Doekhi talks ongoing apparently

Yeah, we have all seen those players but it's different times now and Goldson is the best CB at this club and he will be very difficult to replace.

Helander is very good when he plays, which is almost never. Paying his wages so we can play an out of position LB in his place 90% of the time means he isn't our best defender. He is a waste of a wage.

Who would you rather have at the club? Goldson or Helander?
In football terms, Helander all day long

Qualify for the CL and Goldson will have something to think about. Go down south on a free for a payday or sign an extension and play in the CL. I don't think it is a given yet that he will be away. Not many players get that opportunity.
I don't think he will either

Qualify for the CL and Goldson will have something to think about. Go down south on a free for a payday or sign an extension and play in the CL. I don't think it is a given yet that he will be away. Not many players get that opportunity.
Can someone show me where Rangers have offered Goldson another contact?

Alex Miller 17 years at the Club, do you think he was better than Brian Laudrup who was there for four years. You can't judge someone on how many games they play
If he was that good why didn't Gerrard snap him up on a pre Contract?
That's just a daft comparison, we are talking about two defenders at a club at the same time one has injury problems and not played many games and the other represented us 200 times and did really well.
Gerrard is shopping in a different market it is like saying why did he not take Barisic or Kamara over Digne and Coutinho.

That's just a daft comparison, we are talking about two defenders at a club at the same time one has injury problems and not played many games and the other represented us 200 times and did really well.
Gerrard is shopping in a different market it is like saying why did he not take Barisic or Kamara over Digne and Coutinho.
Because they are not good enough, that's the harsh reality
Ryan Jack has had injury problems but IMO is the most important player in our squad, frees everyone else up to play their own game
As I said all about opinions

He has been offered a new contract. Seems some people will only realise how good Goldson is until he's gone.
An odd one this, we definitely need him in the first eleven just now but I think we can get better. He/we are not very good at defending balls coming into the box, we are a really soft touch and it needs improved upon big time. It's pretty much teams only way of scoring against us.

Goldson is one of those players who you can tell when he's got something to prove. Tell him he's good and he'll lose concentration, tell him he's shit and he'll prove he's not.

Now the debate has ceased being on football merits I'm off to work
I'd say availability to play matches is huge part of football, would you not?

Goldson has been a solid centre back playing 200 matches for us. One of our players of the year in our record breaking defence last season.

Helander has been injured for the majority of his time here and managed 33 league matches where he has been very good but also had the occasional howler.

One is quite clearly a better signing than the other.

You must think you are the only poster who has see those players many on here have.
How can you compare Helander 33 games at the club V Goldson who's had 200?
Helander is a good defender but seems to have gone on leaps and bounds as a player since he's been injured.
Helander is a better CB than Goldson regardless of appearances.

Although his injury record is a problem.

Think Katic polarises opinion. Some over state his ability, some understate it. I think hes a guy that has ability. His biggest flaws are diving in and distribution. Both can be improved.

Happy to leave it up to Gio though
Best cutting our loses and moving on with Katic imo

The talks must be incredibly complicated to be still on-going - IF they really have been happening everytime the press have reported on it

This isn't a go at you mate it's just something that irks me now and again. Realistically Rangers are getting 6 games in the CL. That's it in all likelihood. 2 will be 'glamourous, 2 'decent' and 2 'run-of-the-mill'. Set that against a season of playing two games each against Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs etc and playing in the EPL wins hands down - especially if it comes with double the salary.

I just don't see the prospect of half a dozen games in the CL as the attraction its made out to be. It IS if its on top of those attractive EPL games but not if its just on top of the SPFL games.

There is no chance he has been offered the highest wage, I would seriously doubt he has even been offered a new contract
He goes with my best wishes but he is not good enough for where we want to go
He's not good enough for where we want to go?

That is absolute pish.

I'd say availability to play matches is huge part of football, would you not?

Goldson has been a solid centre back playing 200 matches for us. One of our players of the year in our record breaking defence last season.

Helander has been injured for the majority of his time here and managed 33 league matches where he has been very good but also had the occasional howler.

One is quite clearly a better signing than the other.

What is helanders appearances? Can’t compare appearances v league as seems to have happened .

He’ll still be unavailable for a lot of games no doubt but he has also been managed a it between him and balogun - ie he could’ve played more.

I do think helander is the better defender, goldson the better footballer, together they are our best partnership.

Alex Miller 17 years at the Club, do you think he was better than Brian Laudrup who was there for four years. You can't judge someone on how many games they play
If he was that good why didn't Gerrard snap him up on a pre Contract?

Gerrard, the guy that made a 500-mile round trip to personally get Goldson to join him at Ibrox, that's the guy you're using to play down Goldson's importance to Rangers?

This isn't a go at you mate it's just something that irks me now and again. Realistically Rangers are getting 6 games in the CL. That's it in all likelihood. 2 will be 'glamourous, 2 'decent' and 2 'run-of-the-mill'. Set that against a season of playing two games each against Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs etc and playing in the EPL wins hands down - especially if it comes with double the salary.

