Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s quite clear that we won’t be bringing anyone else in.

If we are, it’ll be the very last minute and hopefully taking advantage of other teams’ desperation.

That’s a pretty naive mindset. Brereton Diaz for instance would probably be our second best striker if we signed him.

There are a few bosman players in the summer who would be fantastic signings from the Championship such as Rothwell, Brereton-Diaz, John Swift, Sam Johnstone and Tom Lawrence.

We had lost something like 1 domestic league game in 50 under Gerrard before he left. The way some people go on, you would think we were dropping points left, right and centre before he left. We were still showing title winning form and had already beaten Celtic with various players (and Gerrard himself) missing.

I think it’s quite clear that we won’t be bringing anyone else in.

If we are, it’ll be the very last minute and hopefully taking advantage of other teams’ desperation.
Not spent transfer fees in 3/4 windows & not a single credible link happening right now.

Absolutely nothing to suggest we’ll be doing any significant business.

We had lost something like 1 domestic league game in 50 under Gerrard before he left. The way some people go on, you would think we were dropping points left, right and centre before he left. We were still showing title winning form and had already beaten Celtic with various players (and Gerrard himself) missing.
Let’s not rewrite history mate. Our performances were labored under Gerrard this season and it felt like we were only a game away from dropping more points.

We were leaking goals and lost the first goal in countless games in a row (was it 6/7?). We dropped points at home to Hearts, Aberdeen and Motherwell. We also squeezed by in a few games, St Johnstone away and Hibs at home come to mind. We were far from firing on all cylinders.

Gio came in and whether it was a new manager bounce or he was able to identify our deficiencies, he was able to make us solid again and put us on a winning run we hadn’t yet accomplished this season.

Just my opinion but there wasn’t a chance in hell that we were taking nine from nine against away to Hibs, Livingston and Hearts under Gerrard. The number of goals we were conceding under the previous management is all the evidence I need to reach that conclusion.

Our form and points gap may not be too dissimilar but the nature of the results have massively improved as we have stopped conceding so many goals.

I’ll stop there before those on their periods enter the thread to throw a tantrum because we are not discussing transfer rumours that do not exist.

One thing about Gerrard though, he knew how to beat Celtic. Sometimes I get the impression that Gio is too nice.

Quite the leap and back again.
I see where you’re coming from but I’m not as massively concerned as everyone else with the players we have returning.

I think it’s very unlikely, but if we do bring someone in then we won’t be the only club waiting until the last minute.

Otherwise, I reckon we’re happy with what we have.

Wee reminder ...

This is how the squad looks right now.

While people may argue that this or that player is "not good enough" etc., we are still well/able covered in any position. The "right wing" might be seen as a concern, but truth be told, we`ve not used a right-sided winger in ages, but utilzed Hagi there, Aribo, Roofe or now Wright. By default, our right-sided attacker is Tavernier - or at least that was the SG variant.

We`ve "lost" a RB that was second in line to Tavernier. We`ve got someone who will cover CB and DM positions, may even step in at RB.
Leon King has seemingly been promoted to the first team, with Lowry possibly earmarked for more game time from now on (don`t know, how many games a B-team player can play for the first team though).

Aribo will be back soon ... and I would assume Souttar will bolster our defence sooner rather than later.

All in all, we look good ... unless we lose a vital player or two come the end of the window, though I reckon we`ll have contingency plans.
All fair comment however; it has been regularly mentioned that Gio likes his wide players to be actual wingers. If that is the case then utilising a player wide right isn't the same as having a player who naturally plays in that position.
That's why I suspect/hope that we address this by the end of the window either permanently or a loan til the summer.

That’s a pretty naive mindset. Brereton Diaz for instance would probably be our second best striker if we signed him.

