Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to them signing, what were your thoughts on Ryan Jack and Glen Kamara?
I thought Jack was a decent player with scope to improve which he’s done in time. His development under Gerrard was actually better than I thought it could be but I always thought he was a tidy player.

Kamara I was excited about as you could see even playing for Dundee he was a superb footballer and playing way below the level he was capable of.

Regan Charles Cook falls into neither of those brackets for me. A general run of the mill SPFL player who might do alright if he signed for a Hibs or something but even at that, I’m not convinced he’d do that well. Certainly don’t want him anywhere near Ibrox unless it’s in the away dressing room once in a while.

Kind of agree with you but Aribo in the RW position earlier this season was sensational. The problem has come from Gio changing to wingers and that was never required under Gerrard hence the lack of them throughout the squad.
I don’t disagree with you, but it’s back to my point that this years recruitment has been poor. Summer recruitment was poor and the January recruitment looks to be equally as poor. If you bring in a new manager who plays with genuine wingers, you need to buy him a quality genuine winger.

I totally get player trading model, I am fine with it, and fine with the idea players will sign, develop etc and so on but...that comes with two things.

1, it does lead to signing some players who are limited, they won't all work.
2, on occasion a football club does just need to spend a bit of money and add players you know are going to push your level on pretty quick.

I would argue our current situation is closer to number 2, we need someone to help get this title over the line, a rotation of Roofe, Wright and Sakala on the right, ain't it IMO

Agreed his whole point is 8 goals 2 assists this season for the boy as people have said he’s having a purple patch

To compare him to someone who canny sniff the first teams boxers is hastie he had 14 league games 6 goals 1 assist and 1 cup game 1 goal (15games 8 goals for the season when we signed him)

Look at him
Anytime I've seen him he just looks quick with no real end product and scores the odd decent goal. If we didn't already have a squad of 29 players then maybe but in terms of going straight into starting 11 absolutely not.

I totally get player trading model, I am fine with it, and fine with the idea players will sign, develop etc and so on but...that comes with two things.

1, it does lead to signing some players who are limited, they won't all work.
2, on occasion a football club does just need to spend a bit of money and add players you know are going to push your level on pretty quick.

I would argue our current situation is closer to number 2, we need someone to help get this title over the line, a rotation of Roofe, Wright and Sakala on the right, ain't it IMO
1 or 2 quality players could be enough to see us over the line, getting access to CL football and guaranteed £30m +

Sometimes you need to take calculated risks, I’ll hold counsel until the window is shut but it’ll be negligent not to do some business. I get we may need to pay slightly higher but it quite literally could be the difference. The squad needs freshened up and there’s zero point bringing in squad fillers without improving starting 11

Probably covered already but I see The Scotsman linking us with Olimpiu Morutan of Galatasaray.

Rangers have been linked with forward-thinking midfield players this month – Bologna’s Andreas Skov Olsen, Anderlecht’s Francis Amuzu, Joe Rothwell of Blackburn Rovers and Galatasaray’s Olimpiu Morutan have all been mentioned – but none of those fit the exact profile of Hagi.

Morutan, a fellow Romanian, was touted as a replacement for Hagi should he be sold in this window. Hagi has admirers across Europe – Lyon are said to be keen – and the former Steaua Bucharest man may emerge as a more viable target should Van Bronckhorst decide he needs to reinforce.

Probably covered already but I see The Scotsman linking us with Olimpiu Morutan of Galatasaray.

Morutan, a fellow Romanian, was touted as a replacement for Hagi should he be sold in this window. Hagi has admirers across Europe – Lyon are said to be keen – and the former Steaua Bucharest man may emerge as a more viable target should Van Bronckhorst decide he needs to reinforce.

Don't think anyone from that small club improves us.

This is now the 26th January.

When you put it like this, we are FUCKED.

I'd love us to go and get Skov Olsen, he's a top quality player who would go straight into the first team. We haven't brought in many players like over the past few seasons.
He's also relatively young and would therefore potentially make us a lot of money if he does well. Reading between the lines it seems like Bologna are trying to drum up interest and drive up the fee (just like any seller). We know we've got some money to reinvest in the squad so it might come down to where he'd rather play.
Hopefully we can structure a deal that works for all parties. Can't believe there is all this smoke with no fire whatsoever!