I just don't see the prospect of half a dozen games in the CL as the attraction its made out to be. It IS if its on top of those attractive EPL games but not if its just on top of the SPFL games.
Yup, that's why I say he may have a decision. It is the pinnacle of club football and it's not like he is being capped by England so this is the highest level he will ever get to play at. Whether it is an attraction to him is another story. Just putting it out there - he hasn't signed for us yet but he hasn't signed a pre-contract anywhere else either which suggests he is keeping his options open.

What is helanders appearances? Can’t compare appearances v league as seems to have happened .

He’ll still be unavailable for a lot of games no doubt but he has also been managed a it between him and balogun - ie he could’ve played more.

I do think helander is the better defender, goldson the better footballer, together they are our best partnership.
In all competitions, Helander has played 55 out of 150 matches.

Goldson has played 200 out of 210.

"He’s been offered the highest wage in our wage structure and didn’t take it that’s the facts"

Do you know that for a fact or is it just based on what you've read on here?
No Ross Wilson confirmed as much in an interview said the club won’t break their wage budget for anyone when asked about Goldson.
He then said similar when we signed Ramsey.

Yeah, we have all seen those players but it's different times now and Goldson is the best CB at this club and he will be very difficult to replace.

Helander is very good when he plays, which is almost never. Paying his wages so we can play an out of position LB in his place 90% of the time means he isn't our best defender. He is a waste of a wage.

Who would you rather have at the club? Goldson or Helander?
Helander has played 52 matches in 3 Years.
Goldson has played 192 matches in 4 Years.

You have to factor there has been times where Helander was fit and not played also.
Goldson has always started if fit.

That 90% of the time thing is doesn't make sense if Helander was back and Bassey preffered then it's more logical.

If you were to let Helander and Goldson play 100 matches, no injuries. Near enough any team coming for one of those two are picking Helander.

Goldson only caveat is he's rarely injured and can punt a diagonal. Everywhere else Helander is better.

Goldson can be replaced, the Years of Martin/Bates/Mohsni/Kiernan are over.

Helander has played 52 matches in 3 Years.
Goldson has played 192 matches in 4 Years.

You have to factor there has been times where Helander was fit and not played also.
Goldson has always started if fit.

That 90% of the time thing is doesn't make sense if Helander was back and Bassey preffered then it's more logical.

If you were to let Helander and Goldson play 100 matches, no injuries. Near enough any team coming for one of those two are picking Helander.

Goldson only caveat is he's rarely injured and can punt a diagonal. Everywhere else Helander is better.

We can't just pretend Helander isn't injured most of the time though. Helander is great when he plays but most of the season we are playing his back up or, like now, his back ups back up.

Would clubs pick Helander if he never got injured? Probably. Is that going to happen? No so there's no point imagining it.

Helander will probably be retired before he plays another 100 matches going by this rate.

We can't just pretend Helander isn't injured most of the time though. Helander is great when he plays but most of the season we are playing his back up or, like now, his back ups back up.

Would clubs pick Helander if he never got injured? Probably. Is that going to happen? No so there's no point imagining it.

Helander will probably be retired before he plays another 100 matches going by this rate.
I only used that gauge as I thought you were making him out to be bad.

I agree injuries are an issue and if I had to choose one player Goldson or Helander it'd be Goldson, purely down to being injury free.

But it's all about variables this Summer, so many out goings will be happening, keeping our back line relatively unchanged will be massive. For me, win the League and we have CB options of Doehki, Souttar, Helander and Goldson, we'll be laughing. We as fans and as a Club have to be ambitious to have that level of depth and quality in those positions.

That said if Goldson has moved on bringing a replacement for about 3m I think is realistic.

It never ceases to amaze me what causes some people on FF to have erections or feel the need to masturbate.
Sexy post Sir, one worthy of one's goodself battering one out to.

As for Doehki, believe it when it happens or Fabizio links him to us on twitter. Hooe it does as he looks exactly what we need should Goldson head for pastures new. Thought of them playing alongside each other is Champions League material.

Looks like Goldson, Balogun and Simpson will all leave in the summer. We've got Helander and Souttar coming in, if we get Doekhi that's a great signing. I would say that rather than looking to sing another center half on top of that, giving Katić an extension would make more sense, however that seems unlikely atm
That's quite a few CH's we have that are looking to sing or are already singing. I hope they can also play football.:D

For what it's worth, I think Helander is on or around the same amount of appearances that Kemar Roofe is on for us, with a whole extra season on top of that. It's no wonder we're looking for a new defender to become a consistent force in the backline.

Doekhi looks to fit that bill and I really hope it's beside Goldson. I think Goldson is one of those players that you'll realise there's a hole left when he goes. It was prevalent with no fans just how much he would shout and organise players around him. Even hear it while the stadiums are full sometimes. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bassey generally looked solid beside him. I don't think Bassey plays like that beside Balogun for instance.

Ideally you thank Balogun for his services, tell Simpson that he can find a new club, Katic the same and hope Goldson signs a new contract while we bring in Doekhi and Souttar.

Gives us a Goldson Doekhi partnership with Souttar and Helander itching to play with King as the youth back up.

I actually think Goldson is a better all-round player than Helander, injuries aside. When you take the injuries into account, I would happily let Helander go in the summer if we got a good offer. There's no point in having a great defender if he is rarely available to play.

He's a good player, but as with most players, a long spell out tends to cast a rose-tinted complexion on things, Helander has had some poor games for us in the past too, he wasn't Gough.

Back