Calvin Bassey discussion thread

I've had that thought too.

If the story re 5 other clubs is correct then, if he is thinking of trying that, he is screwed.

So far I've read of interest from...

Chelsea
BVB
Bayern
Leicester
Villa

I reckon it'll be between Villa and West Ham, which would suit Calvin. If German clubs get involved, it might into daft money, which would be great for us.

It’s got to be £30m minimum for me, for that we can’t say no and it’s a good move all round.

Just hope if he does go we get it done soon, season starts early this year and we need to re-invest and get new players on board

One other positive regarding Bassey is that, while Gerrard debuted him, I thought he developed in leaps and bounds under Gio. Of course, most of the credit for that has to go to Bassey himself, but it should give us encouragement that - if Bassey is sold - Gio has the ability and trust in younger players/fring players to develop any prospects breaking into the team.
This. He was very much a backup player under Gerrard and only played centre back once in Prague as Goldson was missing and Helander injured.

When Gio came in he started the first 10 games at centre back. The first game missed being rotated out for the cup match v Stirling Albion.

That's when the big improvements started to show after getting that run in the team.

Cant see Aston Villa paying another large fee this Summer, they may make a large signing but itll be on a free transfer...

West Ham are an interesting option, they do need younger players and have a lot of money.

From the player's perspective a move to Germany would be ideal but hes probably not good enough for their very best teams, yet at least, and the other clubs tend to favour signing players for less and selling them for large profits.

I reckon it'll be between Villa and West Ham, which would suit Calvin. If German clubs get involved, it might into daft money, which would be great for us.

Against all the odds he may well end up staying at Rangers for next season which would not be a bad thing at all.

Ah right, I hadn't heard West Ham's interest.

Could see him preferring london too.

The times podcast credited West Ham with an interest in young Joe Worrall today too lol.

One other positive regarding Bassey is that, while Gerrard debuted him, I thought he developed in leaps and bounds under Gio. Of course, most of the credit for that has to go to Bassey himself, but it should give us encouragement that - if Bassey is sold - Gio has the ability and trust in younger players/fring players to develop any prospects breaking into the team.
I think that’s a pretty good point that I had missed.

Chelsea must pay at least £45m to win the race for Brighton defender Marc Cucurella.... sure we play in the SPL, but that is the price we should be looking for and with a hefty 20% sell on clause!
It doesn't work that way tho. Playing in scotland will never get you a move to Chelsea or Bayern for £50m etc. Van Dijk and Wanyama examples. Couple of seasons at a Southampton, Villa level then you get your big move. I know nothing about Cucurella but I bet he's not any better than Bassey. But he plays in England.

Cant see Aston Villa paying another large fee this Summer, they may make a large signing but itll be on a free transfer...

West Ham are an interesting option, they do need younger players and have a lot of money.

From the player's perspective a move to Germany would be ideal but hes probably not good enough for their very best teams, yet at least, and the other clubs tend to favour signing players for less and selling them for large profits.

Against all the odds he may well end up staying at Rangers for next season which would not be a bad thing at all.
I'd keep him only if we can extend his contract. Otherwise we will lose north if 20m when he does leave.

I reckon that Gerrard knows our financial situation and might offer a take it or leave it £ 25 million deal. I'm not sure if our Board could turn that down, even though we could possibly get more by holding out for better offers.
We've earned more than £30 Million alone from Europa run, then we sold Patterson, got compo for Gerrard. A lot has changed since that snake snuck out the door.

Then thank God you're not the decision maker, that's just stupidity. Nobody loves the guy more than me but Rangers can't knock back £30m for anyone ffs
Relax buddy in reality I'd bite the hand off for 25.138 million. Unless you're one of these folk that severely undervalue our key and most promising assets?

I would guess there will be serious interest from the London clubs, as that is where his family is and he'd settle immediately. If you include Brighton, there are 8 of them in the EPL next season.

Would love him to stay. He’s been sensational all season. Sadly someone is going to bid for him. I don’t blame the big man if he goes. This is what football is all about. As long as the club get the right money for him. He’s going to keep getting better. He’s phenomenal.

He's a absolute gladiator but 25 million is serious money.Just think what gio could do with 20 million to spend.

To make the wanted trading model work you sell your assets when they have high values (great seasons) to get top dollar.
For me £25m+ and it’s a no brainer. Under that and a successful showing in the CL or another great season sees him go up again (gamble of course).

