The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to temper expectations on lowry just a little. Looks a cracking player with potential but he has played less than a handful of games against jobbers and a hearts team on the beach. He will hopefully, and probably, go on to be a brilliant player but there is no way we gamble right now that he will be a first name on the team sheet RW type player.
Expectations are within temperance levels but ultimately he has to play games and he's clearly good enough to play now. We need a player like him in the team and in Lowry we already have him.

The real madness would be to spend money on a similar player who keeps Lowry on the bench or worse.

I think most of Lowry's game time next season will be in one of the wide positions.
He might play there sometimes because it's easier to get game time there especially with less competition than at attacking mid and the fact it's not as physically demanding for him, but he absolutely shouldn't be converted to a winger never mind our starting one.

I think Lowry is more than capable of playing across the midfield or further forward.

He's fast, direct and consistent none of which Hagi is.
All his attributes suit being at #10, just like Hagi. Close control, great vision and passing, shooting from distance. Just because he is a bit faster and consistent doesn't mean we should shoehorn him in on the wing.

I'd rather sign a proper goal scoring winger that has pace and beat his man, it will be expensive but we have been crying out for it for years.

He might play there sometimes because it's easier to get game time there especially with less competition than at attacking mid and the fact it's not as physically demanding for him, but he absolutely shouldn't be converted to a winger never mind our starting one.

When you look at the games he started for us, he was mostly played either on the right or the left.

With the freedom to move around the pitch and not quite as much defensive duties, it suits his game a lot. I wouldn't be against this at all, and still have a feeling Gio likes an attacking midfielder on one side as opposed to two wide players.

Expectations are within temperance levels but ultimately he has to play games and he's clearly good enough to play now. We need a player like him in the team and in Lowry we already have him.

The real madness would be to spend money on a similar player who keeps Lowry on the bench or worse.
I think there needs to be a happy medium in which he is played but also managed. We definitely need to sign a kent esq RW for me.

If Lowry doesn’t get his chance this season when he’s the type of player we are needing, then I’d question what’s the point of having an academy. He’s 19 now, the boy needs to be given his chance.
This.

The notion we have to wrap our best youth players in cotton wool and "nurture" them until about the ages of 21-23 is such an old school approach we need to break.

Teams in Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal regularly implement their talented youths at 18-19. Just think of the talented players like Florian Wirtz, Jude Bellingham, Erling Håland, Jadon Sancho, Gavi etc that started their first team careers at 17-18 with no issue.

If Lowry doesn’t get his chance this season when he’s the type of player we are needing, then I’d question what’s the point of having an academy. He’s 19 now, the boy needs to be given his chance.

We just banked a record breaking fee for a player and you're questioning the point of having an academy, despite that player coming from through our academy? Bit weird.

As for Lowry's game time, if he's good enough and consistent enough he'll get his chances next season. If he's truly as ready and as good as many people think he is, then he'll nail down a starting spot.

I think Rangers likely have to sell before they can buy, big at least, which limits the options in terms of a real impact signing.

Id suggest Lowry should be our RW next season and thus takes away that area as an immediate concern.

BB has shown too many times he cant perform when the demands are highest and Rangers should make all efforts to offload him. Whether Bassey plays LB or stays CB, we need another player whos a natural at the left of the defense.

Other than that Id suggest by far our immediate focus has to be CM and CF:-

Jack, as good as he can be, is unreliable and simply will not be available enough.
Davo and Scotty Arf are here for the odd game and wont be starters too often.
Kamara isnt going to get over his phobia of a forward pass.

This area has cost us too many silly points when we needed a goal or key from that position to unlock or close out a game, in particular during domestic matches. If we are able to spend money this Summer its got to be here first.

