The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t want to derail the transfer thread but what’s the difference In revenue between the CL and EL? I’m guessing £20M

Not insignificant but if we have aspirations of getting out the group again in the worst scenario we’ll need to improve the starting 11.

I cannot see a situation where we don’t sign at least one marquee player for the 11, most likely the right forward we all crave!

I think it's becoming fairly obvious that we have very little to spend which is quite alarming. Perhaps I was being naive but on the back of Gerrard & Patterson money, Europa League money and the highest commercial income in years I was expecting 3-4 players in for around £10-£15 million. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Is it? I’m certainly not an ITK but maybe the club think there will be better value for money at the end of the window?

Nope. 8 players have been in the squad since the start of Gerrards first season and been in it the entire 4 years.

This doesn't account for them being injured for significant spells as well, like Ryan Jack, who basically missed an entire year of football.

The first couple of years the core of the squad was supplemented by dross like Jon Flanagan, Kyle Lafferty, Andy Halliday., Glenn Middleton, Eros Grezda, Shey Ojo, Greg Stewart, Jordan Jones, George Edmundson, Brandon Barker, Jake Hastie, Florian Kamberi, Andy King, Jamie Murphy, Ovie Ejaria, Matt Polster, Umar Sadiq, Lassana Coulibally, Gareth McAuley, Ross McCrorie.

The bulk of the current squad have in the last 2 seasons won the league unbeaten, and absolutely should have won both cups that season, no debate, and won the scottish Cup and reached a European final.

Giving them grief for the first 2 seasons under Gerrard given the tripe that made up the supporting cast is unfair

The team that lost to Aberdeen at Hampden for example contained Umar Sadiq, Jon Flanagan, Ovie Ejaria and Lass Coulibaly. On the sub bench we had Middleton, Jordan Rossiter, Andy Halliday, Eros Grezda! In fact only 6 of the matchday squad thay day are even still at the club, so it's absolute garbage to castigate the "squad" for only winning 2 trophies from 12.
Starting 11 in Seville
McGregor 4 years
Tav longer than 4
Goldson 4
Bassey 2
Borna 4
Jack more than 4
Lundstram last season
Kamara came in half way through Gerrard 1st season
Wright 18 months
Aribo 3 years
Kent 4
So that's 7 payers that have been at club since Gerrard 1st season or more. 1 that's had 3 years and 3 that were relatively new. Morelos would've started if fit so that would've took it to 9 that had been here for 3 or more years. The bulk of the heavy lifting and 1st picks have been here at least since Gerrards 2nd season the majority the 1st.

Can't see us signing a box to box midfielder unless some players are moved on.

Lundstram, Davis, Jack, Sands, Kamara and Arfield all featured in the two at somepoint.
No team really plays with a box to box midfielder anymore .
Starting 11 in Seville
McGregor 4 years
Tav longer than 4
Goldson 4
Bassey 2
Borna 4
Jack more than 4
Lundstram last season
Wright 18 months
Aribo 3 years
Kent 4
So that's 7 payers that have been at club since Gerrard 1st season or more. 1 that's had 3 years and 3 that were relatively new. Morelos would've started if fit so that would've took it to 9 that had been here for 3 or more years. The bulk of the heavy lifting and 1st picks have been here at least since Gerrards 2nd season the majority the 1st.
so ? Do players self destruct after certain amount of games played :) .

Why not be positive that we’ve come from nowhere in the rankings to get ourselves in the top 30 in Europe and gauranteed ourselves Europa group stage? Is positivity just not allowed?
We could stop using the events of the past 10 years as a "look how far we've come" and start believing we belong in rhe group stages of the CL.

Starting 11 in Seville
McGregor 4 years
Tav longer than 4
Goldson 4
Bassey 2
Borna 4
Jack more than 4
Lundstram last season
Wright 18 months
Aribo 3 years
Kent 4
How did you manage to survive the 9iar era?

I don't think our manager fully trusts Sakala and most fans think he's limited.

