The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Helander is back on the pitch involved in training.

We will probably run with Goldson and Helander at centre back next season and look to strengthen in the forward areas.

An attacking midfielder and right sided attacker are absolute priorities.

I think things will move much more quickly from tomorrow. I’ve wondered for some time if we’ve been holding of until 1st of July - start of our new financial year - before making any sufficient outlays. Particularly with the new UEFA rules on FFP having a strong season this season financially will help offset if we spend more next year.
Don’t derail the thread with your sensible thinking ffs.

We will probably run with Goldson and Helander at centre back next season and look to strengthen in the forward areas.

It will be Goldson and Souttar and likely Bassey that's if we go 3 at the back in Europe.

If we get the Colak deal sorted, I'll be happy with the squad to then focus on one or two final additions if/when Aribo goes.

Souttar and Colak are good additions to a team that weren't far away from back to back league titles and a European final.

For me, I really yearn for us to add a real quality addition in centre mid. Probably the most poorly invested part of the team in terms of money spent & crucial particularly if we are going to get into the champs league & subsequently compete.

We are also light on CB options imo & need a RW (suspect that will be a loan)

It doesn't need ripped up like many suggest but I am a bit worried that we wont invest (or have the money to) to add the quality that would elevate us to a level above last season

Kenny Miller thinks we might have to accept £6m for Alfie if he doesn't sign a new contract. What is it with our ex players having our players valued at a pittance aswell as talking pish?

I don't think we can accept anything less than £10m for Alfie if he wants to go. Better keeping him for the league/Europe if the offer is that low.

We don't need to sign a centre half. We have Leon King, it would be stupidity to waste money on a Simpson or an Edmundson.

We go into next season With Goldson, Souttar & Helander as our three main established central defenders, with guys like Bassey, Lundstram and Sands capable of filling in if we switch to a back 5.

Should see King get plenty of game time and a chance to establish himself in the first team.

For me, I really yearn for us to add a real quality addition in centre mid. Probably the most poorly invested part of the team in terms of money spent & crucial particularly if we are going to get into the champs league & subsequently compete.

We are also light on CB options imo & need a RW (suspect that will be a loan)

It doesn't need ripped up like many suggest but I am a bit worried that we wont invest (or have the money to) to add the quality that would elevate us to a level above last season

Agree with most of what you say but we aren't light on CB options at all. Our balance is perfect with a view to giving King the chance to step up next season.

Can only sell a played if a) you get an acceptable bid and, more importantly, b) they want to go.

If Kent, Aribo and Morelos, as examples, want to run down their contracts then that’s their prerogative.

It’s not the 70s any more. In fact, more recently, the Dhims would have loved to have ‘moved on’ Bobo Balde. We know how that one panned out.
They seem to manage it well enough on the other side of the city.

The ‘player trading model’ was all that was banged on about at the last two AGMs by the people supposed to be implementing it. It’s a key pillar in us becoming self sufficient but we have failed to do this. I’m sure this had to have been a key remit of the football dept at some point but it hasn’t happened. To say ‘ach well maybe they wanted to run their contracts down anyway’ or ‘maybe no one wants them’ just after they reached a EL isn’t good enough I’m afraid.

Now we’re hamstrung in the market as a result and run the risk of having another poor window which would be the third in succession.

Either way I imagine our target lists look different based on either scenario.

List A based on CL qualification.
List B based on it being EL.

There may be players who are on both lists.

I think Colak & the right winger will be both SSB, and we hopefully get another quality guy if the CL or Qualifying round is achieved ?

My main issue is - No squad players please, quality over quantity.

The season after we won the league, it was clear some players had thought they achieved all there was to do here at Rangers.

Arguably should've signed a RW.
A replacement for Scott Arfield has been on the cards for a year and a half.
And a striker to better back up Alfredo.

Midfield you could maybe argue Lundstram replaced Arfield eventually.

Steven Davis at the end of that season potentially could've gone on to be replaced as well.

That doesn’t chime with being a penalty kick away from winning the Europa & being able to pick themselves up to then win the SC.

There was an inevitable comedown after 55 - a hugely pressured season. If anyone was thinking we would match that last season, then they were always going to be disappointed.