CF is the 2nd most crucial area. Somehow we have, just about, gotten by for years with only 1 real striker in Buff. Hes sensational but the team rely on him for too much and if hes injured its brown trousers time all-round. Roofe is like Jack - never going to be fit enough often enough for Rangers. I think an experienced player who can score goals and is available this Summer is what we need, not another dice roll like Itten or a mad punt on an Scottish League player whos scored a few goals for Squirrel FC. I know we cant afford him specifically but someone like Martin Braithwaite would be a safe bet for a couple of seasons as we upgrade the rest of the team. It would also be good to see Weston play a few times, he needs to bulk and toughen up which only happens with game time.
What happened to the Patterson money, Gerrard money and the countless millions from getting to a UEFA cup final.

If we don’t have at least a budget of 10 million without selling anyone something is far wrong.

What happened to the Patterson money, Gerrard money and the countless millions from getting to a UEFA cup final.

If we don’t have at least a budget of 10 million without selling anyone something is far wrong.

Wages.

We pay a hefty amount of the club's money on wages. We need to sell players in order to free up space in the wage structure. Let's hope by moving on the likes of Balogun and Itten, it has given us enough cash to bring in one or two players. We can't keep adding players to the squad without any movement out the door.

This.

The notion we have to wrap our best youth players in cotton wool and "nurture" them until about the ages of 21-23 is such an old school approach we need to break.

Teams in Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal regularly implement their talented youths at 18-19. Just think of the talented players like Florian Wirtz, Jude Bellingham, Erling Håland, Jadon Sancho, Gavi etc that started their first team careers at 17-18 with no issue.
That's what is known as "survivorship bias" you are listing the tiny minority of players who are thrown in at the deep end very young and make it and saying they did it so everyone can. In reality what European teams who develop talent better than us do well is develop individualised player development pathways. There is no one size fits all approach, they ask what does this player need next in their career and go with that option.
That said we probably don't give our emerging talent enough first team playing time and young Alex looks ready to step up.
Personally I would like to see him as our second choice attacking central midfielder next season and see how he does from there. Calvin started as our second choice left back last season and he did OK this year.

I think Rangers likely have to sell before they can buy, big at least, which limits the options in terms of a real impact signing.

Id suggest Lowry should be our RW next season and thus takes away that area as an immediate concern.

BB has shown too many times he cant perform when the demands are highest and Rangers should make all efforts to offload him. Whether Bassey plays LB or stays CB, we need another player whos a natural at the left of the defense.

Other than that Id suggest by far our immediate focus has to be CM and CF:-

Jack, as good as he can be, is unreliable and simply will not be available enough.
Davo and Scotty Arf are here for the odd game and wont be starters too often.
Kamara isnt going to get over his phobia of a forward pass.

This area has cost us too many silly points when we needed a goal or key from that position to unlock or close out a game, in particular during domestic matches. If we are able to spend money this Summer its got to be here first.

CF is the 2nd most crucial area. Somehow we have, just about, gotten by for years with only 1 real striker in Buff. Hes sensational but the team rely on him for too much and if hes injured its brown trousers time all-round. Roofe is like Jack - never going to be fit enough often enough for Rangers. I think an experienced player who can score goals and is available this Summer is what we need, not another dice roll like Itten or a mad punt on an Scottish League player whos scored a few goals for Squirrel FC. I know we cant afford him specifically but someone like Martin Braithwaite would be a safe bet for a couple of seasons as we upgrade the rest of the team. It would also be good to see Weston play a few times, he needs to bulk and toughen up which only happens with game time.

Lowry is still a work in progress and has a lot of development still ahead of him, before he's a regular starter for us.

The potential is definitely there, but let's not get carried away and pretend he's in the same bracket as players you've mentioned (like Kamara and Jack) who've performed brilliantly against Celtic and top European opposition.

Lowry will feature much more than last season, but he's still got a fair bit to go, before he's an automatic 1st pick in a forward position, the way Kent is.

