The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a phenomenal season in europe.

You’re right that we probably won’t, but if we want to get the buy low/sell high model kickstarted, it’s signings like this where we need to speculate. £40k a week.

If we paid £1.2M for him and paid £15k a week, no one would bat an eyelid, but the finances are the same.

I think the issue is if you break your wage structure then you'd get guys like Morelos, Kent, Goldson, Tav etc all wanting similar increases.

It's why Liverpool are playing hardball with Salah and his wage demands.

You’re right that we probably won’t, but if we want to get the buy low/sell high model kickstarted, it’s signings like this where we need to speculate. £40k a week.

If we paid £1.2M for him and paid £15k a week, no one would bat an eyelid, but the finances are the same.

Only if we gave him a one year deal…

I think the issue is if you break your wage structure then you'd get guys like Morelos, Kent, Goldson, Tav etc all wanting similar increases.

Only thing we could do is offer our top salary within the wage structure, plus a higher than average signing on fee.

If it’s not enough then it’s not enough, we move on to our next target.

How dose anyone on here know what our top earners are on? Or what the got to sign on, I don't tell anyone I work with what I get paid how would they know what someone else is on? If not paying a massive fee to sign a free agent I've no issue with paying them more to get them in the door easy to insert a clause telling them they can't disclose what they earn.

I’m miles behind in this thread. What are we arguing about, Botheim’s wages according to the Daily Record?

Čolak obviously got game time in Holland tonight, just seen images of him celebrating one of PAOK’s goals.
Hopefully Colak last game in their colours tonight
We want it sorted as quickly as possible
We seem to get mucked about from Greeks

Wouldn't you have to pay him £1.2M every year of his contract for these figures to be true?

I think Galatasaray are offering £1.7M as a signing on fee. That means just to match them we pay £2.9M 1st year then £1.2M each year of his contract.

There is also the delicate matter of the Agent's fee. No idea what that would be but with these figures, probably not cheap.

The lock or delete button is coming again. Debate without insults or condensing one another.
giphy.webp

Sure, although I’d hope we’re not a million miles off bumping the cap up. We’re going to have to in order to be able to entice a better standard of player.

It’s unfortunately one thing the bheasts have in place that we need to try and compete with.

Not sure which dictionary this is but from a google search:
  1. a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

My old dad told me it was a trades expression for a time served man who lacked experience on a time line of Apprentice, Journeyman Craftsman.

Wouldn't you have to pay him £1.2M every year of his contract for these figures to be true?

I think Galatasaray are offering £1.7M as a signing on fee. That means just to match them we pay £2.9M 1st year then £1.2M each year of his contract.

There is also the delicate matter of the Agent's fee. No idea what that would be but with these figures, probably not cheap.

Sure, but the model we’re supposed to be operating is that we get these guys in, and punt them on for a hefty profit 12-24 months later.

As much as I’m not desperate to lose our best players, the model needs to kick in at some point.

How dose anyone on here know what our top earners are on? Or what the got to sign on, I don't tell anyone I work with what I get paid how would they know what someone else is on? If not paying a massive fee to sign a free agent I've no issue with paying them more to get them in the door easy to
insert a clause telling them they can't disclose what they earn.

Because accountants do payroll recs and tell their pals Who’s on what.

Sure, but the model we’re supposed to be operating is that we get these guys in, and punt them on for a hefty profit 12-24 months later.

As much as I’m not desperate to lose our best players, the model needs to kick in at some point.

The model is rooked if the market is dead. Which it is.

Not sure which dictionary this is but from a google search:
  1. a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

What is a journeyman in football?

The term “journeyman” is used in football to describe a football player who has played for a number of clubs during his career. He is that sort of a footballer who can never play for a club for too long and for one reason or the other has to shift clubs with considerable frequency.
https://www.sportspundit.com › terms

Journeyman | A Football Term

The model is rooked if the market is dead. Which it is.

I don’t think it’s as busy as it once was, but I don’t agree it’s dead. I find it hard to believe that there’s not a lot of interest in the Europa League runners up from the cash rich Premier League.

Sure, although I’d hope we’re not a million miles off bumping the cap up. We’re going to have to in order to be able to entice a better standard of player.

It’s unfortunately one thing the bheasts have in place that we need to try and compete with.

Our wage bill at the start of last season was £33m how much higher do we need to go?

