The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously next years accounts will state £6m.

If you're in doubt about the full transfer fee (minus sell-on bonus) we'll receive for Aribo, then it's the following years and then possibly the year after that too, that you want to look at.

If its a guaranteed £10m over time (£6m now and another £4m in future instalments) then the full amount of £10m will be in this years accounts.

If the £4m is dependent on Aribo hitting targets then only the £6m will be in this years accounts.

If its a guaranteed £10m over time (£6m now and another £4m in future instalments) then the full amount of £10m will be in this years accounts.

If the £4m is dependent on Aribo hitting targets then only the £6m will be in this years accounts.
That doesn't make sense to me. Is that really how it works?

Most transfers are done in instalments.

Release clause needs to be paid upfront.

I think we’ve agreed to instalments in this case, to insert a sell on %age with the club.
Most transfers are done in instalments

I know that.

No it doesn't, if the selling club agree to it otherwise.

I think we’ve agreed to instalments in this case, to insert a sell on %age with the club.

Correct. (You've contradicted yourself)

Most transfers are done in instalments

I know that.

No it doesn't, if the selling club agree to it otherwise.

Correct. (You've contradicted yourself)
I must have misunderstood your initial post then, apologies.

Edit: %^*& just re-read the post you replied to, missed the bit I now know you mean. Apologies.

Nah, don’t see why it would work like that because the instalment money wouldn’t be in our account per se.

Then again, I’m not an accountant.

Yes. That is how it works (USA Certified Public Accountant here).

Revenue is only recorded on the Income Statement when it is 100% earned and it has to be recorded in the period that it is earned.
I find it strange how it can be classed as £10m earned in a single financial year, when only £6m is coming in on the first year and more money incoming in following year(s). The total money won't all be transferred to the bank account in that single financial year so surprised it would be counted in full for one year only.

Not doubting you, as an accountant obviously. I just find it strange.

I find it strange how it can be classed as £10m earned in a single financial year, when only £6m is coming in on the first year and more money incoming in following year(s). The total money won't all be transferred to the bank account in that single financial year so surprised it would be counted in full for one year only.

sales are recognised in the period in which they occur.

the cash can be recognised over a period of time. sales do not equal cash. The sale would be recognised in full within the relevant period.

Bongonda would be a good buy I think.

His numbers are very good for a LW. 289 games, 67 goals and 51 assists.
One in four goals and one in six assists, matches I mean.

That’s a low return isn’t it?

I see some trumpet has edited his Wiki page.

Revenue recognition and cash can be different

the cash can be recognised over a period of time. sales do not equal cash. The sale would be recognised in full within the relevant period.
Yeah I just figured that annual financial accounts was basically money in/money out for any given financial year, with any of the following year installments for a deal made that year, accounted for in the forecast for the following year. That would make sense to me.

But I'm not an accountant by any means.

If the £10m is earned now (no future contingencies tied to it or doubt on actually earning it) and only £6M is received NOW with future payments in other years, then the entry would be:

Cash £6M DB
Accts Receivable £4m DB
Revenue £10m CR

That is how it would be recorded in the period in which it is earned.

When the money is received, the entry would be

CASH £??? DB
Accounts Receivable £??? CR

If any of the future money has contingencies attached, the revenue would not be recorded until the contingencies are 100% earned. For example, if there is a £4M contingency payout based on reached a certain number of games or goals, and £6M transfer fee, the entry would be

Cash £6M DB
Revenue £6m CR

Correct

And Sales also have be recognized along with the associated expenses surrounding those Sales (Matching Principle). Otherwise, you have an Enron situation where financials can be false and misleading.

Yeah I just figured that annual financial accounts was basically money in/money out for any given financial year, with any of the following year installments for a deal made that year, accounted for in the forecast for the following year. That would make sense to me.

But I'm not an accountant by any means.
annual accounts reflect the transactions that took place within that financial year, in full. if we sell Aribo and the amount is 10m, albeit the cash to be paid in instalments, the sale will be recorded in full at 10m in this financial year.

if it is not guaranteed income, the revenue isnt recognised. it will be quite simple to see whether it was a 6m or a 10m fee.

If the £10m is earned now (no future contingencies tied to it or doubt on actually earning it) and only £6M is received NOW with future payments in other years, then the entry would be:

Cash £6M DB
Accts Receivable £4m DB
Revenue £10m CR

That is how it would be recorded in the period in which it is earned.

When the money is received, the entry would be

CASH £??? DB
Accounts Receivable £??? CR

If any of the future money has contingencies attached, the revenue would not be recorded until the contingencies are 100% earned. For example, if there is a £4M contingency payout based on reached a certain number of games or goals, and £6M transfer fee, the entry would be

Cash £6M DB
Revenue £6m CR
Okay, cheers for that. I feel like i've basically got a HNC in accountancy now. Might start applying for jobs! :p

Bongonda out-with our price range?
There was a tweet flying about saying he'd been left behind while they went on their preseason as he was being sold.

Whether that's a deal that's been agreed or he's just been bombed out I don't know.

He was their record purchase so would seem strange he's all of a sudden available for transfer unless there's been a falling out or something.

Meanwhile SunSport understands that there is no truth in reports in Finland linking the Gers with HJK Helsinki star Kai Meriluoto.

The Ibrox men snapped up Alfredo Morelos from Helsinki a few seasons back, but reports in the Finnish media on Meriluoto were dismissed as wide of the mark.

Another man the Gers WON'T be pursuing is St Mirren midfielder Dylan Reid.

Contrary to reports elsewhere, the Gers are NOT thought to be in the market for the Saints midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back