- Recruiting Gio and his team
- Loans for Ramsey, Diallo, Sands plus £500k for Zukowski.
- Sports direct payoff
- £12m due to clubs for transfers fees
- £13.2m of loans that need paid back
- infrastructure inside and outside the stadium Blue sky lounge Edmiston House etc.
- Massive playing wage bill

Just a few things that all the 'countless millions' we've made from the Euro run that the money will have been spent on.

- Sports direct payoff
- infrastructure inside and outside the stadium Blue sky lounge Edmiston House etc.

Just a few things that all the 'countless millions' we've made from the Euro run that the money will have been spent on.
It makes you shudder to think the position we would be in if we hadn't got a brilliant europa league run.

Alan Nixon who's wrote that article for The Sun about the LB from Stoke is seriously clued up on transfer dealings in and around those leagues.

This might have something too it.
Is he? Not being argumentative as I don’t read the paper apart from what’s on here.

Just from rumours and transfer threads on here though,I can’t remember Alan Nixon ever being right on a Rangers story.

Is he? Not being argumentative as I don’t read the paper apart from what’s on here.

Just from rumours and transfer threads on here though,I can’t remember Alan Nixon ever being right on a Rangers story.

This. I just always hear that ‘Alan Nixon knows his stuff’ about clubs down there. Seems to get some stuff right in articles but don’t remember him ever breaking any news.

This.

While I completely agree with you, I reckon the only difference would be the clogger and hammer thrower nature of our league compared to the less physical and more technical nature of those ones.

It makes you shudder to think the position we would be in if we hadn't got a brilliant europa league run.

Guess this year's accounts will tell us where we are but the loans for example don't need to be paid back now but could be something they decide to do. Just think people expecting a huge pot of money being available are going to be disappointed.

Guess this year's accounts will tell us where we are but the loans for example don't need to be paid back now but could be something they decide to do. Just think people expecting a huge pot of money being available are going to be disappointed.
Why do that though, maximising the amount of time we have to make payments makes more sense. Paying loans or due player fees early because the we got a bit extra money this season is daft, you can invest that extra money in the squad and end up with even more next summer and still meet your deadlines. If we couldn't meet the due dates without that extra EL income then the deals should never have been sanctioned.

Wages.

We pay a hefty amount of the club's money on wages. We need to sell players in order to free up space in the wage structure. Let's hope by moving on the likes of Balogun and Itten, it has given us enough cash to bring in one or two players. We can't keep adding players to the squad without any movement out the door.
We were on track to be self sufficient even before we got to the UEFA cup final.

We have hardly spent a penny In 2 seasons.

If we don’t invest we will go backwards and they will get stronger.

If we sell or move on:
Itten - Sold
Kamara - 3 years left
Aribo - 1 year left
Katic - 1 year left
Barisic - 2 years left
Simpson - 3 years left
Middleton - 1 year left
Hastie - 1 year left

Sell these 5 and I’d hope for £20m as a minimum.

Then use that as a budget to spend on replacements and new contracts for Morelos & Kent.

Add in the wages saved from Ramsey, Diallo, Balogun, Firth & McGregor - you could negotiate the new contracts just from this saving.

Then prioritise quality replacements for the following positions:
GK
LB
Attacking Mid
RW
CF

Even in the bosman market there are some good players to attract in.

Do this and it means we keep Bassey, Morelos & Kent and increase their value long term too.

- Sports direct payoff

I would seriously like to know where your getting all these figures from.

We haven’t paid an transfer fee of note since Roofe.

We have brought in Tonnes of European money in the last few seasons.

If we don’t have the money to spend on 3 decent players we are having the piss ripped out of us just like Uefa cup final tickets.

TY HIM UP

Untitled-design-2022-06-04T203600.349.png

Rangers targeting Stoke City’s £5million-rated defender Josh Tymon

• Alan Nixon
  • 22:30, 4 Jun 2022
  • Updated: 22:30, 4 Jun 2022
RANGERS are targeting Stoke City’s Josh Tymon.
Boss Gio van Bronckhorst wants the £5million-rated left-back but may be forced to wait until late in the window.
Stoke City's Josh Tymon

Stoke City's Josh Tymon
With clubs interested in taking Borna Barisic off Gers’ hands, Tymon, 23, is seen as his replacement.

