The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not. I stated if Gio isn’t backed then you’ve no idea what mood he’ll be in.

What assumption am I making?

Gerrard wasn’t backed in the summer either and he alluded to it last season in two separate interviews where he basically had digs at the board for not spending any money in numerous consecutive windows

Let’s not pretend otherwise
We posted a £24m loss in the last set of accounts.

Gerrard throwing his toys out of the pram because the board didn’t back him more lavishly when he would almost certainly have been aware of that financial position is both disappointing and disingenuous.

Alfie and Helander are going to Portugal prior to the rest of the squad to work on their rehab. Who knows when they will he fit. Hopefully it means they can join full training with the squad when they arrive

Helander had a boot on aroudn th etime of the cup final means hes months away tbh

Anyone know where our team are going to train in Portugal is it Browns ?

I’m sure I read earlier today that Roma haven’t made any contact with Bodo Glimt on Solbakken.

Given that he’s OOC in December I’d be delighted if we were to go for him and Botheim.

Both young, scope to progress, a nice balance of strength & pace & goals.

And we could possibly get both for a total of not much more than 3m quid including signing on fees ?

They would add a lot to us offensively imo.
Good shout.

I’m sure I read earlier today that Roma haven’t made any contact with Bodo Glimt on Solbakken.

Given that he’s OOC in December I’d be delighted if we were to go for him and Botheim.

Both young, scope to progress, a nice balance of strength & pace & goals.

And we could possibly get both for a total of not much more than 3m quid including signing on fees ?

They would add a lot to us offensively imo.
We should be all over this. Roma really dragging their heels with Solbakken deal

I’m not. I stated if Gio isn’t backed then you’ve no idea what mood he’ll be in.

What assumption am I making?

Gerrard wasn’t backed in the summer either and he alluded to it last season in two separate interviews where he basically had digs at the board for not spending any money in numerous consecutive windows

Let’s not pretend otherwise
Gerrard wasn't backed? About his leaving, when do suppose he told the board he wanted to leave?

The cumulative effect of playing considerably better teams week in week out in the EPL than we do in Scotland would be something our current squad would probably struggle to deal with over an entire season, but I’m pretty confident we wouldn’t be outclassed by either Villa or Wolves in head to heads.

We’ve played many teams in Europe over the past few seasons that on paper have better players than us yet we’ve never appeared out of our depth.

I expect (really know) this chat is tedious as f*ck to most reading it, so I plan on half wrapping it, as it is a bit dull.

But, I just flat out can't look at the players we have and look at either squad and think we are better than either TBH, they are a fair old distance removed from each other in terms of depth and quality, I am sort of shocked that some have even debated it.

And it cannot continue as a yearly thing if we hope to have consistent periods of success domestically. The fact is we have to take a hit somewhere and it's probably going to be on the park.

There's a trade-off at play here imo. We're not spending big but we also are not in a rush to break up our first-team squad. Might be different if there were more Davis/Arfields than there are Aribos/Basseys. After another 6-12 months of keeping the wallet in the pocket and we're starting to look a viable investment for proper money and we might be able to attract decent credit facilities.

I've said earlier in the season that winning the league, Europa League final and Scottish cup win is not the end of the journey. The club isn't back where it was pre-2012. Yes, that was ten years ago but we had 4 or 5 years in the wilderness. 3 or 4 years of running on fumes despite doing exceptionally well to win 55 and all the European adventures. Massive commercial downturn slap bang in the middle of attempted financial recovery.

We've been set back at least 18 months of the journey. CL qualification is a massive step forward if it happens but it's not so crucial or stick on that you bet the mortgage on it by spending cash that might be sitting there but is likely accounted for going into the next 6-12 months.
Of course it can’t continue as a yearly thing, last season was the perfect storm of us over spending previously to get 55, Covid, and having terrible commercial revenue, none of which applies this season.

We will spend this close season, and if we sell one of our major assets then we will spend big.

The books ultimately need to be balanced. Our European run was a god send in that regard.

We should be all over this. Roma really dragging their heels with Solbakken deal

Unless they are just hoping to sign him OOC LBN ?

On that basis they can’t speak to him until 1 July I think ? I would love us to offer them 600-700k now & Bodo would rather sell him now than lose him for free ? Even at 1m it would be a great deal for us imo.

If we used the Patterson money on Skov Olson and Veerman we would have won everything last season.

It would have utterly hurled money on our weekly wage and created a deficit that would have been a c*nt ache for us to maintain, they also likely come in as our top earners and it utterly f*ckes up our chances of retention of players on expiring deals

But aye.

Reactions: DJT
Of course it can’t continue as a yearly thing, last season was the perfect storm of us over spending previously to get 55, Covid, and having terrible commercial revenue, none of which applies this season.

We will spend this close season, and if we sell one of our major assets then we will spend big.

The books ultimately need to be balanced. Our European run was a god send in that regard.

I think we'll spend as well but it won't be a major investment because it's not needed unless a major player leaves. Kent would need replaced, as would Morelos for example. Beyond that, I don't see us chucking millions at squad options.

Unless they are just hoping to sign him OOC LBN ?

On that basis they can’t speak to him until 1 July I think ? I would love us to offer them 600-700k now & Bodo would rather sell him now than lose him for free ? Even at 1m it would be a great deal for us imo.
I agree mate for the money that it would cost its an absolute no brainer! Let's hope we are looking at both

I expect (really know) this chat is tedious as f*ck to most reading it, so I plan on half wrapping it, as it is a bit dull.

But, I just flat out can't look at the players we have and look at either squad and think we are better than either TBH, they are a fair old distance removed from each other in terms of depth and quality, I am sort of shocked that some have even debated it.
How did we manage to beat Dortmund and Leipzig then?