Hes likable, tries hard and chips in with goals but he isn't a regular starter and if we want to improve its genuine starters we need.
He shouldn’t be anywhere near starting 20 games but will have a part to play, only from wide though.

Starting 11 in Seville
McGregor 4 years
Tav longer than 4
Goldson 4
Bassey 2
Borna 4
Jack more than 4
Lundstram last season
Wright 18 months
Aribo 3 years
Kent 4

So exactly as I have just said then?

The issue in the first two seasons is the rest of the squad outwith the 1st picks was crap. The drop off in quality was really severe. The first picks don't play every game. The game at Tynecastle we lost in the cup for example we had edmundson at CH, Greg Stewart at CF and Shey Ojo had to come on after 30 minutes for Arfield. Hagi had just signed and came on. We had nothing else of note on the bench to try change things in that game though.

Quality issues were resolved in season 3, and we went undefeated in the league and should have won both cups however he manager clearly took his eye off the ball in both, the team selection at St Mirren for example being a shambles.

Is it? I’m certainly not an ITK but maybe the club think there will be better value for money at the end of the window?

Feel like this is an assumption which isn't borne out in practice. Clubs generally aren't queing up to sell players at the death well over a month after the competitive games have already started given lack of time to secure replacements.

You'll get the odd player who doesn't get registered for an EPL squad perhaps available for loan (and from a money perspective would likely be Championship-bound rather than up here) but I feel like by that point most clubs will want settled squads and so it might actually cost more to secure signings then as a result.

As with last year's close season, the board seems to have fallen asleep.
We were unprepared for the qualifiers 12 months ago and it showed against Malmo. Although the team picked up, we stuttered through the early rounds of the Europa. The lack of summer signings cost us the league as we were unable to sustain a domestic challenge while competing in Europe. The galling thing is one or two decent signings would have swung it.
I hope they don't leave it till the winter break to strengthen and are reduced to taking punts like Ramsay.
I fear they have learned nothing.

I still think we need another body in defence. Practically the same defence as before bar Souttar.

Three players in there have issues with injuries. Barišić, Helander and Souttar.

As with last year's close season, the board seems to have fallen asleep.
We were unprepared for the qualifiers 12 months ago and it showed against Malmo. Although the team picked up, we stuttered through the early rounds of the Europa. The lack of summer signings cost us the league as we were unable to sustain a domestic challenge while competing in Europe. The galling thing is one or two decent signings would have swung it.
I hope they don't leave it till the winter break to strengthen and are reduced to taking punts like Ramsay.
I fear they have learned nothing.
They've not fallen asleep we/they simply don't have the funds. It's not really hard to grasp now pretty obvious

Little worried with the lack of signings, interest in players and movement currently. Just seems to be going far to slow for preseason. I’ll be more worried if we go into the CL games with Colak the only addition(if we ever sign him).

Anyone who has been paying attention the last few weeks can clearly see we are being conditioned via the club and fan media for not spending much money.
I can't see much change. Goalkeepers will flip position, Souttar will come in and play on the wrong side of defence. Other than that....our bench might have 1 or 2 new faces.

"But that’s exactly what’s going to happen"

On what evidence are you basing this? We will add to the squad, that much is obvious surely?
How is it obvious? And on what evidence are you basing that on? Seems to me the only movement is for our young bears and B team. If PAOK don't get a replacement Colak isn't coming, that'll be weeks wasted chasing him. There's been zero chat of anyone else.

There is 8 players in the squad who have been at club for the entirety of the last 4 seasons. So this pish about "the squad", winning 2 from 12 needs to be stopped.
It's such a lazy thing to say.

We have improved in every transfer window in those 4 years (I would say bar last Jan).

In the last 2 seasons the majority of this squad has went invincible in the league, won the Scottish Cup and got us to a European final (they have gave us some of the best days of our Rangers supporting lives).

The disrespect it gets from some 'Rangers' fans is a disgrace.

We will spend money and make signings and the squad will improve again.