Rangers have been linked with forward-thinking midfield players this month – Bologna’s Andreas Skov Olsen, Anderlecht’s Francis Amuzu, Joe Rothwell of Blackburn Rovers and Galatasaray’s Olimpiu Morutan have all been mentioned – but none of those fit the exact profile of Hagi.

Just did the Caskie check on Twitter and whilst Caskie has commented on Morutan before, he only did so after Turkish media reported that we are interested in him.

So I can confirm we aren’t being Caskied with this rumour.

Interestingly whilst Caskie likes Morutan, he doesn’t think Morutan is a suitable replacement for Aribo or Hagi and doesn’t believe he is dynamic enough to play wide like Hagi does at times.

Just did the Caskie check on Twitter and whilst Caskie has commented on Morutan before, he only did so after Turkish media reported that we are interested in him.

So I can confirm we aren’t being Caskied with this rumour.

Interestingly whilst Caskie likes Morutan, he doesn’t think Morutan is a suitable replacement for Aribo or Hagi and doesn’t believe he is dynamic enough to play wide like Hagi does at times.
Thanks. That sounds a wee bit at odds with Transfermarkt, which has him primarily as a RW.

Thanks. That sounds a wee bit at odds with Transfermarkt, which has him primarily as a RW.
I’d take what Caskie says with a pinch of salt tbh. I’d be very surprised if this guy actually watches Turkish football. He strikes me as a pure data analyst type of guy. If he actually does watch all these random leagues then fair enough but nobody has the time to actually do that so he’s probably just done a browse of some YouTube clips and added that to his data analysis.

I think its more likely we’ll get someone in on loan than a permanent signing.

I’m fine with that if they are better than what we have currently.

Next few days will be interesting to see how this goes.
Can look at this in a positive way. I suppose that we’re not getting someone in permanently just for the sake of it and might be able to get someone out with our normal reach using a loan.

Only just adds to the rebuild in the summer though. Loan with an option would be ideal

I like Patrick Caskie, he's a nice enough kid, but he ultimately scouts these players through data. His opinion on players needs to be seen through that lens.
People getting raging at a guy who does these for fun need to direct their anger other places. He’s giving a data driven view on people we are unlikely to watch, it’s not his personal view on the player

Agree - always thought this except for maybe bosmans like souttar that are forced though.

But I’ve also thought it’s not important managing who goes out

Having a good laugh at the posters trying to act like they have any idea what they are talking about regarding the quality or potential of certain players.

The absolute best we are going to get are guys who are currently doing OK in mid to lower levels of other European Leagues. If some winger out there is impressing in Serie A or Ligue 1 then they ain't signing for Rangers.

FFS our most expensive signing was a guy who couldn't make it at Liverpool and had failed loans with Coventry, Barnsley, Freiburg and Bristol City. It just happened that his loan to us was a great fit but nobody on here had any idea it was going to go that way. In fact, I think that on paper Kents career before Rangers was not all that much different from Barkers.

Point is that nobody knows how these things will go. Least of all people on here.

To be honest though we do need to bring in some players now. Even if it's just a couple of loans. Even if it's just a few guys who aren't going to break the bank. The truth is that you need to be willing to gamble and hope for the best. Or at least the manager needs to have confidence in Bacuna, Lundstram, Wright, Sakala, Itten etc to make the difference in the 2nd half of the season.

I wouldn't mind seeing the wishlists of some of the posters unconvinced by Olsen. I think the price is probably too high myself but I don't think anyone on here is going to be very impressed if we are bringing in guys that only cost 1 million or less.

Goalkeeper position is covered. Defense is looking good again and not losing many goals and we have decent back up.

Midfield and up front we are still lacking. We need to do something in those areas or we are going to be sitting here moaning about stupid dropped points from now to the end of the season as we struggle to break teams down.

Every signing is a gamble though. I think we'd have to just go out and bring in 2 or 3 guys and hope that one of them makes it. Sitting tight and trying to wait for the "prefect" candidate before making a move probably isn't going to work for us.

Maybe tonight's performance and result will have an impact on our willingness to take a gamble on a couple of signings.

People getting raging at a guy who does these for fun need to direct their anger other places. He’s giving a data driven view on people we are unlikely to watch, it’s not his personal view on the player
People take almost everything related to a transfer window (and football in general) far too seriously. The number of people who know what they're talking about regarding football is surprisingly small, and none of them spend their time posting on this thread. Ultimately, when we sign a player we have absolutely no clue whether he'll be good or bad.

