The Manager

I sympathise with the general sentiments on this thread. The big question is, do we trust the Board to bring in a manager who will succeed? It seems they have got it it wrong three times out of four in recent times. That is the worrying statistic. Warburton, Pedro and now GVB have got it wrong. SG stopped them, but only won the League once in his time. Seems to me the Board have to look at themselves in the mirror and get it right. Otherwise, the next ten years could be a long challenge.

Yes, he needs his own players.

I have zero faith in Gio being given the resources to buy his own players.

I was all for Gio at the the time, however we're now 5 months into the project and I'm still unable to see any sign of a GvB "style of play" or indeed any signs of the team moving in the right direction. Quite the opposite actually.

Can anyone realistically see us being a massively improved and well coached outfit within 6 months? I can't. I just can't bare the thought of us going through another failed window with Gio, only to see him punted in October and having to start again.

I'd roll the dice again at the end of the season and look to get a spark ahead of next season - as Gio certainly isn't going to provide that spark.

I honestly wonder if we just took the lazy option.

We really need to look at a coach with a track record of building good sides from little resources and is able to build from the back and get the basics right.

We also need to sign four or 5 determined characters fir the squad or it won't matter who the manager is.
I think we did. I think there was a huge element of fan appeasement in appointing GvB because social media, including this site, was for the majority all in. There was already rumblings of discontent about signings, about failing to reach the champions league... I think they did go for the 'let's give them what they want' lazy option.

Yes. Not on Gio today. He picked the team we all wanted.
Other than Europe how many good performances have we put in. The 5-0 win against Hearts is it. Every other game has been a struggle. The style of play is slow and lacking creativity and penetration. There hasn't been much to show that we can do better with other players

If not him, then who?

Folk were salivating for him before he came in. Fact is they have went on a long unbeaten run and not sure even Gerrard could have coped with it.

Can't praise him every other Thursday, then slate him when we fall domestically (largely as a result of European success)

I was all for Gio at the the time, however we're now 5 months into the project and I'm still unable to see any sign of a GvB "style of play" or indeed any signs of the team moving in the right direction. Quite the opposite actually.

Can anyone realistically see us being a massively improved and well coached outfit within 6 months? I can't. I just can't bare the thought of us going through another failed window with Gio, only to see him punted in October and having to start again.

I'd roll the dice again at the end of the season and look to get a spark ahead of next season - as Gio certainly isn't going to provide that spark.
Agree with everything you're saying. I have no idea what Gio is trying to do on the pitch, with Beale & Gerrard within a few weeks you could see some sort of identity.

I miss Michael Beale. He'd have sorted a system to beat them. Gio and his team seem clueless against their all or nothing press.
Unfortunately also seem a bit clueless at breaking down the low block that other teams use in the league. Relying on the players to sort it on the pitch isn't going to work alone.
European football obviously suits them better, but they have to figure out the bread and butter too.

Was chuffed when we got him due to his apparent affection for the club and his credentials. However, he is way too nice and appears to have no real pulling power to bring quality players to us. So I have to say it's a no from me as things stand.

I honestly wonder if we just took the lazy option.

We really need to look at a coach with a track record of building good sides from little resources and is able to build from the back and get the basics right.

We also need to sign four or 5 determined characters fir the squad or it won't matter who the manager is.

I think you need to look at Van Bronckhurst's time at Feyenoord because that's exactly what he did . His first season saw a high turnover of players the club sold their best players and he rebuilt the side with little money. Bought mostly Dutch based players introduced young players from the Feyenoord academy .

He won a cup that season the next season they only spent £650 k net on players. He bought well and signed Stephen Berghius on loan won the league that season. So in my opinion he needs a chance to build his own team this team were in free fall before he arrived .

Him and this loser squad (Ross Wilson also) have given Celtic 40 mil. Sack them all utter disgrace, embarrassing squad of losers.

Picking the players and getting them to play for you, tactics, (including subs btw) are very different from purely picking a team.

Our management staff right now isn’t a good fit domestically, it’s abundantly clear and once the embers of the season burn out the only way to kick on is to replace them

People were saying the same about gerrard when we were doing well in europe but not winning anything domestically.

I see enough to believe that with his own players he could improve us, I don't get the negativity around him.

If he stays he’s going to have some job on his hands next season. Almost an entire rebuild, not good

I said back in September that I felt Gerrard was for the off at the end of the season.

I still wish he was. But he'd be leaving with another title in the bag. That much is clear.
Bet he also wishes the same in hindsight.

Reactions: SDF
I like Gio, I think he's a decent man and I don't think he's a dud by any means. You don't win a title with Feyenoord if you're a shit manager but he's a clear downgrade on Gerrard.