I think we'll spend as well but it won't be a major investment because it's not needed unless a major player leaves. Kent would need replaced, as would Morelos for example. Beyond that, I don't see us chucking millions at squad options.
I’m the same, we all agree a first choice RW is our top priority.

Other than that, a couple of squad players, ie a back up striker and centre half.

And obviously more if we sell an important player.

Reactions: DJT
The time to panic isn’t now regarding transfers. Morelos and Kamara will be back for champions league qualifiers, we didn’t have them last year. Souttar will replace helander, we didn’t have him last year. No idea if hagi is back for it. The likes of lundstram and bassey establishing themselves. Like someone else said we will be in a much better position to attack champions league qualifiers even if we don’t bring anyone in beforehand.
We don’t know Morelos will a) be here and b) hit the ground running. We are short on striking options and against decent teams edging through without scoring goals is not so likely.

I’m the same, we all agree a first choice RW is our top priority.

Other than that, a couple of squad players, ie a back up striker and centre half.

And obviously more if we sell an important player.

Aye mate a winger wouldn't go amiss especially with Aribo presumably taking up one of the MF 3 slots under Gio, Hagi out until Xmas at least and Wright being a typical Scottish winger blowing hot and cold. Could even be greedy and ask for a winger that can slot in left or right and be as effective either way.

Probably hee haw in it, but we've had some scouting done on Tsoanelo Letsosa.

Not sure how much they rate him either.

Had some done in the general course of keeping an eye on certain regions and markets or in the sense we've sent a scout to watch him specifically? If you even got that much info that is mate.

see first few lines of post 14,307 bud, no one gives a f*ck about this chat TBH
The problem with this particular chat, now, is that it's just going round in circles.

Some people like to bang on about the exact same thing, some do try to engage in discussions but there's enough that just like to try & shoot people down when they don't share the same opinion so it ends up in a tedious hand bag fight & pointless to really try to have a discussion, some just have blatant agenda's whether that be a particular player, or Ross Wilson, the board as a whole, & there's a distinct element who will just refuse to change their view regardless of anything.

Mix that in with the amount of posters who are 'concerned' that we haven't signed anyone in the first 6 days of the transfer window & you end up with what the thread has become.

Pretty concerning the lack of movement so far in either direction.

Someone said earlier Ross Wilson is on holiday as well? Nice timing for it.

I dont think there's anything to be concerned about at the moment to be honest. There's plenty of time left in the window to get players in and we can't just keep stockpiling players without any movement going out the way the squad is simply too big at the moment.

We need a right winger and a striker to come in challenge Roofe and Alfie but after that our business will be done by who is sold.

Had some done in the general course of keeping an eye on certain regions and markets or in the sense we've sent a scout to watch him specifically? If you even got that much info that is mate.

Specifically him. His name cropped up in a conversation last night. Had seen him play for Scotland youths once and looked rapid and 2 footed but didn't do much apart from score.

Gerrard wasn't backed? About his leaving, when do suppose he told the board he wanted to leave?
Last summer, no he wasn’t and I think it was clear he felt that way given he gave two interviews thereafter where he mentioned lack of spending

If you genuinely think he told the board he wanted to leave last summer and they allowed him to continue then you’re naive

see first few lines of post 14,307 bud, no one gives a f*ck about this chat TBH
I do.

You said Villa and Wolves were a ‘fair old distance better than us’.

I disagree with that.

Your argument seems to be that because they have more money to afford more expensive players this automatically sets them a ‘fair old distance’ apart from us, but by that logic we would never have beaten Dortmund or Leicester would never have won the EPL.

For the avoidance of doubt I’ll stress again that our current squad would struggle to survive in the EPL, but once more, I’m confident we’d give both Villa and Wolves a game of it in head to heads so your distance analogy doesn’t ring true with me.

But hey, if it’s so tedious, feel free to sack it off.

Last summer, no he wasn’t and I think it was clear he felt that way given he gave two interviews thereafter where he mentioned lack of spending

If you genuinely think he told the board he wanted to leave last summer and they allowed him to continue then you’re naive
But he told them he wanted to leave, before leaving? Was this only down to Malmo, or lack of playing funds?

Do something about it then? loads have asked, including myself, that we create a new separate thread for genuine links, rumours etc and another thread for suggestions and general chat?

Would be easy enough to do.

Then we would have two jobby threads

The transfer thread has been the same every year for as long as I can remember

Dont know why folk get so upset

What you say is absolutely correct, but people constantly forget the reason Gerrard wasn’t backed last summer was because we simply couldn’t back him, not that the board didn’t want to. We were absolutely potless last summer.

But Gerrard was told at the end of the season we won the league he would be backed.

A board of Accountants should know how much money we are likely to have available to spend 2-3 months from then.

But Gerrard was told at the end of the season we won the league he would be backed.

A board of Accountants should know how much money we are likely to have available to spend 2-3 months from then.
He was backed, within measure; backed with on and off the park expenditure. Why, if he wasn't backed, did he stay for three years?

If we used the Patterson money on Skov Olson and Veerman we would have won everything last season.
It was too late for Veerman by the time we had Patterson money. Last summer we could have got him I think if we had the money, by January PSV were in for him.

I think there was interest, but neither were realistic at the sort of prices their clubs wanted. Had it been this summer, there would have been a better chance, although last summer Veerman was quoted at £8m so we would never have spent that regardless.

Veerman wasn't particularly interested in signing for us either, especially once PSV became an option.
I think you are correct, i think we did ask. Too expensive, iirc there was talk we were interested at around half of that.

If your heart isn't in it then the SPFL would be a horrible place to ply your trade. As nice a footballer as the lad may be i get the feeling it wouldn't have worked out for him here. I think we dodged a bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back