There are a few bosman players in the summer who would be fantastic signings from the Championship such as Rothwell, Brereton-Diaz, John Swift, Sam Johnstone and Tom Lawrence.
He's a bit of a twat but Tom lawrence would thrive in the old firm setting

It’s a horrible month as it is, the transfer window just makes it worse. Should scrap it
It’s not so bad if you have cash to burn!

I think it’s quite a crucial month when things are tight, had the epl been a close run then you would probably see moves for haaland for example but it’s not and hence it’s been fairly dull.

For us I’m struggling to see and understand why we are so lazy and in active, we know what we need but regardless we go into 3 crucial games with Scott Wright being our only fit right winger?

I find that a bit frustrating

One thing about Gerrard though, he knew how to beat Celtic. Sometimes I get the impression that Gio is too nice.
No need to have any fear about Gio mate. He led Feyenoord to a 6-2 demolition job of Ajax in Eredivisie. He knows how to win big derby games and humiliate the club’s rivals. And that was a very very good Ajax team with De Ligt, Onana, De Jong, Van de Beek, Tadic and Ziyech.

Gio has also obviously won Old Firm games as player. He knows what it’s all about.

Tactically is another question. I agree, Gerrard and Beale had the formula down to a tee. It might take one or two derby games before the new management figure out the best way to win against the scum but that is natural. I remember Gerrard’s first game against the scum was poor and then the first Old Firm game the next season against Lennon was catastrophic. IIRC he lined up with no wingers and about four central midfielders. It takes time for managers to adapt to this fixture.

It’s not so bad if you have cash to burn!

I think it’s quite a crucial month when things are tight, had the epl been a close run then you would probably see moves for haaland for example but it’s not and hence it’s been fairly dull.

For us I’m struggling to see and understand why we are so lazy and in active, we know what we need but regardless we go into 3 crucial games with Scott Wright being our only fit right winger?

I find that a bit frustrating
It’s not over yet but as the days tick by it’s looking less likely we will get anyone in or if we do it will be someone slow which isn’t what we need. At least only 5 and a half days left to we know for certain.

Not spent transfer fees in 3/4 windows & not a single credible link happening right now.

Absolutely nothing to suggest we’ll be doing any significant business.
We didn't spend any money in the summer window but to say we haven't spent money in 3/4 windows is wrong.

We paid fees to get Simpson and Wright in early last January and the summer before that we spent around £10m for Itten, Roofe and made Hagi permanent. Season before 2 loans in January and over £10m again in the summer window on Helander, Kent and Edmundson.

It doesn't matter if they are camped 18 yards or 180 yards from goal, pace is used in far more ways than just running into space behind the defensive line, particularly out wide. Having a bit of acceleration means you can get past players easier, have quicker passing combinations, give options and get on the end of crosses quicker which can all be done even with 10 men camped in the opposition box.
Think a little longer though we need to retain a perspective on these matters mate the combination of skills that are required combined with pace takes scouting and costs into the high ends .

We can’t afford to buy and pay players from those levels so we must develop them - and also blend them .

Pace of course is premium and we want it but just show a bit of patience is my view

We need a right winger, that's the obvious position requiring strengthened for me. An additional attacking or genuine box to box midfielder would be nice as, like the RW, it would give adequate cover for Arfield, Aribo and Hagi when we only play with one sitting midfielder (we are so much more fluid when we set up that way imo) but can't see it being a priority right now due to numbers. Honestly don't see the urgent need for a backup RB this window either.

On your other point, I don't see it as complacency within the squad tbh, I think it's more a tactical instruction from Gio. Take the lead then keep the zero sort of thing. Clearly it's working so I'm not complaining too much, but personally I don't like it and feel we should kill games off first then sit in if we want to protect a clean sheet. A different player or freshening up a few places isn't going to change the philosophy within the team or its instructions though. We currently have Arfield, Davis, Jack, Kamara, Lundstrum, Aribo, Hagi, Lowry, Ofoborh, Sands and Bacuna fighting over 3 positions. 4 currently aren't available and we still have 6 for 3 slots. Midfield can wait until summer.
Working is subjective! Yes we won the away games but you can’t sustain that lack of control and poor play for the season which showed against aberdeen! I hope Aberdeen was a huge wake up call. We’re rangers, we don’t sit in against cloggers and journeymen! I’m all for “keeping the zero” but we do that by putting our boots on these cunts necks not sitting in and allowing Aberdeen 65% possession!