But I don't have the same feeling with him as I did with Gerrard. Gerrard had the clout, the authority, the gravitas for the job that he lacks.

I'd hate to see it go toxic for Gio because he doesn't deserve that. But right now I don't see him as long term successful Rangers manager.
Gerrard got time not people throwing the towel in early.

Guarantee we drop more points than Celtic do in the last 6 games.

ST renewals are out soon, expecting a rise of around 10%. If Gio is still our manager I can see us failing to sell out STs

Yes this squad stopped 10 but you’ve got to look at what we have. This team are not consistent enough to use & build a stronger squad. Most play 1 good game then they have 2 poor ones. It’s nowhere near good enough for a Rangers team.

The entire squad needs a revamp & needs GVB’s stamp on it. Remember no team let’s their best players leave in Jan so it was slim pickings for him. I think he knows this team are Gerrards & not very good in terms of consistency throughout a season. This team shat it 3 out of 4 seasons after Jan. He’ll get his own players in & then be judged.
I think that mentality that stopping Celtic winning 10 in a row is the kind of thing that continues to hold us back.

If Rangers didn’t win that title last year as a symbol of our own progress over a challenging decade then what was it for? The idea that we achieved something by “stopping 10”, or that winning a solitary title somehow made those players legends of Rangers is tin-pot nonsense.
And I fear that too many within our club have gone along with it.

Some of our squad appear surprised that after winning the title last year, it is expected that they go out and do it again.

Gerrard got time not people throwing the towel in early.
Gerrard took over a squad of utter nobodies and got us competing after a summer. We had Halliday/Flanagan types playing for us

Gio has overseen a 12 point swing in 4 months having taken over the champions that went the full domestic league season unbeaten. He doesn’t deserve any goodwill

For people who want Gio out, who would you want to be brought in?

I've heard some say Duncan Ferguson which is laughable. Many wanted Lampard which I also think is bizarre and he's showing at Everton how incompetent he is, even Lennon eventually realised Kenny is rubbish.

Knutsen from Bodo would maybe be worth a shot but is a risk.

The squad needs an overhaul in the summer, bringing in a new manager who doesn't know the league or the team when we will have CL qualifiers in July is a huge ask. I'm still on the fence with Gio but we have to remember these aren't his players and I think giving him a chance to build his own team could be worth it.
The same terrible argument used to defend a manager under pressure . I’ve heard the same on this board when people called for McCoist , warburton , Pedro etc to go .

There’s a wealth of manager out there available to us . The problem is the board have a mixed record with regards to recruiting managers

I think the question is more will the board realistically sack him after 6 months?

I don't think this board would do that. Their record suggests that (good and bad).

The idea of him walking is nonsense. Managers and their staff don't just walk away from payoffs. We need to get real on that one.

He’s a liability… he can go and take the majority of that gutless squad with him.

Why only 2 substitutions again?
Why did Aribo last the 90 minutes?
Why is his master tactic now to put goldson upfront when chasing a game?
He subbed Jack and Ramsey with Thursday in mind does that suggest that he had given up today?

You’d expect if he was asked to sign a player tomorrow the first player he would sign is a winger, which we already have done under him and he doesn’t play, which is a worry

Really want to see him succeed but today he looked totally clueless and accepting of what was going on around him.

I think the question is more will the board realistically sack him after 6 months?

I don't think this board would do that. Their record suggests that (good and bad).

The idea of him walking is nonsense. Managers and their staff don't just walk away from payoffs. We need to get real on that one.
Pedro was sacked after how many months?

If it’s not working, you’re as well cutting your losses asap

Say we get beat in the semi final and finish more than 6 points behind Celtic, should he be given an extra season? Should he fuck

The board fell asleep at the wheel and that was 1 of the factors of Gerrard and Co leaving due to lack of funds.

We go for GvB, who most fans including me, were screaming for. The guy has brought in a few players in Sands, Man Utd kid and Ramsay with none getting pass marks. Our footballing style has regressed at an alarming rate bar Europe but domestic football is our bread and butter.

Do I trust the guy with a multi million pound rebuild? Do I %^*&, plain and simple. Do I think he should go? On the evidence of our domestic form then yes.

People were saying the same about gerrard when we were doing well in europe but not winning anything domestically.
The current management team have the same deck of cards as the last management team had plus January additions and we have regressed. If we don’t win the Scottish Cup Gio HAS to go, the regression is blatantly obvious

He got to be allowed his own summer and transfer window before we can judge.

Who’s going to be sold, who’s going to be replacing certain players?…. Etc…

This season hast been lost because of GVB and his staff. The team were poor before gerrard left

Back