I'm not sure, at this time, we could structure a deal that matches Galatasaray's. Not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

The figures quoted could also be nonsense. If there have been discussions the club will know the figures required. There's a lot of nonsense out there with numbers. People just guessing and once it's out there it gets repeated a million times ans becomes gospel truth.

Right now, Colak seems more likely and to be honest, I'm happy with that atm.

I reckon if you asked 100 people, vast majority would say a journeyman was someone that has played for a lot of teams. I don’t know anyone that would use it in the sense of a player being average.

If a player is bouncing around clubs, it generally suggests he’s average - the meaning has merged, although I’ve seldom seen it used for younger players.

No surprises with our lack of transfers to date and some of the comments on here.

I wouldn't say I'm in the know .... but I'm pretty sure we'll sign Somme Bodie very soon... he fits our profile being aged 23 or 29 when he played in Greece, with a sell on value of millions or 50 used programmes and a penny chew, he was born in Scanda low country in Eastern Europe and was capped by his country at youth level but later switched his allegencies to a West African dictatorship democracy based on his mother's, grandparents, 2nd niece's uncles hairdressers dogwalker, once owing a stamp collection from said country.
He can play through the middle, down the right channel and up.the left wing, is good with all 3 feet and at 8ft 17" sounds like he might win a few headers, he is also box to box, strong in the tackle, comfortable with the ball at his feet and comes off his line for crosses.

But the way things are going I'd be happy if we signed his sister Anie Bodie, but if Ross Wilson is involved we'll no doubt end up with his cousin Nobbie Bodie.
If
Gif game been strong today :))

Our wage bill at the start of last season was £33m how much higher do we need to go?

You’re getting less for your money now and although you don’t always get what you pay for, it’s a decent gauge.

The Tim wage bill is £45M, so either we need to be phenomenally efficient in our investments, or go some way toward matching that in order to continue to compete. I’d say a bit of both is necessary.

They won’t be runaway dominant, but over the course of say 10 years, they’ll win more than they’ll lose if they continue to outspend us by that much.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, at this time, we could structure a deal that matches Galatasaray's. Not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

The figures quoted could also be nonsense. If there have been discussions the club will know the figures required. There's a lot of nonsense out there with numbers. People just guessing and once it's out there it gets repeated a million times ans becomes gospel truth.

Right now, Colak seems more likely and to be honest, I'm happy with that atm.

Yeah, looks like it’s all irrelevant, as we’re not going to throw stupid money at any signing.

I’m happy with Colak, but having both would be phenomenal. Maybe next time!

How dose anyone on here know what our top earners are on? Or what the got to sign on, I don't tell anyone I work with what I get paid how would they know what someone else is on? If not paying a massive fee to sign a free agent I've no issue with paying them more to get them in the door easy to insert a clause telling them they can't disclose what they earn.

Football players have large egos, you can absolutely bet the topic of pay packets is an extremely common one in a dressing room.

Might not be known to the penny but if you’re the top earner in a dressing room and somebody comes in above you that will be found out through some avenue official or otherwise.

It’s not exactly the same as finding out what Joe Bloggs on the floor in my office gets paid.

That's comparable if you are only giving him a once year contract.

One would assume that wouldn't be the case so the amounts involved would increase.

£40k a week over a 4 year contract is considerably higher than your example.

That's comparable if you are only giving him a once year contract.

One would assume that wouldn't be the case so the amounts involved would increase.

£40k a week over a 4 year contract is considerably higher than your example.

As I’ve said though, the idea is that you get them in the door, pump their value and sell them within 12-24 months.

A riskier strategy, but if the scouting team have done their homework, it should be a calculated risk.

We’re arguably already running the risk of going a bit stagnant, so we need to get the player model the board have mooted up and running sooner rather than later.

That’s where my mind was Cav.

Might still not be enough it seems ?
If the interest from the Bundesliga is true as an example, its very difficult to compete both financially and from a quality of league point of view.

You'd need the player to buy into the club size and European nights to compensate for that when attracting them to us. And/or wishing to use us as a step to the EPL in the longer term.

Not all players will want to come unfortunately, as is their right.

As I’ve said though, the idea is that you get them in the door, pump their value and sell them within 12-24 months.

A riskier strategy, but if the scouting team have done their homework, it should be a calculated risk.

We’re arguably already running the risk of going a bit stagnant, so we need to get the player model the board have mooted up and running sooner rather than later.

the players not going to agree to that though, what happens if he comes in and does his ACL in pre season?

Known as “the Boumsong strategy”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back