How was Yilmaz?

Nervous on debut, looked liked a kid far away from home ... how many Turkish players have made it ?? Kids gonna get home sick without support from fans....borna will be understudy and stand in when needed

That's a really good point regarding him looking like a wing back, I thought so too, maybe one of the main reasons Gio went for him as he would play the wing back role very well in my opinion, good versatility there
I think it’s absolutely the reason he went for him. It suits our style better.

Turks I know all had good things to say when I asked their opinions last week when I was over there.

None of them mentioned that he has got be the smallest left back in World Football.

Myself and my fellow grumpy old mate both agreed he looked a worry.
His lack of physicality stands out to a worrying degree. He is young and today was a big day for him but his use of the ball wasn't great. I think he looked to have also limited pace.

315px-StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

"He's tiny, wee er than Ross Wilson"

"Very worrying"

"He'll get bullied"

"His passing's shite too"

"He's as slow as fook"

"I don't rate the wee prick"

"Get Barisic back in for Tuesday"

"Post it on FF Big Dyl - they hate you anyway :))"

Last edited:
He looked ok, a touch of nerves but that’s to be expected and coming into a side who are not firing on all cylinders is difficult.

The expectations on him are huge though given he is our biggest fee spent since Kent and that will weigh heavily on him.

Josh Tymon at Stoke, who we were linked heavily with for 5m, would have been a better bet IMO and looks more attacking and further along the development path. Watched the highlights from their game v Blackpool yesterday and he was outstanding, setup both goals with 2 fantastic crosses.

5/6 out of 10

He was ok, nervous and at times looked unsure where he should be making his runs - sometimes he came inside others hugged the touchline - the fact it’s his debut / he clearly speaks little English and he has never played more than 15 mins with the players around him he was fine - I am sure there is better to come from him.

People writing him off after less than 90 minutes of football are mentally unhinged.

He had a very shaky start with basic ball control which was almost certainly nerves.There were times that he looked a bit on the slow side.
As for his size and capability if that was a problem then I'm guessing that he would have been shown the door a long time ago.
After all Stuart Munro did more then just well.
On the a plus side he looks as if he actually thinks about what he is doing and can put in an intelligent pass that splits defences.He also looks willing to get stuck in.
He's potentially very promising.Along with Tillman and Lawrence we are beginning imho to see new players who have the potential to think about passing and finding space in an intelligent and useful way.
The squad needs more time to begin to get to know each others style and to anticipate each other next move.
Time will tell and he hasnt had that yet.
Out his with defending. I'm hoping that he will provide something different from a heads down get to the by line and cross straight to a defender style of play.

Really liked the look of him, very fast, and quick to spot a pass; he reads the game quite well, on first impressions.

He's 174cm and Tav is 176cm. He's only 21, once he gets the Polish boys training regime you won't notice it so much, if at all.
He's never going to have the upper body strength of Tav. No training regime can build that muscle that quickly.

That's ok though. It's clear he's going to be a very different type of player. Quicker and a technical player.

Really liked the look of him, very fast, and quick to spot a pass; he reads the game quite well, on first impressions.
If borna put in that performance yesterday he would be getting slated on here. The lad needs time but it was average yesterday.

Wasn’t the best, will obviously take time to get used to the football here in this backwater.

Some writing him off are genuinely mental, but entirely predictable.

Negatives - Will take a bit of time to get used to the fact in Scotland referees won't protect him and he will be kicked, bullied and harrased constantly.
Positives - Intelligent in what he tries to do with the ball. Looked for difficult passes that didn't always come off but easy to see he can mix it up rather than the same old one dimension.
Not sure having him and Sands together will work for a lot of games but don't want xpect Sands to be the Centre.

Wasn’t the best, will obviously take time to get used to the football here in this backwater.

Some writing him off are genuinely mental, but entirely predictable.

I don't think anyone has written him off-there were some stupid comments and comparisons and the usual contradictions-he's fast -he's not fast.

I absolutely believe there would be a lot of knowledgeable Bears who would be surprised at his pedigree and what they saw.

Obviously nervous but you in could see he could spot a pass and hit the ball.
Will just take him a bit of time to get used to us and our league.

There was a post in the match thread yesterday saying he’s definitely not an upgrade on Borna.

Half an hour in, I kid you not!

Looked nervous and could do with a few weeks in the gym but it's his first game one week after leaving home and a different culture with new team mates and a new language. Pretty confident he will come good with focus on strength training and once he is familiar with team mates. Though he played some clever passes inside.

Some of the language is hysterical. “Stunned”, “shocked”.

It's not hysterical I've been watching Rangers since the 70's.

We signed a player. who has a pretty decent pedigree albeit young. I've watched absolute lumps of wood like Herrera and waste of talent like Pena and listened to Bears on here for many months saying they would come good and they had attributes they clearly didn't.

For every belter writing off a player prematurely we have another one saying he looked pretty good and he's going to smash it. Is what it is.

If you read what I wrote I said maybe the occasion was too much for the lad and he didn't show anything like the ability he has.
However I was actually shocked at his physicality and whilst he hit a couple of decent balls in I was taken back by his lack of pace. He also didn't really cover the defence he sat forward a fair bit more than BB normally does.

I will be shocked if he starts on Tuesday but I was shocked at the line up on Tuesday and at Pittodrie and the Piggery last season-I'm hoping the next time I get shocked we get a result.

The lad was a major surprise to the eyes yesterday and I'll be both shocked and stunned B-) if many Bears who didn't feel the same.

It's not hysterical I've been watching Rangers since the 70's.