You just wonder, if we get through QR3, will they make that 5m available for an extra player in any position that Gio wants ?
I'm not sure. Perhaps we need to appreciate that there's a lot more to our expenditure than transfers; I wouldn't rule out a percentage of the possible 5m for a player to add depth.

We don't need to sign a centre half. We have Leon King, it would be stupidity to waste money on a Simpson or an Edmundson.

We go into next season With Goldson, Souttar & Helander as our three main established central defenders, with guys like Bassey, Lundstram and Sands capable of filling in if we switch to a back 5.

Should see King get plenty of game time and a chance to establish himself in the first team.
2 of the 3 you listed have major injury issues. We definitely need a quality CH and CM on top of a striker and RW.

Kenny Miller thinks we might have to accept £6m for Alfie if he doesn't sign a new contract. What is it with our ex players having our players valued at a pittance aswell as talking pish?

I don't think we can accept anything less than £10m for Alfie if he wants to go. Better keeping him for the league/Europe if the offer is that low.
I think it was £14m they got for Edouard last summer with only a year left on his contract. We should be looking to get that as a minimum if Alfie is sold this summer, although I'd argue he is worth even more. Hopefully he'll sign a new contract and then we're not under any pressure to sell him this summer

It will be Goldson and Souttar and likely Bassey that's if we go 3 at the back in Europe.
I think our defensive business is finished.

We’ll run with Goldson, Helander, Souttar and King.

Only exits I can see possibly happening is Barisic or Bassey.

We’ve been crying out for quality attacking options for years now it feels. I hope all our focus is put towards that.

I think Colak & the right winger will be both SSB, and we hopefully get another quality guy if the CL or Qualifying round is achieved ?

Completely agree. We should be at a stage where we make the odd signing and it results in someone currently in that position becoming a squad player. For example, a RW meaning wright is a squad player or someone who jumps ahead of borna, arfield etc.

We will need to accept what someone is willing to offer

Completely agree. We should be at a stage where we make the odd signing and it results in someone currently in that position becoming a squad player. For example, a RW meaning wright is a squad player or someone who jumps ahead of borna, arfield etc.

Yep, I’d go with that Tav. I just have a feeling that Borna might go anyway & be replaced.

Recruit right & that’s another wee improvement.

That’s my issue with Colak - quality over quantity. I would much rather we spend whatever budget is available on a right sided forward and a number 8 (who can shoot from range!). If they really want a 3rd option to replace Itten, then use the loan market for that.

2 of the 3 you listed have major injury issues. We definitely need a quality CH and CM on top of a striker and RW.

Only if Helander is sold. It would completely block off King's development path if we had four players for his position in front of him.

People go on all the time about giving our youth a chance, but won't even trust one of our most promising prospects to fill the role of 4th choice central defender. Braga had multiple teenagers playing in their European quarter final against us; we are miles behind at this.

More importantly if money is as tight as people say there's no reason we should be wasting it on a position which is already stacked with bodies instead of giving King a chance.

They seem to manage it well enough on the other side of the city.

The ‘player trading model’ was all that was banged on about at the last two AGMs by the people supposed to be implementing it. It’s a key pillar in us becoming self sufficient but we have failed to do this. I’m sure this had to have been a key remit of the football dept at some point but it hasn’t happened. To say ‘ach well maybe they wanted to run their contracts down anyway’ or ‘maybe no one wants them’ just after they reached a EL isn’t good enough I’m afraid.

Now we’re hamstrung in the market as a result and run the risk of having another poor window which would be the third in succession.
I’ve no idea if the three players I mentioned want to run down their contracts, just to be clear. Nevertheless, it could well be that we’d prefer them to sign extensions - I think most would be happy enough with that? - and that’s a deal to be negotiated. Turning around and saying ‘you’ve got a week to sign’ is only going to alienate the player and, potentially, see him take the very course of action you don’t want.

All speculation on my part, of course. Simply trying to illustrate that all this stuff about ‘moving on’ players etc isn’t as straight forward as some seem to think.

Furthermore, if someone wants to come in with a big bid for one of our players I don’t think you, me or anyone else expects the Club to turn it down out of hand. Bassey remains the one we’d probably be most keen to move on but the Aribo clause probably makes him the most likely. Either requires a buyer though - and a club the player is happy to go to. Maybe they are holding off in the hope that our ‘desperation’ sees us drop the prices? That’s out of our hands.

