Goldson - Staying another 4 years!!!

So many posts highlighting Goldson has made mistakes. I’m struggling to think of a Rangers centre-back in the last 50 years who didn’t. One of the best had a penchant for own goals.:eek:

Not saying Goldson is anywhere near that sort of level but he’s been an excellent servant for us and a rock in our current defence.

I hope today sees one final effort to get him to sign. Though it will need him to drop his demands.

Goldson has been a great player for us and it feels naturally his time is done happy for him to move and he clearly wants to, good time for both parties to move forward

We move on - and he does too.

But forever though, when i think of the 2022 Europa final i'll think of Goldson not clearing a low cross.
Will you hold that against bassey for his whole career as well? He hesitates and could have got across the front of the striker as he had a view of it. Goldson was in front so didn’t.

It’s to easy to just blame one person for that but at the end of the day a couple of things went wrong for that goal to happen.

Was a bit disappointed he didn't give an interview yesterday.
He leaves with my best wishes.
Just waiting for the cliche Insta post now though!!

Professional footballers play for money and a decent contract for security.
While they will want to play in Europe etc in the end it is their future that counts. Many will always be millionaires but Goldson looking ahead fifty years will want the cash now for future security.
When working I looked after the cash for many of our players (thats 35 years a go) and those of other clubs and being a short career it is their family that counts most.

Regarding central defenders I likes Willie Telfer.

Anyone who pulls on our jersey has my full 100% support and always will.
Connor Goldson is no different from anyone else and has been a great servant to the club.
Having said that I can’t believe he watched that cross come into the box on Wednesday and didn’t attempt to clear it.
I think if he had cleared it we would be the Europa League champions.
Still wish him well if he does leave.
Had a great view of it and couldn’t believe he was so flat footed, don’t know if it’s correct, but some Stato at the Airport said he had been the cause of ten goals against us, like that this Season?

Will you hold that against bassey for his whole career as well? He hesitates and could have got across the front of the striker as he had a view of it. Goldson was in front so didn’t.

It’s to easy to just blame one person for that but at the end of the day a couple of things went wrong for that goal to happen.
See what you mean - but Goldson could have easily been the first to that ball. Regardless of what was going on behind him.

And unlike Bassey - he was alone, without anyone trying to force his way in front of him.

He should have hoofed that cross right into the stadium - in fact he had sufficient space and time to control it and then hoof it into the stadium.

Last edited:
And the semi final v Leipzig when he switched off and gave Nkunku a free strike for their goal as he had turned round and was trying to organise someone else. He could be a solid defender and mostly was, but made more errors than a decent centre back should be. Compared to some of the centre backs we've seen in the last ten years then yes he been one of the top ones.
Blaming him for the Nkunku volley finish is madness mate. Seriously, do people never think teams concede goals? We’re not the best team in the world and they all still concede goals like that.

Ridiculous

The amount of panty wetters on here "clockbait" blah blah blah
I e changed the title for you, wipe your tears
I'm late to this thread, so can you tell me what the original thread title was, please.

I want to know if I would have been mildly, majorly or not-at-all raging? Thanks :D

The man has honoured his contract. Given 100%. Been dignified and never mouthed off about terms or transfers. Always been available to play without a grumble of 'too many games'. Deserves everyone's best wishes, deserves his privacy and hope he gets what he is looking for. And I say that as somewhat of a critic regarding his at times onfield lapses of concentration. He has been a good if unspectacular Ranger. And now it's time to move on. Thanks to him for his efforts.

Goldson was in the main a colossus of a Centre Half for Rangers. Hardly missed a game since he signed with a consistent excellent level of performance despite a few wobbles which can happen with anybody playing the number of games he was involved in. We move on and will replace him with a similar player.

Lol.

You clearly know your Rangers, but do you really think we can't find a replacement for Goldson in the summer? With his wage freed up, and some money taken into account.
Where did I say we couldn’t find a replacement? Yes we can find a replacement but it will cost a fortune

Not fussed in the slightest to be honest.