I don't know if Caskie does these data profiles because he's angling for a job in football or because he has literally no life, but either way it's just an opinion. It's worth about the same as many others on this thread.

Going into this transfer window, the 3 areas of the team that we were most stacked in are CB's, STs and holding midfielders.

So far, we have signed a holding midfielder and CB on a pre-contract while selling our back up RB.

It's been a strange window so far.

Hopefully, we are just leaving it late.

Always find a slight element of BS around the idea every signing is a gamble.

Hellander, signed from Seria A, didn't feel like a gamble.
Defoe, didn't feel like a gamble.
McGregor, didn't feel like a gamble.
Jelavic, didn't feel like a gamble

Prso, Boumsong, Ferguson and his return, they didn't feel like gambles, Kamara, Aribo and Goldson didn't feel like a gamble.

Clubs very often sign players and you have a decent enough idea it is going to be a pretty smart move and upgrade a team

Clearly I am not saying this will happen at all, for a second, it is an example reference only, but if by some miracle we were able to take a player like say Jota from Liverpool on loan this window, that wouldn't feel like any kind of gamble, it would seem a really sensible decision.

He’s absolutely nowhere near the level we require. Having won the league last year, we really needed to kick on this season and put them to the sword. Our transfer activity this year however has been very poor and it’s impacting performances on the pitch.

The fact we’re even in a title race at this point is ridiculous, we should be out of sight by now.

I really hope we scrape through this season and come out on top but if we do then the approach to what level of player we’re signing in the summer has to change. We need to start buying genuine quality and stretch away from this mutants across the city.
How far ahead are you expecting us to be in the league given we've lost 1 game all season?

People take almost everything related to a transfer window (and football in general) far too seriously. The number of people who know what they're talking about regarding football is surprisingly small, and none of them spend their time posting on this thread. Ultimately, when we sign a player we have absolutely no clue whether he'll be good or bad.

I don't know if Caskie does these data profiles because he's angling for a job in football or because he has literally no life, but either way it's just an opinion. It's worth about the same as many others on this thread.
If you have the databases of info ready, it takes hardly anytime at all to creat the kinda graphics he pulls together. Not discrediting it, but see a lotta abuse his way re no life etc, some people just enjoy doing things as a hobby.

Always find a slight element of BS around the idea every signing is a gamble.

Hellander, signed from Seria A, didn't feel like a gamble.
Defoe, didn't feel like a gamble.
McGregor, didn't feel like a gamble.
Jelavic, didn't feel like a gamble

Prso, Boumsong, Ferguson and his return, they didn't feel like gambles, Kamara, Aribo and Goldson didn't feel like a gamble.

Clubs very often sign players and you have a decent enough idea it is going to be a pretty smart move and upgrade a team

Clearly I am not saying this will happen at all, for a second, it is an example reference only, but if by some miracle we were able to take a player like say Jota from Liverpool on loan this window, that wouldn't feel like any kind of gamble, it would seem a really sensible decision.
Goldson was a bit of a gamble considering we were playing 3m for him and he'd hardly played much football since his heart issues.

Goldson was a bit of a gamble considering we were playing 3m for him and he'd hardly played much football since his heart issues.

He hadn't not played because of his heart issues though, he had been on the bench for a season in the EPL, there was enough there to suggest he was going to be a serious upgrade on the CB's that had gone before him.

Charles-Cook is having a really good season but is of a level that an Aberdeen or Hearts should be looking at rather than us, for me.

I would however be interested in Hungbo at Ross County. He’s on loan from Watford so not sure of their plans for him, but his dribbling numbers are excellent and he has a superb left foot. Not someone that would immediately come in and improve us but he’s a good player with plenty of potential to improve.

I'm not meaning to be funny mate but you said a couple of times there that no-body knows how these things will go and also saying about other folk claiming this and that....

and then you go and claim yourself that "the absolute best we will do is...." when you don't know, either?

I am basing that on our previous signing history.

We aren't going to be signing someone from, say, Roma or Napoli who's actually a fantastic player but just doesn't get on with the manager or something. Maybe we could organize a loan for a young guy at a big club who just isn't going to get any game time.

Go through whatever you think our best starting eleven is and tell me who was playing at the highest level in club football right before they signed for us. Probably Davis and McGregor are the two who have actually played at the highest level and both did that while playing for us more than a decade ago.