And, of course, if we sell a player at a knockdown price this forum again goes mental. Can’t win.

Helander Goldson and Souttar as a 3 with Tav and Bassey as attacking wingbacks would be pretty special

Had this out before.

It really isn't. If he doesn't extend we will sell and replace and that's what we should be doing.

That’s my issue with Colak - quality over quantity. I would much rather we spend whatever budget is available on a right sided forward and a number 8 (who can shoot from range!). If they really want a 3rd option to replace Itten, then use the loan market for that.

Yes Shota, but I just can’t help thinking if Colak joins us Roofe may see himself further from the first eleven ?

If I was asked, which I won’t of course, I’d rather put the majority of my cash into that RW slot, as that’s really a first 11 pick mate.

A project signing in Sakala isn't taking us to the Champions League, a loan in Amad Diallo is not taking us to the Champions League, Bacuna certainly fucking wasn't.

These are daft footering about signings that made no immediate or noticeable difference to our starting XI.

So I'll say again since last spending significant money two years ago, we have saw nothing of the same since.

And wee signings here and there that'll perhaps shore up a gap should we get injuries etc, aren't the same as improving your starting XI.

Lundstram was the only last signing we made that actually has made a big difference, a free transfer and parting gift from Gerrard.

Kenny Miller as a player gave us some pretty great highs.

Kenny Miller as a pundit talks pish.

File alongside Barry Ferguson.

Yes Shota, but I just can’t help thinking if Colak joins us Roofe may see himself further from the first eleven ?

If I was asked, which I won’t of course, I’d rather put the majority of my cash into that RW slot, as that’s really a first 11 pick mate.
I don't see Colak coming to warm the bench. He will fight for a place. He will get some game time and will have to show he is good enough.The way it should be.

I don't see Colak coming to warm the bench. He will fight for a place. He will get some game time and will have to show he is good enough.The way it should be.

Right now I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts the QR3 tie HB.

We don’t know what stage Morelos’s recuperation is yet, and GVB likes strong strikers.

I think Helander and Souttar will share the workload alongside Goldson mate.

Both need their game time managed, for injury prevention.

You’ve always been a patient guy BK. Hagi might be out until after Xmas mate ?

It was a reply to who Gerrard played as a 10 on the right side Grigo. In general though I am not a huge fan of Hagi and I would hope Lowry might get the game time in his absence.

Just don't see the point of losing the nut at the moment we still have 4 weeks until the season actually starts and I genuinely don't believe nothing is happening either. I can get peoples frustation over last season because it was our own fault on the park that cost us the title and in my opinion nothing to do with recruitment. Managers approach to games were costly as well. We took a gamble in January and it didn't work but I can also understand why we haven't spent money due to what COVID's done to the club.

I don't think the squad we have is anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be or requires as many signings as people are saying. I do want to see us bring a couple in for the starting 11 to freshen it up especially for the right wing but after that I'm not expecting us to do anything until someone from the 11 goes and it's like for like replacements.

You might well be right. Going by the dreaded YouTube reels, a fit Roofe looks quicker and technically much better, both players can finish and decent in the air. I just don’t see it as an upgrade. Then again, it always comes back to Roofe’s fitness and availability!

This is what I'm clinging on to. I think the penny pinching in the last few windows is what is, rightly, worrying people.
Not having a go JS but in between the last few windows we have had investors putting money in to fund the running losses of the club. Those loans have been converted into shares but they were still needed to keep the club afloat. There is a limit to how many times these guys will put their hands in their pockets.

I understand the desire to shell out on quality but "penny pinching" means there is a club for our children and grandchildren to follow. We are talking millions and millions of pounds. It's not as easy as just spend, spend, spend.

If we get the Colak deal sorted, I'll be happy with the squad to then focus on one or two final additions if/when Aribo goes.

Souttar and Colak are good additions to a team that weren't far away from back to back league titles and a European final.
Still need a RW and in a ideal world replace Helander Simpson and Roofe.

Honestly get the feeling that a lot of the ex-pros are stuck in whatever period they played. £6m was a massive signing in Kenny's prime years - we even got him for about £2m.

Same with Barry Ferguson, his mind is stuck in an era where we couldn't turn down £7.5m for him.

At this point their opinions on transfer fees are useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back