We also have, for the first time in a long time, a good few youth players who have a great chance of 'making it'.

Really don't get why so many are so negative.

Normally, our transfer business is done very early with targets signed prior to any training camp. There is the odd exception if a top player becomes available. I'm expecting movement within the next two weeks.

How is it obvious? And on what evidence are you basing that on? Seems to me the only movement is for our young bears and B team. If PAOK don't get a replacement Colak isn't coming, that'll be weeks wasted chasing him. There's been zero chat of anyone else.
So you honestly think if we don’t sign Colak then we won’t sign anyone……..really?

Little worried with the lack of signings, interest in players and movement currently. Just seems to be going far to slow for preseason. I’ll be more worried if we go into the CL games with Colak the only addition(if we ever sign him).
But he wouldn't be we've got souttar aswell

There's been zero chat of anyone else.

Publicly, yes. Frustrating as fans on the outside but good by the club. Unless you genuinely believe we have a list of targets that totals 1.

You don't, do you?

It wouldn't be the first time we signed somebody without "chat".

Arguably our DoFs most important transfer window yet.
Kent,Aribo and Morelos have been terrific players for us. I suspect CL Qualification or not, may determine their futures. They will be at the heart of our Qualification efforts. Fail to qualify and I suspect some or all might be sold. Alternatively Qualification might tempt them to stay a bit longer. Wilson says he is relaxed and is best placed to know what the players are thinking about their futures.
Around the edges of the squad,we have too many players, who really need to move on. Get the wages used productively elsewhere.
Mccann,Lowry and King will all see plenty of game time,supplemented by our experienced players. The b team appears well placed in terms of developing and producing future first team players. The recent spate of signings of young players is exciting and indicative of excellent scouting and planning at that level.
With Europa league groups as a minimum and plenty of saleable assets, we appear to be in a relatively healthy situation.
Two months of the transfer window is a long time. I won't be getting my knickers in a twist until the window closes.

So the majority of our starting 11 in a European final have been here for 3 or more years. So what? What's the point?

We all know we need a couple of fresh faces, but that's it. We don't need to gut the entire squad.

That’s a part of our success in that run last season.

Understanding their teammates & their roles in the team, and team spirit.

Evolution not revolution.

I wonder how many on the list of 1000s are realistic targets.

I'd love to know.

Its a bit like last season when we should have strengthened to retain the league yet got to a euro final won the cup and blew the title and riches it guaranteed.

Money is tight and why we aren't splashing but perhaps if we had strengthened more last season we'd have won the league and have had a bigger budget this season to strengthen again?

Our squad isn't at all bad a few fresh faces could make a huge difference.
I’m loathe to compare us to them but I see a comparison to when they brought in 2-3 first team regulars about 5 years ago & it made some difference.

We need the same, one starting central midfielder & one right winger who will play most matches. Then a 3rd striker (Colak) & maybe some competition for Kent & we’re in good shape. Perhaps more needed should we see outgoings such as Aribo.

I’m sakala’s biggest critic probably. I just don’t think he’s a footballer!
But looking at it, last season he played in 50 games, starting only 18 and ended it with 12 goals and 7 assists. Fair play to him tbh.
50 apps and I wonder how many of them were off the bench with game dead and buried or about 10 mins till FT. I think the problem is we all had high hopes he'd either be our nailed on RW or a Striker to compete with Morelos and Roofe.

I'm happy with how his first season went considering he didn't even start 3 games in a row.

I think he's talking about on another show, possibly last week, where it was mentioned we were scouting him. It might have been the podder that lives in Israel that was talking about it.

Probably worth clarifying this. It was The Transfer Show on H&H and yes, it was Andy who lives in Tel Aviv who was commenting. He said that Rangers were one of around 40 teams who had scouts at a recent Israel U19 game and that Gluch was apparently the player drawing general interest.

He didn’t say that we had actually made any enquiries, just that we had a scout at the game and that Gluch is highly rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back