Common sense tells you the kind of markets we are going to be buying from, the kind of transfer fees we are likely to be paying and the size of other clubs we would be competing with to secure the player.

It's been said so many times on here that we've got a messed up expectation as supporters if we value each of our starting 11 players at 10 million minimum but we also expect the club to strengthen that starting 11 when there's no way we can spend that kind of money.

Is it realistic to expect our transfer dealings to be "Every player in our starting line up is worth 10 to 15 million so let's bring in players that will improve the starting eleven for 1 or 2 million"?

If it were that easy the every club in Europe would just do that.

We should be about 8/9 points clear at the moment IMO.
Agreed.

Two pathetic draws at home to Motherwell and Hearts and already dropped 4 points to the Sheep - not to mention a ridiculous defeat at Tannadice. And that's before you bring in things like the t.arriers scoring in the 159th minute at Ross County.

The cigars should be out already if it wasn't for these f.uck ups.

I’d take what Caskie says with a pinch of salt tbh. I’d be very surprised if this guy actually watches Turkish football. He strikes me as a pure data analyst type of guy. If he actually does watch all these random leagues then fair enough but nobody has the time to actually do that so he’s probably just done a browse of some YouTube clips and added that to his data analysis.
I’m pretty sure Patrick is a Fenerbahce fan so he does watch Turkish football. I’m sure he doesn’t have time to watch all the leagues of players he suggests but I think Turkey is an exception.

If you have the databases of info ready, it takes hardly anytime at all to creat the kinda graphics he pulls together. Not discrediting it, but see a lotta abuse his way re no life etc, some people just enjoy doing things as a hobby.
Yeah I know, I do dataviz for a living. I'm not having a go at the boy, just saying that he's just another guy, and people need to stop treating his opinion as either gospel or absolute shite. He knows about as much as any of the rest of us, which isn't very much. He doesn't know any more or less.

I’ve refrained from the scaremongering but must admit I’m getting a bit concerned now.

The winter break being moved hasn’t helped but I’d really hoped we’d bring in some real quality to help us in this run of games.

Agreed.

Two pathetic draws at home to Motherwell and Hearts and already dropped 4 points to the Sheep - not to mention a ridiculous defeat at Tannadice. And that's before you bring in things like the t.arriers scoring in the 159th minute at Ross County.

Yep exactly that for me. I was probably being conservative with the 8/9 points (was adding on an extra 4 for the two draws at home to Hearts and Motherwell, and possibly a point away to DU from when we lost). As you can see, I haven’t even accounted for the Aberdeen dropped points in either game. We really should be out of sight.

Charles-Cook is having a really good season but is of a level that an Aberdeen or Hearts should be looking at rather than us, for me.

I would however be interested in Hungbo at Ross County. He’s on loan from Watford so not sure of their plans for him, but his dribbling numbers are excellent and he has a superb left foot. Not someone that would immediately come in and improve us but he’s a good player with plenty of potential to improve.

I think Charles-Cook is a good player. It surprises me, given his contract is seemingly ending this summer, that the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen didn't go for him as both have just signed wingers.

Motherwell are another team who could probably afford to sign him and have a need for another attacking option now that they've sold Watt.

Makes me think he's holding out for a move down to England.

Agreed.

Yep, just ridiculous that we drop points in a league season!

Yep exactly that for me. I was probably being conservative with the 8/9 points (was adding on an extra 4 for the two draws at home to Hearts and Motherwell, and possibly a point away to DU from when we lost). As you can see, I haven’t even accounted for the Aberdeen dropped points in either game. We really should be out of sight.
We're on course for 94 points this season. That will easily be enough to win the title, and would have won the title comfortably in five of the last seven seasons.

Aye, I agree with this.

While unlikely, I think if Bologna are actively looking to get rid of Olson then a loan to buy could be an option, although I don’t see why they want to move him on if he plays every week.

It’s not going to look great on the board if we’ve made £5m off Gerrard and his staff, then £12m rising to £16m off Patterson (a potential £21m in two months) and don’t utilise any of it.

I quite like Regan Charles Cook but can't see any sense in that signing at all. He'd be a squad player in the mould of Barker etc but isn't Scottish so doesn't help with the UEFA quota and isn't young enough to consider 'one for the future' either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back