

It may not happen this window, but I would be amazed if Dave Vos has not got his claws into a few top young dutch players to come in the summer.
Again qualification for the UCL is going to be critical because clearly there will be more money available but also young talented players will want the chance to take that step up that they might not get with their own club in somewhere like Holland or Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back