What if he wants to stay at Rangers' but the club want to sell him?
Surely it would be hypocritical then to ask other players to be loyal to the club

To make the wanted trading model work you sell your assets when they have high values (great seasons) to get top dollar.
For me £25m+ and it’s a no brainer. Under that and a successful showing in the CL or another great season sees him go up again (gamble of course).
I think this is as high as his value gets playing for Rangers tbh

People talk about a cap on players from the Scottish league.

It is worth pointing out that when Tierney left for £25m, he was the same age as Bassey but Scotland was ranked 20th best in Europe at the time. It is now ranked 8th.

Bassey has done far more in one Europa League campaign to enhance his reputation than Tierney ever did playing in the Champion League for a team who were routinely humiliated. He did have some good performances but I also remember him badly struggling in games.

Regarding multiple trophies -- it was during the weakest period in the history of Scottish football when Aberdeen were their main challenger for much of it.

Bassey's outstanding Europa League form this season, making the team of the tournament, standing out against top German sides, becoming an international player for Nigeria, and showing he can play three different positions well at a very high level in Europe puts his value right up there and he could go for a Scottish record fee if and when we choose to sell.
Absolutely! Completely agree with you! If you’d seen my original post, you’ll see I said he should go for more than Teirney. I said £25m- £30m.

Bassey has however only performed at this level for less than a full season.

He has only become a regular in the Rangers first team during this season.

He hasn’t won multiple trophies (and was a bit part player last season). Whether we like it or not, and we can try to put their tainted titles in context as much as we want, the facts are Tierney was a proven winner, multiple times over.

Bassey has never played in the Champions league, never mind over multiple seasons.

As I said the Europa League Final (and campaign) is something he does have that Teirney didn’t have… but again as I said, arguably, overall, Tierney had done more (or proved more) and that’s being generous to Bassey... That’s not to say Bassey hasn’t got more potential, I think he does, and that’s not to say that Bassey can’t be sold for more than Tierney was, I think he can be.

Can see the big man going if rumoured interest is true. Shame we only got half a season at his best if he goes, regardless of fee.

I reckon he will stay here, unless of course we get an astronomical offer in the £35m mark.

I know a lot has been said about no less hat £25m, he’s worth more than that all day long. He’s just impressed in both a Scottish Cup final and a Europa League final, where he essentially was Player of the Match.

Spurs bought the Colombian lad Sanchez from Ajax on the strength of a brilliant performance in a Europa League final. Bassey will be attracting some seriously big clubs and they will have to fork out huge dough. He’s rapid, he’s big and strong off the ball and he’s very good on it and has a brilliant delivery. He’s versatile, can play in multiple positions. He’s still young enough to learn and yet experienced enough to climb high in the game.

He will make Rangers a fortune, it would be daft to knock a fortune back, but we can’t just accept any crazy offer. It needs to be a properly crazy offer imo. Anything around the £35m is crazy enough and should be entertained.

Absolutely! Completely agree with you! If you’d seen my original post, you’ll see I said he should go for more than Teirney. I said £25m- £30m.

He hasn’t won multiple trophies (and was a bit part player last season). Whether we like it or not, and we can try to put their tainted titles in context as much as we want, the facts are Tierney was a proven winner, multiple times over.

Bassey has never played in the Champions league, never mind over multiple seasons.

As I said the Europa League Final (and campaign) is something he does have that Teirney didn’t have… but again as I said, arguably, overall, Tierney had done more (or proved more) and that’s being generous to Bassey... That’s not to say Bassey hasn’t got more potential, I think he does, and that’s not to say that Bassey can’t be sold for more than Tierney was, I think he can be.

They won those trophies with zero competition and got routinely thrashed in Europe.
Tierney is a good player, but injury prone,no chance I'd be taking Tierney over Calvin. It's not even close.

If we get offered 30 million I'd be taking it, even playing in champions league won't increase that value much more for a Scottish player
Exactly what I said to my mate. There’s a glass ceiling no matter how well he plays or what competition he plays in. Such is life when you play in the Scottish league. £30M will be that ceiling I think.

