The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows who long it will take buff to get back up to speed after a lengthy lay off! I wouldn't count your chickens
The striker position is the most urgent to address, I would like to see us bring someone in by the time pre season starts.

We have lost both Itten and Defoe since the start of last season. Hopefully Morelos is back but we don’t know how long it will take. Roofe can’t be relied on to play a consistent run of games

Got to laugh, remember the rage on here when previous players like Miller and Ferguson were allegedly leaking stories and info to the press, now we run a fairly tight ship with transfer news often coming right out of the blue under the radar, people are raging about the lack of rumours and links.

Business will be going on in the background. The window has just opened. Gio and Wilson will have been working on things since January in all likelihood.

An accurate assessment IMO.

Also too many think we’ll skoosh the league this season as if last season was some sort of unfortunate accident.

We didn’t play well at all in the league for the entire season, including dropping lots of points to utter dross, and 2 abject surrenders to them - whose to say the same players won’t repeat it?

We need several players who are capable of walking straight into the team & staying there - at centre back, in midfield, up front & out wide - we need some fresh faces, hungry & ambitious players, especially if more players leave.

Davis, Arfield & Jack have been great, but their age/robustness will be tested next season. I suspect Aribo, Kamara & Barisic would like to move on, and possibly Bassey, Alfie & Kent as well..

I expect greatness from Lowry if he gets game time, but Sakala & Wright don’t do it for me.

We need to upgrade the team for this season or we will finish second again, I am convinced of it.

You expect greatness?

%^*& me.

See if you focus on the things he is good at….

Energy.
Finishing
Work rate
Carrying the ball forward from midfield with driving runs
Majority of work he does on the ball goes forward
Constant desire to improve himself as a player for Rangers….

….rather than the few things he isn’t, you’d maybe realise he’s a decent player.

He has worked his arse off in training over the last year when things went against him for a period of time and didn’t get much time on the park through no fault of his own. He got the head down and worked his arse off even more and it’s no surprise he started the UEL Final for us.

Sometimes I think people in our support decide a player is shite from the off and won’t ever change their mind on it.
Sometimes? In the internet age its 99% of the time. Too scared to be wrong

Were we actually interested in either of them? Or was it just a suggestion on here that carried on for months?

I think there was interest, but neither were realistic at the sort of prices their clubs wanted. Had it been this summer, there would have been a better chance, although last summer Veerman was quoted at £8m so we would never have spent that regardless.

Veerman wasn't particularly interested in signing for us either, especially once PSV became an option.

The fact we haven't had a natural player in that role since Candeias tells you a story about our recruitment.

Candeias was fine in a poor Pedro team, but we're unrecognisable from that shambles now.

The recruitment you moan about has seen us come from the Pedro/Murty laughing stock, to our 55th League title and serious consistency in Europe, including making a Europa Final, all within a few years.

Btw, if you're still looking for Candeias, he's probably still hiding in Tierney's pocket.

Don't think I've ever seen a full back dominate a winger so much in all my life and a winger so terrified from a full back.

And you’re making assumptions on Gio.

Gerrard was backed previously and, at least, he got Lundstram who he really wanted, a shame he didn’t know what to do with the player.

As Gerrard said, he achieved his target. He couldn’t shake the comedown.
I’m not. I stated if Gio isn’t backed then you’ve no idea what mood he’ll be in.

What assumption am I making?

Gerrard wasn’t backed in the summer either and he alluded to it last season in two separate interviews where he basically had digs at the board for not spending any money in numerous consecutive windows

Let’s not pretend otherwise

Really? By what measure?

By the measure of them having better players than us, this statement really isn't that wild TBH, I am pretty shocked some are still hanging it out as long as this.

It's OK to both support Rangers and realize that teams in the EPL spending a f*ck load more money then us and shopping in far superior markets than us likely have better players than us

I’m not. I stated if Gio isn’t backed then you’ve no idea what mood he’ll be in.

What assumption am I making?

Gerrard wasn’t backed in the summer either and he alluded to it last season in two separate interviews where he basically had digs at the board for not spending any money in numerous consecutive windows

Let’s not pretend otherwise
What you say is absolutely correct, but people constantly forget the reason Gerrard wasn’t backed last summer was because we simply couldn’t back him, not that the board didn’t want to. We were absolutely potless last summer.