Working is subjective! Yes we won the away games but you can’t sustain that lack of control and poor play for the season which showed against aberdeen! I hope Aberdeen was a huge wake up call. We’re rangers, we don’t sit in against cloggers and journeymen! I’m all for “keeping the zero” but we do that by putting our boots on these cunts necks not sitting in and allowing Aberdeen 65% possession!
I did say personally I don't like it as a tactic and Aberdeen showed how fragile conceding possession and trying to hold onto a lead can be. We were lucky not to end up losing. However, the rest of the games it worked. Reminded me of Walter in a way. Not always the most convincing or great to watch but results kept coming.

No need to have any fear about Gio mate. He led Feyenoord to a 6-2 demolition job of Ajax in Eredivisie. He knows how to win big derby games and humiliate the club’s rivals. And that was a very very good Ajax team with De Ligt, Onana, De Jong, Van de Beek, Tadic and Ziyech.

Gio has also obviously won Old Firm games as player. He knows what it’s all about.

Tactically is another question. I agree, Gerrard and Beale had the formula down to a tee. It might take one or two derby games before the new management figure out the best way to win against the scum but that is natural. I remember Gerrard’s first game against the scum was poor and then the first Old Firm game the next season against Lennon was catastrophic. IIRC he lined up with no wingers and about four central midfielders. It takes time for managers to adapt to this fixture.
On your last point, the fact this is only the second OF game for their manager will be a factor too - it's not experience v inexperience per se.

Wasn’t that arsed about new signings, quite simply have to go into the market now - not an ideal situation.
If we don't massive chance for the likes of Lowry, Bacuna or Sakala to show why their name should be on the teamsheet every week

looking forward to another couple of squad filler loans on deadline day.

Sigh.
The board can get to %^*& if they think that is any way acceptable.

With the injury to Hagi, on top of Jack, Davis and Arfield being unreliable in terms of fitness, we absolutely MUST go out and land a decent attacking midfielder or we are in real risk of throwing away the title and with it, probably the next 5 years:

The board can get to %^*& if they think that is any way acceptable.

With the injury to Hagi, on top of Jack, Davis and Arfield being unreliable in terms of fitness, we absolutely MUST go out and land a decent attacking midfielder or we are in real risk of throwing away the title and with it, probably the next 5 years:

The same board who have bankrolled us this far and built the club from nothing to where we are today. A bit premature for the board can get to %^*& patter mate.

We need signings, I agree. A RW and attacking midfielder is glaringly obvious but lets keep calm and see what happens over the coming days.

4 signings required before the end of the window now.

RB cover, quality RW for starting 11, an 8 to challenge Arfield and a 10 to challenge Aribo.
I can see both King and Balogun just being used as Tav's cover now, I think if we were going to get cover we would have got it by now. Getting Souttar in early sort of free's up Bassey as LB cover and Balogun as RB cover.

Yeah we're not getting 4 signings. We've already got too many not contributing. Fingers crossed Jack can stay fit as that would ease the burden on the midfield.

Said it before Hagi's injury, we've backed ourselves into a place where we need a massive amount of luck to keep a squad fit that can win the title

We've got far too many bang average players that you can't trust for 4/5 games if someone picks up an injury & seriously need reinforcements over the next week

Said it before Hagi's injury, we've backed ourselves into a place where we need a massive amount of luck to keep a squad fit that can win the title

We've got far too many bang average players that you can't trust for 4/5 games if someone picks up an injury & seriously need reinforcements over the next week
This. We need it sorted fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back