We signed a player. who has a pretty decent pedigree albeit young. I've watched absolute lumps of wood like Herrera and waste of talent like Pena and listened to Bears on here for many months saying they would come good and they had attributes they clearly didn't.

For every belter writing off a player prematurely we have another one saying he looked pretty good and he's going to smash it. Is what it is.

If you read what I wrote I said maybe the occasion was too much for the lad and he didn't show anything like the ability he has.
However I was actually shocked at his physicality and whilst he hit a couple of decent balls in I was taken back by his lack of pace. He also didn't really cover the defence he sat forward a fair bit more than BB normally does.

I will be shocked if he starts on Tuesday but I was shocked at the line up on Tuesday and at Pittodrie and the Piggery last season-I'm hoping the next time I get shocked we get a result.

The lad was a major surprise to the eyes yesterday and I'll be both shocked and stunned B-) if many Bears who didn't feel the same.
Given the context - he’s barely in the door, will have had very limited exposure to our “ style” and tactics, had next to no practice with the other players style and how they play, I think the criticism is a tad harsh.

He was obviously nervous. I’d have been surprised if he wasn’t on his home debut in front of, dare I say it, an unrealistic audience. He had some nice touches, nice forward passes infield to players in space and he had some not so nice moments like letting the ball slide under his foot. He lost some aerial duels, Goldson and Sands lost plenty too.

Overall, I’d say the expectations of many on this thread seem a bit unrealistic. Give him a bit of time to train with his team mates, learn a system and get his initial nerves out the system and we’ll see what we have.

Given the context - he’s barely in the door, will have had very limited exposure to our “ style” and tactics, had next to no practice with the other players style and how they play, I think the criticism is a tad harsh.

He was obviously nervous. I’d have been surprised if he wasn’t on his home debut in front of, dare I say it, an unrealistic audience. He had some nice touches, nice forward passes infield to players in space and he had some not so nice moments like letting the ball slide under his foot. He lost some aerial duels, Goldson and Sands lost plenty too.

Overall, I’d say the expectations of many on this thread seem a bit unrealistic. Give him a bit of time to train with his team mates, learn a system and get his initial nerves out the system and we’ll see what we have.

That's been acknowledged I think the point I'm making is a different one.

It was his physicality and lack of pace that really surprised. These are two aspects that lie outside of how he performed and IF these are genuine issues they are not going to be easily resolved.
It could be you know the lad's came off and went shit I couldn't even run today and didn't impose myself the way I can....then sure that's just down to nerves.

As always time will tell. For a lad that's played to the level he has and the price we may have paid then yesterday was as I say a bit of a shock.

Are we actually having people saying the young lad was shite? on his first start in a foreign country, doesn’t speak the language.

We saw glimpses. The positive is he didn’t cost us a goal which Borna has done often.

Are we actually having people saying the young lad was shite? on his first start in a foreign country, doesn’t speak the language.

We saw glimpses. The positive is he didn’t cost us a goal which Borna has done often.
Yes. Such is the calibre of some of our fans. One dude compared him to Strapp, who plays for Greenock Morton.

Wasn't going to reply till Tuesday night but yeah.. embarrassing.

I will say this, he made some cracking runs where he just wasn't 'found'.

Once he gets comfortable, with some confidence and learns how to play with the others and they him, I think he'll be a star.

I couldn’t care less about his height and he showed plenty of good signs.

How big is he?

He's definitely bigger than Jordi Alba.

The one thing I was surprised by, was when Lawrence set him up for a 50M foot race with their RB and he quit after 15, he's no Davie Robertson.

We'll see his talents in due course, but no one can deny it was an underwhelming debut.

I will say this, he made some cracking runs where he just wasn't 'found'.

Once he gets comfortable, with some confidence and learns how to play with the others and they him, I think he'll be a star.
He was open in dangerous areas a few times around the edge of Kilmarnocks box. Maybe one more point then I’m done adding to the content of this thread but some of those times he wasn’t found by other players who were playing in their third competitive game. A couple of instances come to mind when Tillman and Lawrence could have used him to put in crosses. There are other players trying to find their feet too.

Yilmaz evidently cuts it at the highest level of Turkish football and is an established international.

Turkish football is a completely different animal to the Scottish game.

He has obvious pedigree in his homeland but will have much to prove here. I think the lad knows that and he was a bit nervy yesterday, perhaps understandably. It sometimes gets overplayed but in this case he truly does have a different culture and language to cope with on top of a whole bunch of new team mates and coaching staff.

By all accounts he has great belief in himself and has tremendous attitude. There are no guarantees in this game but I am betting on him making it at Ibrox - I think he has the character to do so given time.

Meanwhile Borna starts on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Guys saying atleast he looks fast, the killie player Alebiosu dusted him second half, out of all the signings weve made he has the biggest question mark over him for me.
The stoke fullback we were linked with looked more suited to the punt and run league we play in.
Really thought the lundstram colak tillman build was the type we were going after. Worrying on first view.

Shaky debut from him but when a team is targeting you with every goal kick, free kick and long ball then nerves will be an issue.

Looks like he enjoys getting forward and once he settles in he'll be excellent for us.

Guys saying atleast he looks fast, the killie player Alebiosu dusted him second half, out of all the signings weve made he has the biggest question mark over him for me.
The stoke fullback we were linked with looked more suited to the punt and run league we play in.
Really thought the lundstram colak tillman build was the type we were going after. Worrying on first view.
A tad early to get worried mate, he has played 1 game.

He did OK but no more than that. A very safe debut. He didn't impress but didn't do anything wrong either. Far too early to tell.

Physically, shades of the wee lassie the tims signed at left back who was also an international player. A good bulking up regime will see him come good

Back