I absolutely love the big man, has all the tool's to make it to the top! IF a bid of 25 million does come in, we'd have to sell IMO. Great bit of business and a some serious money for Gio to reinvest

Exactly what I said to my mate. There’s a glass ceiling no matter how well he plays or what competition he plays in. Such is life when you play in the Scottish league. £30M will be that ceiling I think.
Especially when he's had a great 6 months, if we can get that 30 million we have to take it

Clubs will bid for players based on what they think their skill ceiling is

They dont sit there checking wikipedia pages to see who has accumulated a bunch of medals in a joke of a premier league. If that were the case then Scott Brown would have been worth 50m for all he won but we all know his skill ceiling was no more than SPL cannon fodder.

The bids they got for Tierney was because hes a good player with potential, and guess what, Bassey is also a very good player with huge potential in the game.

It also doesn't matter that he's only made his breakthrough this season, clubs will sit up and take note of performances on the big occasion none more so than the EL final

There are countless players out there who have only made a handful of first team appearances then went on for huge transfer fees despite achieving very little in the game (Amad Diallo?), so like I say your emphasis on winning medals in the SPL means very little to anyone, its all about percevied skill ceilings of players and how far clubs think they can take a player.

Anyone who's watched Bassey this year knows he's going places.

Sky sports are reporting 6 clubs from EPL and Bundesliga have showed an interest.

Also say that Villa are one of the clubs and they are pushing hard to get a deal done quickly.

Villa pushing hard ties in with SG comments a few weeks ago saying he wanted business done early (as he has said most seasons) and the fact they have bagged three players already.
Cheque book wars, yaas bring it on.

What had Tierney done that Bassey hasn’t?

Tierney had 4 full seasons in the top flight under his belt. He’d played in the Champions League, and Europa League. He had 4 titles. 3 x PFA young player awards and 3 x SFWA young player awards.

Bassey has had a good 3 months with 3rd month being exceptional

£15 million upwards is within the parameters of realism

Tierney had 4 full seasons in the top flight under his belt. He’d played in the Champions League, and Europa League. He had 4 titles. 3 x PFA young player awards and 3 x SFWA young player awards.

Bassey has had a good 3 months with 3rd month being exceptional
Bassey has 2 full seasons in the top flight under his belt against a strong Celtic squad. He’s played a full European campaign being a stand out for his team en route to the final while earning MOTM. League title and Scottish cup under his belt.

Take away Tierney’s individual awards, of which were won pretty much by default due to standard of the league at the time and I’m taking Bassey’s CV all day.

Rangers announce 25mill min of gtf, good deal if it happens. We paid approx 250k so nice profit, plus gives Gio some money to spend on reinforcements!

Had been a regular starter for them for a number seasons.

Had played several times in the champions league over a number of seasons.

Had won multiple league titles and trophies.

You can not say any of those 3 things about Bassey, yet! He is working towards them and I expect in time will match them. Bassey has played in a Europa League Final, which is why I said “arguably”, but honestly, Teirney was far more established and proven than Bassey is at this stage. I believe Bassey has more potential though.

This was Bassey’s breakout season, remember he started the season very much as back up to Borna. It is very doubtful if Bassey would have even made the impact he has, if it wasn’t for Borna’s injury/lack of form and other injuries in our defence.
Methadone mick getting pumped in CL is not near as impressive as playing big part in team making a European Final then go on to be MOTM in that final

We absolutely must sell players and rebuild, is Bassey the right one to be sold.

No, we need to be selling players who are stale at us...Aribo...Morelos...Kamara

But you need to have someone willing to buy
Stale ? 2 of them scored in a European semi final and final and played an integral part. 1 is our talisman. stale my arse, youve probably just got football adhd from playing too much football manager and want 10 new signings every year.

Stale ? 2 of them scored in a European semi final and final and played an integral part. 1 is our talisman. stale my arse, youve probably just got football adhd from playing too much football manager and want 10 new signings every year.

What's their contract position? One of the other standout performers is just about to leave us on a free

Would love him to stay, however….

£25-£30 million then it’s a no brainier

Regardless how he develops or performs next season be that in the league, the UCL or the UEL we’re not going command a fee greater than that any time in the near future for any of our players

We gambled last summer to keeping Morelos, Kamara etc. never sold anyone and it paid off by getting us to the UEL final. Patterson money, Gerrard compo and UEL money a great boost but add another £30 million to that in a transfer fee is game changing for the club

Latest posts

Back