If he was leaving for family reasons it would've been easy enough to come out and tell us by now. I think we'd all accept that.

If he's leaving for more money he clearly thinks he's better than he is.

Shipped 1 goal on Wednesday, could've been 3. Not unusual for him.
Been a good signing over the piece. He was always available for selection.
That said, there was always a mistake in him and he's certainly not irreplaceable.

Today was the first time I've felt able to watch the Highlights of last Wednesday again. Went to RangersTV and sat though it.

Two things stood out, even with a pro-Rangers edit on RangersTV we were barely in it for the first 90 minutes. Well on top in extra time though.

The other thing I was watching for specifically. Seen more than a few posts saying Goldson turns to Bassey and blames him at the goal. He does not. He turns, arms outstretched, and screams - but he's looking way beyond and to the side of Bassey. He's actually appealing to the Assistant Referee for an offside call that isn't coming.

Doesn't change Goldson's - and Wright's - culpability for the loss of the goal but let's not hang the 'blaming the kid' label on it. It doesn't happen.

We have been good for him and he has been good for us. Wish him all the best and he would be welcomed back any time when visiting. It's likely to be his last big move and you can't grudge him the money. Especially as his career could have come to an end earlier with his heart problem.

He has cost us so many important goals. He doesn't want to stay. Cannot wait to see the back of him. Bang average
He isnt bang average.

He isnt the defensive colossus being made out but in no way was he bang average.

He was a good centre half who was prone to brain farts/poor defensive decisions at times.

Probably more akin to Amoruso but with a far better fitness record.

It will be his ability to be available we will miss the most rather than his defending and passing as thats already replaced in Souttar, just that he is injury prone.

He has cost us so many important goals. He doesn't want to stay. Cannot wait to see the back of him. Bang average

Nkunku asked for his strip after the semi final 2nd leg because he said he'd been the best central defender he'd played against in this season's Europa campaign.

If you're maybe comparing him to Gough and Butcher then yeah, he might be bang average, but he's certainly better than anyone we've had since them.

He's been prone to the odd mistake yes but he's been a giant for us.

The amount of attacks he starts off with big cross balls over to Tav or Kent is ridiculous and we'll see quite quickly next season that we're missing that.

He's been prone to the odd mistake yes but he's been a giant for us.

The amount of attacks he starts off with big cross balls over to Tav or Kent is ridiculous and we'll see quite quickly next season that we're missing that.
Im assuming you havent seen Souttar play then as we definitely wont miss out on that.

Souttar is potentially a better passer of the ball than Goldson

So many posts highlighting Goldson has made mistakes. I’m struggling to think of a Rangers centre-back in the last 50 years who didn’t. One of the best had a penchant for own goals.:eek:

Not saying Goldson is anywhere near that sort of level but he’s been an excellent servant for us and a rock in our current defence.

I hope today sees one final effort to get him to sign. Though it will need him to drop his demands.
How many of our greats went through a domestic season unbeaten and played in a European Final?

Im assuming you havent seen Souttar play then as we definitely wont miss out on that.

Souttar is potentially a better passer of the ball than Goldson

Souttar's passing is very good, as is Goldson's, but Goldson is a far stronger and more dominant defender.

Twice on Saturday Balogun lost Souttar at set pieces and should probably have scored.
Bassey also waltzed past him effortlessly and forced Gordon into a good save.
None of this seems to get a mention.

I'm glad we're signing Souttar and if he stays fit he'll be a decent addition, but he sure isn't a Goldson level replacement.

Souttar's passing is very good, as is Goldson's, but Goldson is a far stronger and more dominant defender.

Twice on Saturday Balogun lost Souttar at set pieces and should probably have scored.
Bassey also waltzed past him effortlessly and forced Gordon into a good save.
None of this seems to get a mention.

I'm glad we're signing Souttar and if he stays fit he'll be a decent addition, but he sure isn't a Goldson level replacement.
Aye Goldson has never lost a man at a corner............

Or stood ball watching at a cross.

He hasnt even left yet and the revisionism on his defensive prowess has commenced

Back