What you say is absolutely correct, but people constantly forget the reason Gerrard wasn’t backed last summer was because we simply couldn’t back him, not that the board didn’t want to. We were absolutely potless last summer.

Which was down to Gerrard having too much power and keeping every player he wanted as well as continuously adding to the squad. £26.5m deficit in transfer fees alone and that's before you take in all this free transfers and signing on fees then money wasted on loans like Sadiq, Ejaria etc total myth he wasn't backed in his time at the club.

See if you focus on the things he is good at….

Energy.
Finishing
Work rate
Carrying the ball forward from midfield with driving runs
Majority of work he does on the ball goes forward
Constant desire to improve himself as a player for Rangers….

….rather than the few things he isn’t, you’d maybe realise he’s a decent player.

He has worked his arse off in training over the last year when things went against him for a period of time and didn’t get much time on the park through no fault of his own. He got the head down and worked his arse off even more and it’s no surprise he started the UEL Final for us.

Sometimes I think people in our support decide a player is shite from the off and won’t ever change their mind on it.
Aye but tell us how you really feel?

Wolves will likely take a few of Portos better players in the summer TBH, they tend to do that, because the difference in market they shop in compared to us is a world apart.

They shop in different markets for sure but they aren't a better team.

In fact both sides are frankly horsesh1t.

The only accurate measure we have is European competition and West Ham are levels above these sides and Leicester last season about equal to Villa. That provides a barometer and both these sides fell at semi final stages- one of whom did so having already exited the Europa League in the group stages. Don't understimate the difference in mentality at the clubs.

Too much sky sports for you.

By the measure of them having better players than us, this statement really isn't that wild TBH, I am pretty shocked some are still hanging it out as long as this.

It's OK to both support Rangers and realize that teams in the EPL spending a f*ck load more money then us and shopping in far superior markets than us likely have better players than us
The cumulative effect of playing considerably better teams week in week out in the EPL than we do in Scotland would be something our current squad would probably struggle to deal with over an entire season, but I’m pretty confident we wouldn’t be outclassed by either Villa or Wolves in head to heads.

We’ve played many teams in Europe over the past few seasons that on paper have better players than us yet we’ve never appeared out of our depth.

We might have the trim the squad further it's ridiculously bloated and again this summer it must be addressed we are carrying far too many players who simply don't contribute.
That’s true but I wouldn’t be leaving decent recruitment until after we’ve offloaded all the players we don’t need. Real danger of leaving it too late. We surely want new signings to have a good pre-season and hit the ground running?

Correct. People would rather see us in financial ruin so long as we keep spending. Last season the impact of covid was in full swing. Never underestimate the impact covid had on the books. No fans / match day revenue for that long is massive. It impacted heavily on the pot last summer and the board were hoping champions league money would provide us with the transfer money we needed.

It was a blessing we got to EL final. An absolute god send financially. Winning the league would have been amazing but financially doing well in Europe was far more important.

We will spend this summer - we just need to be patient as it won’t be bulk buying it will be on players who can add real quality. Keeping Goldson is a massive bit of business that some are forgetting about. Had he gone - arguably we may have made a signing by now which would have cost us 4/5million. He’s a new singing in himself. Patience is what is required it’s only June.

Really surprised we have not heard about McGregor yet, clearly the 119 minute substitution wasn't the send off moment we all thought it was.

And it cannot continue as a yearly thing if we hope to have consistent periods of success domestically. The fact is we have to take a hit somewhere and it's probably going to be on the park.

There's a trade-off at play here imo. We're not spending big but we also are not in a rush to break up our first-team squad. Might be different if there were more Davis/Arfields than there are Aribos/Basseys. After another 6-12 months of keeping the wallet in the pocket and we're starting to look a viable investment for proper money and we might be able to attract decent credit facilities.

I've said earlier in the season that winning the league, Europa League final and Scottish cup win is not the end of the journey. The club isn't back where it was pre-2012. Yes, that was ten years ago but we had 4 or 5 years in the wilderness. 3 or 4 years of running on fumes despite doing exceptionally well to win 55 and all the European adventures. Massive commercial downturn slap bang in the middle of attempted financial recovery.

We've been set back at least 18 months of the journey. CL qualification is a massive step forward if it happens but it's not so crucial or stick on that you bet the mortgage on it by spending cash that might be sitting there but is likely accounted for going into the next 6-12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back