Van Bronckhorst will have to wait until they either sell the Croatian or qualify for the Champions League groups before being able to fund the move.

Tymon has excelled at Stoke following a move from Hull City at 18.
Raiding runs down the flank are his hallmark, with the Dutchman on the hunt for a defender who joins in the attack.

Loan spells with MK Dons and Portuguese side Famalicao were the making of the former England Under-20 player.

Tymon looks like he would suit us. Wouldn’t say left wing back was the number one priority position, but maybe a move we will see transpire later in the window.

- Sports direct payoff

It really is incredible how many on here just don't get that.

They prefer to think of it as a magic money tree, that covers all losses and loans and you never need to pay anything back.

We also need to remember that interest free loans are also a thing of the past and interest is now accruing, the longer the loans remain unpaid.

@Valley Bluenose previously estimated we'd have a starting figure of about £8/£10 million, plus approximately 50% of any revenue we bring in from any outgoing transfers.

I don't think that will be far off the mark.

If we sell or move on:
Itten - Sold
Kamara - 3 years left
Aribo - 1 year left
Katic - 1 year left
Barisic - 2 years left
Simpson - 3 years left
Middleton - 1 year left
Hastie - 1 year left

Sell these 5 and I’d hope for £20m as a minimum.

Then use that as a budget to spend on replacements and new contracts for Morelos & Kent.

Add in the wages saved from Ramsey, Diallo, Balogun, Firth & McGregor - you could negotiate the new contracts just from this saving.

Then prioritise quality replacements for the following positions:
GK
LB
Attacking Mid
RW
CF

Even in the bosman market there are some good players to attract in.

Do this and it means we keep Bassey, Morelos & Kent and increase their value long term too.
Mate, I'm not crapping on your opinion but you're way off.

We'd get an ok fee for Kamara and maybe our money back or a bit more on Borna.

The rest you're absolutely tripping about.

Yet again, our support completely fail to grasp the notion that when you proactively try to punt certain players you want rid of, you don't get to call the shots on fees.

It's all in our accounts

Ok thanks

This years should be a lot better and if a few million had have been speculated last close season or January we would most likely have made the Champions league twice topping us up 60-80 million.

If we don’t have the money to spend on 3 decent players we are having the piss ripped out of us just like Uefa cup final tickets.
We ran at a loss of £15m-£20m the year Leverkusen put us out.

Perhaps you can explain why you & others on this board incessantly double count chunks of European money that's been in the figures for nearly 4 years?

Every year we talk about staying in Europe after Xmas like its the first time we've done it & all the money is ripe for the transfer kitty.

Ok thanks

This years should be a lot better and if a few million had have been speculated last close season or January we would most likely have made the Champions league twice topping us up 60-80 million.
A solitary CL player would've got us through the qualifiers and/or won us the league?

Can you not just accept you've had it demonstrated to you that your understanding of our finances is non existent and stop doubling down on nonsense?

Mate, I'm not crapping on your opinion but you're way off.

We'd get an ok fee for Kamara and maybe our money back or a bit more on Borna.

The rest you're absolutely tripping about.

Yet again, our support completely fail to grasp the notion that when you proactively try to punt certain players you want rid of, you don't get to call the shots on fees.
I’d say realistically from that list you’d get:
Itten - £1-1.5m
Aribo - £10 if true about a clause at this value, if not maybe a little more
Kamara - £8m
Barisic - £2m
Katic - It was rumoured there was a £3m sale clause with hadjuk split
Simpson - 500k - £1m
Hastie and Middleton release and save wages.

I don’t think there is anything out of the ordinary or unachievable there.

You do know that without European football & any player sales, even without COVID, we lose circa 10-15m a year RL ?

That’s effectively our starting point each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back